Hillwalking Thread

The Weegie weans on their holidays will be a complete pain in the arse.

Can you not wait until the schools are back in and do another one in the meantime?

Buchaille Etive Mor is quite easy I've heard. :)

but but but oh I don't know... Might do Ben Vane instead then though it's not far away from Lomond. I had forgotten that the schools were off just now. :(

It's spelt Ben Cleuch actually.

and I should know until they reshuffled the houses at school I was in "Cleuch"

I've never tried climbing myself but the one that many people say they've done and is easier than the rest is Dumyat (pronounced Dum-aye-at) which is just north of Blairlogie. If you're a mince hillwalker just starting, that might be ideal.

hth

Climed Dumyat for Standard Grade P.E. Have also climed Ben Cleuch.

Going up Ben Lomond on Wednesday apparently, anyone done this one and how hard was it? :ph34r:

It really is easy you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Well, yesterday I chalked up An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin (starting point is on the way to Crainlarich).

Cloudy, wet and very windy higher up. I guess I was due a day of crap weather after the two fine outings last week.

As for the hills - well, I can comfortably say that I won't be back to repeat them.

We went up Ben Lomond yesterday and now wishing we'd went up the Cobbler as there was no wind at all. Feel like I've cheated a bit given there were steps up all the steep bits. :ph34r: Met a Dundee Utd fan on the way up though so that was quite funny. Sprained my ankle on the way back down and that was not so funny.

ben_lomond006.jpg

The Cobbler

ben_lomond019.jpg

Not long back from another double - Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin (up at Loch Earn).

I cannot recommend this pair highly enough - the first is one of these hills where you can actually see the summit pretty much the whole time you are climbing.

Stuc a' Chroin has a scramble for its ascent (or a wimpy path round to the right). In truth the scrambly bit is no steeper than say, Ben Vane, but has a couple of awkward moments which, with a cool head are easily passed over.

Excellent stuff.

Hoping to do a bit of hillwalking in the summer, done 2 munroes, the oakles? is that right? the ones at stirling and the Cairngorms

Also done some trekking in Nepal when i was around 12, done 40miles in the Annapurna range, that was amazin and something i would love to do again now i'm of an age i would appreaciate it more.

Love climbing hills, last one I did was Merrick near Loch Trool. Bloody beautiful area when you just lie down on the top and watch the clouds roll by. And the silence itself was just fantastic....till the step-sister started crying again for food.

Well that's Shalloch on Minnoch (Corbett) bagged.

Up and down in 4 hours, not a bad wee hill with a bit of variety - open road, derelict farm, forest "path", crossing a burn a few times and open grass slopes.

If anyone ever does this I'd recommend a dry day (like I did) - plus the trig point is not the summit, you have to go to the wee cairn to the SE.

Was planning on doing a Munro on Friday (pondered Schiehallion) but my feet are starting to complain, so it'll be an Arrochar corbett instead.

Not long back from another double - Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin (up at Loch Earn).

I cannot recommend this pair highly enough - the first is one of these hills where you can actually see the summit pretty much the whole time you are climbing.

Stuc a' Chroin has a scramble for its ascent (or a wimpy path round to the right). In truth the scrambly bit is no steeper than say, Ben Vane, but has a couple of awkward moments which, with a cool head are easily passed over.

Excellent stuff.

Thanks again AT, I've got those ones on my list for later in the year (well mid-summer I think). How long did it take you to do the pair of them? I'd be worried that I'd take so long it'd start getting fark even if I set off at 7am! :lol:

Doing Benvane (over loch Earn again I think) next week though it's only a Corbett we need something quick to do as I'm at work for half the day! B)

Thanks again AT, I've got those ones on my list for later in the year (well mid-summer I think). How long did it take you to do the pair of them? I'd be worried that I'd take so long it'd start getting fark even if I set off at 7am! :lol:

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin - started just after 8.30am and was back at the car for around 4pm, and I could probably have shaved half an hour off that, but I took longer breaks than normal (although I did run the last 1km on the descent).

If you have the nerve, I recommend the scramble route up Stuc a' Chroin - not at hairy as some make out.

Planning to bag the last of the main group of the Arrochar Alps tomorrow (Beinn Luibhean).

I did indeed climb Beinn Luibhean today. Starting at a height of 160ish up to the summit of 858m, the lack of a clear path meant having to pick my own way up the glassy (and at times, craggy) slopes.

Did it in an hour and a half too, mainly because I was on my own and could not be arsed stopping. Cloud was on all of the summits in the Arrochar range, so it was rather chilly at the top.

Not likely to get much done after this (baby number 2 is due in July) but I have the thread bookmarked.

Enjoy the hills!

• 3 weeks later...

Got out today and finally started on the four Corbetts "across the street" from The Cobbler et al.

Beinn an Lochain was my summit today (used to be a Munro until the OS re-measured it). Cloudy above 500m (but not cold), I found myself sitting eating lunch with another bloke at the large summit cairn - until the wind shifted the cloud and we saw that we were not at the summit at all - it was still a few minutes away :lol: .

Highly recommend this one.