Hillwalking Thread

Hi all... I have just discovered this thread, so have not really read all the way through it but hope it will prove informative. Ive just recently got back into walking after several years of idleness so it's good to know i'm not the only mad baisturt out there who likes traipsing through the hills on a wet winters day....

I'm hoping to try the west highland way this year so anyone got any advice on that then it would be most appreciated.

:)

MM - we approached it from Callendar. It was in March IIRC and a reasonably warm day. We were able to ford the river with no problems on the way up, but on the way back down the river was at least two or three feet deeper due to snowmelt.

We spent forty minutes trying to find a place to cross before just biting the bullet and wading in, then walking back to the car with wet feet. I hate wet feet :(

That's what I though, we're going to be doing it from Ardvorlich up the South Loch Earn road but we'll be going over ben Vorlich first.

That's what I though, we're going to be doing it from Ardvorlich up the South Loch Earn road but we'll be going over ben Vorlich first.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) is easy. Keep going over the back and down to the col. The scrambly path up the buttress of Stuc a' Chroin is okay, and a little easier than, say, scrambling up the Cobbler. Poles will be a hindrance, though - I had to keep flinging mine up to free my hands and climbing up to them.

Come down the path at the col to the west of the scramble and go round Ben Vorlich to meet its descent path again.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) is easy. Keep going over the back and down to the col. The scrambly path up the buttress of Stuc a' Chroin is okay, and a little easier than, say, scrambling up the Cobbler. Poles will be a hindrance, though - I had to keep flinging mine up to free my hands and climbing up to them.

Come down the path at the col to the west of the scramble and go round Ben Vorlich to meet its descent path again.

I know, this'll be my third time I'll have been at its summit. Last time we didnt have time to try Stuc a chroin. :(

Can someone suggest a good Munro with 90 mins (or so) drive of Glasgow that has a really good well worn and obvious path. Preferable completetion time of around 4 hours. Danke.

I know some people like trapsing through the thick stuff, but I can never be bothered especially when I'm just away on a relaxing day walk.

Can someone suggest a good Munro with 90 mins (or so) drive of Glasgow that has a really good well worn and obvious path. Preferable completetion time of around 4 hours. Danke.

I know some people like trapsing through the thick stuff, but I can never be bothered especially when I'm just away on a relaxing day walk.

The obvious one is Ben Lomond I suppose, but there are other good ones like Ben Ime, Ben Vane or Ben Vorlich on the west side of Loch Lomond. As far as I can recall they fit your criteria quite well....

The obvious one is Ben Lomond I suppose, but there are other good ones like Ben Ime, Ben Vane or Ben Vorlich on the west side of Loch Lomond. As far as I can recall they fit your criteria quite well....

Wouldn't say Vane fitted myself. The path, such as there is, is not easy to follow and the hill itself is very steep in places. I had to physically pull someone up in places. Great views from the top though. Beinn Ime is a good suggestion though. There is a good path from Arrochar at least as far at the bealach below the summit and if you go on a clear day you cannot really go wrong from there.

I've done all of the Arrochar Alps and all of the mountains around Crianlarich so now find myself having to go up to Glencoe region for a new challenge. Tomorrow and Sunday I'll just be myself and can't quite be bothered making that length of jaunt.

I'll have a root around Munro Magic and let the good people of p&b know what I intend to do.

EDIT - I forgot my last trip to the Lawers hills had to be cancelled so i'll do all of them.

Edited by Fudge

Cruachan

Well today I finished off the Lawers range - 2 Munros and a Corbett.

Started near the cairn at the road north of Lochan na Lairig and did Meall Corranaich, Meall a' Choire Leith and then Meall nam Maigheach.

