Hillwalking Thread

Beinn Narnain today, went up the Cruag nam Miseag way for the first experience of a rocky ascent with a mild bit of scrambling. Realise it's f**k all next to lot of what's in this thread but I really enjoyed the challenge of it, despite the burning calves from being steep the whole way.

Decided to just head back rather than doing Beinn Ime as well as we don't think we're ready for pushing on for a second ascent having dropped down again, although coming back down that endlessly winding path back to the car park at the end we were wishing we had; cannot be arsed with that tedious section again for going back to do Beinn Ime any time soon.

As ever the phone camera doesn't do it justice but cracking view in all directions, particularly looking down Loch Long and seeing all the way to Ailsa Craig.

20210517_120830.thumb.jpg.049b48ddaac015fe88e63a3027f4c38d.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Beinn Narnain today, went up the Cruag nam Miseag way for the first experience of a rocky ascent with a mild bit of scrambling. Realise it's f**k all next to lot of what's in this thread but I really enjoyed the challenge of it, despite the burning calves from being steep the whole way.

Decided to just head back rather than doing Beinn Ime as well as we don't think we're ready for pushing on for a second ascent having dropped down again, although coming back down that endlessly winding path back to the car park at the end we were wishing we had; cannot be arsed with that tedious section again for going back to do Beinn Ime any time soon.

As ever the phone camera doesn't do it justice but cracking view in all directions, particularly looking down Loch Long and seeing all the way to Ailsa Craig.

That's a brutal b*****d of a climb by any standards - sea level to 900m in a couple of KM? I don't remember it very fondly other than it was over quickly :)

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Wouldn't describe it as f**k all.  Was looking at my walks blog the other day and hadn't realised the pair of Munros here are about 1400m of ascent. Thats into Ben Nevis territory so even doing one is an effort given it's straight up from a sea loch 

To be clear I was more meaning the extent of scrambling you have to do is presumably f**k all next to some other rocky munros as opposed to the whole walk, but still encouraged to see two people a lot more experienced than me saying it's a big effort :lol:

Seeing @Dunning1874's Narnian post above and quite a few more recently got me thinking about what hills) folk should do if they want to  move on from the starter Munros that we've all done (Lawers, Vorlich(s), Lomond, etc, etc)  once they can begin to navigate reasonably - so I thought it might be worth suggesting some medium-difficulty munros to give some inspiration.

These are in no particular order and some are very slightly more obscure but I'll try to give a reason why I think they are a decent shout. I'm going to pick "pointy" mountains mainly - although I could quite happily do part 2 with big plateaux instead or some hard difficulty ones to aim for in future.. 

1) Tarmachan Ridge 

2_12_5l.JPG

Why?: This one is maybe an obvious choice but the reason that I think it's a great "next" Munro is that it contains a lot of what the "big rounds" have but in a very manageable day given the high start. Most importantly, it is a great way to get a bit of exposure on a ridge for the first time - check out the head for heights before you really need it.

2) Ben Lui (from Dalrigh nr Tyndrum) **summer conditions only**

image.jpg?width=640

Why?: This is one to aspire to once you've got a few under your belt. From this side, it's in the premier league of Munros. In the winter, it's a proper mountaineering expedition and  the central gully can be quite quite dangerous but on a nice Summer or Autumn day, it's a great way to get some scrambling practice in. This is a long, very long, steep climb but you won't care until the walk out. There is a vastly inferior route from the other side that lets you get another (non-descript) Munro - but this is the one.

3) Ben Cruachan/Stob Daimh

00cfd97df09516652654263ee99772e5.jpg

Why? This is like the big brother of the Tarmachan Ridge - a brilliant Horseshoe ridge with no real navigational challenges. This walk has about 1400m of ascent, so it is a proper tiring day out but it is interesting all the way. 

4) Ben Alder (via the Long Leaches)

pano2.thumb.jpg.f298d8dec35c209a475c6dc068fb14cd.jpg

Why? If you want to try combining a wild camp with an interesting but difficult to reach hill - this is a good shout. The approach from Dalwhinnie (you can do this from the Inverness train) to Culra bothy is very easy going but long, so perfect for backpacking and once you've offloaded the gear, the scramble up the Long Leaches onto Alder is good fun but not difficult. It can also be done comfortably in a day as a bike/hike which is another useful thing to get into as there are lots of hill days where a bike makes it easier.

5) Bla Bheinn

4_8_1l.JPG

Why? You want to go climbing on Skye, right? (answer: yes, yes you do). This is not an easy hill by mainland standards but I think it is probably the best Munro to do on Skye first before setting foot on the Black Cuillin. There are a couple of bits of navigation needed, there is some very mild scrambling (less mild if you do the South Top) but it is relatively straightforward. Also - one of the very best mountains in the country and well worth planning a weekend in Skye around.

I did all of these in my "First 50" and I'd imagine that anyone that did all of the above would be massively hooked as I was/am....happy to hear other suggestions too...

