Hillwalking Thread

Another aspect I like is that you can get away for 4 or 5 days, whereas for me every time I climb a hill it's just up, down, then back home, there is no sense of 'being away from it all'.

But you'd said you intended doing it in a mere 20 hours - no mention of the "4 or 5 days....'being away from it all'". :huh:

I totally agree with you, though. Get a lightweight tent (mibbe join the Mountain Bothies Association) and use OS maps of your land. Design your own routes - explore.

Just escape from the invented Long Distance Footpath polluted by the hordes - mostly from south of the border who don't understand the Freedoms of scottish hillwalking. Yet.

I just fancied doing it because it would pose a real mental challenge. I'm pretty sure I could shimmy/slog up and down the vast majority of mountains in Scotland within a few hours and although it's quite enjoyable, it's not really a prolonged experience.

There are unlimited long walks in Bonnie Scotland. :)

You'd be limited only by your imagination and lack of experience. The length of time taken is only a self-proscribed limit, also.

A huge mental challenge is to spend happy evenings poring over maps and working out your own routes and goals - and then seeing, on the ground, if your ambition outstretches your capacity.

Folk have walked Cape Wrath to Berwick; John oGroats to south of Stranraer; all the 4,000foot peaks IN A WANNER; all the Munros in a wanner; all the Munros plus the Corbetts in a wanner; All of them IN THE WINTER IN A WANNER; down or was it along... the watershed!; the Great Outdoors or similar magazine 'organises' several hundered folk who plan their own routes coast to coast over Scotland or just make up your own ang go when the spirit takes ye.

(I ran across one day recently... :) )

And there's no need to rush. There are no prizes for being first.

I hope this helps? :)

But you'd said you intended doing it in a mere 20 hours - no mention of the "4 or 5 days....'being away from it all'". :huh:

I totally agree with you, though. Get a lightweight tent (mibbe join the Mountain Bothies Association) and use OS maps of your land. Design your own routes - explore.

Just escape from the invented Long Distance Footpath polluted by the hordes - mostly from south of the border who don't understand the Freedoms of scottish hillwalking. Yet.

Quite right.

I know a couple who are planning on walking from Assynt down to Fort William during the summer after they finish uni. My dad was also planning a walk from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh over the mountains between Glen Strathfarrer and Kintail (or something like that).

Would love to do something like that myself some day.

• 2 weeks later...

Myself and a friend went up Ben Vorlich over Loch Earn yesterday. My last climb up Ben Vorlich was dissapointing as the weather was rotten and we couldn't see anything. Despite the forecast for heavy rain for the whole of yesterday we set out anyway and I'm glad we did.

My pal arrived later than me so while he was wreastling with his waterproofs I noticed a huge bird flying low over loch earn. At first I thought it was a buzzard but it flew up higher into the air and I saw it was an osprey. Perfect start! :)

The walk is an easy one and we stopped to take pictures on the way up and have a seat to chat. We reached the summit about 3 hours after setting out and it was nice to see the summit from more or less the whole of the walk.

When we reached the summit we were gobsmacked to see Stuc a Chroin looming into view behind Vorlich. It really was quite a spectacular sight. :o

By this time though it was getting on in the afternoon but we decided to walk down between the two mountains and we'd see what time it was when we got there. we met up with another couple of walkers who were sure they wouldn't have time to do Stuc as well so we headed back up to Vorlich and the path to the car.

I think then we both decided that a short cut was in order so instead of climbing back onto the summit of Vorlich we climbed up a bit then started to edge round the mountain instead. At first it was OK as the hill was grassy but we came to a ridge behind which we were positive the path down from the summit must be. Sadly though it brought us to a steep part of Vorlich which was covered in loose rock. It took us ages to get over it and back to the path and a big rock fell onto my left hand which was nasty.

Some good did come out of it though, Andy disturbed a Ptarmigan (spelling probably wrong) and it flew off down the hill. I'd never seen one before so was quite happy, also noticed an animal that was moving around the rocks above my friends head (he'd missed it completely). I couldn't see what it was very well but eventually I worked out it was a mountain hare with some of its winter coat still on.

