Hillwalking Thread

A very fit person can make it to the top of Ben Nevis in three hours, I've heard.

The record for the Nevis run - 10 miles up and down is about 85 minutes. Now that's VERY fit.

Brilliant thread, this - and some wonderful pics on it. Thanks, guys! :D

Including a few pics of Corserine which one I've not done.. Yet. :)

Though I've driven past it hunners of times on my way from mah Wumin's home place, Auchencairn and Paisley... well, Love Street... Though I've stopped nearby to wander over Cairsmore fae Scotlandwell a couple of times...

I've been going up the hills since 1965. And still do. I take groups fae down souf wherever they want to go... in Sconnie Botland.

Last year, one guy, called Alistair, wanted to go up a Skye Hill called Sgurr Alisdair for his 60th birthday. We got there.

There's some pix of that trip here

I'm usually lucky with sun on Skye.

In May I'm taking a group intae Ardgour. Some lovely wee hills in there.

I did the below on my 50th birthday in October, 1997. It's not a Corbett.

ama_dablam.jpg

Guest oddjob
In May I'm taking a group intae Ardgour. Some lovely wee hills in there.

Ardgour is a great area, especially for this beaut.

040307_008_scavaig.jpg

Garbh Beinn.

Congrats on Ama Dablam.

Ardgour is a great area, especially for this beaut.

040307_008_scavaig.jpg

Garbh Beinn.

Congrats on Ama Dablam.

Thanks. A HIGHlight for ever... :)

We'll be doing an anti-clockwise circuit of the Garbh Bheinn corrie. One of the guys suffers a wee touch of vertigo - so it'll be interesting getting him back up onto the GB from the bealach at the top of the Glen.

Have you been out on Ben Hiant or wee Beinn na Seilg? I'm going to have a 'day-off' over that area with them (they're birders), but I've never been that far west... Are they worth it...? Any scrambling, really?

ETA: And, again - a great pic! :)

Edited by chingford

Last year, one guy, called Alistair, wanted to go up a Skye Hill called Sgurr Alisdair for his 60th birthday. We got there.

Excellent! :D Did you get up the Inn Pinn? Most munroists seem to leave that until near the end but I want to get it done over the next couple of years, as scrambling and climbing are my two favourite parts about hillwalking B)

Excellent! :D Did you get up the Inn Pinn? Most munroists seem to leave that until near the end but I want to get it done over the next couple of years, as scrambling and climbing are my two favourite parts about hillwalking B)

Friends of mine did the Inn Pin last year, they loved it. Both are seasoned walkers.

Guest oddjob

The only other one I've been up near Garbh Beinn is Sgurr na h-Eanchainne which is just across from the Corran ferry. A good horseshoe with fine views in all directions if you get the weather.

Haven't really done anything further west yet, so am hoping for some decent weather this summer. I'm more of a rough camper, there's some good two or three day hauls in Ardgour.

Not that trip - I've been up it a few times before with other groups - and like you say, the one they have left to do... :rolleyes:

Haven't really done anything further west yet, so am hoping for some decent weather this summer. I'm more of a rough camper, there's some good two or three day hauls in Ardgour.

Aye - we'll be happily camping, as well. (The Bothies are not greatly sited to pick off hills.)

These're a good crowd of guys. One guy always wants to stay in Hotels - so I don't mind... he pays! He's well over 6 foot and in an early trip he didnae really fit in the tent I'd taken... The experience has scarred him for life. :lol:

Guest oddjob

The InPinn is great. I've taken a couple of groups up. Although not environmentally friendly, try the descent down The Great Stone Chute, brilliant fun.

A wee Skye tale...

(at my embarrassment...)

The tall guy, above, was doing the Skye Ridge and stuff with me - and he's pretty good at scrambling now, had been going to a rock wall in order to practice rope-handling, abseiling etc...

