Hillwalking Thread

9 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Landranger? I had you down as serious walker too. 

Haha! I bought a job lot when I started out years back and still use them for planning stuff. The route maps I print out are 1:25k Explorer or Superwalker and my actual favourites are Harvey Ultramap XT40 which are very practical on the hill and a perfect scale for me, but they only cover popular areas (where I don't go that often).

38 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Cheers to both. Sgurr Gaoith looks interesting, will likely do that or Creag Meagaidh, that corrie does look nice. Would you expect snow to still be lying at this time of year? I've a suspicion that would put off my wife (and anything significant would likely do the same to me tbf).

I haven't been past the hills in that area for a couple of weeks but I think it is highly likely that there will be some snow patches at least (pretty normal in May).  That said, assuming decent weather, snow patches on Sgurr Gaoith are unlikely to be a big deal as it is a gradual ascent onto the plateau and then a straightforward walk over. You would always be able to turn back. 

On Meagaidh, the climb up from the upper Coire to "the Window" could be a bit dodgy if it was iced up near the top as it is a steep exit and if memory serves, it can cornice. As I said before, if you set out and walked into Coire Ardair but then didn't fancy the look of the climb, you'd have had a really nice walk of around 10km and one of the great lunch spots

120272168_10157887685784118_817124684812

Beasting hot day in the Cairngorms today. Got last parking place at Linn of Dee at 8am and I believe road was closed soon after.

Up Càrn a' Mhaim but plan to head onto Macdui and Derry Cairngorm binned in favour of chilling on the first summit for an hour and a dip in the Lui instead.

20210529_122559.jpg

20210529_122618.jpg

On 16/08/2020 at 22:24, derrybiy said:

For the last few years I've been wanting to go hillwalking every other week in the summer and something has always came up to ruin that. Due to illness I did only my second munro in at least a year on Friday.  I thought it would be best to pick an easy one I've not done yet so went for Ben Lomond. I'm still trying to judge whether that was a mistake or not. 

The first hour was one of the worst I've had. I've done 45 munros and never been bothered by midges for more than a few minutes but this was constant and being absolutely covered wherever skin was showing. I'd wrongly assumed because I'd never been affected before that I was one of those rare people that don't get bitten but now I know differently. I didn't take any repellant and didn't want to put a coat, trousers and a face mask on in 21 degrees so stuck it out until higher up in the slight wind. I couldn't outwalk them quickly either because I was breathing out my arse. The other annoyance was the hundreds of people there as I'd left it slightly later than usual and decided to go to I'm assuming is the second busiest munro. I did know this before I went and it wouldn't have bothered me so much if it wasnt for the midges.

Anyway further up the midges were away and I got my first good inversion.  This twinned with the fact I know I'm capable of going walking again means it was probably all worth it. It also means I don't need to be jealous reading this thread. It's not an exaggeration to say I've over 100 bites on my legs and arms but I've now bought a long sleeve shirt, net hat and smidge cream for next time. My plan was to do a few on my week off starting with an easy but busy one knowing I can do a more enjoyable and quiet one later. I might see how I recover from the bites whilst waiting on my new gear getting delivered first.

20200814_133921.jpg

FWIW I thought I was going to get back into hillwalking after the above but I started university as well as working full time and a lot of other things so I only managed 3 munros in 2020.

On 29/05/2021 at 15:42, Day of the Lords said:

Ben Vorlich today to today up everything south of the Great Glen. Unexpected flag so pretty shit views. Was about 3.5 hours car to car - couldn't be fucked hanging about to see if it would clear 20210529_100017.jpg20210529_102138.jpgScreenshot_20210529-150125_Chrome.jpg

This was my first munro of 2021 yesterday too so I may have seen you. I managed it in about 5.5 hours so you probably passed me looking like I'd regretted going.  I was at the top at around 11 and the views were much the same. When I got back to Dundee there was complete sunshine but if it had been like that during the walk I'd have struggled more.

All I've learnt from yesterday is either hillwalking is a lot more popular since I was out more in 2019 or the munros I'm now doing further away from Dundee / the A9 are more popular. I had a mixture of feeling it's good to see people enjoying what we have access to in Scotland and why can't all these people stay away when I'm out so I can enjoy the feeling of isolation. I've now got about 8-10 mid week days for hillwaking this year so hopefully it's less busy then.

1 minute ago, derrybiy said:

FWIW I thought I was going to get back into hillwalking after the above but I started university as well as working full time and a lot of other things so I only managed 3 munros in 2020.