Overall the whole walk took us about 6 and a half hours. We stopped off in Callander to grab a fish supper before I headed home for a good soak in the bath. Then I watched the football - perfect day! :D

Pictures to come later!

Guest oddjob
Myself and a friend went up Ben Vorlich over Loch Earn yesterday. My last climb up Ben Vorlich was dissapointing as the weather was rotten and we couldn't see anything. Despite the forecast for heavy rain for the whole of yesterday we set out anyway and I'm glad we did.

My pal arrived later than me so while he was wreastling with his waterproofs I noticed a huge bird flying low over loch earn. At first I thought it was a buzzard but it flew up higher into the air and I saw it was an osprey. Perfect start! :)

The walk is an easy one and we stopped to take pictures on the way up and have a seat to chat. We reached the summit about 3 hours after setting out and it was nice to see the summit from more or less the whole of the walk.

When we reached the summit we were gobsmacked to see Stuc a Chroin looming into view behind Vorlich. It really was quite a spectacular sight. :o

By this time though it was getting on in the afternoon but we decided to walk down between the two mountains and we'd see what time it was when we got there. we met up with another couple of walkers who were sure they wouldn't have time to do Stuc as well so we headed back up to Vorlich and the path to the car.

I think then we both decided that a short cut was in order so instead of climbing back onto the summit of Vorlich we climbed up a bit then started to edge round the mountain instead. At first it was OK as the hill was grassy but we came to a ridge behind which we were positive the path down from the summit must be. Sadly though it brought us to a steep part of Vorlich which was covered in loose rock. It took us ages to get over it and back to the path and a big rock fell onto my left hand which was nasty.

Some good did come out of it though, Andy disturbed a Ptarmigan (spelling probably wrong) and it flew off down the hill. I'd never seen one before so was quite happy, also noticed an animal that was moving around the rocks above my friends head (he'd missed it completely). I couldn't see what it was very well but eventually I worked out it was a mountain hare with some of its winter coat still on.

Overall the whole walk took us about 6 and a half hours. We stopped off in Callander to grab a fish supper before I headed home for a good soak in the bath. Then I watched the football - perfect day! :D

Pictures to come later!

I was going to edit some of your post to comment on, but the whole post is great.

Guest oddjob
in the middle of august my uncle completes his full sweep of the munro,s(238 i think he said) so he,s having a part after that

I fcuking love baggers.

I was going to edit some of your post to comment on, but the whole post is great.

Oh no... have I accidentally filled it with words or phrases that could be interepreted in an amusing way?

Here are a couple of the best pictures. The first two are views from the top, the third is Stuc a Chroin taken from the summit of Vorlich, the fourth is Ben Vorlich as we were walking back to the car (the sun had come out) and the last is the very last part of the walk up Ben Vorlich.

The only low point of the day was when I asked the guy I went walking with out and he pretended not to have heard me. <_<

post-67-1209930962_thumb.jpg

post-67-1209931032_thumb.jpg

post-67-1209931054_thumb.jpg

post-67-1209931095_thumb.jpg

post-67-1209931105_thumb.jpg

Edited by Middleton Mouse

Walked Ben Ledi today. Quite enjoyed it and found it hard going most of the way as I have a stinking cold. It was quite nice all the way up but virtually as soon as we got to the top the rain started and didn't stop 'til we got back to the car. The whole walk took us just over five hours. Nice area with some cracking views.

Not a Munro but every bit as tough to walk.

I am interested in landscape photography so I used to go walking and hill climbing a lot but not really bother about touching the cairns and 'bagging' hills. I was more interested about getting good pictures than getting to the top.

However recently I've got more interested in that sort of thing. I think I have about 14 Munros done now and maybe about the same number of Corbetts as well. I'll never do them all (no way am I going up the Inaccessible Pinnicle for example!) but I'd like to do as many as possible.

Unfortunately I'm going to be out of the country for quite a bit of the summer so I can't see me adding too many more to the list for a while. I have Beinn Dubhcreag and Beinn Oss in my sights before I go though!

On the Corbetts I swear I've never seen a single other person on a Corbett with the exception of The Cobbler!

I am interested in landscape photography so I used to go walking and hill climbing a lot but not really bother about touching the cairns and 'bagging' hills. I was more interested about getting good pictures than getting to the top.

