Hillwalking Thread

Can anyone tell me why there is a wall across the back of Suilven? It serves no purpose.

I'm guessing that it might be one of the 'destitution' walls built during the potato famine.

The idea was it was immoral to just hand food out to the poor during the famine and that they had to work for it. So they had them build various public works which served no actual purpose other than to provide them with work, paid for with food rations.

• 4 weeks later...

Day off work yesterday & fine weather, so I decided on a bit of an epic in the Cairngorms. Left Linn of Dee car park at 9.45 am on the bike & set out for Derry Lodge. I left the bike a little beyond the lodge, then set off up & over the Luibeg burn for the Lairig Ghru. Once at Corrour bothy, I climbed up the path at the back to the bealach, dumped the pack & headed up to the airy summit of the Devils Point. Once I`d picked up the pack, I then traversed over Cairn Toul, Angels Peak & Braeriach, before descending to the Lairig Ghru & the long walk & cycle back to the car, where I arrived at 8.15pm! 41km in total with about 12km of that on the bike. Plenty ptarmigan on the high summits & had the ever present sound of stags roaring. Fabulous weather, clear blue skies, hardly a breath of wind & a dusting of snow underfoot on the tops. Bit knackered today!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A good weekend on the hills, starting with a piss-easy wander up Mount Blair, complete with it's clusterfuck of a summit area. Although the views around were very good.

post-15829-0-63708800-1354482587_thumb.j

Today's involved a horrendous 5:00am start to head up the A9 to Dalwhinnie to climb Geal Charn and A'Mharconaich. Geal Charn's a decentish hill but A'Mharconaich was far better, with a thigh burning ascent and steep initial descent. The views were absolutely magnificent.

post-15829-0-58309400-1354482620_thumb.j

post-15829-0-28142700-1354482757_thumb.j

post-15829-0-99664500-1354482693_thumb.j

All in all, a very pleasing day for a first winter walk.

Nice pic looking down Loch Ericht Jupe. The Drumochter hills are fine hills for getting used to the winter conditions if you`ve not done much winter stuff before.

Had a fine day out above Loch Tay last Thursday(29th Nov). Started out from the wee pub at Lawers & did an anti-clockwise round of Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh & An Stuc. Not a breath of wind all day, and had the hills to myself, although did see people on the summit of Ben Lawers when I topped out on An Stuc. 7 1/4 hrs for the hike, including the fine wee climb of An Stuc which tested my rusty ice-axe skills! smile.gif

Nice pic looking down Loch Ericht Jupe. The Drumochter hills are fine hills for getting used to the winter conditions if you`ve not done much winter stuff before.

Had a fine day out above Loch Tay last Thursday(29th Nov). Started out from the wee pub at Lawers & did an anti-clockwise round of Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh & An Stuc. Not a breath of wind all day, and had the hills to myself, although did see people on the summit of Ben Lawers when I topped out on An Stuc. 7 1/4 hrs for the hike, including the fine wee climb of An Stuc which tested my rusty ice-axe skills! smile.gif

Conditions were absolutely perfect, totally clear skies, not a breath of wind (even at the summits) and fresh deepish snow that could be kicked into both on ascent and descent. The hills themselves i feel would be pretty unremarkable in summer. I was hoping for some decent weather as i've been on holiday this week, but it's been shite with little or no chance of clag-free summits.

I wouldn't mind a crack at a traverse of the Lawers group next year, amongst a few others.

• 1 month later...

Conditions were absolutely perfect, totally clear skies, not a breath of wind (even at the summits) and fresh deepish snow that could be kicked into both on ascent and descent. The hills themselves i feel would be pretty unremarkable in summer. I was hoping for some decent weather as i've been on holiday this week, but it's been shite with little or no chance of clag-free summits.

I wouldn't mind a crack at a traverse of the Lawers group next year, amongst a few others.

