Hillwalking Thread

I went hillwalking with amate thats right into his munro bagging. We went to the lost valley in Glencoe and camped there before supposedly setting out the next day to go up some hills or whatever.

But I was too comfy and just stayed in the tent and got stoned while he wandered off for the entire day. I remember taking a dump al fresco though. That was great.

Very interesting, I may take up a bit of this - you have inspired me - and it's free.

It is a great way of keeping fit (probably also a fantastic way to kill yourself if you're unfit though).

Nothing better than getting really muddy, tramping across countryside then coming home for a long bath before ordering a curry and then watching a DVD (or football) later on! ;)

Al the pictures are really good, I've always been interested to know what is actually up the mountains, like any animals etc?

On the way to Stirling, I love looking at the hills, don't know why, I just do.

As far as animals are concerned, all I've seen is sheep, except when ascending (the pretty steep) Ben Vorlich where I encountered a cow half way up. I wondered how it could have been bothered going all the way up just to chew grass. :blink:

damn I thought that didn't look right somehow. :ph34r: Funnily enough my friend climbed Dymyat the other day (not the friend that goes hillwalking with me. Well... the friend that puts up with me while he's hillwalking). Dynyat is about half the size of Cleuch though I think so lokking to do something a bit bigger after Ben Venue which is next on the list. At some point this year I'd like to do Ben Venue (unfinished from last year), Ben Vane, Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich (Venechar) and Stuc A Chrion and the Cobbler. Need to think of some good Corbetts to do as well though.

Corbetts - The Merrick is straightforward enough (with the odd signpost), as is Cairnsmore of Carsphairn (you follow the path to the wall, then follow the wall to the summit).

Goatfell is a great walk in good weather.

Well I'm hoping to climb Beinn Ime tomorrow (my first that's above 1000m high) with a work colleague.

If our fitness is up to it, we might hop over to Beinn Luibhean too.

An early start to the day for me, so I'll be calling it a night soon.

Edit - Middleton mouse - I've read that there's still a diversion on the Merrick path due to tree felling, but not the same knackering one that I was sent on back in October.

The guy who writes this website here has a good account of the climb and some great pics of fallen trees on the path. :unsure:

Edited by AyrshireTon

Hill walking is great, shame none of my pals are into it. When I was a bit younger I did 25-30 munros including Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich, Ben More (Crianlarich), Ben Nevis, Shiehallion. Recently I've only been climbing 2-3 times a year because it's not as much fun on yer ain. :( I managed to pursuade the good lady to climb Ben Cleuch but to be honest that was the limit of her capability. Ben More (again) is my most recent.

damn I thought that didn't look right somehow. :ph34r: Funnily enough my friend climbed Dymyat the other day (not the friend that goes hillwalking with me. Well... the friend that puts up with me while he's hillwalking). Dynyat is about half the size of Cleuch though I think so lokking to do something a bit bigger after Ben Venue which is next on the list. At some point this year I'd like to do Ben Venue (unfinished from last year), Ben Vane, Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich (Venechar) and Stuc A Chrion and the Cobbler. Need to think of some good Corbetts to do as well though.

Even though it's a bit of a poofy walk you do get a cracking view from Dumyat. Also, if you're feeling really lazy, you can drive up the hill at the back of the Uni and it takes you have way up :lol:

Oooo let us know how you get on at the Cobbler. I might be able to wave to you from Ben Venue as I'm meant to be finished that one on Friday. I quite fancy doing the cobbler myself as I enjoy the scambling but not sure how my nerves would hold up on the summits of that hill. Are you going to do the three summits or just the tallest one?

If the weather stays like this then you should get some great views from the Cobbler, hope it stays nice and the mist doesn't follow us again. :angry:

Well, I made it up Beinn Ime (the long way - starting from Arrochar).

My companion's legs were giving her jip, but she was determined to make it to the summit - and we did after 4h 40 mins.

Pic of me in front of the bugger is attached below.

Doing the Cobbler on Friday - wonder if I'll have the balls to get to the summit? :unsure:

post-448-1175692093_thumb.jpg

Did you manage up the Cobbler then AyrshireTon? It took us an age to get up Ben Venue, didn't realise the path was so winding. Thought we were OK to take our time and take a load of photos and as a result it took us 3.5 hours to reach the summit of a 2400' hill. :lol:

I DID reach the summit - dead chuffed too. Once I was through the window I basically told myself that I was not going back until I'd done it - a bit on the scary side, but well worth it :)

Got up in around 2 and a half hours - half the world passed us as we were on the way back down.

Pics below of the summit (from the North peak) and me sitting on the summit pillar.

post-448-1175887836_thumb.jpg

post-448-1175887847_thumb.jpg

Great summit photo! :D I had my picture taken on the summit but it was with my friends camera as my batteries died. I did manage to get a fair few good pictures before that happened though. The walk up Venue was really nice, not too difficult but enough interesting bits to keep you going. The views over loch Katrine and the Trossachs were amazing and we were lucky enough to see a couple of ravens (pictures on friends camera - obviously).

venue009.jpg

venue015.jpg

venue012.jpg