Hillwalking Thread

I've just done my first three Munros but don't intend to go round ticking them off a list; I just want to cherry-pick some interesting ones. I was on Ben Lomond on Sunday, up the slog and down the more interesting Ptarmigan and liked the look of Ben Arthur (Cobblers to you :P ) but I read a couple of articles that suggested it's a wee bit tricky up top. Is that true? Also it seems to have three peaks. Is there a main one or do you have to do all three to have done it properly?

Edit - I know it's not a Munro but that's not important to me.

Getting to the Cobbler's true summit is a little tricky as it involves a bit of scrambling and exposure (wayhey). I did it not too long ago so if you browse through the last couple of pages of this thread you'll find my experience hidden away somewhere. My friend came up with me but despite being the more experienced of us she chose not to attempt the proper summit.

I've just done my first three Munros but don't intend to go round ticking them off a list; I just want to cherry-pick some interesting ones. I was on Ben Lomond on Sunday, up the slog and down the more interesting Ptarmigan and liked the look of Ben Arthur (Cobblers to you :P ) but I read a couple of articles that suggested it's a wee bit tricky up top. Is that true? Also it seems to have three peaks. Is there a main one or do you have to do all three to have done it properly?

Edit - I know it's not a Munro but that's not important to me.

The Cobbler summit is alright. I didn't make it to the true summit the first time I walked up there because the weather was too horrendous.

Theres plenty of good hillwalking outwith the Munros. Lots of folk won't bother with a hill unless it's over 3000ft. Their loss.

Getting to the Cobbler's true summit is a little tricky as it involves a bit of scrambling and exposure (wayhey). I did it not too long ago so if you browse through the last couple of pages of this thread you'll find my experience hidden away somewhere. My friend came up with me but despite being the more experienced of us she chose not to attempt the proper summit.

Cheers. I'll have a look. I didn't fancy reading through the whole 20 pages just in case there was a mention.

Anybody been up Ben Chonzie before? Me and a mate are heading there tomorrow for a wee trek. We've climbed all the Munros up round my way (Glen Doll and Glen Clova) so we're looking slightly further afield. Just looking for a wee bit of general advice from people on here to see if it's possible to combine it with another couple of munros.

We did that in the winter in our trainers! Went to Crieff and up to the loch and just started walking (Forrest Gump style I suppose!). Cracking walk around the loch and some massive hares and plenty of deer there from what I remember. Piece of piss :D

We did that in the winter in our trainers! Went to Crieff and up to the loch and just started walking (Forrest Gump style I suppose!). Cracking walk around the loch and some massive hares and plenty of deer there from what I remember. Piece of piss :D

Superb! :lol:

There's something quite nice about coming off a hill you've slogged your way up for hours on end to pass a couple of guys in white trainers old firm tops and a cairy oot heading off in the general direction of where you just came from. Sticking two fingers up at walking snobs everywhere. :P

Superb! :lol:

There's something quite nice about coming off a hill you've slogged your way up for hours on end to pass a couple of guys in white trainers old firm tops and a cairy oot heading off in the general direction of where you just came from. Sticking two fingers up at walking snobs everywhere. :P

:thumsup2 (minus the old firm tops of course)

Once saw a couple (from Down South, goes without saying) wander into the Nevisport shop in Fort William with walking poles both wearing (yes, wearing) a pair of crampons. Still laugh about it to this day!

Needless to say we were only there for the bar up the stair :D

Theres plenty of good hillwalking outwith the Munros. Lots of folk won't bother with a hill unless it's over 3000ft. Their loss.

Totally agree - I had a running arguement a while with a bloke on the munromagic.com forum. He basically looked down his nose with anything that wasn't a Munro, claiming that Munros were more of a challenge.

I almost choked at this notion and suggested that he try some steep pathless Corbetts, such as Meall an Fhudair, Stob a' Choin or Beinn a' Choin, then compare them with the Lawers Munros, which all but have an escalator going up them.