A few pics from up Loch Tay that day, now I've finally managed to get pics to upload from phone!

post-21367-13595444902159_thumb.jpg

Ben Lawers range from Meall Greigh

post-21367-1359544579923_thumb.jpg

Ben More & Stob Binnean

post-21367-13595446489812_thumb.jpg

Final ascent to AnStuc

post-21367-13595446932108_thumb.jpg

Setting sun over Ben Lawers from An Stuc

Was hoping to get out this week as off work, but weather atrocious, 135mph wind recorded on Cairngorm last night!

Edited by Desert Nomad

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another fine day in the Mamores yesterday. Starting from Kinlochleven traversed Sgurr Eilde Beag, Binnein Mor & Na Gruagaichan. Plenty snow higher up but annoyingly a mixture of solid snow/ice perfect for crampons and some deep powder in places. The ridge between the last two hills gets narrow but I just stuck to the crest and kicked steps in deep snow. Not much of a wind which helped! 7 hrs 15 mins for the walk.

post-21367-1363252699375_thumb.jpg

post-21367-13632527249046_thumb.jpg

post-21367-13632527455124_thumb.jpg

post-21367-13632528002538_thumb.jpg

Never noticed this thread before. Eastern mamores are a fantastic walk although i nearly killed my GF there by trying to head straight for the ridge between SEB and BM from the Lochan up a near vertical wall instead of the gentler slope to the South. She managed to stop her fall after about 100 feet.

Great photos

The walk up along the Cononish is great on the way up. It's fucking horrible when you just want to get back to the car and go for a pint. The path never seems to end when you're knackered!

When I 'did it' a lightning storm came out of nowhere so I decided to turn back half way up. I didn't even get to the top for my troubles. At least I didn't get frazzled, a guy had been killed on Ben Oss the week before by lightning and that definitely influenced my decision!

done ben a'an and ben venue the last couple of weekends. ben a'an was a nice short walk with a big payoff view wise at the end. would recommend it. ben venue was a much longer walk. 2.5hrs up. some stunning scenery. was still lots of snow lying at the top.which was cool.

looking to do ben ledi the next dry weekend.

Just a quick jaunt around the Fife Lomonds for me this Saturday but hoping to get up to the Tarf hotel next weekend seeing as our game against St johnstone has been moved to the Monday.

That's a jaunt and a half whatever way you go, last time I went I cycled about half way from Blair Atholl, locked up the bike & hiked the rest, remote spot.

That's a jaunt and a half whatever way you go, last time I went I cycled about half way from Blair Atholl, locked up the bike & hiked the rest, remote spot.

Aye, up over Carn a Chlamain from Blair Atholl on the Friday and hopefully Carn an Fheidhleir and An Sgarsoch on Saturday and another night in the bothy but depends on river levels, might just take a slow walk down Glen Tilt on the Saturday

• 4 weeks later...

My work is looking to do a bit of charity work and I've thrown my hat in to do the West Highland Way for sponsorship money. Need a bit of advise on resources I'll need e.t.c. if anyone can help.

Forgot to post last week, had an super day on the Five Sisters of Kintail on Easter Sunday. Snow underfoot all the way round, with good crampon conditions on north-facing slopes. First car picked me up as I hitched back up the glen from Kintail. Over eight hours on the hill, the beer went down superbly in Dornie that evening.

My work is looking to do a bit of charity work and I've thrown my hat in to do the West Highland Way for sponsorship money. Need a bit of advise on resources I'll need e.t.c. if anyone can help.

theres loads of ways to do it depending on if your camping out or staying in b&bs. you can hump your own kit or pay someone else to carry it. you can do it in 3,4 or 5 days which will influence where you stay.

tbh you start of in a shithole,end in a shithole and spend days wandering underneath some of scotlands greatest mountain country with hundreds of other people along a muddy path.you could find a lot more interesting things to do but obviously people know what the whw is so maybe easier to get sponsorship. i did with mates but binned the last day to head from kinlochleven over the mamores into glen nevis.

you get very reasonably priced guidebooks, check out amazon