Hillwalking Thread

On 12/12/2021 at 18:10, invergowrie arab said:

Sorry to be that guy but there are no "safe" winter hills and none that are safe underfoot. You need axe and crampons and the knowledge of how to use them. People have died on hills as benign as Ben Lomond in recent years.

The Arrocher hills are are steep and rocky. Horrible ground to be on when they ice up.

Best best are hills as broad and grassy as you can get. Something like Ben Chonzie or the Glenshee hills.

Creag nan Gabhar for me today. Absolutely baltic.

IMG_20211212_165453_095.jpg

IMG_20211212_165453_006.jpg

To be fair I was expecting that answer, and I would like to think I would be able to recognise conditions out with my ability. 

Ben Chonzie was one that was recommended, I know it’s pretty straightforward, so will choose that if any. 

On 13/12/2021 at 14:22, Swello said:

Some hills that have a "tourist path" up them are deceptively dodgy as these well built paths mask how steep the hills really are in a lot of cases and in winter when there is ice and the line of the path is hidden, they become considerably more serious.

The one time I've seen something really bad happening on the hills was on Ben Vane at Loch Lomond, (which is easy in Summer) when a guy in the group ahead of me coming down started sliding due to the fact that he had no crampons on and because his axe was on his pack(!), he went right over the edge. I believe he got badly injured but didn't die - so he was fucking lucky. At the time, it totally freaked me out and it's honestly the main reason that I practice self arrests every year as soon as I'm out in the right conditions (and with no real winter walking in 20/21 due to lockdown, it'll be extra important this year)

ETA - sorry, reply was meant to be for @IrishBhoy, not @invergowrie arab :)

That sounds pretty sketchy. I’ve done Ben Vane a couple of times in good conditions, it was one I was actually thinking would be ok in the snow, so cheers for the info. I’ve never used crampons or had any experience of true winter conditions so it’s possibly not for me just yet. I might look for a course that teaches winter climbing with a group and aim for next winter. 

24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That sounds pretty sketchy. I’ve done Ben Vane a couple of times in good conditions, it was one I was actually thinking would be ok in the snow, so cheers for the info. I’ve never used crampons or had any experience of true winter conditions so it’s possibly not for me just yet. I might look for a course that teaches winter climbing with a group and aim for next winter. 

You can learn the basics in a day on a course and be off up the hills the next day.

Winter in the Scottish hills tend to be Jan-March so you have plenty time. The early snows tend to come and go and we have seen that again this year, snow is all gone again this week.

It's an expensive business to buy all the gear though. TISO hire it all out if you want a bash before you buy.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

You can learn the basics in a day on a course and be off up the hills the next day.

Winter in the Scottish hills tend to be Jan-March so you have plenty time. The early snows tend to come and go and we have seen that again this year, snow is all gone again this week.

It's an expensive business to buy all the gear though. TISO hire it all out if you want a bash before you buy.

Cheers for that. Do you have any recommendations for courses? Are some more reputable than others?

I wouldn’t mind buying all the gear as I’m pretty certain I would get good use out of it once I got a bit of experience. Might hire it out in the first instance just to get an idea of what I need though. Is there a limit as to what you can do in peak winter conditions, is climbing something like Aonach Eagach in February an act of idiocy, or can it be done with the right equipment and experience. Not that it’s going to be my first stop but interested to know what’s achievable. 

Don't know where you live but I did mine through Ancrum in Dundee. They do their's in Glenshee so if you can get up there you probably wouldn't have to go to Dundee.

I think TISO do courses too.

Glenmore are probably really good but they are also really expensive.

Yes - people climb the Aonach Eagach and do full traverses of the Cuilin ridge in winter. Everything is in scope.

I have heard some extremely experienced people say its easier in winter as what might be some really hard scrambling with very specific routes in summer is just climbing a wall of ice in winter. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

37 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Don't know where you live but I did mine through Ancrum in Dundee. They do their's in Glenshee so if you can get up there you probably wouldn't have to go to Dundee.

I think TISO do courses too.

Glenmore are probably really good but they are also really expensive.

Yes - people climb the Aonach Eagach and do full traverses of the Cuilin ridge in winter. Everything is in scope.

I have heard some extremely experienced people say its easier in winter as what might be some really hard scrambling with very specific routes in summer is just climbing a wall of ice in winter. 

I’m Glasgow area but willing to travel, will have a look at your suggestions, cheers. 

That is interesting to know and good to hear that with the right training and experience it’s achievable, as I would really like to get involved in stuff like that. I was expecting you to say it would be too dangerous and putting the Mountain Rescue at unnecessary risk. The Cuillin Ridge in bad conditions must be some experience, probably not a nice one. 