Anyway, like a lot of people after The Inn Pinn, Sgurr Alasdair, the highest hill on the island is their next goal. It was his. We hadn't done it after a few days...

I don't like rushing at it. We did various other tops and routes and generally were enjoying it but...

...I'd not been on those Cuillin rocks for a couple of years (and maybe I AM getting older...)

So it seemed that I was forever saying,

"This is tougher than I recall",

"I don't remember this bit...",

"Getting up here was easier last time, I think"

"Jeeze! Where did this bit spring from"

"I'm sure there used to be more holds..."

Eventually, he said to me...

"What's the name of the highest one again? Is it Sgurr Alzheimer's?" :)

Guest oddjob
A wee Skye tale...

(at my embarrassment...)

The tall guy, above, was doing the Skye Ridge and stuff with me - and he's pretty good at scrambling now, had been going to a rock wall in order to practice rope-handling, abseiling etc...

Anyway, like a lot of people after The Inn Pinn, Sgurr Alasdair, the highest hill on the island is their next goal. It was his. We hadn't done it after a few days...

I don't like rushing at it. We did various other tops and routes and generally were enjoying it but...

...I'd not been on those Cuillin rocks for a couple of years (and maybe I AM getting older...)

So it seemed that I was forever saying,

"This is tougher than I recall",

"I don't remember this bit...",

"Getting up here was easier last time, I think"

"Jeeze! Where did this bit spring from"

"I'm sure there used to be more holds..."

Eventually, he said to me...

"What's the name of the highest one again? Is it Sgurr Alzheimer's?" :)

:D

I'm not that keen on tackling any mountain more than once, unless it's necessary, or if it's being tackled from a different route, for exactly the reasons you've given. It always seems to be more of a slog, longer walk in, longer walk out.

I used to do some Munros with these two guys who basically went at them hell for leather, not my idea of fun. I remember we knocked of all the Munros on the South Cluanie ridge one day, put me off being a 'bagger' for life. :(

Prefer doing my mountains solo now. B)

Did another Corbett yesterday - Beinn a' Choin (north of Ben Lomond).

The journey to it is really out in the sticks - 9 miles of single track road after Aberfoyle.

Went up fairly directly and made it in 2 hours. Had intended to return by the Maol Mor ridge, but saw the ascent involved and thought "to hell with that". Instead I dropped into the Corriearklet Glen and followed the burn back to the road.

Walking along the Loch Arklet road I had wonderful views of the Arrochar Alps (all bagged already)

Here's the best pic

post-448-1208415448_thumb.jpg

Beinn Narnain's flat summit can just be made out, with its top A' Chrois in the foreground. In the middle are Beinn Ime and Ben Vane, then Ben Vorlich to the right.

Great pic, Ton!

Nice wee dusting of snow - disnae look anywhere near as good for snow as the Cairngorm ski-business punters are saying...?

Is that just further north that it's snowed well?

I've no been up that Corbett - looks like it would be quiet and pretty unvisited. Were ye solo?

I once did a great wander (as seen in the Classic, Wild or Big Walks book) westwards from Ben More/Stobinian over several hills, and dropping down the Allt Glas at Inverarnan. A mega-tiring day - but very interesting and they were satisfyingly rough hills to move among and between. I imagine Beinn a' Choin is much like them - just a wee bit walk too much further south...

I love LOVE London - but I do miss the hills and get so nostalgic...

And this thread is gee-ing me up, great style :)

I used to do some Munros with these two guys who basically went at them hell for leather, not my idea of fun. I remember we knocked of all the Munros on the South Cluanie ridge one day, put me off being a 'bagger' for life. :(

Prefer doing my mountains solo now. B)

I just don't really understand why some folk are so desperate to fire through them all as quickly as possible. Not my idea of fun either, but I suppose fair enough if that's what some folk want to do.