Agree with all of the above. Would add in.

1. Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arete.

Yes the climb up CMD is a calf burner which will make you wish you had never started but its gives you a side of the Ben most folk never see and it's another good introduction to exposure and getting hands on rock without too much difficulty 

2. It can't all be pointy and rocky. You need to be able to do long east coast days too. The White Mounth round is a long day but you get 5 Munros for your trouble with none of this up and down nonsense. Good intro to the Cairngorms (I know it's not the Cairngorms but lets not be pedantic) but with much less chance of getting into navigational difficulty.

Both of these are strictly summer only options you are going to want good conditions for the mounth. Once you are committed beyond Lochnagar you really need to keep going

Screenshot_20210517-223339_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210517-223916_Facebook.jpg

Decided to head out on Sunday for our first hill in almost a year, so went for Meall Buidhe near Killin.  Great wee drive up Glen Lyon which we're now planning a revisit to do our first wild camp soon.  Bit boggy for the first half but pretty straightforward and ideal for getting the legs working again. 

Amazing views from the top, from Glencoe, across Ben Nevis and over to the Cairngorms.  Could almost see Kilvrecht campsite at the south shore of Loch Rannoch, not been there for a couple of years but thinking of a wee trip soon to do Schiehallion.

Edited by the aggressive beggar

Great selections there. I'd thrown in Slioch. A single Munro but long enough and with enough ascent to be physically taxing with a good mix of easy terrain, steep scree and a nice ridge walk out to Sgurr Fhuar-Thuill before the descent. It's also one of the finest mountains in the country. It's was my 8th Munro and I've yet to surpass it 233 munros later, although Blaven via the South Ridge came close.

I've written down some of those so I don't have to trawl through the thread looking for them. Ben Cruachan at the top of the list since it was described as Tarmachan's big brother. I did that last year and is probably my favourite ever walk.

I think I did Liathach and 5 Sisters in my first 10. Certainly first 20. 
I did them on consecutive days when you are too young and stupid to know what you can't do. Nearly passed out on Sgùrr nan Spàinnteach from exhaustion
I'll need to do the sisters again. I did them in 2014 at the end of a week in Kintail with tired legs and saw f**k-all other than cloud. Bealach an Lapain twice in consecutive days was bad enough but the succession of infuriating false tops before Sgurr na Ciste Dhuibh was totally spirit crushing. I'd definitely do them on a clear day with fresher legs

47 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Ben Cruachan probably my favourite walk to date as well, cracking wee hill with some really nice views depending on how you get the weather. All hills in that area are nice.

I just liked it because you get to climb a ladder onto a massive dam :)

Ben Ledi was a good opener for me today. A few wee thigh burning bits but not too bad. The hill legs are back. You really miss that scenery and feeling of isolation (in a good way) when not heading up anywhere so it felt amazing being back in the great outdoors again. I'm sure I'll be a bit stiff tomorrow but it's well worth it.20210518_124056.jpeg20210518_111328.jpeg20210518_124140.jpeg

2 minutes ago, microdave said:

Ben Ledi was a good opener for me today. A few wee thigh burning bits but not too bad. The hill legs are back. You really miss that scenery and feeling of isolation (in a good way) when not heading up anywhere so it felt amazing being back in the great outdoors again. I'm sure I'll be a bit stiff tomorrow but it's well worth it.20210518_124056.jpeg20210518_111328.jpeg20210518_124140.jpeg

Top pic is a cracker mate.

6 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Anyone got any recommendations for what to do in the Newtonmore kind of area? Have a weekend away booked and keen to get up a hill. Creag Meagaidh seems to be a popular one in that area - feasible for someone with some, but not a ton, of experience?

It depends on how far you want to go. Meagaidh is a great day - even if you just take a wander into Coire Ardair and head back out, it's been a good day.  

The hills nearest Newtonmore in the Monadh Liath aren't classics in my opinion - not ones I'd really recommend. On the other hand, you've got the 'Gorms on your doorstep - so you can take your pick (and I'd pick Sgurr Gaoith from Feshie :) )

Coire Ardair is the interesting bit. The rest of the round is a bit round and not hugely interesting but a real sense of open space. If you have no ambition to complete them all or build up numbers would do a there and back of Creag Megaidh via the  window.

I really enjoyed Càrn Dearg and the approach up Glen Banchor was lovely. The rest of the round, like everything between Newtonmore and Spean bridge is a soggy lumpy let down though.

I agree about heading east. Even low level walks of Glen Feshie are fantastic and easily doable from Newtonmore itself in a longish day.

On 19/05/2021 at 11:42, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Ben Ledi is one I've been meaning to do again for a while, was touching -10C last time I was up it. Visibility was shocking as well.

I did it with my old man in September 2019. Couldn't see a bloody thing. Was a bit unnerving at times walking through the mist and hearing a Stags call out to each other. Quite a few false summits as well. Actually nice to see @microdave photos as I haven't seen the view from the top before haha.