However recently I've got more interested in that sort of thing. I think I have about 14 Munros done now and maybe about the same number of Corbetts as well. I'll never do them all (no way am I going up the Inaccessible Pinnicle for example!) but I'd like to do as many as possible.

Unfortunately I'm going to be out of the country for quite a bit of the summer so I can't see me adding too many more to the list for a while. I have Beinn Dubhcreag and Beinn Oss in my sights before I go though!

On the Corbetts I swear I've never seen a single other person on a Corbett with the exception of The Cobbler!

Ben Ledi was quite busy yesterday. Probably passed about a couple of dozen folk on it when we were on the way up. The Cobbler is always a busy hill though.

The Merrick and Goat Fell are also quite busy hills. Id say Ive met far more folk on the Corbetts than I have on the Munros.

Ben Ledi was quite busy yesterday. Probably passed about a couple of dozen folk on it when we were on the way up. The Cobbler is always a busy hill though.

The Merrick and Goat Fell are also quite busy hills. Id say Ive met far more folk on the Corbetts than I have on the Munros.

Yeah, I guess those ones being nearer the central belt would be. Certainly further North it seems to be mostly the Munros that get visitors rather than the Corbetts.

Guest Raithsaltire

Last munro I did was Schiehallion (just next to Kinloch Rannoch). I took the kids and wife, and they loved it. It was infact their first munro. Some view that day too, over Loch Rannoch and out to the Nevis range and beyond, and over Loch Tummel and out to the Cairngorms. Also down Glen Lyon is a cracking view. Have photos on some pendrive or other and will post some when I find them. Schiehallion was a cracking climb, which I would say anybody reasonably fit could conquer. Easily accessible by car to the foothills too. Watch for the 'false summits' though!

in the middle of august my uncle completes his full sweep of the munro,s(238 i think he said) so he,s having a part after that

Nearer 280 nowadays...

Schiehallion was a cracking climb, which I would say anybody reasonably fit could conquer. Easily accessible by car to the foothills too. Watch for the 'false summits' though!

Not 'conquer'... please... sometimes mountains let you climb them. I've been on that hill a few times and some of those times it was wild. No matter how fit, you could be batted away some days!

Just had a brilliant week over Ardgour/Moidart etc hills. One bad day when we drove out far west to Ardnamurchan (due north of Dublin! :o ) and staggered in gales and rain along the coast for a few miles ending just outside the alleged 'extinct volcano' seen in my sig, below.

Sunshine every other day and a lot of hills were covered. Too hot...

Best day was a circuit around Coire an Iubhair, finishing on Garbh Bheinn, below.

Great views to the still-snowy Ben and south to snowy Cruachan, as well as Eigg, Rum, Skye...

some pix here

post-1238-1210332617_thumb.jpg

284 Munros.

On Tuesday me and my mate went up near Killin to do a bit of hillwalking. We took in Meall an Tarmachan (M), Meall Garbh, Beinn nan Eachan and Coire Fionne Lairige. Smashing day.

We were up at Balquiddher on Sunday going up Stob a Choin - turned into a really great day. It was pretty hot and so we weren't in any mood for doing it quickly, but it's pretty step all the way along on the route we took going round all the smaller tops first. A bit hazy so not great for photos but one of the more enjoyable ones I've done recently. That area around Balquiddher and Inverlochlarig is great - it takes a while to drive up the glen by Loch Voil, but I always find it to be worthwhile, as every time I've been int aht area I've alays had a good day out. That was a really good hill though, one that shows the Corbetts to be just as much of a challenge as the bigger hills.

Ok, so not exactly a hillwalk but walking from Linlithgow to Falkirk along the canal tomorrow, which is 12 miles or so, then going from Inverarnan to Bridge of Orchy on Friday, which is about 20ish miles.

Plan to do a bit of hillwalking in Arran with Adam Wee in the next month or so as well.

I'll also probably take then tent and go up north next week if the weather remains good.

Two more done over the last week.

Last Saturday I climbed White Coomb down near Moffat - really good traverse on a hazy warm day. That was my 19th Corbett.

Today it was Meall Ghaordaidh, my 21st Munro.

Edited by AyrshireTon