We finally got out for our first dander up the hills a couple of weeks back, going up Ben Cleuch in the Ochils again. Turned into a more exciting day than we were expecting, as the wind was absolutely incredible up at the top. I've never climbed anything in wind like that before, and my Dad who has been hillwalking for 40 years said he hadn't been up anything in that strong a gale either. If it had been anything more difficult or longer, we'd probably not have bothered with the topo, but we know the hill well and knew there wasn't far to go. It was so strong that we were literally crawling for the last few minutes. It's a hell of an exhilerating feeling though, to stand up at the summit, back against the trig point and stand and face the relentless wind.

The thing after you've been walking for a few years seems to be trying to find some different areas to go to. I quite fancy a couple of days away on the islands in the summer some time. The Rhum Cuillin and the Paps of Jura both look like they'd be nice days out - anyone ever done either? I've never done any of the Galloway hills either, but as usual the problem is getting there and back - they'd probably need a night's camping as well.

In the last year or so though, I've really enjoyed starting to do some of the hills that are a bit less popular. They may be lesser in height, but in general they are more challenging, due to the lack of good paths. I can't wait for this crappy fitba season to finish next week, to get back spending days at the weekend more beneficially, up the hills!

Looking for some advice here.

On the West Highland Way there is a plaque thanking some army regiment for raising funds to upgrade a section of The Way by walking from Crianlarich to Fort William in 24 hours. The 2 guys I was walking with marvelled at this feat whereas I claim it wasn't that impressive and that I'm sure I could do it, so I'm thinking about doing it in the Summer.

On June 21st, I reckon there will be at least 20 hours of walkable light, so time wise, it should technically be possible. I've done 25 miles hillwalks before and completed them without feeling too many ill affects, but this will be 45 mile approx, which is a bit of a step up.

I've got good stamina, and my walking pace is reasonable, so I think I can do it. Has anyone else done anything like this before, and do you rate my chances of achieving it?

PS - I'll be walking with someone, will have good torches incase nightfalls beforewe arrive and ther will be someone meeting us at all the points where the Way crosses the road to provide us with food, water, etc.

I'm a great HATER of the WHW - why stay in the regimented rut when there's aw these braw hills around on which you can wander anywhere you want?!

Nevertheless... It should not be a dificult task to do, if you're fit and not hungover. :)

I've done a few Mountain Marathon things - and IMHO the hardest part of it, is all down to your MENTAL not physical strength. Of course, you can cover those 45 miles easily in that time, even taking into account the few ascents which are not killers.

But after a few hours of slogging you (at least, I do...) begin to think what's the point of this?

What will it prove? And if those doubts are there... and you're asking if it's possible, then why bother? You'll never beat or conquer the hills.

As the great Gaston Rebuffat once said,

"Sometimes mountains let you climb them".

And I haven't mentioned the weather and potential of midges to add to your lack of pleasure....

I generally enjoy long distance walking more than actual hill climbing, because I can talk to my friends and get a good challenge, but not be puffing and panting every 20 mins which tends to happen when I go hill climbing.

Another aspect I like is that you can get away for 4 or 5 days, whereas for me every time I climb a hill it's just up, down, then back home, there is no sense of 'being away from it all'.

I just fancied doing it because it would pose a real mental challenge. I'm pretty sure I could shimmy/slog up and down the vast majority of mountains in Scotland within a few hours and although it's quite enjoyable, it's not really a prolonged experience.

If you're going to do it, you're probably best avoiding the weekend closest to June 21st, as that weekend is when the race is run going North from Milngavie by the superfit mob who run the whole thing in 30-odd hours. At the same time, there's an organised walk doing about half of it, overnight, in about the same time, so it's likely to be ridiculously busy and maybe not a lot of fun. I was going to do the organised walk with folk from work a couple of years ago but it didn't come off as nobody could be arsed organising it - quite glad I didn't in the end as I don't think I'd have enjoyed it that much with so many folk about.

I'd say you should be able to do the walk without too much of a problem. The Northern half isn't difficult so walking in poor light with a torch shouldn't be a problem.