Hillwalking Thread

Dragged the wife out to climb The Whangie this morning. It's just a tiddler - 346m, but the book said it would take 2-4 hours. In the event we did it at a very leisurely pace in 1 hour 20 mins. Superb views of Loch Lomond and the snow-covered hills to the north and the rocky chasm on the north side of the summit is worth a look.

Was out leading a group for their Silver DofE today.

Went to Muirkirk (deepest darkest Ayrshire) and we ascended to just below the summit of Stony Hill, then over to the impressive summit of Cairn Table.

Absolutely knackered.

Up Ben A'an today, starting from Brig o' Turk and walking round the South side of Loch Achray before going up and then coming back the same route along the North side of Loch Achray. Great stuff, Ben Lomond on Monday :)

A very fit person can make it to the top of Ben Nevis in three hours, I've heard.

Also, does anyone go hillwalking on their own? I'm off every Wednesday and all my mates are at work and really I'd like to do something better than sitting in the house, but not sure on the safety aspect of just going up a hill myself. I've got all the gear and I know what I'm doing, just wondering if anyone done it.

A very fit person can make it to the top of Ben Nevis in three hours, I've heard.

Also, does anyone go hillwalking on their own? I'm off every Wednesday and all my mates are at work and really I'd like to do something better than sitting in the house, but not sure on the safety aspect of just going up a hill myself. I've got all the gear and I know what I'm doing, just wondering if anyone done it.

I've gone up Dumyat a few times myself because I was bored. If the hill is going to be reasonably busy, then there isn't any reason why you shouldn't go.

I think as long as someone knows where you're headed and when you're likely to be back it'd be OK Gaz. I find I get an Ok signal on a few of the hills with my O2 phone.

Hopefully going back to Callander to do Stuc A Chroin in a couple of weeks, looking forward to a more challenging climb.

Ben Lomond conquered B)

Didn't go up the usual tourist trail. We left from Rowardennan as usual but instead headed North towards Ptarmigan lodge before panning North East through the forest and round the West side of Tom Fithich.

We then headed up onto the Ptarmigan ridge and along to the North of Ben Lomond before tackling the tricky North West Face, made a lot more difficult by the snow, ice and strong winds. Not a walk for the faint-hearted, but the views and scenery were fantastic.

Four and a half hours to get up but only an hour and a half down the tourist trail back to the car.

Got some pics up of my exploits at my Bebo, have a gander: Clicky.

Ben Lomond conquered B)

Didn't go up the usual tourist trail. We left from Rowardennan as usual but instead headed North towards Ptarmigan lodge before panning North East through the forest and round the West side of Tom Fithich.

We then headed up onto the Ptarmigan ridge and along to the North of Ben Lomond before tackling the tricky North West Face, made a lot more difficult by the snow, ice and strong winds. Not a walk for the faint-hearted, but the views and scenery were fantastic.

Four and a half hours to get up but only an hour and a half down the tourist trail back to the car.

Got some pics up of my exploits at my Bebo, have a gander: Clicky.

Some very nice photos there gaz. Hillwalking is something that i have thought about taking up, but i wouldnt want to scale the heights (no pun intended) like yourself until i get a wee bit fitter. Any recommendations on possible starters or the like?

Some very nice photos there gaz. Hillwalking is something that i have thought about taking up, but i wouldnt want to scale the heights (no pun intended) like yourself until i get a wee bit fitter. Any recommendations on possible starters or the like?

As you're from Kirkcaldy, the Ochils aren't too far away from you and there are some good hills there for beginners to climb. You've got ones like Dumyat, Saddle Hill and King's Seat which aren't too taxing but you've also got Dollar, Mill and Alva Glen which, although don't involve as much height gain, are good for walking around and getting some experience in.

If you're interested in bagging Munros, there are a few easy ones to tackle, especially Cairnwell (you start off from a car park at the ski centre which is already 600m up the hill).

Important to invest in a good pair of boots - ones with ankle support, comfortable but with good grip - and waterproof clothing as well.

Even closer to Kdy, you have Falkland Hill (i.e. East Lomond), West Lomond, the Bishop Hill and Largo Law as easy walks to break you in. (If you like birdwatching, even the hill behind Vane Farm is worth a climb). Those were the hills that got me in hillwalking when my Dad dragged me up them as a kid.

As Gaz says, there's fun to be had in the Ochils - I regularly do the Mill Glen circle of The Law, Ben Cleuch and Ben Ever (nice circular route) and I've found it to be usually quiet.

The Pentlands are not really taxing either, there's plenty of circular walks to be made from Swanston Golf Course (just avoid the firing range!).

The first munro I ever climbed was Cairnwell (for the reasons that Gaz states) but I've never really been a Munro bagger. The last Munros I climbed were probably Sgurr Nan Gillean (Cuillins) and the South Kintail Ridge a couple of years back and I've been favouring long-distance valley walks (Corrour Station/Glen Nevis, West Highland Way, Lairig Ghru etc.) more recently.