Have you done Curved Ridge before? I’m aiming to go that route this summer, ideally on a calm summers day though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Annoyingly didn't get out much over the Xmas break (mostly due to abysmal weather on literally every day I had time) - but managed to sneak a weird little wander yesterday in the Lowther Hills (first time for me). It's a weird walk because it starts in Wanlockhead, which at 450m above sea level pretty much feels like cheating - but it's also weird because these hills have some stuff on them.

PXL_20220104_102923965.thumb.jpg.8175186f811368965c1873530b651453.jpg

Initial walk is along the Southern Upland Way (it's getting to the point I've walked about half of by accident!) and then you hit a perfect tarmac road which literally takes you to the summit, which also has this plonked on it:

PXL_20220104_110034774.thumb.jpg.e97b61e1af2ed1367d00568dd9bcda1c.jpg

The road then goes right along the crest of the hill until you reach Green Lowther (also covered in Radar stuff) - a walk done in bright weather but -15 wind chill which was a shock to my system and reminded me to get into the winter mood. 

PXL_20220104_110907337.thumb.jpg.2d38c5373edb22a2ff3566890f114db5.jpg

After a quick walk back to the Golf Ball, I headed on a more conventional hillwalk over to East Lowther on the SUW, which follows an old pass here - it was a nice viewpoint where you could see huge parts of south Scotland. 

PXL_20220104_115512152.thumb.jpg.b18d50a27bf55a343d4ab9561fed6648.jpg

PXL_20220104_121038027.thumb.jpg.ff7051c1083add8d37c3e65c7c84683e.jpg

As it was freezing, I decided to forego lunch on the hill and was back at the car by 1pm, 2.5 hours after starting out. This was a piece of piss but was surprisingly enjoyable and at least I've got my first walk of the year in quite early...

25 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Planning on walking from Blair Atholl to Kingussie via Glen Tilt and Glen Feshie in April/May. What hill(s) would people recommend if I have half a day or so to kill along the way?

That's a cracking walk -I did it a few years back but ended in Aviemore. The little green under the suspension bridge at Falls of Tarf is a world class wild camping spot BTW (but it's well known, so don't count on it being available).

31671729521_ea09dd9700_b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

For hills - Carn a' Chlamain is a very straightforward Munro that is only a couple of km from the Glen Tilt landrover track up a great stalkers path - it is the easiest option I think. With my hill bagging hat on, I would go for An Sgarsoch/Carn An Fhidlear as they are a massive pain in the arse to get to and you are passing them on the way - you could add a simple enough loop to get them - but unless you fancy getting all the Munros - the first option is best. 

Those two were hell [emoji23] We biked in from Linn of Dee into a headwind and had a thigh deep River crossing at the old lodge. The approach was pretty boggy to CaF then something like a 300m reascent to AS followed by a shite rough return to the stalkers path. The final kick in the baws was delivered when the wind changed for the cycle out - into another headwind. NOT high on the repeat list [emoji23]

11 hours ago, Swello said:

That's a cracking walk -I did it a few years back but ended in Aviemore. The little green under the suspension bridge at Falls of Tarf is a world class wild camping spot BTW (but it's well known, so don't count on it being available).

31671729521_ea09dd9700_b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

For hills - Carn a' Chlamain is a very straightforward Munro that is only a couple of km from the Glen Tilt landrover track up a great stalkers path - it is the easiest option I think. With my hill bagging hat on, I would go for An Sgarsoch/Carn An Fhidlear as they are a massive pain in the arse to get to and you are passing them on the way - you could add a simple enough loop to get them - but unless you fancy getting all the Munros - the first option is best. 

Many thanks, I knew you'd have some good advice. I'll have a look at each. I initially planned on Aviemore but quite fancy Kingussie, could be persuaded otherwise though.

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Those two were hell emoji23.png We biked in from Linn of Dee into a headwind and had a thigh deep River crossing at the old lodge. The approach was pretty boggy to CaF then something like a 300m reascent to AS followed by a shite rough return to the stalkers path. The final kick in the baws was delivered when the wind changed for the cycle out - into another headwind. NOT high on the repeat list emoji23.png

I did them on a nice day and they were fine - but it was a hard slog into them (especially as I got soaked doing a river crossing that I didn't need to do near White Bridge, for reasons I've forgotten). They aren't normally mentioned in the same breath as other really remote hills but they are -and if someone happened to be walking past them, they are worth doing. They are also a really decent viewpoint for the Cairgorms although they are pretty dull hills to walk on.

1 hour ago, afca32 said:

Many thanks, I knew you'd have some good advice. I'll have a look at each. I initially planned on Aviemore but quite fancy Kingussie, could be persuaded otherwise though.

Ending in Aviemore or Kingussie is really just a personal preference assuming you're getting the train - I was meeting mates in Aviemore, so we wandered there via Lochan Eilein

For those who use bikes for their mountainous activities, what models or specs would you recommend?