This was my first munro of 2021 yesterday too so I may have seen you. I managed it in about 5.5 hours so you probably passed me looking like I'd regretted going.  I was at the top at around 11 and the views were much the same. When I got back to Dundee there was complete sunshine but if it had been like that during the walk I'd have struggled more.

All I've learnt from yesterday is either hillwalking is a lot more popular since I was out more in 2019 or the munros I'm now doing further away from Dundee / the A9 are more popular. I had a mixture of feeling it's good to see people enjoying what we have access to in Scotland and why can't all these people stay away when I'm out so I can enjoy the feeling of isolation. I've now got about 8-10 mid week days for hillwaking this year so hopefully it's less busy then.

I almost certainly would have passed you. I think I was on the top at about 9:50am, got back on the dam road about 10:30. I would have seen you on the way down - green t-shirt, blue shorts.

It's generally a busy hill being a munro relatively easy to access from Glasgow. The A82 was nuts though, did you see the layby for An Caisteal on the way back? Holy f**k, absolutely stowed out 😂

4 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I almost certainly would have passed you. I think I was on the top at about 9:50am, got back on the dam road about 10:30. I would have seen you on the way down - green t-shirt, blue shorts.

It's generally a busy hill being a munro relatively easy to access from Glasgow. The A82 was nuts though, did you see the layby for An Caisteal on the way back? Holy f**k, absolutely stowed out 😂

You would have passed when I was at my worst so I can't remember you or anyone else sticking out😂 I was in grey shorts and long sleeve black t shirt. I'd put photos up but there the same as yours.

Yeah I did notice that and I think a few other places looking packed. I'm hoping mid weeks and if I can get up early enough will make it better.

One thing I forgot to mention is I'm going to pay more attention and save up munros that you can do a fair bit of on a bike for later. Walking an hour or two on a decent road or path is quite annoying when better informed people cycle past you.

As much as I can I'm trying to avoid anything on the A85/82 this year.

Linn of Dee was hoaching yesterday but people tend to fan out from there so it's fine. 

Loads of folk with bags of drink headed to Bob Scott's. I imagine it was like T in the Park last night.

I'm taking pals up the Tarmachan Ridge in July so probably hellish early start and a clockwise route would be best. 

3 minutes ago, derrybiy said:

You would have passed when I was at my worst so I can't remember you or anyone else sticking out😂 I was in grey shorts and long sleeve black t shirt. I'd put photos up but there the same as yours.

Yeah I did notice that and I think a few other places looking packed. I'm hoping mid weeks and if I can get up early enough will make it better.

One thing I forgot to mention is I'm going to pay more attention and save up munros that you can do a fair bit of on a bike for later. Walking an hour or two on a decent road or path is quite annoying when better informed people cycle past you.

The only folk I remember visibly hating life on the way down were a couple of lads in football shirts and a boy just behind them in a white t-shirt that looked like he was regretting every single life choice that led him to this point. It's an OK hill but one I probably won't repeat and definitely one for the "thank f**k it's out of the way file".

MTBs are pretty handy for a lot of hills, especially the Cairngorms. Derry Lodge is a fairly easy cycle in for about 3.5 miles from where you can do loads of hills, before a glorious virtual freewheel back to Linn of Dee. 

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

As much as I can I'm trying to avoid anything on the A85/82 this year.

Linn of Dee was hoaching yesterday but people tend to fan out from there so it's fine. 

Loads of folk with bags of drink headed to Bob Scott's. I imagine it was like T in the Park last night.

I'm taking pals up the Tarmachan Ridge in July so probably hellish early start and a clockwise route would be best. 

"Fortunately" all my remaining munros are fairly remote and/or pretty tough days. I've ended up doing a lot of the eastern munros again as my bro-in-law has got the bug, but i'll be avoiding Lawers, Crianlarich and Glencoe like the plague until next year probably

After 5 weeks of sitting in beer gardens making up for lost time I finally got myself out to Ben Chonzie, nothing spectacular by any means and an absolute cakewalk. Convinced that it'll be the easiest munro by  a long shot, back on the road 3 hours after I set off. Up to 24 munros now.

Legs are still feeling it a bit today to be fair but hopefully manage a few others in before I head down to London in a few weeks time. If this weather holds I'll be laughing.

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn

Back from a fantastic weekend in the far north - it's one of my very favourite areas and to me stands up with Torridon, Skye or anywhere else for mountain scenery.

I knew I was in for a good time when Stac Pollaidh was in this form as I drove past on Thursday night

DSC03616.thumb.jpg.e79e73650b5735c44a45ea303bba9326.jpg

My plan for Friday had been to Kayak along Loch Glencoul and do Beinn Leoid and a couple of other hills and camp the night at Glencoul Bothy but after getting up at the crack of dawn, faffing about in Kylesku for 45 mins getting the Kayak ready and setting off, the wind on the (sea) loch was mental and much higher than forecast and so after 30 mins of battling against it at 2Km/h - I binned it and paddled back - annoying.

