Hillwalking Thread

19 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

OK technically not a hill but I'm old, fat and have a dodgy leg.

Anyone walked from Rannoch station to Corrour station?  Was looking on Google maps and the path seems to disappear about half way then start again some way off at Carn Dearg (been on that part before but not beyond). 

I've walked Rannoch moor before north to south and it was a bit of a nightmare with disappearing paths, peat hags, deer trails going nowhere, being up to your ankles in water etc so I'm a bit wary. 

Yes, I have - and I quite enjoyed it. It's been "improved" in most places relatively recently, so the Road to the Isles is almost an actual road again. If I did it again, I would probably bike it in fact. 

As an alternative, Corrour to Spean Bridge is a much more interesting walk, has 2 (at a push, 3) good bothies en route and still allows you to get the train back.

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yes, I have - and I quite enjoyed it. It's been "improved" in most places relatively recently, so the Road to the Isles is almost an actual road again. If I did it again, I would probably bike it in fact. 

As an alternative, Corrour to Spean Bridge is a much more interesting walk, has 2 (at a push, 3) good bothies en route and still allows you to get the train back.

Yeah, I did Dalwhinnie to Glen Nevis about 12 years ago and that was 'good' but pretty tough for the reasons I mentioned earlier.  Literally didn't see any sign of human life for three days which kinda makes you go a bit loopy especially when it's gloomy and ominous.

Also took loads of heavy camera gear, took two pictures and the battery went flat...

OK technically not a hill but I'm old, fat and have a dodgy leg.
Anyone walked from Rannoch station to Corrour station?  Was looking on Google maps and the path seems to disappear about half way then start again some way off at Carn Dearg (been on that part before but not beyond). 
I've walked Rannoch moor before north to south and it was a bit of a nightmare with disappearing paths, peat hags, deer trails going nowhere, being up to your ankles in water etc so I'm a bit wary. 

I walked it last year and there’s a decent quality path the whole way. It joins the road about a mile or two along the road from Rannoch station which was a pain when walking north to south. IMG_3222.png

Mayar and Driesh yet again. I had 4 hours spare yesterday so decided to see how quickly I could get up the Scorrie and back out via Corrie Fee. Weirdly it was windy as f**k in the car park and flat calm at the top of Driesh. Forgot the suncream and got fried [emoji23] 20210612_123746.jpg20210612_131216.jpg20210612_131538.jpg20210612_144005.jpg20210612_150256.jpg

Mullardoch 4 yesterday which has jumped into my top three rounds. A superb walk. Only slightly marred by taking 11 hours ,even with the boat to the start.

The ridge between An Riabhachan and Sgùrr na Lapaich a particular hilight. 

Really really tough walking though.

You don't realise looking at the map, these aren't then Glen Lyon 4 or Glen Shiel ridges, they are huge mountains in their own right. I reckon if there was an A road running along the bottom few people would do the 4. 

11 hours for this had made me question how ill ever get Strathfarrar done though. 

20210626_150605.jpg

20210626_160930.jpg

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Mullardoch 4 yesterday which has jumped into my top three rounds. A superb walk. Only slightly marred by taking 11 hours ,even with the boat to the start.

You don't realise looking at the map, these aren't then Glen Lyon 4 or Glen Shiel ridges, they are huge mountains in their own right. I reckon if there was an A road running along the bottom few people would do the 4. 

11 hours for this had made me question how ill ever get Strathfarrar done though. 

20210626_150605.jpg

20210626_160930.jpg

Brilliant! I did it without the boat and walked out along the Loch at sunrise and back over the tops - it's a stunningly good day  but I was utterly broken at the end of it (and during it after the long climb up onto Sgurr na Lapaich :) ), so kudos for doing the 4.

If it helps, I found Strathfarrar easier and that was done in deep snow where my "mates" left me on point all day. 

20 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

20210626_150605.jpg

20210626_160930.jpg

Strathfarrar is a bit weird. It looks like it must be a brutal day with about 1600m ascent, but other than the boggy coire to get up to the first one, the terrain between that and the other three is lovely walking. The descent path is also excellent. If you've got a bike I'd dump one at the end and cycle the 3 or 4 miles back to the car. It's on a tarmac road and mostly flat/downhill. Your feet will thank you for it 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

How far up the glen can you take the car to dump a bike?

All the way - you can drive all the way to the dam if you really want to (although you don't need to go that far).

I did miss the cutoff to get back out and had to ask the gatekeeper very nicely..

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

All the way - you can drive all the way to the dam if you really want to (although you don't need to go that far).

I did miss the cutoff to get back out and had to ask the gatekeeper very nicely..

That's what will happen to me. I'll make up a lie and say the wife twisted her ankle.

When I did it, the guy was totally fine with it. I had a tenner in my hand to get him a pint as we'd disturbed his dinner - but he must be totally used to it.

It's actually a pain that you can't get permission to park overnight as I'd like to do Lurg Mhor's East ridge by packraft along Loch Monar but the hassle of biking it all the way from the road rules it out for now. 

I've cycled there from Beauly on a couple occasions. If memory serves me correct you can only drive on certain days, otherwise it's totally shut off. A brilliant cycle.

This fella, takes some cracking photos on the bike 

ETA the bottom photo, me and my old man followed one of the trails up the hill when we walked round the area one day. As we came round the corner we were confronted by the biggest Stag I've ever seen. It was March and the winter hadn't been too harsh so he had obviously been feasting. It didn't move an inch, and clearly fancied it's chances. I asked my Dad what we should do "pick up a rock". I left him to do that as I did a swift 180 and galloped back down the hill. Really is a stunning part of the world.

20190305_105137.jpg

P1000743.jpg

20190305_114632.jpg

Edited by LondonHMFC

My and my pal did them on a blisteringly warm day in June 2018. As I posted earlier, the ground between the summits is great, though the walk in is somewhat soggy in places and I can imagine it would be a total bogfest after a decent amount of rain. We'd stayed on the campsite in Cannich the night before where my pal had a few more tins of Tennents than intended and compounded this error with a high protein porridge for his breakfast. Literally 10 yards short of the first summit cairn a combination of dodgy guts and dehydration struck, with him cramping up and getting an attack of the farts almost simultaneously. This doubtless horrified the two women we hadn't spotted having a snack on the other side of the cairn. 

We didn't hang around (unsurprisingly) and the next 20 mins basically consisted of him bending over to try to stretch out his cramps whilst involuntarily farting almost non-stop. I did try to ask if he was alright through tears of laughter a couple of times tbf. Of course I'd forgotten to put sun cream on, so I fried like a fucking vampire. A couple of elements of farce on an otherwise magnificent walk.

Who needs some 12 hour, cloud level ridge walk: here's the view from the trig of a total diddy hill (Saint Blane's - 123 metres) on Bute today:

IMG_20210628_142658.thumb.jpg.89eda0673ab3bf615b9467f72a0f1133.jpg

Barely fifteen minutes up and down, although it was a near vertical grass slope which was enough for me to twinge a groin muscle on it.