Hillwalking Thread

Forgot to say, I really enjoyed it as a walk. I love a good bit of long distance walking so it was quite nice to combine a long walk with an actual climb.

Our walk today went quite well, but we made a bit of a hash of it an ended up baw deep in gorse for a bit. As the Ochil's are about as bland asyou can get, we've decided to do a night hike up Ben Cleuch for a bit for excitement.

You'r forgetting about the Ferns, Thistles, Nettles and numerous Burns we came across too, fucked that one right up. Sliding down the side of Whitewisp Hill on our arses was a good laugh though :lol:

Can anyone suggest 2 days worth pf walking around the Fort William area, preferably within 30 mins drive of Fort William itself.

I'm looking for interesting walks with a bit or variety which should last about 5-6 hours. Cheers

There are a few good walks around the Glen Nevis area and the Mamores..

Drove to the end of Glen Lochay yesterday - climbed Sgiath Chuil, two years after having set off to do it before.

Back then I had intended to do it after Meall Glas (starting at Auchessan), but having reached it I saw the rain coming over from the north and thought "f**k it" and headed back.

Yesterday I took the approach from the north side - miles better than the southern route and worth the extra drive. Great views of Ben More, Stob Binnein, Ben Challum, Meall Ghaordaidh, Creag Mhor & Beinn Heasgarnich.

As with Meall Glas two years ago, I had the whole hill to myself. ;)

I'm meeting a few friends up in Blair Atholl this weekend, they're going to see the Blair Horse Trials but I can't be arsed paying to trail around stalls and watch horses jump fences, so I think I'll head up early and climb Beinn A'Ghlo then meet up with them in the early evening.

WalkHighlands say it takes 9-10hrs, can anyone confirm that?

(Mind you they say Beinn Dearg alone takes 8-10hrs and I did Beinn Dearg, Beinn Gharbh, Elrig 'ic an Toisich, Carn a' Chiaraidh and Beinn Mheadhonach in under 10hrs)

Climbed Ben Vorlich last Friday.

It's a decent walk - great views on the top.

Didn't fancy climbing Stuc a Croin on a wet day so came back.

I would recommend doing Vorlich on its own, great path all the way up.

Can anyone confirm what the Cullins on Skye are like? I've heard so many contrasting stories.

My mates who are into hillwaking seem to think they were a decent challenge, but that anyone could so them, but others seem to think that they are really difficult and not for the faint hearted.

I'm a relatively experienced and fit hillwalker and wouldn't have any problems with them but I'm going with my friend (Shakehand Tom) who although has good fitness is an inexperienced hillwalker who might struggle a bit with massively exposed prolonged scrambling.

We're open to chnaging our plans so just wanted to get some first hand accounts. Cheers.

Can anyone confirm what the Cullins on Skye are like? I've heard so many contrasting stories.

My mates who are into hillwaking seem to think they were a decent challenge, but that anyone could so them, but others seem to think that they are really difficult and not for the faint hearted.

I'm a relatively experienced and fit hillwalker and wouldn't have any problems with them but I'm going with my friend (Shakehand Tom) who although has good fitness is an inexperienced hillwalker who might struggle a bit with massively exposed prolonged scrambling.

We're open to chnaging our plans so just wanted to get some first hand accounts. Cheers.

I've only done Sgurr Nan Gillean. and there's not that much scrambling involved to climb her depending which route you go. I was led up some daft hanging valley on the way up which involved a wee bit technical ability but we came back down a really easy route. Having said that, I won't have been comfortable doing the final climb to the peak in the wet (despite gabbro being pretty grippy).

It's really exposed at the top and I discovered I get vertigo, although that be also due to the fact that I climbed her with a stinking hangover.

Cheers.

Did Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers and An Stuc today.

Plodded along for the first hour or so then seemed to get a sudden burst of energy and was flying for the whole of the rest of the walk. The weather was dire at best and the visibility was non existant above 2500ft but I had a great day.

Took approx 4 hrs 25 mins.

My hillwalking schedule is as follows…………

Fri 27th Aug – Beinn Chabhair and An Caisteal

Mon 31st Aug – Bynack More (Cairngorms)

Tue 1st Sept – Cairn Gorm and Beinn Mheadhoin (Cairngorms)

Thur 3rd Sept – Braeriach (Cairngorms)

Thurs 10th Sept – Beinn Dhubchraig and Ben Oss

Friday 11th Sept – Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a’ Chreachain

That should keep me busy, and if I’m not a bronzed Adonis after that I may as well give up!

