Hillwalking Thread

Let me know how it goes - apparently some of the forest at the start has been felled.

I read that on the Scottish hills site. Anyone got any useful ino for this climb, everyone told me Goatfell was easy and I was c*nted after that, expecting worse from this one.

Just back from a couple of days camping (oooo!) in Glen Coe with my mates. Walking yesterday up along Buachaille Etive Beag, taking in Stob Dubh and Stob Coire Raineach. Pity we didn't get the weather, it was absolutely peeing it down pretty much non-stop from Saturday evening to this afternoon.

Still, a brilliant trip and the Clachaig is an amazing wee pub :D

Guest AnnieslandTon
I read that on the Scottish hills site. Anyone got any useful ino for this climb, everyone told me Goatfell was easy and I was c*nted after that, expecting worse from this one.

As far as Munros go, it's the easiest one I've done. I climbed it last Thursday, was a cracking day for it. Its quite long but as long as you have a reasonable level of fitness it's quite easy. I went up with 3 friends who hadn't been hillwalking before, and they loved it. The were all wearing trainers rather than hiking boots, I think its probably the only Munro you could get away with that.

Regarding the tree-felling, its a bit of an eye sore. I was speaking to a guy near the bottom who's climbed Ben Lomond 10 times, he says it's ruined the most interesting part of the hill and he says he won't be doing it again. Mind you, I don't suppose I would either had I climbed it that many times...

Today I climbed Meall Glas, not far along the road from Ben More.

A very uninspiring day out, with all of the "plateau" bits shown on the map really being full of hillocks, lochans, swamps and rocks. A false summit or two also. "Knackering" best describes it.

Wanted to go over to a couple of the neighbouring tops, but could see that the crap weather was closing in and headed back after my lunch. Made do with pics of them instead. ;)

On getting back to Auchessan, to the B&B which you have to go round to get to the path, I was faced with 3 bulls eating the grass. Thankfully they didn't care about me at all.

The same could not be said about the big black f''kin dog that was down the road at the the farm-house. :angry: It clearly did not want me to get back to the main road, and in the end I had to retreat to the B&B and into a field with a handful of sheep, and take a longer way round to a point beyond the dog (which thankfully, was not into jumping fences). I shortly realised that the black sheep in the middle of the flock was actually another dog. :o

The same route is required for Sgiath Chuil - how long do dogs live for, and is it legal to stab with walking poles if they attack you first? :ph34r:

Climbed Beinn Chabhair today - much better than that dreary one on Wednesday.

Steep at first, long and boggy in the middle, then a path that seemed to take you away from the summit a lot - but all worth it. Took absolutely ages, but the long slog back down made all the more worthwhile by that drink in the Drovers Inn.

That'll be me for a while now - got the DofE at the school to help with soon, and then going to Aviemore for training in outdoor stuff.

Maybe back on the hills in October. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Walked (crawled) Ben Vorlich the Loch Lomond one yesterday. Bloody hell that was tough!!

We walked up to the dam then went straight up from there scrambling the whole way till it plateaued a bit. The visibility was virtually nil and we did the whole bloody thing using compass and map and my mate had one of those satellite tracking things otherwise theres no way we would have attempted it.It was pissing with rain and it was utterly horrible. My lungs were on fire after about five minutes, we stopped about every few steps on the climb up as we were wrecked :lol: . Still, we managed it and the views would probably have been quite nice if it hadn`t been in the clouds the whole way up :rolleyes:

Got a phone call this morning from my mate would was having the pish ripped out him by one of his colleagues who had "recommended" that particular route up. It was a pretty serious days walking and I didn`t exactly enjoy it but I feel quite good about not,giving up now. And typically the weather lifted as soon as we got off the hill. Still, it beat having to endure an afternoon of shit football at Tannadice :lol:

Will go across and do Ben Vane next time hopefully on a clear day, the length of the valley separates the hills.

