Hillwalking Thread

I should really have checked the distance for Benvane rather than the height of the hill. We started out on the route via the Stank glen and it was rather misty. After walking for three hours we saw the summit and it was about a further hour and halfs walk away and as we stupidly left it until 1pm to set out we decided it'd be better just to call it a day instead of trying to rush up and back given how boggy the ground was. Was an enjoyable (but wet) walk but the hill is a bit creepy as it's rather quiet. We'll go back soon, had a look at a website that I'd missed previously (the mountain was spelt wrong) and it says the route we tried to take was 11 miles - no wonder it took us ages! :lol:

Managed the lower slopes of the Tak Ma Doon Road tonight, right up to the golf course. At this rate I'll be able to launch a full scale assault on Carron Bridge sometime in 2009. :thumsup2:rolleyes:

I think it just shows, getting the miles in along the canal banks just gives you sore feet and doesn't help your legs much at all.

Anyway, looking for some advice. What is the best midgie repelant on the go these days? I was getting fucking eaten alive out there tonight. <_<

Used to use Autan all the time, swore by it, but that was many many years ago. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Managed the lower slopes of the Tak Ma Doon Road tonight, right up to the golf course. At this rate I'll be able to launch a full scale assault on Carron Bridge sometime in 2009. :thumsup2:rolleyes:

I think it just shows, getting the miles in along the canal banks just gives you sore feet and doesn't help your legs much at all.

Anyway, looking for some advice. What is the best midgie repelant on the go these days? I was getting fucking eaten alive out there tonight. <_<

Used to use Autan all the time, swore by it, but that was many many years ago. :ph34r:

Avon Skin so soft is the one everyone recommends but I think it's actually a type of moisturiser cream (I'm not exactly up to date with make up and such products).

Ben Vane near Loch Lomond is on the cards for next week. I was hoping to get out last week but developed a painful swelling on my foot which has only just gone down.

At the risk of sounding puerile...

THAT HILL LOOKS LIKE A BOOB!

:lol:

Hillwalking is one of those things that I enjoy when I do and say "I should do this more often", but rarely bother my arse to arrange to do. It doesn't help that people I know who do it arrange it on Saturdays during the football season, where obviously going to the game is a priority. Might try and do some this summer though.

I did Ben Nevis a few years ago and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, it was fantastic. I've done a few other hills as well but I can't remember the names. Will use this thread to plan some more!

• 2 weeks later...

We went up Ben Vane in the Trossachs yesterday and as we didn't get there until 12.30 or so we ended up back at the car at 8.30pm. :lol:

What a horrible soul destroyin wee hill though, it fools you into thinking it's very straight forward but there's at least 4(?) false summits I think before you come to the real top. The last quarter of the way is quite rocky though as soon as you get onto the hill it's quite steep and the steepness is unrelentless.

Anyway we had a slight problem in that about three quarters of the way up we came to a part that was too high for me and my friend's dog to climb up and the dog was too heavy for me to lift to my friend who'd managed it. Took a wee while to find an alternative route up though we did eventually. Coming back down was a nightmare due to the steepness and the fact the path was often loose rocks though we both managed it without falling.

Another friend of mine says he done the whole walk in 4 hours but it took us 7 and a half including breaks (which came often). I found this one really tough going due to the steepness and the fact there was no break from it. We also got totally pelted with hail stones and decided to shelter from that for 20mins on the way up too.

Mind you the views from the top of Vane were some of the best we've seen so far. You can see everything from Ben Lomond, Ben Ledi and the hills neighbours Ben Vorlich and Ben Ime but hten we could also see very clearly in the distance Ben Nevis which still had a bit of snow on it. I'll post photos once I get them all downloaded but I'm off to Skye for a few days now and have my boots etc packed ready to go!

I've recently joined a walking group called The Ramblers. We done an easy walk near Stirling on Sunday and we are doing a Munro next Saturday which is past Fort William. Looking forward to it!

Only just came across this one now. Some decent ones mentioned, I've donoe most of them before. Haven't had much chance to get out hillwalking this year, and only really had one day up a circuit in the Pentlands that took any length of time. I did Ben Ledi and Benvane together last year - it was OK, but nothing all htat interesting really.

If you ever get to the stage where you think you're fit enough, do A' Mhaigdean in Wester Ross. Without doubt the best day I've ever had in the hills - I did it alone, and even with a big it was a ridiculously long tday, taking 11.5 hours (and I'm pretty fit) it was definitely worth it. I've never seen views like those anywhere else. Bauchaille Etive Mor in Glen Coe is another good one, and the day I got up there was tremendous. I try to get a few days away camping and hillwalking every year - didn't manage it last year, but the year before I did it twice, and on the second I went up Ben Hope in Sutherland. It's the most Northerly Munro, and the view out over the Pentland first are quite nice.

Ben Chonzie is quite a good one if you want something that isn't too hard - decent walk, and you should see hundreds of mountain hare up there. Also, the hills up Glen Clova past Kirriemuir are decent, but not too hard. Dreish and Mayar are munros that can be climbed together, and tehre's a few smaller ones as well. I was up a couple of the Corbetts on the North East side of the glen back in December, and it was a good day. Another one I really enjoyed last year was a pair of Corbetts we did from Lochearnhead. Sorry, I can't remember the names of them, but for some reason I just really enjoyed the day out, and still say it was my favourite walk of last year.

