Hillwalking Thread

Went up ben cleugh one morning a couple weeks ago and up Ben ledi last week, unfortunately both days were cloudy, was up and down Ben ledi in about 3 and a half hours, was absolutely shattered, hopefully do some more hillwalking in the next couple of weeks to try and regain some fitness.

Guest oddjob

I decided to drive along Loch Arkaig and check it out. One of the most intense driving I've had for a while.

Some good camping near the top of the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Nipped out early this morning to New Cumnock, and up Glen Afton to climb Blackcraigs Hill (a Graham).

Set off at 8.05 and was back at the car by 10.45. The whole time it was overcast, cold and threatening to rain. No sooner had I sat in the car to munch on a sandwich - the sun came out and stayed out. <_<

The hill itself is a straightforward one - a path (strewn with sheepshit) to a col, then follow a fence up to a large plateau, nip over an almost invisible stile and the summit is the fourth cairn (and also has a trig). One of the marshiest summit areas I've seen.

• 4 weeks later...
Thinking of doing Ben Chonzie on Saturday, seems like an easy-ish climb?

Any advice would be welcome.

;)

A walk in the park. By far the easiest Munro I've ever done. A couple of hours in decent weather should do it.

Yeah, Ben Chonzie is a piece of piss. I think we were up and down in 3 hours which included a stop at the top for some lunch.

Was up Mount Keen on saturday which is also extremely easy. It was pishing with rain though and with the howling wind and low cloud cover meant that the visibilty was virtually zero.

Nice one, I see that it is ranked 11th.

:o

Some Munros I guess are easier than Corbettes, I did Ben Ledi, that seemed quite difficult.

Some Munros I guess are easier than Corbettes, I did Ben Ledi, that seemed quite difficult.

I did Bed Ledi back when I was a right fat pie and found it absolutely murder. I'm sure that even now it would pose me more problems than a decent percentage of Munros.

I've never did Ben Ledi, but my mate has attempted it twice and had to turn back due to poor weather and visibility both times.

I'm off to Glen Coe this long weekend for a mate's stag do. We're going to be funyaking, canyoning, paintballing and I think we're squeezing in a walk or two on the Monday.

Had a couple of days in the Cairngorms last week, climbed Beinn Bhrotainn and Monadh Mor, camped out on the col just to the north, and climbed Angel's Peak and Cairn Toul at dawn next day. Beautiful it was. I don't do that sort of thing nearly enough but I will do more this year.

Some Munros are hardly worth the bother other than for bagging reasons.

Ben Ledi was quite a tough walk when I did it. But I was just getting over a stinking cold which probably made it worse for me. Some of the Corbetts are great walks. Some folk just won't bother with them as they are under the magic 3000ft mark. That's their loss.

Thank feck I thought I was the only one that found Ledi quite tough going especially at the start of the walk.

Next couple for me are Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin on Sunfay if the weather is good. Been trying to get up Stuc a Chroin for a while now but this'll be my third time going up Ben Vorlich.

Thank feck I thought I was the only one that found Ledi quite tough going especially at the start of the walk.

Next couple for me are Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin on Sunfay if the weather is good. Been trying to get up Stuc a Chroin for a while now but this'll be my third time going up Ben Vorlich.

Be careful with Stuc a'Chroin, particularly if it's been raining heavily. There is a bridge marked on the map at 642 310 that doesn't exist in real life! You can ford the river but if it's been raining then it's difficult to do it, there aren't a great many places to do so.

Be careful with Stuc a'Chroin, particularly if it's been raining heavily. There is a bridge marked on the map at 642 310 that doesn't exist in real life! You can ford the river but if it's been raining then it's difficult to do it, there aren't a great many places to do so.

Isn't the lack of bridge problem from the Callander side of the hill though? I took a wander down into the gully between Vorlich and Stuc last time I was there and it seemed reasonably straight forward and mostly rocky. I know there's a bit of scrambling needed but I don't think I'd have a problem there.

Bloody tell me about it! :lol:

Baw deep in icy cold water in mid winter was not my idea of fun!

Please tell me this happened on the route straight to Stuc a Chroin rather than on route to Stuc from Vorlich. :o

I'm really not sure. It's been a while since I did it, but I just remember the sheer frustration at there not being a bridge.

In the summer the stream would easy to be jump over, or at least hop over a few rocks to get across, it's nothing major. Even in winter it was only up to about knee hight, though it was only a couple of degrees above freezing and my boots and legs got soaked!

Edited by Fudge

MM - we approached it from Callendar. It was in March IIRC and a reasonably warm day. We were able to ford the river with no problems on the way up, but on the way back down the river was at least two or three feet deeper due to snowmelt.

We spent forty minutes trying to find a place to cross before just biting the bullet and wading in, then walking back to the car with wet feet. I hate wet feet :(

We spent forty minutes trying to find a place to cross before just biting the bullet and wading in, then walking back to the car with wet feet. I hate wet feet :(

I ALWAYS get wet feet!

I do a lot of my walking in the winter, so it comes with the teritory, but then number of times the path has actually been nothing more than small stream is getting beyond a joke.