Hillwalking Thread

I was busy looking at maps for hours last night trying to plan something like that myself for this year. This time though, instead of driving round and usuing campsites, I want to have a go at taking the camping stuff with me and having a few nights camping in among the hills. A couple that look possible are a circuit around the hills of the Knoydart peninsula, probably from Kinloch Hourne, and an over the hills route from Beauly to Kyle of Lochalsh, climbing the hills on the North side of Glen Afric on the way. Anyone got any other decent cross-country routes that they've done, with transport to/from both ends of it? Corrour station to Dalwhinnie over Ben Alder might be another possibility.

I'm looking forward to getting out again in the spring. It always gets to this time of year and I want to go out, but I can never really be bothered doing anything high in teh winter because of the time needed to get there, meaning leaving before it's light. Come March though, and I'll be getting back to it.

I did a route from Blair Atholl to Kingnussie which involved a one night stop at the head of Glen Bruar after climbing Beinn Dearg I think it was. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the pass we crossed. Awesome walk! We were wading through thigh deep snow on the second day which delayed us by about 6 hours! Met the mountain rescue advance party out looking for us just as we got into Kingnussie! Our driver had got a little worried.

Nothing better than a wild camp :D

Was really sad to read about the deaths on Buachaille Etive Mor yesterday. I had a great day's walking there last May. Just goes to show how dangerous the mountains can be. Seems that a cornice collapsed and they were buried in the snow.

Very sobering. Mountains and the conditions surrounding them need the upmost respect. I have seen some small avalanches whilst out on the hills but have always had the good fortune never to have been caught by one. I believe these guys were experienced so they knew the risks. Climbing is like that.

• 2 weeks later...

First one of the year for me yesterday, a wee wander up Beinn Stacath beside Balquiddher. What a belter of a day it turned out to be. I don't usually take poles with me and so with quite hard snow/ice near the top I was having to kick my feet in quite hard with every step and I was peching by the top! The way down was the best bit though - we were going to head along a differnt ridge to the one that we'd come up, but after getting to the head of the corrie, I suggested we try some arsesliding down into the corrie. First time I've ever done that up the hills, and it was absolutely brilliant fun! One bit was maybe a wee bit steep for it, but there was a patch of deep snow at the bottom of it so I didn't think it would be a problem to stop, and so it proved. Arms and bum a bit sore today from all the bobbling about, but that was one of the most fun days I've ever had up the hills.

I did a route from Blair Atholl to Kingnussie which involved a one night stop at the head of Glen Bruar after climbing Beinn Dearg I think it was. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the pass we crossed. Awesome walk! We were wading through thigh deep snow on the second day which delayed us by about 6 hours! Met the mountain rescue advance party out looking for us just as we got into Kingnussie! Our driver had got a little worried.

Nothing better than a wild camp :D

Minigaig pass maybe? Aye, that's another decent area for an overnighter, with most of the distances to the hills being quite long.

• 2 weeks later...
Went hillwalking for the first time on saturday in Glen Doll and bagged my first 2 Munros. Went up Driesh first then went on to Mayer. Absolutely superb stuff. Beautiful blue skies made the views sensational.

I did my DoE Gold hike in Glen Doll, and I think we went up Mayer in the practice expedition. LTP on here may or may not be able to confirm this, but Mayer sounds about right. When we were up it it was pishing with rain and blowing a gale, and couldn't really see much.

Need a wee bit of advice from you chaps.

A mate of mine wants to climb Ben Nevis in April or May, and she's roped me and another mate into it. Problem is, we're pretty unfit and more or less completely inexperienced. To get us started, we did Dun-na-Cuaiche in Inveraray last week, which took us about an hour - I don't know if that gives you any indication of our level.

So basically we're looking for some suggestions of hills to climb between now and April in order to build towards doing Nevis. Ideally within a couple of hours drive of Glasgow.

Here's pics from the top and bottom of Dun-na-Cuaiche.

3281072335_19124e4bee.jpg

3281067019_25db2e1ee0.jpg

We have had p&b pissups and 5's tournaments, so I was wondering if anyone wanted to have a p&b hillwalking day out which may or may not become a semi regular thing?

Steven, Mousey, Gaz, Socks, AyrshireTON - Anyone?

I'd probably be up for something like this.

Count me in though I'm seriously out of practice. I assume it'd have to be somewhere fairly central or we'd need to arrange car sharing? I have a car and would be willing to offer lifts to anyone in the stirlingshire area.

el Gringo I assume you're in the central belt? If so Ben Vorlich over Loch Earn is a fairly easy Munro along with Ben Chonzie. Near Loch Lomond you also have Ben Lomond (piss easy), Ben Narnain and Ben Ime whichj are all fairly straight forward. Ben Vane is a bit more difficult (in my opinion) and it's steeper. I did Ben Nevis along the tourist path and it's a bit of a slog but it's doable even for someone that's not the fittest (I'm certainly not fit). As long as you leave yourself plenty of time you'll have no difficulty in completing it.

Edited by Middleton Mouse

So basically we're looking for some suggestions of hills to climb between now and April in order to build towards doing Nevis. Ideally within a couple of hours drive of Glasgow.

