Hillwalking Thread

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I actually don’t think you’re trying to be a dick here, but you’ve no repeated several times that the risk is zero, in the face of people pointing out that it is categorically incorrect. There is the risk of interacting with people due to various circumstances.

Your right but as you said yourself earlier the risk was minimal. At the time when I set off on Thursday morning I had my day planned and  came to the conclusion that going from my car into the country and back again was acceptable to me. Obviously I could have broke down, or had someone crash into me and needed hospital treatment in a different council area, or any number of things that potentially could have put me in contact with other people. I know we are living through a pandemic and those risks, however minimal, need to hold a bit more weight now. I’m willing to accept I was in the wrong here, but at that point in time I didn’t think I was breaking any rules with regards to travel. 

The risk of you doing something which puts others at risk is virtually zero. 

But if everyone does that same thing then the risk goes up. 

Keep hearing people say they are capable of assessing their own risk and that's fine on an individual basis but not at macro levels.

Also hear bullshit about hills and mental health. I live in the smallest local authority in the country and have enough countryside, hill, forest and loch walks to last me a year on my doorstep.

There is no mental health need to be on An Teallach 

Edited by invergowrie arab

Keep hearing people say they are capable of assessing their own risk and that's fine on an individual basis but not at macro levels.
Also hear bullshit about hills and mental health. I live in the smallest local authority in the country and have enough countryside, hill, forest and loch walks to last me a year on my doorstep.
Agreed too many people obsessed with it has to be 3000 feet club.
Had lots of great flat walks like fife costal path or forrest walks.
Not much pleasure in driving for hours then rushing up and down a hill.

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Well I’m sorry to disappoint you but that’s just not true. It wouldn’t have mattered if it was a 4 hour round trip or a 144 hour round trip, the risk of me spreading the virus while sitting in the confines of my own car is zero, absolutely zero. I’m quite able to make that judgement call myself. I wasn’t rolling the window down to cough on pedestrians. 

As I said, I was going to a place I have been before. It’s in the middle of nowhere, a small car park and a nice long trail around vast expanses of absolutely nothing. Again, I could quite confidently say that during that walk the risk of me infecting another human being with Covid 19 was zero. After weighing up those risks, and being unaware that travelling that distance wasn’t permitted, I was quite happy to get out for a nice drive and nice walk content with the fact that I was posing no risk to any other person. 

If I had decided to pop into a local newsagents, and then fill my car up with diesel and buy a packet of crisps, and take a walk along Fort William High Street, that would be a disregard of the rules and would be putting other people at risk of the virus. Fair enough if people think I was chancing my arm and just wanted a nice day out with no regard for the rules, at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter a great deal, but that wasn’t the plan. The police were sound enough and are obviously just doing the job they have been told to do, I’ve no problem with that. I’m more than happy to abide by the restrictions for as long as is needed. 

You're quite clearly not happy to abide by them though, given that your blustering nonsense about exercising self-judgment - which presumably the other 2 million plus people living in the Central Belt are entitled to exercise and can waltz around the country as they see fit - as well as 'not knowing' that travelling from Glasgow to the middle of the Highlands for non-essential purposes went against the letter and now the law of restrictions when it has been broadcast from pillar to post for weeks.

Nobody is an angel under restrictions and the majority of people break them in some way or another: they just don't have the brass neck to bitch and whine about it if they get caught.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

You're quite clearly not happy to abide by them though, given that your blustering nonsense about exercising self-judgment - which presumably the other 2 million plus people living in the Central Belt are entitled to exercise and can waltz around the country as they see fit - as well as 'not knowing' that travelling from Glasgow to the middle of the Highlands for non-essential purposes went against the letter and now the law of restrictions when it has been broadcast from pillar to post for weeks.

Nobody is an angel under restrictions and the majority of people break them in some way or another: they just don't have the brass neck to bitch and whine about it if they get caught.

In the name of the wee man :lol: calm yourself down to a riot. 

That’s a genuine talent you’ve got to be able to gather that much insight into my behaviour from a few posts on a forum. For all you know I’ve been locked in my house for the last 6 months and that was my first time outside. Obviously it wasn’t but I think you might be able to find better things to do with your time than to be so certain of how I, a person you don’t know from Adam, treats these restrictions. 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Your first two sentences are spot on tbh, nothing else really needs to be said in regards to the rules. That was something I should have given more consideration. 

It doesn't actually matter how often you've been outside in the last six months - just as indeed your previous excuse about 'but I wasn't going into Fort William' was irrelevant as well. You knew fine well that you shouldn't be travelling four hours for a hill walk, chanced your arm anyway, got caught and got turned around. 

Get off your cross about it. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

It doesn't actually matter how often you've been outside in the last six months - just as indeed your previous excuse about 'but I wasn't going into Fort William' was irrelevant as well. You knew fine well that you shouldn't be travelling four hours for a hill walk, chanced your arm anyway, got caught and got turned around. 

Give yourself peace ya lunatic :lol: 

Genuinely amazed that someone can hold such strong opinions like this on something as irrelevant as a football forum. Your obviously a clever guy going by other posts I’ve read from you in the past, don’t waste your energy trying to psychoanalyse my lockdown behaviours on the basis of words on a screen. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

He is antsy about it. Could do with putting the phone down and going for a.... Wait a minute 🤔

As someone who stays bang on the NC500 I can't stand those central belt knobbers that rock up here to 'go for a walk'. Passed the An Teallach car parks today going to work and thankfully they were empty.

Plus side of the old virus is I only had to cut the grass twice this year. Unreal amounts of deer and rabbits kept knibbling and only after the liftage of lockdown did the corpses toll at the side of the road start to appear.

