Hillwalking Thread

I'm now doing ben Lomond on Wed, will prob fire up Dumyat one morning if I get a bit bored as well.

I've done Dumyat twice in the past month now, really nice climb! If you start off at the car park at the cemetry and take the path to the summit, go down the opposite face and there is a path that takes you all the way round, back to the cemetry.

Really nice walk, and not too long. We set off at 11am both times and were in the pub at Bridge of Allan for about 4-5pm.

Hmm, that's a bit longer that I expected it to take. Was hoping to bang up and down in 3-4 hours.

In saying that, the group that I walk with take plenty of breaks and we did stop for 20 minutes just below the summit for something to eat.

If you just banged on with it, I reckon you could do it in around 4 hours. If you do it, turn left when you get to the end of the path and head onto the tarmac, it is only for about a mile then it leads you to the cemetry again.

We are planning to do that a week on Saturday coming. Really looking forward to it, apperently there is meant to be a scree slope near the summit?

The scree slope is leading up to the col between the two (height - 744m). REALLY slippy on the way back down.

Dorain - once the path levels out for the 2nd time (the 1st time has a lochan), head left and get on the rocks (to find another path). If you stay on the path instead, you will take the route round the hill and up the back. The path on the rocks is easier, but the first cairn is not the summit, so keep going. The harder route is slightly scrambly, but you get to the summit cairn first and not the false one.

I took the hard path up, and the easy one back down.

an Dothaidh - the obvious path disintegrates higher up and becomes very muddy. Once things level out you will see a big grassy/muddy expanse and a col ahead of you between two higher points. The left is the West top, the right is the South one. Further back from the col is the actual summit. Best bet is to head right and go to the south top, which has a path to the summit (5 minutes apart).

Hope this helps. ;)

Adam, where exactly do you start the Dumyat walk from?

I am about to purchase a book detailing walk in the Ochils and Campsies. I think I have found a new hobby!

Do you know where the Morrisons is? When you come out of there, drive towards it, then you will come to a roundabout. Turn RIGHT here and take the first or second left, I can't remember which, but it will take you to a Cemetary and there is a car park next to it.

Yeah, I love hill walking. My dad used to drag me up the hills with him when I was younger, but now I am at an age where I can appreciate it.

I think I know where you mean roughly. I'm sure I'll be able to find it.

It's easy to find. There will most likely be a few people doing it anyway. It goes from being very flat to quite the incline pretty quickly. I was shocked actually, there was pretty much no steady incline.

Me and the old man went up Dumyat before an Alloa game a year or two ago, you can start in Menstrie from where there is a really steep ascent up through a gorge which cuts a load of time off the the walk. The path takes you right up onto the path to the summit. Only took us 2 hours max all round. There is some great walking in the Ochills.

Did Meall an Fhudair today with a woman from work.

Started at Glen Falloch and picked our way up VERY steeply to Troisgeach. We walked half-way to the summit and she waited while I charged over to the final climb to the summit. Came back and met her and we chose not to return by the hellish ascent route, and instead headed NW down the least steepest part. Finally found the path which lead to the road round to the descent road.

The SMC Corbetts book describes the bit between Troisgeach and Fhudair as "a perfectly easy walk" - this is utter bollox. It's anything but a plateau - loads of crappy ups and downs and the final ascent is a real slog (I'm glad my companion opted not to do it).

Glad to have done it, though (pic of summit below).

post-448-1183581390_thumb.jpg

Dorain - once the path levels out for the 2nd time (the 1st time has a lochan), head left and get on the rocks (to find another path). If you stay on the path instead, you will take the route round the hill and up the back. The path on the rocks is easier, but the first cairn is not the summit, so keep going. The harder route is slightly scrambly, but you get to the summit cairn first and not the false one.

I took the hard path up, and the easy one back down.

Aye, we folowed the path round the side as well instead of firing straight up the rocks onto the ridge, and my advice would be to take the rocks as well. The day we did it was very late in October and there was quite a bit of snow near the tops, and the scrambly route round the side and up wasn't that great.

I've been out a fewtimes in the last few weeks, and had some good ones. Ben Vane was really interesting although bloody steep, and we had a coupleof days camping and walking this week. Climbed Beinn Bhan (corbett) near Spean Bridge on Monday as a warm up for the main day - it was much harder than we expected, mainly due to the really heavy ground which really takes a lot of energy to tramp through. We didn't get the best of views, butsome nice stuff to see on the way down once we got out of the cloud, looking down to the Great Glen.