I did the 3 Munros of Beinn a'Ghlo in 7 hours.

Some fairly steep sections - mainly the ascent of Carn Liath (first munro) and from the first bealach up Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain (second Munro). Having said that I got overtaken by a hill-runner after on the shoulder of Carn Liath.

Had fantastic views from Carn nan Garbhar, but barely saw anything on first two peaks due to low cloud cover (I was navigating mainly by compass). Followed the recommended route back following Allt Beach an Fhiodha, which is a slog - there is a stalkers' trail but it's indistinct so most of the time you're either ploughing through deep heather or bogs (there's nothing worse than doing it in the rain either!). I'd probably have returned via first two peaks to be honest, but it was really windy and it seemed to be picking up so I' opted for the "easy" route down.

Carn Liath from main track

post-1954-1251640919_thumb.jpg

Me on summit of Carn nan Garbhar

post-1954-1251641207_thumb.jpg

Rather hoping to head out in the middle of the night at some point this week to get an early start on Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin. I'm determined that I'm going to do these feckers as a pair this year.

I think I've been to the summit of Ben Vorlich 3 times now but for various reasons didn't go on to do Stuc.

• 2 weeks later...

Two pieces of news for us hillwalkers -

1. The landslip and road closure on the A83 at the Rest and Be Thankful - means I'll not be doing Beinn Bhuidhe any day soon. Quite glad I'd notched up all of the Arrochars ages ago.

2. The impending change to the list of Munros. Tomorrow at 2.30pm the SMC are holding a news conference.

The list will be amended - the 3 smallest Munros (including Ben Vane) have been re-measured. Given that 2 high Corbetts were found to be smaller than thought a couple of years ago (when many expected a promotion to Munro height), it is likely we will be losing one or more, although Cameron McNeish says that there is to be a promotion also (dunno if it's a Munro top or a Corbett, though).

Watch this space.

Edited by AyrshireTon

Supposed to be walking Ben More at the weekend. Don't know anything about it but I'm looking forward to getting ack out. I walk with a group of four of us and its quite hard to gather us all together for a walk. But its good fun when we do.

Ben Vane was the last walk we did. Thankfully it was still a Munro when we did it. I probably eroded it just enough to f**k up its status and turn it into a Corbett. :P

Edited by Reynard

Supposed to be walking Ben More at the weekend. Don't know anything about it but I'm looking forward to getting ack out. I walk with a group of four of us and its quite hard to gather us all together for a walk. But its good fun when we do.

Ben Vane was the last walk we did. Thankfully it was still a Munro when we did it. I probably eroded it just enough to f**k up its status and turn it into a Corbett. :P

Is it the one near Stob Binean? If so it's a bit of a slog.

Think so.

I quite like discouraging slogs anyway. It wont bother me. I hope its pissing down too.

Fair enough. I haven't climbed it, but a mate of mine climbed the both of them. Said that Ben More isn't an interesting hill at all - it's a straight up, straight back down job. You can be at the summit in an hour and a half if you're fit.

Edited by Gaz

Thurs 10th Sept – Beinn Dhubchraig and Ben Oss

Friday 11th Sept – Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a’ Chreachain

Got these wee badgers today and tomorrow and the weather is meant to be great.

Ben More is sucide material. When you're at the top you'll have wished you'd gone to the garden centre with the wife instead.

Two pieces of news for us hillwalkers -

1. The landslip and road closure on the A83 at the Rest and Be Thankful - means I'll not be doing Beinn Bhuidhe any day soon. Quite glad I'd notched up all of the Arrochars ages ago.

2. The impending change to the list of Munros. Tomorrow at 2.30pm the SMC are holding a news conference.

The list will be amended - the 3 smallest Munros (including Ben Vane) have been re-measured. Given that 2 high Corbetts were found to be smaller than thought a couple of years ago (when many expected a promotion to Munro height), it is likely we will be losing one or more, although Cameron McNeish says that there is to be a promotion also (dunno if it's a Munro top or a Corbett, though).

Watch this space.

One less Munro, no other changes.