Hillwalking Thread

Aye, had lunch at Davie's Bourach. Nobody on Jocks Road, but the car park was hoaching with folk heading up to Corrie Fee.
Yeah it's usually busy, will be mental just now. Theist couple of times I've done Driesh and Mayar, I've gone up Driesh's Scorrie Ridge first. Generally don't see another soul until the summit

Just taken myself off of the “Scottish Hillwalking & Camping” Facebook group. Full of weegies who constantly post photos of their trip up the classic, shitey wee weegie hills such as Ben Aan, Conic Hill or the Cobbler. It’s like these people have never ventured further than Glencoe. What’s that, a photo of you at the summit of Ben Aan? Sure, I would love to see that - along with the 50 other photos posted of the same view.

Final straw has been the various questions asked today by members including:

Can I take my toddler camping?

Is conic hill busy at the moment?

Is the devils pulpit open?

GTF

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Just taken myself off of the “Scottish Hillwalking & Camping” Facebook group. Full of weegies who constantly post photos of their trip up the classic, shitey wee weegie hills such as Ben Aan, Conic Hill or the Cobbler. It’s like these people have never ventured further than Glencoe. What’s that, a photo of you at the summit of Ben Aan? Sure, I would love to see that - along with the 50 other photos posted of the same view.

GTF

I went up Ben A'an in February! Thought it was alright, a disappointingly short walk but it was the only one really convenient on the day

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I went up Ben A'an in February! Thought it was alright, a disappointingly short walk but it was the only one really convenient on the day

Doon Hill in Aberfoyle is another one very short walk but if you head to the side of the hill the view is cracking.  In fairness to Ben A'an for a wee hill the view at the top is cracking.

Heading for Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain tomorrow

Did Beinn Ime during the Arrochar hill race and couldn't see 200 yards due to mist.
Was close to the top and could smell a barbecue but couldn't see it. Thought I was experiencing the desert oasis type of vision but smell based.
Next thing there's about 50 athletes eating rolls and running full pelt down the hill.

Probably the weirdest thing I've seen other than the goats on ben venue

Beinn Ime is a horrid munro. Glad I’ve got it out the road. Came down from Beinn Narnain and up that the other week, couldn’t see a thing. 
If Beinn Ime was a person it would be a fat, ginger, specky laddie with no pals.
Is it usually misty then?
Was thinking of doing it again so I can get a decent view.
Done narnain ime cobbler and vorlich Ben vane.
Think you can do vane to ime. Not sure.

23 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

GTF

Aye, binned myself off it too. It used to be ok which is a shame. 

On 09/07/2020 at 23:28, D.A.F.C said:

Did Beinn Ime during the Arrochar hill race and couldn't see 200 yards due to mist.
Was close to the top and could smell a barbecue but couldn't see it. Thought I was experiencing the desert oasis type of vision but smell based.
Next thing there's about 50 athletes eating rolls and running full pelt down the hill.

Probably the weirdest thing I've seen other than the goats on ben venue

Sacked the Beinn Ime one and ended up just doing the cobbler day started off  great got an hour into it and rained all the way to the top only for the sun to come out on the main track heading back would post some pics but visibility was poor to the top so didnt really see much bar mist.  Realising need to get hill fit again so think i will look at Grahams and Donalds

I was intending to climb Ben Donich today since it's not too difficult to get hill fit as AL-FFC put it. Couldn't get parked, so decided to head back for the Cobbler but the car park was overflowing. It was only mid morning too but I'll try again next week but get there earlier.

25 minutes ago, microdave said:

I was intending to climb Ben Donich today since it's not too difficult to get hill fit as AL-FFC put it. Couldn't get parked, so decided to head back for the Cobbler but the car park was overflowing. It was only mid morning too but I'll try again next week but get there earlier.

I had to turn back from Glen Clova this morning. I've never seen traffic like that there.  I didn't even make the turn off at the Clova Inn.  Umpteen camper vans and families out for the day.  Can't wait for normality to return. Early night tonight and up early in the morning to stand a chance, or wait for Monday. 

I had to turn back from Glen Clova this morning. I've never seen traffic like that there.  I didn't even make the turn off at the Clova Inn.  Umpteen camper vans and families out for the day.  Can't wait for normality to return. Early night tonight and up early in the morning to stand a chance, or wait for Monday. 
I thought I'd wait til the second weekend after the five mile travel limit was lifted as it wouldn't be as busy but I wish I'd gone last week when it was raining pretty constantly. I've already set an alarm for 6am next Saturday.

11 minutes ago, microdave said:
26 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

I thought I'd wait til the second weekend after the five mile travel limit was lifted as it wouldn't be as busy but I wish I'd gone last week when it was raining pretty constantly. I've already set an alarm for 6am next Saturday.

Yep, I had my walk pretty much to myself last weekend. Alarm set for 6am tomorrow and hopefully I beat the masses. A midweek camp should be good too. 

As the in-laws were up visiting, I decided to go a jaunt up Meall nan Tarmachan on my own. Up and down in a couple of hours so contemplated doing Meall Ghaordaidh as well, but couldn’t be arsed. Went a drive through Glencoe and got a scampi supper and single sausage at the Quarriers. It was a good day.

IMG_6204.jpg

1 hour ago, microdave said:
1 hour ago, Futureboy said:

Weather for week ahead not looking to great, sods law the weather had to turn when the lockdown lifted.

Weather for week ahead not looking to great, sods law the weather had to turn when the lockdown lifted.
I used last weekend to see my daughter for the first time since mid March. Rain doesn't bother me. There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes.

I couldn't really complain during the lockdown as I've got quite a few decent walks (including a couple of southern uplands 2000ft hills) that I can do walking from the house and so I've still been getting walks in (but no camps) while following the rules - but it was great yesterday to finally get back to some highlands mountains.

I guessed that there would be a lot of pent-up hillwalking demand, so I decided to avoid any vaguely well known hills and decided instead to for 3 Corbetts (Beinn Odhar, Beinn Chaorach and Cam Chreag) from Tyndrum as it was easy to get to and doing 3 in a day is a decent challenge when you take the drops into account.

DSC03319.thumb.jpg.a68c78832d4518304a43019cd13c3e49.jpg

Beinn Odhar is the only one of the three that I knew as it is the hill staring you in the face when you leave Tyndrum on the WHW - a mini version of the more spectacular Beinn Dorian further down the glen. I followed the old mine path and it was a pretty easy climb onto the summit. Views were good but the low cloud was dotted around and it was clear it was going to be a changeable day.

DSC03325.thumb.jpg.d434fbe091ce68c735b6dea794babd50.jpg

The main challenge of the whole thing was a direct steep drop off of Odhar and an even more brutal 400m slog up the other side - I would only recommend this route to people with a high pain threshold and a sense of humour :) 

DSC03335.thumb.jpg.573aa7526c14d449f40e92e7dcb71f3c.jpg

The other 2 summits were fairly non-descript but it was a decent high-level walk from this point and the there were no clouds on either summit. The walk out was pretty long and involved me walking along a few km's of the west highland way which was a decent nostalgia trip.

I managed the 21km and 1400m ascent in just under 6 hours, which gives me a bit of confidence to tackle some big days for the rest of the summer and didn't see anyone at all until I dropped down to Strathfillian, so a pretty good day out...

Wild camping is the thing I've missed most - so next weekends trip will be doing that...

DSC03332.jpg