Corbetts and Grahams are criminally overlooked by some folk.

Totally agree - I had a running arguement a while with a bloke on the munromagic.com forum. He basically looked down his nose with anything that wasn't a Munro, claiming that Munros were more of a challenge.

I almost choked at this notion and suggested that he try some steep pathless Corbetts, such as Meall an Fhudair, Stob a' Choin or Beinn a' Choin, then compare them with the Lawers Munros, which all but have an escalator going up them.

Agreed, I was up Beinn an Lochain a few weeks ago, and it was a wee tad hairy. Views were stunning, all in all a cracking day. Who cares if it's 300ft or 3000ft? Not me.

Absolutely. The mountains of Assynt are the classic example where the only Munroe (Ben More Assynt) is the most boring of the lot IMO.

Up the monster that is Bennachie at the weekend... bring it on :D

Absolutely! :D

Ben Venue is still one of the most enjoyable walks I've done so far but I also have a serious soft spot for the wonderful Ochil hills in the summer when they are gentle and green.

Sorry if this isn't 100% on topic, but could anyone recommend good clothing brands for moderate hillwalking? I'm going abroad this summer and will be doing some moderate climbing etc., so will needs clothes, a jacket and that sort of carry on.

Spent a couple of nights camping up in Blair Atholl.

First day, I climbed up Beinn Dearg via Meall Dubh nan Dearcag. An easy walk in up a landrover trail which gradually rises from 150m to ~500m, then a zig-zag up a plateau before navigating a boulder field. Some cracking views, but unfortunately the cloud cover was quite low.

From Beinn Dearg, I completed the loop via Elrig 'ic an Toisich, Carn a Chiaraidh, Beinn Mheadhonach and back to Blair via Glen Tilt. Some pretty heavy going through the heather as there's not much in the way of trails beyond Beinn Dearg, but I did see my first ever Mountain Hares up Carn a Chiaraidh, which were changing into their summer colours (as were the Ptarmigans). I should've done Beinn Gharbh for another munro, but I didn't want to scramble across a boulder field on my own in the wrong direction.

Total peace and quiet all day and only bumped into another person when I reached the bridge south of Beinn Mheadhonach (6hrs after setting off).

Sadly, the 20 mile round trip took its toll on my feet which curtailed any walking on day two (I'd been intending to do Carn Liath and Beinn A'Ghlo), so I spent the day wandering around Blair Castle and watching Red Squirrels in the small patches of Caledonian pine forest.

Both nights were topped off with a nice meal in the Atholl Arms, washed down with a few pints of Braveheart Ale (brewed nearby in Moulin) and a few nips of Highland Park. Magic. (Plus the amusing sidenote of an English lassie extolling her vegetarianism in the bar after finishing off Haggis and Neeps :lol: )

Probably my favourite photo of the trip - Beinn Dearg from Carn a Chiaraidh.

post-1954-1240008186_thumb.jpg

Do that one either from the farm(I can't remember the name of) or from the south side(no path) but you get the best view of it's brilliant big corrie from there and you get brilliant views across the other hills on the way up. The path from the Loch Sloy side is rubbish and the views are rubbish that side too. All the action is from the other side.

It was one of my favourite hills.

Damn you Reynard I hold you fully responside for the pads I grew on the soles of my feet yesterday.

Quite a bit of work going up that route and plenty of "are we nealy there?" "yes....oh wait...um no we're not" moments. It took me and my friend 5.5 hours to get to the top and there were a couple of guys doing it the same way. We walked back down the Loch Sloy route and I got a lift from my friends partner back along to my own car. Took 3.5 hours coming back down so the whole day was 9 hours, sam time it took me to do Ben Nevis last year. :lol:

Also on the way back down my feet were hurting and as it was grassy I decided some butt sliding was in order. went over a broken branch before I could stop myself and tore a great big hole in my trousers. Anyone coming back off the hill behind us saw my pants until it occured to me I should tie my fleece round my waist.. :(

Damn you Reynard I hold you fully responside for the pads I grew on the soles of my feet yesterday.