On Tuesday we went up The Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine on the South side of Glen Shiel - I'd really reccommend that one, but only if you're cofortable with a bit of scrambling. The Forcan ridge up The Saddle has a couple of quite tricky bits, particularly if the rock is wet as it was that day. In saying that though, it's an interesting climb, and well worthwhile. The cloud lifted for us just as we got near the first summit, which was nice. A few photos of that below.

TopofSgurrnaSigne3.jpg

TopofSgurrnaSigne1.jpg

MeattopofSgurrnaSigne.jpg

Yes, I know I look half stoned in the last one!

Aye, we folowed the path round the side as well instead of firing straight up the rocks onto the ridge, and my advice would be to take the rocks as well. The day we did it was very late in October and there was quite a bit of snow near the tops, and the scrambly route round the side and up wasn't that great.

I've been out a fewtimes in the last few weeks, and had some good ones. Ben Vane was really interesting although bloody steep, and we had a coupleof days camping and walking this week. Climbed Beinn Bhan (corbett) near Spean Bridge on Monday as a warm up for the main day - it was much harder than we expected, mainly due to the really heavy ground which really takes a lot of energy to tramp through. We didn't get the best of views, butsome nice stuff to see on the way down once we got out of the cloud, looking down to the Great Glen.

On Tuesday we went up The Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine on the South side of Glen Shiel - I'd really reccommend that one, but only if you're cofortable with a bit of scrambling. The Forcan ridge up The Saddle has a couple of quite tricky bits, particularly if the rock is wet as it was that day. In saying that though, it's an interesting climb, and well worthwhile. The cloud lifted for us just as we got near the first summit, which was nice. A few photos of that below.

TopofSgurrnaSigne3.jpg

TopofSgurrnaSigne1.jpg

MeattopofSgurrnaSigne.jpg

Yes, I know I look half stoned in the last one!

You look like sam dingle in that pic.

Myself and a few friends went for a nice walk up in Glen Coe yesterday, through the gap between the Three Sisters and through to the Lost Valley. Absolutely beautiful scenery, I'll post some pictures up later.

Since I actually forgot to put any pics up, here's one:

2963026906a4650754647l.jpg

Planning to do Schiehallion on Sunday - watch this space......

(anyone done it before?)

Aye, I've done it a couple of times. You'll find it no problem at all compared to some of the others that you've mentioned that you've done before. Decent path all the way, it's only the summit ridge that's anything to think about - covered in quartz and can be quite sore on the feet. Last time I was up there there was work being done on a new path - it should follow the ridge pretty much all the way now which should mean the view is better I expect.

Aye, I've done it a couple of times. You'll find it no problem at all compared to some of the others that you've mentioned that you've done before. Decent path all the way, it's only the summit ridge that's anything to think about - covered in quartz and can be quite sore on the feet. Last time I was up there there was work being done on a new path - it should follow the ridge pretty much all the way now which should mean the view is better I expect.

Cheers - I had read on the web that there was a new path, although I will not really notice, not having been before (much like with the Cobbler).

Think I'll take the walking poles tomorrow..... ;)

Walked up The Cobbler today. The weather was fucking terrible once we got up past the weir thingy. Windy and wet. I was soaked to the fucking skin :lol:

We were "advised" to go up the hill via that burn thing which is basically a scramble rather than a walk. Felt like chuking it and fucking off back to the car but I`m glad I just got on with it. Was a much harder walk than I was expecting to be honest. Had a look through the eye of the needle thing but it was way too windy to have a go at the summit.

Came back down the other way which was altogether more civilised. Some nutter had even made steps. If I had known that way was so easy I certainly wouldnt have gone up the way I did....

Once we got back off the hill the weather totally cleared up. Sun was out, quite warm....

Didn't make Schiehallion today, for the simple reason that Mrs AT's waters broke in the early hours and we rushed to Crosshouse Maternity unit.

I have a daughter now, which means we can stop there at one of each. :)

Will be a few weeks before I can consider any more hillwalking. :P

Didn't make Schiehallion today, for the simple reason that Mrs AT's waters broke in the early hours and we rushed to Crosshouse Maternity unit.

:lol: Congratulations! :D

Congratulations AyrshireTon, there's two nippers who will be getting dragged up hills in the the years to come ;)