Plenty more that are good, I'll think of them later. Got some great photos from various places, will post a few of them tonight.

I climbed Craig Meagaidh on Saturday, but as there was mist at the top, you couldn't see anything worthwile taking a photo of!

I got some photos before the mist decended on us, I'll post them when I have a chance.

I've done quite a few Munros. All the Munros in Glen Coe are pretty good, the ones on the South side are all, fairly easy, up-and-down types and the views are amazing. If anyone wants a real challenge, they should do the Annach Egach (I've spelled it phonetically) ridge on the North Side of Glen Coe. I've probably never been in as much fear for my life as I was at some points on that walk. There are a lot of tricky wee climbs but the sense of acheivement when you get to run down the scree at the end is pretty good.

I tried to do some of the Munros near Drumochter Pass a couple of years ago, the wheather was shit so didn't get them all done but I saw probably the best 'animal sighting' I've had. Me and my dad were on one side of a valley, just below the skyline when we saw a few dears come over the top of the other side. We stood still to watch them and they kept running over until about 150-200 were there, drinking from the wee stream at the bottom. You could see some of the big males keeping a look out and as soon as we moved they all just ran up the side of the valley and over the top just as quick as they'd come down. It was totally amazing, I wish I could have videoed it. :(

Two weeks ago I did Stob Coire Creagach (and its adjoining peak Binnien an Fhidhlier) just beyond the main Arrochar alps.

Today I went to Bridge of Orchy and did the two Munros there - Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh.

Highly recommend both, but if you are only able to do one I'd do Dorain since the path is better(the summit is the 2nd cairn though).

The path up between them is a slog, and a tricky descent.

dont know if this is the right thread but i completed the kilbryde hike down muirkirk way. Started to hit the southern uplands today. Was quite good and il be doing more over the summer

If you mean the Southern upland way, that's over twice the length of the West Highland Way!

If you mean the Galloway Corbetts - they are a fine set of hills.

If you mean the Southern upland way, that's over twice the length of the West Highland Way!

If you mean the Galloway Corbetts - they are a fine set of hills.

i've no idea what they were. all i did was follow my mate for 30 odd miles :lol:

we went to the top of "Cairn hill" :unsure: basically all the hills between Roberton and Muirkirk or at least thats what it feels like

Hiked up to Lake Agnes in the Rockies a few weeks back while it was still frozen and took these....

n511059095_69593_6726.jpg

Lake Louise (start)

n511059095_69595_8319.jpg

The hike - Mounts, Whyte, Niblock, Piran & The Beehives

n511059095_69596_9111.jpg

Ski tracks off Mount Fairview

n511059095_69597_6893.jpg

Mount MacDonald & Lefroy

n511059095_69598_7675.jpg

Lake Agnes & Mnt Whyte

n511059095_69599_8486.jpg

Lake Agnes, The Devils Thumb & Mnt Whyte

Myself and a few friends went for a nice walk up in Glen Coe yesterday, through the gap between the Three Sisters and through to the Lost Valley. Absolutely beautiful scenery, I'll post some pictures up later.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't done much hillwalking recently as well...Caithness is a bit flat.

Used to regularly walk up the Ochils, either The Law-Ben Cleuch-Ben Ever circuit or Dumyat, and the Pentlands - usually from Swanston up Allermuir Hill then a variety of routes down to Glencorse Reservoir.

Also, did a fair bit of walking up in Assynt - climbed the majority of the hills up there (Quinag, Canisp, Suilven, Stac Polly & Ben More Assynt) - as well as a lot of walks along the coast.

When I was in the RNR, I volunteered to do the Caledonian Challenge - 54 miles of West Highland Way non-stop from Glen Nevis to Loch Lomond. As training walks we did:

Corrour Station (as seen in Trainspotting) to Glen Nevis

Sgurr Na Gillean in the Cuillins (the only hill I suffered from vertigo on)

The South Kintail Ridge

The Lairig Ghru from Braemar to Rothiemurchus, returning via Glen Derry

The Pentland Hills from west to east

All pretty knackering, but great fun. We finished the Caley Challenge in under 22 hrs.

A few pics that I have on Bebo:

Stac Pollaidh, 1992(ish)

9034513a3018633666b932426187l.jpg

Sgurr Na Gillean, 2004

9034513a1260047584b904365503l.jpg

9034513a1260038474b929870850l.jpg

9034513a1260038427b816998196l.jpg

South Kintail Ridge, 2004

9034513a1260038236b312734423l.jpg

Pentland Hills from Allermuir Hill, Feb 2005

9034513a1260038625b282558292l.jpg

I'm going to do Ben Lomond on Friday, I presume it's a piece of piss?

Is 6 hours more than enough time to get up an back to Rowerdennan?

Yes - should be ok.

Last bit is quite good - a fair old drop on your left.

I am going to do a small Corbett on Wednesday - Meall an Fhudair, with hopefully enough time to check out the Drovers Inn.

Here's my records so far.

post-448-1183402704_thumb.jpg

post-448-1183402711_thumb.jpg

Today I went to Bridge of Orchy and did the two Munros there - Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh.

Highly recommend both, but if you are only able to do one I'd do Dorain since the path is better(the summit is the 2nd cairn though).

The path up between them is a slog, and a tricky descent.

We are planning to do that a week on Saturday coming. Really looking forward to it, apperently there is meant to be a scree slope near the summit?