Hillwalking Thread

My plan is to do Carn a'Chlamain on Sunday which will complete the Blair Atholl munros for me. By the looks of the map, I left the easiest to last!

I'm planning to test my bike's off road capabilities and cycle up Glen Tilt to the bottom which should half the time. I've cycled up as far as Gilbert Bridge before so I know the path's an easy cycle. Just got to remember and avoid the firing range because it's active on Sunday!

My plan is to do Carn a'Chlamain on Sunday which will complete the Blair Atholl munros for me. By the looks of the map, I left the easiest to last!

I'm going to move into that area next.

I've done all the Arrochar Alps and pretty much all the hills around Crianlarich/Tyndrum/Bridge of Orchy as well as a smattering of random ones here and there.

I'm going to move into that area next.

I've done all the Arrochar Alps and pretty much all the hills around Crianlarich/Tyndrum/Bridge of Orchy as well as a smattering of random ones here and there.

I need to investigate that area a bit more thoroughly, I've only done the WHW route.

Blair Atholl area is great, amazing views from the top of Beinn Dearg and Carn nan Gabhar (not sure about Carn Liath because I couldn't see anything for cloud). The camping site beside the Castle is top notch and I'm partial to a pint of the local "Braveheart Ale" :D I fancy doing Schiehallion in winter time, which would be the last Munro in the Perthshire area I think.

Not sure where I'll go after Blair Atholl. Probably head to Dalwhinnie and do Ben Alder, Aonach Beag etc via Culra. Always fancied doing The Fara too, apparently there's a wee bit scrambling involved if you approach via the Dirc Mhor.

You should head up to Braemar and do the Cairngorms from the South, as from the end of the road you need to cycle a good few miles up to Derry Lodge to actually begin the climbs.

I've walked from Braemar to Rothiemurchus via the Lairig Ghru, stayed in the Rothiemurchus Lodge then round Cairngorm and back to Braemar via Glen Derry. I could do something similar but actually do some climbs this time. I'll need to speak to the Lodge nicely though since I've left the RNR since I did that walk!

Ben More was indeed an almighty slog. Well worth it once we got to the top though. The views are fantastic. But I'll never be back! :lol:

And we also went across and did Beinn St???? whatever Thought we might as well when we were there anyway.

edit to add... Stob Binnein.

Had to go and look it up.

Edited by Reynard

I am clueless about many things in life, including Hillwalking. What's the difference between a Munro, and a Glen?

I did four of the Angus Glens' in the Summe, and fairly enjoyed it, but I suppose you need all the kit for attemping it round the Highlands etc?

Anyone know any good sites for Beginners?

I am clueless about many things in life, including Hillwalking. What's the difference between a Munro, and a Glen?

I did four of the Angus Glens' in the Summe, and fairly enjoyed it, but I suppose you need all the kit for attemping it round the Highlands etc?

Anyone know any good sites for Beginners?

The different hills in Scotland have different names depending on their height.

Graham - 2,000 to 2,499 feet

Corbett - 2,500 to 2,999 feet

Munro - 3,000 feet or over

A Glen isn't a hill, it's a gap between hills. It can often have a river running through it.

A good site is Munro Magic.

You need decent kit for any hill climb, not just in the highlands. Loads of the Munros are within two or three hours' drive of Central Scotland and you can do these in a day - lunch, water, waterproofs, warm and dry clothing, map and compass (even if you have GPS), boots, clothing, thermals etc.. For ones where you can't do them in a day you need a decent wind/waterproof tent.

Edited by Gaz

I'm sorry, I thought I was supposed to go on a hillwalk today. Instead, I decided to take my own route up and ended up rock climbing.

To make things worse, in frustration I threw my bag off what looked like a small ledge and it turned out to be a rather massive drop. 30 mins later and I had my bag back, along with no skin left in my arms and hands.

I'm planning to test my bike's off road capabilities and cycle up Glen Tilt to the bottom which should half the time. I've cycled up as far as Gilbert Bridge before so I know the path's an easy cycle. Just got to remember and avoid the firing range because it's active on Sunday!

It's not the most difficult, but in my opinion it's one of the nicest hill walks in the area. It's a really nice shapely hill, which you'll apreciate as you get close to it if the weather is good. I don't think you'll have any bother with the firing range - where you branch off the main track and cut up the hillside is well beyond that, and even if you come down on the West side you'll still be well away from it. We did the Corbett to the West of it - whose name I can't remember - a couple of months back, and we didn't go near the range even for that. One thing I remember from that one is that the legs got a bit of a shock, going from a nice easy fairly flat path up Glen Tilt, to a pretty steep start to the climb, just like that.

I'm missing my hillwalking just now - this ridiculous flatness where I'm staying just now just isn't good!

Did you do it from the rest and be thankful side? Or up past Narnain and The Cobbler? It's quite a dull hill doing it after Narnain. I think I will go back and do it from the R&BT side as it looks a better climb.

Did that last week, parked in the layby just before the R&BT, where there's a bridge crossing the burn. It's a much better route than from succouth, but it's almost straight up over rough ground till you reach the boulder field at the summit. A fair bit of scrambling in places.. We only met one other person all day, which is very unusual for the cobbler... Also made it to the 'true' summit, since it was a nice day with little or no wind, and the views were spectacular. I did notice someone had left a plastic flower halfway up the summit slab, anyone know what that signifies?

Just back from a good weeks holiday in Wester Ross. Managed up Cul Beag, Beinn Mor Coigach(a super day with great views over the Summer Isles), & Beinn Dearg(Torridon one). Good views, but blustery on the tops!

Spent a few days in Torridon mid-summer. Excellent part of the country. Did Ben Alligin with my dad one day. An excellent climb on a stunning mountain, with a good variety of walking, scrambling etc.

Going to do Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin sometime this week if the weather gets better. They look fairly easy and there should be a good path.

I can't wait til it's winter again!

Did these two a couple of weeks ago. Ben Vorlich is a very straightforward climb, with a clear path all the way up. Stuc a' Chroin is a little trickier, with less defined paths and some steep climbing. A good days exercise all round.