Have just taken up hillwalking but haven't tackled any Munros yet (Hopefully that will change very soon!). Been building up gradually and a couple of good smaller hills I have done so far are Conic Hill at Loch Lomond and also Ben A'an up near Loch Katrine. Both give you a few hundred metres ascent and Ben A'an in particular has a few steeper sections to tackle. Plus the views from Ben A'an are fantastic. :)

Have noted the recommendations for easier Munros, hoping to bag my first one within the next month. :D

On Sunday I walked up Windy Standard in Galloway (a Graham).

Myself and 3 friends (plus a dog) started in Glen Afton and handrailed the fences over a few tops to the turbine covered summit. Walked back through the forest to the car park at Afton water. Good view of the Corbett "Cairnsmore of Carsphairn" and I think I could almost see Corserine.

My first outing since November - that's the legs working again. Soon as the snow clears off the Southern Highlands I'll be out adding to my Munros and Corbetts. ;)

We have had p&b pissups and 5's tournaments, so I was wondering if anyone wanted to have a p&b hillwalking day out which may or may not become a semi regular thing?

Steven, Mousey, Gaz, Socks, AyrshireTON - Anyone?

The chances of me being free are a little slim, but I'd be up for it (depending on the choice of hill).

Have just taken up hillwalking but haven't tackled any Munros yet (Hopefully that will change very soon!).

Well I only had to wait a week and I've now bagged my first Munro! :D

Decided to avoid a trip to Parkhead today (good call ;) ) and headed up Ben Lomond instead. Easy enough hill with a decent path and managed to get up and down in a shade over 3 hours. Couldn't see a thing above 600m but the rain pretty much stayed away for our climb and there was next to no wind at the summit so can't complain too much. Already looking forward to the next one, though not sure what to do next. :unsure:

Well I only had to wait a week and I've now bagged my first Munro! :D

Decided to avoid a trip to Parkhead today (good call ;) ) and headed up Ben Lomond instead. Easy enough hill with a decent path and managed to get up and down in a shade over 3 hours. Couldn't see a thing above 600m but the rain pretty much stayed away for our climb and there was next to no wind at the summit so can't complain too much. Already looking forward to the next one, though not sure what to do next. :unsure:

Up and down again in 3 hours? Do you do some other form of walking excersise aside from the hill walking? That's a very good time for a first munro. :o

This one was my first as well but it took me and my friend around 6 hours to do it though we mucked about a fair bit.

Up and down again in 3 hours? Do you do some other form of walking excersise aside from the hill walking? That's a very good time for a first munro. :o

This one was my first as well but it took me and my friend around 6 hours to do it though we mucked about a fair bit.

Nope, my fitness isn't too bad but my mate is a bit of a fitness freak and I just followed his lead! My legs did feel like lead by the time we got to the summit though. Took about 1 h 45m on the way up and just under 1 h 20m on the way back down. We did notice nobody passed us on the way up and quite a few of the folk we did pass (it was quite busy despite the weather not being great) we passed on the way back down with them still having a reasonable bit to go. Think it would have taken us longer if we had had views from/near the summit to enjoy. :)

Although we hadn't done any Munros we have done a few smaller hills as practice and something like Ben A'an although half the height was a lot steeper ascent IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Took advantage of the glorious weather today so headed up Arrochar way and did The Cobbler and Ben Nairnain. Wasn't too much wind so managed to get through the eye and up onto the centre peak. :D Then headed over and did the north peak. After that we went down to Bealach a Mhaim and then up Ben Nairnain too. Excellent views from the summit though unfortunately it was a little hazy. Headed back to the car via the side of the spearhead which was provided a few interesting moments as it's very steep, in particular one part where the deep snow hadn't quite melted yet, ended up on our arses a couple of times! Six and a half hours all in. Absolutely knackered but worth it for an amazing day.

Ben Ime next sunday. That will be the first time I have been out walking for ages. Looking forward to it.

Anyone done that one? Is it best to walk up past The Cobbler or start from the road heading towards the rest and be thankful?

I did Ben Ime from the Cobbler path and it was pretty easy going that way, haven't tried the other path but my friend has and she reckons it's steeper but more direct.

I'm thinking of heading up to Crianarich or Tyndrum next week to do something. Thinking of doing An Caisteal and Ben A'Chroin. Anyone been up these two before and how long did it take?

I did Ben Ime from the Cobbler path and it was pretty easy going that way, haven't tried the other path but my friend has and she reckons it's steeper but more direct.

I'm thinking of heading up to Crianarich or Tyndrum next week to do something. Thinking of doing An Caisteal and Ben A'Chroin. Anyone been up these two before and how long did it take?

I wanted to avoid going up The Cobbler pathway as it's always really busy. I quite fancy trying it from the other side as it does look like a bit less time wise which means we might have a go at one of the other hills while we are up there. Or more time for a drink in The Drovers. :P

I wanted to have a go at Ben Vane but was outvoted. We have a newbie coming with us and Ben Vane is ridiculously steep, especially the way we are going to do it.