But as consolation prizes go, Quinaig probably can't be beaten - one of the finest mountains in the country and one that would be a total honeypot if it was further south. This has been top of my to-do list for a while and to do it in perfect weather (there wasn't even any wind on the summits) made this one of the best days I've had on the hill for years. There is a lot of up and down, but if you like ridge walking, it should be on the list. From a distance:

DSC03653.thumb.jpg.81fb22c395e3a34267cf3f8190a48e2b.jpg

From the final summit:

PXL_20210528_104342901.thumb.jpg.8d7c64604eb88a74a3ad58dbb061a87c.jpg

After a day in (for me) ridiculous heat, I braved the cast of NC500 arseholes at the Kylesku hotel in exchange for a cold pint overlooking the (now calm) loch.

The next day I went for hills - Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh that I knew were a slog and not the best up here but as they are the furthest north mountains in Scotland, and I fancied seeing that view. Cranstackie was ok - it had a cairn right on the edge of a cliff and the views over to Fionaven were fantastic. Spionnaidh was a bit of a moonscape but any hill where you can see Orkney and the Outer Hebrides from one place is worth it.

The end of Scotland from Beinn Spoonnaidh:

DSC03667.thumb.jpg.ee36a36eed2735b353abac28e1829fb9.jpg

I spent the night at the campsite at Scourie which is a great wee place for sunset watching

PXL_20210529_205043878.thumb.jpg.94247300a98955ebb7d139ed2b39c4d0.jpg

Sunday was Arkle - another brilliant mountain that is quiet because it's a long way from most of us. The temp sensor on my pack was registering 28 degrees and with no clouds, I was baking. It's the most Scottish moan ever - but there are days where it is too hot to be in the hills and this was one of them. I ended up drinking over 3L water which is crazy but the walk itself was brilliant. After the initial climb (a miserable slog in the heat but would be fine normally), you get onto the rocky part and another brilliant ridge walk - nothing scary and no handwork needed but I'd imagine vertigo sufferers would hate it.

DSC03682.thumb.jpg.66e3d8ef5fe099f10b03740d606ab0e9.jpg

PXL_20210530_120244188.thumb.jpg.da5d8413bf467365eae3b58643ffc3a2.jpg

DSC03686.thumb.jpg.2fe3849408e5f45e483f8e3680130e06.jpg

I had planned another walk today (probably a wander past the bone caves en route to Breabag) - but I was really suffering last night after being cooked all day - and I felt no better this morning, so I took a picture of the best bridge in the world at Kylesku and headed home.

DSC03654.thumb.jpg.4252eeb83a2c23d3a43b0f74bf1c4bcc.jpg

On 29/05/2021 at 15:42, Day of the Lords said:

Ben Vorlich today to today up everything south of the Great Glen. Unexpected flag so pretty shit views. Was about 3.5 hours car to car - couldn't be fucked hanging about to see if it would clear 20210529_100017.jpg20210529_102138.jpgScreenshot_20210529-150125_Chrome.jpg

Great milestone to get to.

But also - what have you got against Knoydart?? :)

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Great milestone to get to.

But also - what have you got against Knoydart?? :)

I've just never got round to sorting a trip there, however as I'm getting nearer the end I've been thinking about it. Ladhar Bheinn is a possible for my last one, but rather than do LB and MB from Inverie I've been looking at the maps for alternatives. It looks marginally feasible to do them both from the dams at the end of Loch Quoich (we're planning to camp there for Sgurr na Ciche and the other two after a kayak in) by heading west past Lochan nam Breac to Mam Unndalain  then taking a vague and probably awful route up what appears to be Luinne Bheinn's east ridge, then head to Meall Buidhe. The difficult lies after that - I've heard there's a vague route off Sgurr Sgeithe down eventually to Carnoch, from there I think we can basically follow a path by the Carnoch river which disappears a mile short of linking back up with the outward path. The other option is to head up Ben Aden's NW ridge which although rough as f**k, is apparently do able with a couple of minor shit-yourself-moments. 

The fact that I've seen literally no one else post up this route anywhere is a tad off-putting though. 

My pal wants to kayak across Loch Hourn from Arnisdale for Ladhar Bheinn. My views on doing that on an inflatable are very much in "f**k that" territory.

25 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

You can’t half take a photo Swello, I’ll give you that!

Genuinely not a humble brag - but I can't really - I just end up a lot of places where it's not really possible to take a bad one :)