Hillwalking Thread

Done Ben Arthur a few weeks ago minus the scary bit, a nice day for a walk but the first hill i've done in years and i felt it afterwards. Some nice views of loch long too.

Really need to get back in shape as i enjoyed it and realised that i miss the hills and with no more fitba i need soemthing to do.

Hi all, looks like I could be climbing ben nevis in 6 weeks time, I'm relatively inexperienced in hillwalking (did doe bronze and silver at school as well as a decent amount of walking with the BB). Are walking boots a necessity or will a good pair of trainers be good enough? And should I do some training between now and then?

Not an expert but boots will keep your feet dry/er, give more support and grip than trainers. Sports direct has some decent prices just now. Definitley do some training if you can as i nearly killed myself a few weeks ago by being out of shape.

Remember even in summer the weather can change quickly.

Hi all, looks like I could be climbing ben nevis in 6 weeks time, I'm relatively inexperienced in hillwalking (did doe bronze and silver at school as well as a decent amount of walking with the BB). Are walking boots a necessity or will a good pair of trainers be good enough? And should I do some training between now and then?

I wouldn't go up their in trainers dhd, you will end up with badly blistered feet more than likely.You seem to be fairly fit,but doing a couple of smaller hills beforehand wouldn't be a bad idea,good luck.

I wouldn't go up their in trainers dhd, you will end up with badly blistered feet more than likely.You seem to be fairly fit,but doing a couple of smaller hills beforehand wouldn't be a bad idea,good luck.

I'll go buy boots tomorrow I think then. Spending the next week in the lake district so will get a decent amount of walking in then, and hopefully a couple hills around perthshire over the next few weeks.

cheers for the replies.

Did the carn mor dearg arrete to ben nevis today.started at 5a.m and had great weather nearly all the way up until we reached the nevis summit and it was pissing down.felt sorry for the hoardes we met on the way down, struggling up the tourist route with a forecast of heavy rain and strong winds.......

Done the ring of steall a few weekends ago - epic day out. One of the best i've done and great view of nevis and the grey corries!

It`s definitely on my hitlist. I did the opposite horseshoe over Stob Ban a few winters back in what was probably my best winter day on the hill to date. Snow underfoot from the minute we left the car in Glen Nevis under bright blue skies. Love the Mamores.

Did my first Munro on Saturday - Schiehallion. Good fun, although the apparently endless scrambling over boulders wasn't so enjoyable. And wearing work boots a tad too small for me means my feet look like they've been napalmed. Neither me nor my mate had hiked before, but neither of us found it too difficult. My feet were really sore on the descent, though. The only disappointment was the cloud that engulfed us near the top, meaning we couldn't see a thing at the summit.

Definitely got the bug though, and I'll be investing in a pair of proper hiking boots. Can you get a good pair for around forty quid?

And any suggestions on where we should go next, something offering a bit more of a challenge than Schiehallion ('bit' being the operative word)?

Did my first Munro on Saturday - Schiehallion. Good fun, although the apparently endless scrambling over boulders wasn't so enjoyable. And wearing work boots a tad too small for me means my feet look like they've been napalmed. Neither me nor my mate had hiked before, but neither of us found it too difficult. My feet were really sore on the descent, though. The only disappointment was the cloud that engulfed us near the top, meaning we couldn't see a thing at the summit.

Definitely got the bug though, and I'll be investing in a pair of proper hiking boots. Can you get a good pair for around forty quid?

And any suggestions on where we should go next, something offering a bit more of a challenge than Schiehallion ('bit' being the operative word)?

You would be better to get a hillwalking book to give you a good idea of what you want to climb,Cameron McNeishs "The Munros" is good.Not a expert of boot prices but you should get a decent pair for forty or fifty quid. Climbed Broad Cairn and Cairn Bannoch yesterday in a horseshoe route from glen doll,didn't see a single soul in six hours

Don't scrimp on a pair of boots. A good pair will last you for years and can be used for anything from a walk in the country to climbing in Torridon in the depths of winter.

Low priced boots will (probably) not be rigid enough to take a crampon if you ever want to get into winter walking.

Have said it before, but your boots are the most important bit of kit. You can skimp on other things fairly easily, but a pair of ill-fitting, or poor quality boots can leave you sore, wet & miserable. Get them fitted properly.

Been a miserable few weekends for the hills, hoping to get out Sunday or Monday, possibly Trossachs or Crianlarich.

Glad you enjoyed it, shedboy, but what a pity about the cloud. The views from the summit of Schiehallion are stunning - being about the centre of Scotland, you can see both the west and east coasts on a clear day. Ben Nevis and other peaks can be identified, and to the south you can identify Edinburgh and Glasgow. Would have been midgie-free too?

Did Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich on Monday. 15 miles, two Munros and bergan rash at the bottom of my back. Not to mention what some fanny had left lying in the hills. :angry:

206148_256367947805972_1095905757_n.jpg

Edited by jester

• 2 weeks later...

Have been trying to get out walking every few weeks but it's hard going when it pishes down most weekends and anything off the beaten path turns to mush...

Still building up my fitness, and ankles, for bigger hills so doing a mixture of longer flatter walks and some low hills

..got the bus to Drymen a few weeks ago and walked back along the WHW to Milngavie. Beautiful sunny day and really quiet on route. Magic.

...spent the other Sunday doing Conic in the morning, lunch at the Carbeth Inn and Auchineden and the Whangie in the afternoon. Bit drizzly but really enjoyed it.

....tomorrow is a flattish walk through Glen Loin and Coiregrograin at Arrochar. 10.5 miles on military tracks and paths with views along Loch Long Details from Walk Highlands

Looking to build up to Munros over the next few months

i hadn't been hillwalking for over 10 years until yesterday but some drunked inspiration at the weekend lead to a trek up ben more and ben stob binien. an enjoyable day out slightly spoiled by cloud and rolling mist which meant we didn't get any view from the summits which are supposed to be spectacular. we made up for it slightly by descending most of the way of the beauluch on our arses :lol:

going up the south side of ben more was torture to begin with and i thought i was going to keel over at one point but when we were about half way up i seemed to find a bit of a second wind and i was fine after that. in saying that my legs are knotted today.

• 1 month later...