Quite a bit of work going up that route and plenty of "are we nealy there?" "yes....oh wait...um no we're not" moments. It took me and my friend 5.5 hours to get to the top and there were a couple of guys doing it the same way. We walked back down the Loch Sloy route and I got a lift from my friends partner back along to my own car. Took 3.5 hours coming back down so the whole day was 9 hours, sam time it took me to do Ben Nevis last year. :lol:

Also on the way back down my feet were hurting and as it was grassy I decided some butt sliding was in order. went over a broken branch before I could stop myself and tore a great big hole in my trousers. Anyone coming back off the hill behind us saw my pants until it occured to me I should tie my fleece round my waist.. :(

You'd see what I mean about the view though, especially on a day like yesterday. If you had just waked up and back down the Loch Sloy way it would be a bit dull.

At least you wear pants. You're a credit to your parents. :P

You'd see what I mean about the view though, especially on a day like yesterday. If you had just waked up and back down the Loch Sloy way it would be a bit dull.

At least you wear pants. You're a credit to your parents. :P

Yes I can see why going up the Loch Sloy way would be a bit gash. Doesn't look like you'd have much indication of where you were or how far you had to go. We were judging our place by looking at Ben Vane.

Made a mental note to myself to wear better trousers next time or at the very least wear pants that are the same colour as my trousers.

Got some good photos at the top and on the way up (even got a few on the way back down).

I do really have great big pads of hard skin on my feet though. :lol:

We have had p&b pissups and 5's tournaments, so I was wondering if anyone wanted to have a p&b hillwalking day out which may or may not become a semi regular thing?

Steven, Mousey, Gaz, Socks, AyrshireTON - Anyone?

Aye, if we could get a day that suited that might be a decent idea. Maybe an issue with fitness though if some folk are much quicker than others?

With the Pars being at Dingwall at the weekend, and a great weather forecast, I decided to head up and camp for the weekend with some walking. Turned out well - a quick wander up one of the Corbetts at Drumochter on the way up on Saturday under beautiful blue skies was much more enjoyable than I expected - not the most exciting hill on its own perhaps, but some nice views, especially to Ben Alder to the West. First time I've really enjoyed a day I've had up the hills in that area.

On Sunday I headed up the Ullapool road past Ben Wyvis, and climbed Beinn Dearg and Cona Meall. It was a great day for being out (wish I had my shorts with me) but the approach was fairly boring, climbing diagonally up through thick heather to a low col. It seemed to take ages to get to there, and I couldn't believe the map was saying I'd only climbed 200m! From there on it was fine though, with a really enjoyable easy scramble up a steep ridge with good holds, then still following the ridge as it evened off going up to the summit of Cona Meall. Wee bit of a plod continuing up to Beinn Dearg, but made interesting by the odd patch of snow still sitting there, and it didn't take too long to get up it. Quite an enjoyable route back, going over a small top on the same ridge then down into the valley below. It's a day that isn't up there in teh top 10 hill walks I've ever had, but overall it was still an enjoyable day. Very quiet for a Sunday, and always nice to climb something in an area that I don't get the chance to go to very often. That's the first climb this year for me that's been a long day out - my legs are totally knackered today, but much of that is because of all the heather bashing at the start and end of it. There's better hills up that way, but if you like something that's quite rough where you don't have a path to rely on, it wouldn't be a bad choice.

Aye, if we could get a day that suited that might be a decent idea. Maybe an issue with fitness though if some folk are much quicker than others?

Apart from the weekend of the 20th (p&b 5's) I'm free all June if anyone wants to confirm their availablity for a walk some time.

I'm a relatively fast walker but would be more than happy to go at a slower pace.