Edited by Reynard

Guest Raithsaltire

Anyone else did Schiehallion? Did it a few weeks ago, and my wife as well as my 9 and 7 year old. Great views, but a bloody long climb. The views along Loch Rannoch and Loch Tummel, as well as over the other side to Glen Lyon are breathtaking. Watch out going up it though, as there are a few 'false summits', which when you reach them you realise youve got quite a bit to go.......A good day out and as I say, breathtaking views. Very windy at the summit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was up and down The Cobbler (Ben Arthur) with a mate yesterday for a nice wee jaunt. Started out at 9 and was back at the car by 1. It was very misty so could see bugger all, but it wasn't wet and was surprisingly still at the top. Would have been nice to have had a clear day, but I suppose that you can't expect too much with it now being October. Anyone been through the eye of the needle to the true summit? Our nerve failed us as visibility was poor and the rocks were pretty slippy.

post-11649-1191759984_thumb.jpg

I went out today with my wife and my 8 year old boy.I woke up at 7am,looked out of the window and decided the weather looked good enough so we were off.

We went up Glen Affric and parked at Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin before heading up Gleann nam Fiadh.Our target was Tom a Choinich (3645ft).The tops were in cloud but I felt it would lift and sure enough as we finally got to the summit it was clear.

I had been up this one before 12 years ago,it was a cold misty day in June but despite it being October it was a pleasant day.

I was delighted for my boy as it was his first Munro.It was a walk not too far short of 9 miles and a big hill to get under his belt and I am really proud of him for achieving it.

Gleann nam Fiadh is not often used as a route up the hills further along,but it really is spectacular as you are hemmed in on both sides by steep sided slopes leading upto some wonderful ridges.I have been up both sides and it is hard work but wonderful to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Climbed Ben Ledi today - a fairly routine hill livened up by two things.

Firstly, the driving wind and rain on the ascent (totally clear on the way down - as usual) and the Brocken Spectre I managed to photograph from the summit (pic below).

post-448-1192551121_thumb.jpg

Edited by AyrshireTon

I have done a fair bit of Hillwalking in the past mostly for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, Ive done a lot of the ones mentioned above (Ben Ledi, Ben Vane, Ben Verachie etc.)

As much as it was enjoyable at the time I dont think its a thing I will go back to until maybe when I am retired and have nothing better to do!

Went out again today,albeit to a munro I did 12 years ago.I had to take out a lady who is almost 70,my wife and 2 eldest boys.I opted for Carn na Caim just east of Dalwhinnie.

An easy walk out following the track up hill then a relatively gentle ascent over the plateau to the summit.A round trip of 7 miles took 6 hours though!.

Loads of wildlife about.Ptarmigans and mountain hares getting ready for winter with the changing plumage and fur,red grouse,ravens,fieldfares,buzzards.I saw a large stag bellowing away and also a tiny field vole.Makes the trip more interesting with things to look at.

The views were very good from the summit.To the north west a lot of snow was on the high ground but nearer to me just Creag Meaghaidh had a dusting on the top.

It was very cold on the top.

A good walk for someone wanting to get to do a munro,but do it in good visibility as its not a place to get lost in the mist as it is a vast featureless plateau on top.

Despite it being a great day I only saw 2 other people.

Excellent thread this.

First Munro I did was Carn na Caim, the one Silver's just done. Very similar sounding day when I went up actually, wildlife and no people.

I've been out for ages with a foot injury, can't really stand it much longer. :angry:

At least I now know who to annoy with all the details when I do get back out B)

Did another two today - Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain.

I had heard that climing from the Crianlarich side (Ardrian first) was an awful route, so we started at Inverlochlarig (which is really out in the sticks).

The ascent of Beinn Tulaichean was a total slog, and only when we passed the line of crags and things got less steep did we start to enjoy it - especially when we found a path which I knew would lead to the summit and beyond it to Cruach Ardrain. Have to say, the drop into the col and up Ardrian was great in comparison to the previous 3 hours.

We returned to the cars by heading back to the col and down to the Inverlochlarig burn, following it back to the farm.

A couple that I'm glad to have ticked off - hard to see me going back to either of them.

Ended my week off today with a climb up Ben Chonzie (or Ben-y-Hone) with my wife's friend. Went from the Loch Turret car park and could see hee-haw the whole time. Rained on the descent.

Don't think this one deserves its title of "most boring Munro" - I thought it was ok and it would have been livened up with some sort of views.

Dunno when I'll get back out next - maybe some dry weekend in November or something.