I have a friend who runs a bike repair shop who is trying to find me a deal on a hybrid. I am looking at something with disc brakes front and back, fully carbon frame, top level Shimano gears etc. I don't know much about bikes, though, and am guided by him, but I wonder if that's looking too advanced. I would be using it for flattish trails down south, e.g. New Forest, King Alfred Way, and commuting around London, but would also love to take it up to Scotland to do some hills. 

For those who use bikes for their mountainous activities, what models or specs would you recommend?
I have a friend who runs a bike repair shop who is trying to find me a deal on a hybrid. I am looking at something with disc brakes front and back, fully carbon frame, top level Shimano gears etc. I don't know much about bikes, though, and am guided by him, but I wonder if that's looking too advanced. I would be using it for flattish trails down south, e.g. New Forest, King Alfred Way, and commuting around London, but would also love to take it up to Scotland to do some hills. 
You would probably be looking at a hardtail, IE front suspension only. That would do you for estate tracks and on rougher paths/single-track. Carbon frames aren't a necessity for MTBs in my opinion. Reasonably lightweight Alu frames are fine. Weight can be saved with a single chainring set up rather than the triples you find on basic spec bikes.

A hybrid with no suspension would result in a fairly sore arse on some of the Scottish estate tracks tbh.

1 hour ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I've always used a hardtail with front suspension - there is a whole world of debate on Aluminium vs steel vs carbon vs titanium that you really don't want to get into :) I live in mountain biking mecca in the south of scotland and I do have a fancy carbon full-sus bike for trail park stuff but I have never taken it when I'm hillwalking or bikepacking. On some days, a full-sus would get an average rider a bit further or get them there faster - but I can't remember one example where it would have made a meaningful difference to my day.

For hill approach duties or easier cross country stuff (vs "technical" mountain biking) - the most important things IMO are weight and reliability. Weight matters as you will be lifting it over gates/stiles/fences and you will be pushing it more often than you think - as well as the main fact that pedalling a light bike tends to be a lot nicer than pedalling something hefty. Point to remember is that with hardtails, Lighter=More Expensive generally.

Reliability is based on the quality of components to a large extent (although at the very top end, weight vs durability becomes more of a choice). Simply put - if you're in the middle of nowhere, mechanical failures can be a massive fucking nightmare and having cheapo components will heighten the risk of that. The important places to spend your budget are (suspension) fork, gears & brakes - other stuff can be changed/upgraded gradually over time as you see what works well for you. You still see a lot of old skool rigid hardtails out in the hills and assuming you can live with getting rattled about all day, they take the reliability argument to the next step.

If your mate runs a bike shop, he'll know his stuff better than me - but personally I would forgo the carbon frame for Alu and use the resultant savings to get a bike with better components. I would also give Hybrid a miss and go for a "proper" hardtail as you can fit hybrid tyres on a hardtail and get similar performance on roads/canal towpaths, etc and chuck on nobbly tyres when you are out in the mud (or chalk on the South Downs!) and rougher stuff, making it a bit more versatile (which is the best thing about hardtails for me).

Has anyone done Crib Goch on the way to Snowdon? Got a Welsh pal getting a taste for the hills and said I'd be up for Snowdon, but my nature is to be more adventurous than to join a motorway path with thousands of people, and a horseshoe over Crib Goch looks far more appealing.

Very scary exposure, but looks relatively easy in terms of finding places to put your feet, and hands when necessary 

10 hours ago, Swello said:

I did them on a nice day and they were fine - but it was a hard slog into them (especially as I got soaked doing a river crossing that I didn't need to do near White Bridge, for reasons I've forgotten). They aren't normally mentioned in the same breath as other really remote hills but they are -and if someone happened to be walking past them, they are worth doing. They are also a really decent viewpoint for the Cairgorms although they are pretty dull hills to walk on.

They are arguable the remotest in the country imo. They are something like 10-12 miles as the crows flies from the nearest public road. The rougher approaches to deepest Fisherfield probably make them more remote. My experience was probably soured by the fact that when i did them I wasn't nearly as fit, and it was my third successive day on the hills (plus the aforementioned seethe inducing double headwind). An Sgarsoch actually had quite a pleasant cropped grassy summit plateau, ideal for a camp spot. 

8 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

They are arguable the remotest in the country imo. They are something like 10-12 miles as the crows flies from the nearest public road. The rougher approaches to deepest Fisherfield probably make them more remote. My experience was probably soured by the fact that when i did them I wasn't nearly as fit, and it was my third successive day on the hills (plus the aforementioned seethe inducing double headwind). An Sgarsoch actually had quite a pleasant cropped grassy summit plateau, ideal for a camp spot. 

Yeah. That's the mistake I made.

Late start with the aim of a summit camp and early out. Got to the summit at about 10pm (July so fine) absolutely shattered hauling my gear up the pathless heather.

Got all my gear out to find the top soil is about 5 ml deep. Much swearing and repacking later I found a lovely spot closer to the bealach.