Hillwalking Thread

On 31/05/2022 at 07:41, Day of the Lords said:

I  haven't done Curved Ridge yet but I believe it's on a similar level to the Aonach Eagach. The "standard route" up the corrie is straightforward with a path most of the way. There is a large boulderfield near the top of the corrie but from what I remember the route through it is pretty obvious. In winter conditions the main difficulty tends to be a large snow cornice at the top of Coire na Tulaich, which generally hangs about until early May. 

Cheers for the info, and well done on 250 Munros. Are you expecting to complete the lot any time in the near future? Only 32 to go it would be a shame not to. :lol: 

A guy I used to work with had bagged the lot, and he said the InPinn on Skye was the only munro that required ropes to access the summit. Is that still one of your 32? What an achievement it would be although 250 isn’t bad going either. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Cheers for the info, and well done on 250 Munros. Are you expecting to complete the lot any time in the near future? Only 32 to go it would be a shame not to. :lol: 

A guy I used to work with had bagged the lot, and he said the InPinn on Skye was the only munro that required ropes to access the summit. Is that still one of your 32? What an achievement it would be although 250 isn’t bad going either. 

Aye, the six I've got left on Skye include the Pinn and are mostly the trickier ones, ie Pinn, Sgurr MhicChonnich, Gillean, Basteir and the Mhadaidh/Ghreadaidh pair. I was hoping to finish them all this year but I need quite a few good weather windows for what I have planned, and as this is Scotland, that probably isn't realistic 😂

Probably be next Spring most likely

46 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Aye, the six I've got left on Skye include the Pinn and are mostly the trickier ones, ie Pinn, Sgurr MhicChonnich, Gillean, Basteir and the Mhadaidh/Ghreadaidh pair. I was hoping to finish them all this year but I need quite a few good weather windows for what I have planned, and as this is Scotland, that probably isn't realistic 😂

Probably be next Spring most likely

InPin as your last Munro would be a nice one :) 

Also - Sgurr a Mhadaidh & Greadaidh (along with Bannachdich) was my best ever day on the hills and I think is the best ridge walk in the country by a distance - so that's a nice treat waiting for you....

14 hours ago, Swello said:

InPin as your last Munro would be a nice one :) 

Also - Sgurr a Mhadaidh & Greadaidh (along with Bannachdich) was my best ever day on the hills and I think is the best ridge walk in the country by a distance - so that's a nice treat waiting for you....

I've done Banachdich but I've heard about the bonkers narrow bit of ridge that links Mhadaid/Ghreadaid with SnB. Quite fancy that. 

Another biggish day yesterday to do the Braeriach traverse. Last time out on these hills all I saw was the inside of a cloud for about 80% of a ridiculous 17 hour day, so we decided to head round them again armed with a good forecast. Got the bikes as far as the Luibeag burn. Tbh I thought I'd breeze these but it was a real struggle. 5 miles each way on the bike and 17 on foot over around 10 hours of largely fine weather.

Brutal.

d7afc4691a1f07e75ac67900b3611e3c.jpg4487b0415cb6aaf6f90b0f03ee2c9c1c.jpg03d559bf7f5b9361d759fd02f1f7a4b4.jpga934f23841fe44bbda763af558710f79.jpgcb3515472c130e9d7fd366aadf9b1a9d.jpg

Edited by Day of the Lords

I started off my year with my first furth munro a couple of weeks back. Carrauntoohil in Kerry.

Folk on social media here would have an aneurysm if they saw what Irish people climb hills in. Almost everyone in trainers, short and a GAA tracky top. It was freezing too.

I just did up and back my the Devils ladder which was a shame as it was a boring climb and full ridge of McGillicuddys Reeks looks amazing but I prioritised getting back to Killarney to drink.

20220510_111817.jpg

20220510_130432.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

55 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I started off my year with my first furth munro a couple of weeks back. Carrauntoohil in Kerry.

Folk on social media here would have an aneurysm if they saw what Irish people climb hills in. Almost everyone in trainers, short and a GAA tracky top. It was freezing too.

I just did up and back my the Devils ladder which was a shame as it was a boring climb and full ridge of McGillicuddys Reeks looks amazing but I prioritised getting back to Killarney to drink.

Integrating with the Irish (and all right minded walkers) there.

There's definitely a significant snobbery/gatekeeping element involved in the UK, where no-one without all-weather gear and certified map and compass skills should ever dare to go out and climb their local hills.

While (mostly Scottish) hills pose a real challenge of highly changeable weather conditions all year round, it's laughable to see the accounts of treacherous UK hills from a wider perspective. Slovakia's ranges of high mountains are all well above 1000m, involve wild bears in the neighborhood, routine thunderstorms in the summer climbing season and yet are treated as a bracing family day out. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Integrating with the Irish (and all right minded walkers) there.

There's definitely a significant snobbery/gatekeeping element involved in the UK, where no-one without all-weather gear and certified map and compass skills should ever dare to go out and climb their local hills.

While (mostly Scottish) hills pose a real challenge of highly changeable weather conditions all year round, it's laughable to see the accounts of treacherous UK hills from a wider perspective. Slovakia's ranges of high mountains are all well above 1000m, involve wild bears in the neighborhood, routine thunderstorms in the summer climbing season and yet are treated as a bracing family day out. 

But dont get gear that's too good like a decent GPS as then you won't be learning your craft. It's all very Baden-Powell.

