Hillwalking Thread

Can anyone suggest 2 days worth pf walking around the Fort William area, preferably within 30 mins drive of Fort William itself.

I'm looking for interesting walks with a bit or variety which should last about 5-6 hours. Cheers

Can anyone suggest 2 days worth pf walking around the Fort William area, preferably within 30 mins drive of Fort William itself.

I'm looking for interesting walks with a bit or variety which should last about 5-6 hours. Cheers

Try asking on Scottish Hills or Walk Highlands, they'll help you out.

Just back from 3 days up north, staying at my wife's pal's house in Inverness.

Saturday - stopped on the way up at Glenmore, just beyond Aviemore. Climbed Bynack More - a knackering start with 20k all in by the time I got back to the car. At the summit I was shattered and gave up on the idea of going to see the "barns of Bynack" - and took a photo from where I was.

Sunday - headed north to climb Ben Wyvis. It is a great hill with a fine path and excellent ridge walk. The calmest summit ever, which unfortunately meant midges and a couple of wasps.

Today - On the way back down the A9 I went to Aviemore again and ascended Cairn Gorm. My route was a tricky one, involving endlessly scrambling up the boulders of the west side of the Fiacaill a' Choire Chais ridge. Briefly mistook the ridge's cairn for the summit, but clicked when I realised there ought to have been a radio mast (this was my only drizzly outing and visibility was very poor). There are loads of cairns leading off the summit back towards the restaurant.

I did Ben Chonzie on Sunday (it was as shit as I remember - took about 2 hrs 50mins) just to get my hillwalking fitness back up to scratch as I'm going away walking next week.

I'd go for a good 5 or 6 hour walk in the Ochils on Wed or Thur just to get me up to full speed

The schedule will be......

Bidean Nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Buachaille Etive More

Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean

Kinlochleven to Fort William along the WHW

need some quick advice .

Think ill jump on a bus to milngavie tomorrow and do the west highland way .

Completely unprepared , just throwing some stuff into a bag right now. Dont even have a map yet.

Is it possible to complete it in 4 days?

I want to get back in time for the Raith game

need some quick advice .

Think ill jump on a bus to milngavie tomorrow and do the west highland way .

Completely unprepared , just throwing some stuff into a bag right now. Dont even have a map yet.

Is it possible to complete it in 4 days?

I want to get back in time for the Raith game

It is possible to do it in 4 days, but it's pretty pointless. It would just be an unrelenting slog for 10 hours a day and I doubt you'd enjoy it.

Buachaille Etive More

Did this the other week, was a good days walk, some scrambling involved getting on and off the ridge. The path from the Lairig Gartain to the road is very boggy, probably best to have a change of trousers if you're walking that way. Also saw plenty deer and a couple hares.

Has anyone done Ben Bhuidhe in the Trossachs? Looks like the walk is is very long so I was thinking of camping out the night before. Not going to get many hills done this year but this one I did fancy but think I'd need to have a very early start (either camp or leave at about 4am).

Is that the one that starts at Glen Fyne? If so, I did it with my mate from uni and it and it only took circa 5 hrs 30 minutes and I felt I was going quite a bit slower than normal (she hadn't done much hillwalking before).

Thanks for that...

Fudge Time = 5hrs30mins

Mouse Time = Fudge time + 50% Fudge time

And yeah it's the same one you're thinking of.

Thanks for that...

Fudge Time = 5hrs30mins

Mouse Time = Fudge time + 50% Fudge time

And yeah it's the same one you're thinking of.

I've just had a look at munromagic to reaquaint myself with it. The walk on the relative flat to the start of the climb is 4.5 miles (and so 4.5 miles back as well). The actual up and down must only have taken us 2 hrs 30 mins, because a 9 mile walk in/out would take about 3hrs.

I might ascend/descend a bit quicker than you but I doubt you'd take much more time on the flat so I doubt you'd take as much more time than me than you think.

I don't think it would take you more than 7 hours even if your were ambling (remember I did this one with a girl, and they're rubbish at hillwalking :ph34r: )

Forgot to say, I really enjoyed it as a walk. I love a good bit of long distance walking so it was quite nice to combine a long walk with an actual climb.

Our walk today went quite well, but we made a bit of a hash of it an ended up baw deep in gorse for a bit. As the Ochil's are about as bland asyou can get, we've decided to do a night hike up Ben Cleuch for a bit for excitement.