Hillwalking Thread

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Aye they're a tough wee group whichever way you do them. My mate only has NG left which is pretty unlucky for him. How did you find the descent off NG by the way? I dunno if i took the wrong line, but i followed a path for about 100m of descent from the summit ridge which vanished leaving several hundred metres of very steep grassy/heathery misery. Definitely one of the worst I've experienced. 

I must have found the right line as it was no bother at all. It was long though and I was delighted to land on the landy track to Mamore Lodge 

10 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Top man, appreciate it! Think we’ll definitely head up this route up 

I'll second what Invergowrie said. Done it a bit later into my munro climbing but still within the first 30 or so, was my first real sustained scrambling route but got on absolutely no bother at all.

I had stayed right on the edge of the ridge all the way up but you won't miss the tracks on the left if you decide it's too much. Done Ben Nevis via the pony track just the week before I done CMD and it's was absolutely shite so would definitely recommend CMD instead.

Also I'll mention while it's obviously not a race I found the walkhighlands estimate to be an absolute mile off, was up and down in just under 6 hours as opposed to the 10-11 it states on their website.

Stumbled across this website yesterday - WalkMunros: All Possible Trips

Splits all the munros into regions and provides rough travel times to the area from a few pre-set locations. Once clicking into the areas you're provided with all walks including Walkhighlands routes and Stevie Fallon's routes if applicable. Can link it to your walkhighlands account also if you're in the habit of ticking off munros on the website as you complete them.

May be of interest to some of you.

Beinn Ime today and I feel broken. It's my first decent hill of this year and I now think I should've started with a Corbett (such as the Cobbler). There were a few times that I almost gave up because I didn't think I could make it but I'm glad I carried on because I didn't actually have much more to go. It was covered in mist which meant I couldn't see the summit and I think that was hampering me. I've included a pic of the Cobbler which was looking magnificent today. 1e8173798d0619dd677f6602ee486bd1.jpg48eb8defd20747710bf10092722335db.jpg

I'm down in the Borders doing some route walking - jumping between the Borders' Abbeys Way and St Cuthbert's Way based on convenience/interest. It's about 25C at the moment and glorious.

By no means a Munro but the Eildon Hills were an enjoyable - short and steep - landmark to clamber over between Melrose and St Boswells yesterday.

IMG_20220622_132731.thumb.jpg.abd3872e26cd6737854a9c7796bd2997.jpg

Heading across to the coast to do St Abbs and Eyemouth tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

I'm down in the Borders doing some route walking - jumping between the Borders' Abbeys Way and St Cuthbert's Way based on convenience/interest. It's about 25C at the moment and glorious.

By no means a Munro but the Eildon Hills were an enjoyable - short and steep - landmark to clamber over between Melrose and St Boswells yesterday.

IMG_20220622_132731.thumb.jpg.abd3872e26cd6737854a9c7796bd2997.jpg

Heading across to the coast to do St Abbs and Eyemouth tomorrow. 

Borders are looking magnificent at the moment, so you've timed it well and there is a total lack of squelchy stuff due to the dry spell. 

I need to do some walking in Toryland.

Quite fancy the southern upland way after watching Ian Robertsons show over Xmas.  Would probably fancy east to west though as Port Patrick would be a class finishing point 

Edited by invergowrie arab

I've done a surprisingly big chunk of the SUW on various other walks - would also like to do the whole thing though. Having climbed the majority of the big hills down here, I think @virginton has the right idea - point to point walks are the best way to see things in the Borders and D&G.

31 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Has anyone summited, or attempted to summit, all 10 Munros in the Mamores range in 1 day?

Steve Fallon has. Doesn't sound like my idea of a good time though. 21 miles is doable if about the upper end of my 1 day limitations. 3400m of ascent is eye-watering though 

https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/mamores.html

Edited by invergowrie arab

18 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Has anyone summited, or attempted to summit, all 10 Munros in the Mamores range in 1 day?

Back in 1976, our school had a hillwalking club and we had a 2 week tour of the north-west, which included a 3 day incarceration in Steall bothy.

One of the goals set by the teachers (Stewart Robertson, Claire Slatter, Ian Jones....possibly all passed away now) was to bag all 10 Mamore tops in 24 hours.......which we did but involved an overnight bivvy.

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Back in 1976, our school had a hillwalking club and we had a 2 week tour of the north-west, which included a 3 day incarceration in Steall bothy.

One of the goals set by the teachers (Stewart Robertson, Claire Slatter, Ian Jones....possibly all passed away now) was to bag all 10 Mamore tops in 24 hours.......which we did but involved an overnight bivvy.

I'm thinking it could be done in a day, setting off early.  I've done the South Glen Shiel ridge in a day comfortably, and its 5 miles more distance but 700m less climb. 

Going to give it a go next month I think. Going anti-clockwise, I'll know after An Gearanach if its worth doing the last 4 or whether to bail down the ring of Steall route.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

I'm thinking it could be done in a day, setting off early.  I've done the South Glen Shiel ridge in a day comfortably, and its 5 miles more distance but 700m less climb. 

Going to give it a go next month I think. Going anti-clockwise, I'll know after An Gearanach if its worth doing the last 4 or whether to bail down the ring of Steall route.

Its almost double the ascent of the South Glen Shiel ridge 

I'm planning it for next month. Doing Binnein Beag first though as I'd rather be descending from Mullach nan Coirean than BB. It's basically a tester to see if I could manage the Mullardochs

26 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'm planning it for next month. Doing Binnein Beag first though as I'd rather be descending from Mullach nan Coirean than BB. It's basically a tester to see if I could manage the Mullardochs

Surely not planning that in one day?

4 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Surely not planning that in one day?

Not yet 😂

I'll make a decision after the Mamores. If I can't do the Mamores reasonably comfortably, there's absolutely no point in attempting the Mullardochs. The massive problem is that the equivalent distance and ascent for the Mamores only gets you as far as Mam Sodhail on the Mullardoch round, which still leaves you the out and back to Beinn Fhionnlaidh, an absolutely huge climb back to Carn Eighe then the comparatively simpler munros of Tom a'Choinnich and Toll Creagach, not to mention a shite descent back to the dam. Unless I feel pretty decent after the mamores I won't be trying that. I do however fancy backpacking the Mullardochs over 3 days, getting quite jealous of my pals doing it and waking up to glorious sunrises and inversions 😂

Interesting to see how everyone gets on in Summer Epic season - I've done some really big days over the years but never anything as long as the Mullardoch Round or the Mamores in a day. I've always liked the camping part so much that if a walk went over a certain distance, I automatically split it so I could get a good camp in too. 

On 23/06/2022 at 17:09, microdave said:

Beinn Ime today and I feel broken. It's my first decent hill of this year and I now think I should've started with a Corbett (such as the Cobbler). There were a few times that I almost gave up because I didn't think I could make it but I'm glad I carried on because I didn't actually have much more to go. It was covered in mist which meant I couldn't see the summit and I think that was hampering me. I've included a pic of the Cobbler which was looking magnificent today. 1e8173798d0619dd677f6602ee486bd1.jpg48eb8defd20747710bf10092722335db.jpg

Ime is definitely the most featureless Munro in that area. I combined it with Beinn Narnain the first time up it, and before I went Ime was described to me as being ‘an unrelenting slog’, which turned out to be quite accurate. You could have made your return route a bit more interesting by scaling the boulders up the back of Narnain to its summit, and descending down the front of Narnain taking the path that leads almost back to Succoth car park, missing out the never ending zig zag path.