13 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Give yourself peace ya lunatic :lol: 

Genuinely amazed that someone can hold such strong opinions like this on something as irrelevant as a football forum. Your obviously a clever guy going by other posts I’ve read from you in the past, don’t waste your energy trying to psychoanalyse my lockdown behaviours on the basis of words on a screen. 

The only person who raised your 'behaviors' [sic] during lockdown was yourself, as yet another excuse to go for a fly hillwalk in another part of the country. It's still irrelevant though. 

My opinions on the action are not actually that strong: it breaches restrictions but most people have done so at some stage or another. It's hardly crime of the century material.

It is your subsequent attempts to feign ignorance aboutfeign ignorance the situation and garner sympathy for getting turned round that draw my ire and rightly so.

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

How did the NC500 even start? I've not been up that far north since it became a thing but it sounds like it's completely ruined an otherwise incredibly peaceful part of the world. 

Private boys/went sort of viral. It's horrendous.

Just means Mixu keep to the wee roads when you visit.

Plus they stop everywhere for photos and filming. The amount of times you see the convoys of VW Golf Mk1's stopping, and one going past as they all film it in portrait mode on their iPhones is mental.

Utter whelts.

Edited by Manifesto

1 minute ago, Manifesto said:

As someone who stays bang on the NC500 I can't stand those central belt knobbers that rock up here to 'go for a walk'. Passed the An Teallach car parks today going to work and thankfully they were empty.

If you can’t stand people that travel around their own country to ‘go for a walk’ then I think that says more about you tbh. 

Just because you stay close to something doesn’t give you any sort of ownership of it. What have you done that someone from Glasgow hasn’t that allows you to think like that. It’s as much the ‘central belt knobbers’ to enjoy and explore than it is yours. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

The only person who raised your 'behaviors' [sic] during lockdown was yourself, as yet another excuse to go for a fly hillwalk in another part of the country. It's still irrelevant though. 

My opinions on the action are not actually that strong: it breaches restrictions but most people have done so at some stage or another. It's hardly crime of the century material.

It is your subsequent attempts to feign ignorance aboutfeign ignorance the situation and garner sympathy for getting turned round that draw my ire and rightly so.

Ok I think we can leave it there now. Thanks for all the attempts to feign ignorance aboutfeign ignorance [sic]. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

If you can’t stand people that travel around their own country to ‘go for a walk’ then I think that says more about you tbh. 

Just because you stay close to something doesn’t give you any sort of ownership of it. What have you done that someone from Glasgow hasn’t that allows you to think like that. It’s as much the ‘central belt knobbers’ to enjoy and explore than it is yours. 

My.

You're a peach.

The only blessing about the NC500 is they take the A9 to Wick when Alness to Tongue is by far the better route.

Absolute vampires though. Put nothing into the local economy.

Some private equity chancers tried to same with the Heartland 500 in Perthshire and the Trossachs and got told to f**k off.

7 minutes ago, Manifesto said:

Private boys/went sort of viral. It's horrendous.

Just means Mixu keep to the wee roads when you visit.

Plus they stop everywhere for photos and filming. The amount of times you see the convoys of VW Golf Mk1's stopping, and one going past as they all film it in portrait mode on their iPhones is mental.

Utter whelts.

What a miserable existence you must lead. Living in one of the most scenic parts of our country and your losing the rag about people visiting and taking pictures. I realise it’s not set up for large amounts of visitors and I sympathise that some of the visitors don’t respect the area, but again you have done nothing to claim any sort of ownership of it other than just living near it. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

What a miserable existence you must lead. Living in one of the most scenic parts of our country and your losing the rag about people visiting and taking pictures. I realise it’s not set up for large amounts of visitors and I sympathise that some of the visitors don’t respect the area, but again you have done nothing to claim any sort of ownership of it other than just living near it. 

😊

Quoted for posterity.

* For 'posterity' means 'Heads Gone' thread....

ETA.... The Locals put out hundreds of trowels in every lay bye for miles. So the knobbers would at least bury their own faeces , the Central Belt knobbers have knicked all the trowels now, so don't stop in a lay bye.

Edited by Manifesto

Tbf folk living there didn't ask for the NC500 clusterfuck and it generates absolute buttons for the local economy. The disrespect and damage to the local environment has been particularly dreadful this year.

56 minutes ago, Manifesto said:

😊

Quoted for posterity.

* For 'posterity' means 'Heads Gone' thread....

ETA.... The Locals put out hundreds of trowels in every lay bye for miles. So the knobbers would at least bury their own faeces , the Central Belt knobbers have knicked all the trowels now, so don't stop in a lay bye.

There is (or at least was) shite everywhere. I stopped at Glascarnoch in August when it was really low to walk along the old road and it was absolutely disgusting next to the lay-by. My folks live quite near you by the sound of it and there were a lot of vans and associated shite (literally) on their dead end road.

NC 500 is a massive scam, hugely stretching infrastructure, encouraging dicks in fast cars to drive dangerously whilst the “organisers” give nothing back.

The NC500 is a bit of an abomination and could really do with being stopped from an advertising point of view (although the genie obviously can't go back in the bottle). Convoys of the same types of car racing each other and armadas of Great White motorhomes seem to be the main thing and that is the opposite of what long stretches of single track need. It must be a nightmare living up there in the summer and I'm certainly avoiding it completely at high season which is a shame as it is my favourite part of Scotland.

Sutherland especially was a genuine backwater when I started going up there, even in summer - but now it's mental during the English holidays. The argument that the NC500 floods huge amounts of money into the local economy looks really shakey when the local economy in some parts of the NC500 didn't have many businesses to flood money into in the first place. 

Also - it's clear that a lot of people are just utterly unprepared to handle being in a remote area without making an arse of themselves....