The latter was the Corbett, and I was seriously flagging on the way up. Almost chucked it, but told myself that I was not going to drive for 2 and a half hours just to do a 50 minute Corbett, so I kept on going and bagged it too.

loody hell that's me been to the summit of Vorlich three times now and we never reached the summit of Stuc a chroin yesterday either. It was so hot the walk up Vorlich took us ages and by the time we got to the Coll between them we decided it was a) too nice not to have a wee rest in the sun and B) going to take us far too long to complete the two. My friend went on and did Stuc too as he is far fitter than us. He left the Coll at 3.30 and was back down again at 5.30, we waved to him when he was at the top and he waved back.

It was a glorious day but feck me neither Steven or me take the heat well. :lol: I think we'll tackle Stuc from Callander next time as the walk up Vorlich is a bit samey (especially after 3 times). In saying that I can't really think of a better way to spend such a wonderful day. This is exactly how I like my walks - lots and lots of time to just chill out and be happy about the fact you're getting to see some beautiful sights without looking in a book. :D

post-67-1243847966_thumb.jpg

post-67-1243847982_thumb.jpg

Did Ben Chonzie on Saturday, the heat was a killer but it soon cooled off.

Pretty much straight forward and slightly boring but the views at the top made it worthwhile.

I didn't see any of the hares all the guides were mentioning?

:huh:

Started at 10 and made it back down for 2, seemed okay.

Going to try Ben Venue next week.

:D

Thanks for the advice earlier on in the thread.

Did Ben Chonzie on Saturday, the heat was a killer but it soon cooled off.

Pretty much straight forward and slightly boring but the views at the top made it worthwhile.

I didn't see any of the hares all the guides were mentioning?

:huh:

Started at 10 and made it back down for 2, seemed okay.

Going to try Ben Venue next week.

:D

Thanks for the advice earlier on in the thread.

Here's a really terrible picture of one of the hares we seen up Ben Chonzie in January. You'll enjoy Ben Venue it's a bit different to Chonzie but it's a slightly more enjoyable walk I think. Bog might be a bit drier than when we tried it in Easter too.

post-67-1243861528_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Did Beinn Ime today, has to resort to mapreading with a compas to find my way up, it was misty as f**k.

Then at the top found dozens of runners doing the Arrochar race over the top.

:lol:

Absolute fucking nutcases doing four Munros.

Did Beinn Ime today, has to resort to mapreading with a compas to find my way up, it was misty as f**k.

Then at the top found dozens of runners doing the Arrochar race over the top.

:lol:

Absolute fucking nutcases doing four Munros.

Did you do it from the rest and be thankful side? Or up past Narnain and The Cobbler? It's quite a dull hill doing it after Narnain. I think I will go back and do it from the R&BT side as it looks a better climb.

Finally did Ben Vane a couple of weekends ago and quite enjoyed it. It was the day when there was a lot of thunderstorms in the North Glasgow area. We missed them up the hill but we got stuck for hours on the A82 coming through Dumbarton. Dreadful road.

Did you do it from the rest and be thankful side? Or up past Narnain and The Cobbler? It's quite a dull hill doing it after Narnain. I think I will go back and do it from the R&BT side as it looks a better climb.

Finally did Ben Vane a couple of weekends ago and quite enjoyed it. It was the day when there was a lot of thunderstorms in the North Glasgow area. We missed them up the hill but we got stuck for hours on the A82 coming through Dumbarton. Dreadful road.

Did it from Succoth/Cobbler side, it was quite dull but I couldn't see anything beyond fifty yards.

I couldn't believe how busy the Cobbler was, there was a 'traffic jam' of people at one stage.

Might go back and do it and Narnairn on a quieter weekday.

I might be right in thinking this is my first contribution to this thread in over a year, which shows you that my boots have been sitting there gathering stoor.

Climbed Ben Vane ealier today. 4 of us were intending to do Ben Lomond but 2 dropped out. Because me and my mate are more experienced climbers than the other 2 we decided to climb somewhere else. Looking back it wasn't too challenging, but not easy so it was a happy medium. We went up fairly early this morning so it was cooler. I felt sorry for the poor sods climbing the hill when we were coming down in the midday sun :lol:

I'm sunburnt, very tired and my feet are sore. But I had fun :)