I'm missing the high ground just now though - they call Caithness "the Lowlands in the Highlands" because it's so flat - but I'm planning to walk from Altnabreac railway station back to Thurso when the weather's more suitable. I think that's about 20 miles in total.

Some of the hills in Callander are pretty easy as well. Ben Ledi was my first walk but the munro over Loch Earn Ben Vorlich is probably the easiest hill I've ever climbed.

Good photos from Ben lomond Gaz, where do you have to start to tackle it via the ridge? I've never quite worked it out. :ph34r:

Even closer to Kdy, you have Falkland Hill (i.e. East Lomond), West Lomond, the Bishop Hill and Largo Law as easy walks to break you in. (If you like birdwatching, even the hill behind Vane Farm is worth a climb). Those were the hills that got me in hillwalking when my Dad dragged me up them as a kid.

As Gaz says, there's fun to be had in the Ochils - I regularly do the Mill Glen circle of The Law, Ben Cleuch and Ben Ever (nice circular route) and I've found it to be usually quiet.

The Pentlands are not really taxing either, there's plenty of circular walks to be made from Swanston Golf Course (just avoid the firing range!).

The first munro I ever climbed was Cairnwell (for the reasons that Gaz states) but I've never really been a Munro bagger. The last Munros I climbed were probably Sgurr Nan Gillean (Cuillins) and the South Kintail Ridge a couple of years back and I've been favouring long-distance valley walks (Corrour Station/Glen Nevis, West Highland Way, Lairig Ghru etc.) more recently.

I'm missing the high ground just now though - they call Caithness "the Lowlands in the Highlands" because it's so flat - but I'm planning to walk from Altnabreac railway station back to Thurso when the weather's more suitable. I think that's about 20 miles in total.

I think the last time i walked up falkland hill was when i was in the scouts :lol: The pentlands seem a decent shout for a starter, i am over that side of the water very often so i may look into it. I've always wanted to go up arthur's seat on a clear day, more for the views and photo opportunties more than anything. I did venture up calton hill one morning but the views seemed less intruiging as to what they may be from arthur's seat.

I think the last time i walked up falkland hill was when i was in the scouts :lol: The pentlands seem a decent shout for a starter, i am over that side of the water very often so i may look into it. I've always wanted to go up arthur's seat on a clear day, more for the views and photo opportunties more than anything. I did venture up calton hill one morning but the views seemed less intruiging as to what they may be from arthur's seat.

Have a look at the map here (You need Adobe Acrobat though)

I used to get the bus to Colinton and walk to Swanston and climb straight up between Caerketton Hill and Allermuir Hill (it's quite steep but the quickest way up). From there I used to vary my route, but it was usually a varying route over the hills down to Glencorse reservoir.

If I was feeling fit, I would sometimes extend the route by following the road to Loganlea Reservoir then climbing Scald Law, Carnethy Hill and Turnhouse Hill.

I always return back to Swanston via the track west of Castlelaw hill (as it avoids the firing range), but that's a force of habit more than anything else (there's an interesting fort just off that track too).

• 2 weeks later...

Up to Bridge of Orchy on Friday and climbed the two Munros, Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothiadh. Lots of snow towards the top of both mountains, Beinn an Dothiadh in particular was a slog to climb as it was all snow / boggy ground.

Some pics on my Bebo if anyone's interested :)

Went to do Schiehallion today but it was too snowy up there to drive safely so just went and had a walk around Pitlochry, and a curry :lol:

Guest oddjob
Went to do Schiehallion today but it was too snowy up there to drive safely

I know they've done the path up there, but didn't realise you could now drive up. :lol:

Edited by oddjob

Guest oddjob

You sound like a 'bagger', but if you fancy a decent Corbett try NM 994 657. Good horseshoe as well. And, the ferry across is free for foot passengers. Great day out. B)

Two more Corbetts this week.

Monday I did Beinn Stacath (one of three names it has, despite having no actual name on any map) from Ballimore farm. A slog and a half, but the views from the top of the Crianlarich hills and the Arrochar Alps were brilliant. A lorry was off the road and in a ditch (the only road out from where I had parked) and it took the tow truck amost an hour to get it out - whilst I sat in my car and patiently watched. <_<

Today (Thurs) I did Auchnafree Hill in the snow, which at least meant a slight change of terrain from the time when I did Ben Chonzie along the same general route (Loch Turret track). Coming back down there were almost no signs of any snow and the sun even came out, long after I had searched among the cloud for the summit cairn (eventually finding it and making sure it was the correct cairn).

So far the score is Munros 20-17 Corbetts. :)

Around half of my hills to date have been solo efforts. Really sharpens the navigational skills.

I'll go with anyone who wants to come along (as long as they are not faster than me), but solo days mean I can choose something difficult/steep without having to consider a companion's ablity or fitness.

Edited by AyrshireTon

Done a few round Fife.

views from largo law, west lomond and the bishop

Ochills are pretty good views for the easy climb.

Gonna try some munros this year.

post-7843-1207866767_thumb.jpg

post-7843-1207866907_thumb.jpg

post-7843-1207867002_thumb.jpg