My only rule for gear is spend twice as much on socks as you think is decent . 

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

20220510_111817.jpg

20220510_130432.jpg

Looks smashing - a Furth trip to Ireland is in my plan for next year (Wales was this year). The top picture is brilliant - none of your stalkers' paths zig-zagging everywhere, just get a path right up the middle :)

Did you find out what the access laws are like there (eg, can you wild camp, etc)?

But dont get gear that's too good like a decent GPS as then you won't be learning your craft. It's all very Baden-Powell.
My only rule for gear is spend twice as much on socks as you think is decent . 

I should probably be burned at the stake as I use OS Maps on a phone at times and have probably got the map and compass out twice in 10 years.

7 hours ago, Swello said:

Looks smashing - a Furth trip to Ireland is in my plan for next year (Wales was this year). The top picture is brilliant - none of your stalkers' paths zig-zagging everywhere, just get a path right up the middle :)

Did you find out what the access laws are like there (eg, can you wild camp, etc)?

The laws themselves are pretty draconian but they said if you are up a glen out of sight nobody will bother but don't expect to camp near farmland- or if you do you need to ask. I think Irelands relationship with travellers colours a lot their access legislation.

The start of the walk I did is at Cronins Yard and loads of signs saying (very nicely) access is allowed due to the goodwill of the landowner and please behave or it could be withdrawn ie tjenright to even walk the hills could be withdrawn.

I think the main difference between here and Scotland is the landowner in Ireland likely lives there and farms the land himself rather than being a multinational conglomerate based in the Cayman Islands but maybe I'm naïve.

They seemed very excited to point out they had red deer in Kerry and people kept asking me if I had managed to see any. 

As an aside I find Ireland very jarring for having private land signs, CCTV, electric fences etc up all over the place even invery small towns. As above, I suspect its an anti-traveller thing. 

They don't quite reach the heights of Scotland but a full round of McGilicuddys Reeks looks as good as anything we have. 

Haven't been up the 12 Bens in Connamara but from the road they look spectacular too.

37 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Meall Glas sans Sgiath Chuil today. Did SG last year, took on look at the bealach (it's a fucking glen) and thought f**k that. 

A fucking boring pudding of a hill. A spongy slog from car to cairn saved by decent views at the summit. 

20220604_150633.jpg

20220604_150746.jpg

Absolutely *hated* that walk - I did the 2 on a roasting day and had a hellish time of it to the point where I couldn't believe that there wasn't more ascent as it felt like about 2000m. I was so scunnered after it that I canned a walk up Ben Nevis that I'd planned for the next day and went straight home :)

Yup, two hills which spectacularly contradict the "there's no such thing as a bad hill" brigade. Tedious terrain, a soul-sucking 400m height loss between the two and all defended by interminable bog. Two more of my seven reasons not to do a second round [emoji23]. Shite.

With a few exceptions I hate everything accessible from Glen Dochart  and Glen Spean and all in between. 

The only pair I have to do there now are the Beinn Sheasgairneach two and today has really depressed me about the idea of them. 

I might end up the only person ever to compleat there. 

48 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

With a few exceptions I hate everything accessible from Glen Dochart  and Glen Spean and all in between. 

The only pair I have to do there now are the Beinn Sheasgairneach two and today has really depressed me about the idea of them. 

I might end up the only person ever to compleat there. 

I won't lie, Heasgairnich is absolutely shit, although in fairness I thought Creag Mhor was a decent hill. I tried to be clever, and biked along to the north side from the Lyon dam. This cut the walking mileage down to a mere 7 miles or so. My cunning plan unravelled when Creag Mhor's "winter coat" turned out to be slush covering bog until about 600m, the rest of the walk to the summit was decent with fine views, however a shite descent, boggy bealach and horrific gradient of shitey tussocky grass up Sron Tarbh until I found the path was dire and by the time I summited I was fucked. The descent north was pleasant for about 20 minutes then became pretty tortuous. By the time I got to the bike I was too knackered to make decent time back to the van. Absolute hell. 

So basically all approaches are fucking shite. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2022 at 13:09, Central Belt Caley said:

Went up Ben Vane yesterday morning and was treated to some cracking views at the top. 02C80DFC-9660-4C88-B7B7-B1D46A345EC5.thumb.jpeg.1e1f76fcd0144561b0cc6f5f6ee19e96.jpeg

Legs are in bits today though, might only be 915m but defo packs a punch for a novice like me 😂

I’ve climbed Vane a good few times as it’s one of the closest for me. The first time I done it I was ready to turn back, every time you got over a steep section expecting to see the summit, another even larger steep section appeared behind it. A very enjoyable hill though and I’ve grown to love the couple of wee scrambly sections near the top. They do say that despite it being one of the smaller munros it’s one of the most challenging. 

Me and a friend went and done The Cobbler last week, another one that’s quite local although this was my first time up it. Had planned to do it a few years ago alongside Narnain and Ime but ended up bypassing it. 

62F575F2-3A44-42C6-8996-32D4CEC46D2A.thumb.jpeg.b6866622a184e68e2b4a3a1bf3a13f29.jpeg

Was a slightly more difficult climb than I imagined it to be just because of how popular it is. The final 100 metres or so is quite steep but the summit is in sight by that point. The zig zag path that starts and ends that route is the only downside, it’s like a never ending optical illusion where you think the next corner is going to be the last, but you end up walking for another 25 minutes.