Hillwalking Thread

11 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Is that El Capitan in the night time pic? 

The Movie Free Solo is well worth a watch for anyone yet to see it.

Yeah, it is. I spent hours just sitting watching El Cap. The climbers ascending the wall, look like tiny ants. Then at night, the wall lights up with their torches. Standing at the base of the wall and looking up, it defies belief that humans can climb it. 

40655909-7323-414B-9404-31E400842CF8.jpeg

975B202C-A5B0-45CD-9198-42D2286CB6CB.jpeg

4 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Yeah, it is. I spent hours just sitting watching El Cap. The climbers ascending the wall, look like tiny ants. Then at night, the wall lights up with their torches. Standing at the base of the wall and looking up, it defies belief that humans can climb it. 

Aye it's crazy. It's on my bucketlist to see it too. My palms were sweaty just watching the movie.

Ever known anyone to enjoy Beinn Sheasgarnaich ? Well you have now.

Made a decision long ago that the Creag Mhòr round and peat bog exit wasn't happening so decided to pick this off from Loch Lyon up the NE ridge after crossing the Allt Chall.

Steep as f**k but bone dry easy terrain. Loch Lyon is a really nice spot. More like being beside Mullardoch or Affric than Perthshire.

Back to the car in 6 hours with dry feet, nice drive down a sunny Glen Lyon for chips in Dunkeld. 

20220619_152228.jpg

20220619_140747.jpg

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ever known anyone to enjoy Beinn Sheasgarnaich ? Well you have now.

Made a decision long ago that the Creag Mhòr round and peat bog exit wasn't happening so decided to pick this off from Loch Lyon up the NE ridge after crossing the Allt Chall.

Steep as f**k but bone dry easy terrain. Loch Lyon is a really nice spot. More like being beside Mullardoch or Affric than Perthshire.

Back to the car in 6 hours with dry feet, nice drive down a sunny Glen Lyon for chips in Dunkeld. 

20220619_152228.jpg

20220619_140747.jpg

I enjoyed that walk - but it was nice snow conditions and I didn't go through the peat bog. Did wonder what it would be like from Glen Lyon - so now I know :)

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

I enjoyed that walk - but it was nice snow conditions and I didn't go through the peat bog. Did wonder what it would be like from Glen Lyon - so now I know :)

Whilst it would be a big day I reckon the whole round from Glen Lyon would be a good day out and no bigger a day than the alternative 

Looking for some advice from the more experienced hillwalkers on here. I got speaking to a chap on Ben Vane a couple weeks back and mentioned to him I fancied doing Ben Nevis this year. He said if I was gonna do it go the CMD Arete route and that it wasn’t too bad in terms of difficulty, but I always like a 2nd opinion.

Anyone done this route and is it difficult? (Done 5 munros and still a relative novice) 

In summer conditions it's a piece of piss (technically) Its a big day out and a steep slog to Càrn Mòr Dearg from Coire Leis. The steep slog can be avoided by starting from the climbers car park at the North Face car park but still a big day.

With snow lying it's a different issue but between now and October I wouldn't anticipate any difficulties.

If you do get a bit of vertigo it's easy to leave the main ridge and keep left to avoid big drops to the right. For me it's more of a Coire headwall than a real ridge or arete.

Have done it 3 times but the first time I maybe had 10 munros under my belt

Definitely go for it. Its absolutely the best way to experience the Ben 

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

In summer conditions it's a piece of piss (technically) Its a big day out and a steep slog to Càrn Mòr Dearg from Coire Leis. The steep slog can be avoided by starting from the climbers car park at the North Face car park but still a big day.

With snow lying it's a different issue but between now and October I wouldn't anticipate any difficulties.

If you do get a bit of vertigo it's easy to leave the main ridge and keep left to avoid big drops to the right. For me it's more of a Coire headwall than a real ridge or arete.

Have done it 3 times but the first time I maybe had 10 munros under my belt

Definitely go for it. Its absolutely the best way to experience the Ben 

Top man, appreciate it! Think we’ll definitely head up this route up 

32 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Has anyone done Binnein Beag in the Mamores from the Steall Meadows "path"? I expect some bog and pathless shite, just not sure how bad ...

I want an answer to this too.

I missed it out from Kinlocheleven as I couldn't be fucked and I have regretted it ever since 

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I want an answer to this too.

I missed it out from Kinlocheleven as I couldn't be fucked and I have regretted it ever since 

My mate sort of did this last time we were up there. We did Sgurr Eilde Mor then Binnein Beag on a scorchingly hot day, he took one look at Binnein Mor and sacked it, I did Mor then Na Gruagaichean. He was gutted when he got back and realised that in heading back towards Loch Eilde Mor then back down, we'd both done almost the same total ascent and distance anyway 😂 

The OS 1:25 shows a path zig-zagging up from about halfway up the north side of BB, just wondering if it's actually there or not. I do have vague memories of heading through that section on the north side of the river after the Grey Corries and it being a total quagmire, but it had been pissing down all day.

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

My mate sort of did this last time we were up there. We did Sgurr Eilde Mor then Binnein Beag on a scorchingly hot day, he took one look at Binnein Mor and sacked it, I did Mor then Na Gruagaichean. He was gutted when he got back and realised that in heading back towards Loch Eilde Mor then back down, we'd both done almost the same total ascent and distance anyway 😂 

The OS 1:25 shows a path zig-zagging up from about halfway up the north side of BB, just wondering if it's actually there or not. I do have vague memories of heading through that section on the north side of the river after the Grey Corries and it being a total quagmire, but it had been pissing down all day.

Very similar to me. On a amazingly hot day went back down to the bealach from Sgur Eilde Mòr and thought I couldn't be fucked and went up Binnein Mor and Na Gruaichean .

If I had thought about it sensibly at the time I would have realised its a huge walk in either way.

Actually had the worst accident I have ever had on the hills where my missus slipped on the way on wet grass up Binnean Beag and she fell a 100 ft but luckily she ran out rather than tumbled over cliffs 

9 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Very similar to me. On a amazingly hot day went back down to the bealach from Sgur Eilde Mòr and thought I couldn't be fucked and went up Binnein Mor and Na Gruaichean .

If I had thought about it sensibly at the time I would have realised its a huge walk in either way.

Actually had the worst accident I have ever had on the hills where my missus slipped on the way on wet grass up Binnean Beag and she fell a 100 ft but luckily she ran out rather than tumbled over cliffs 

Aye they're a tough wee group whichever way you do them. My mate only has NG left which is pretty unlucky for him. How did you find the descent off NG by the way? I dunno if i took the wrong line, but i followed a path for about 100m of descent from the summit ridge which vanished leaving several hundred metres of very steep grassy/heathery misery. Definitely one of the worst I've experienced. 

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Has anyone done Binnein Beag in the Mamores from the Steall Meadows "path"? I expect some bog and pathless shite, just not sure how bad ...

When anyone asks what my worst day on the hills ever was - it was this. It was a shite weather day to be fair but I ended up thigh deep in a bog for the only time before or since. 

It was early on in my hillwalking days and I made the mistake of trusting a route from a Cameron McNeish book - but I really wouldn't recommend it. 

15 minutes ago, Swello said:

When anyone asks what my worst day on the hills ever was - it was this. It was a shite weather day to be fair but I ended up thigh deep in a bog for the only time before or since. 

It was early on in my hillwalking days and I made the mistake of trusting a route from a Cameron McNeish book - but I really wouldn't recommend it. 

Cheers 😂

I think i'll have to suffer it either at the start of a massive day, or at the end. I think i'll get it out the way early.