Hillwalking Thread

31 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'll be shitfesting my way up Glas Maol.

Don't think the Fisherfield round is a good idea after training on Balgay hill for 6 months 

That's the main thing that I'm worried about - I've got my usual plans for big days and really remote stuff but I'm nowhere near as fit as I normally would be by this time of year....I'll be planning an extra hour into my walks :)

What tricky ones have you got left - any highland ones?
Aye, I've got Beinn Bhuidhe and Vorlich (Lomond one) left east of the Great Glen, the other 41 are NW Highlands which is pleasing. I've got 10 days around Invergarry to pick up the Glenfinnan 3, then kayaking across Loch Quoich for the 4 rough bounds munros. Hoping for the Mullardoch round either early June or late July as well.

I'm on school holidays so would like to get one done on Friday when it's hopefully less busy but struggling to find a companion for that so will probably chance my arms and try somewhere on Saturday. Just try and get their really early. Limits me therefore to ones not too far away but I'll have a think.

13 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Aye, I've got Beinn Bhuidhe and Vorlich (Lomond one) left east of the Great Glen, the other 41 are NW Highlands which is pleasing. I've got 10 days around Invergarry to pick up the Glenfinnan 3, then kayaking across Loch Quoich for the 4 rough bounds munros. Hoping for the Mullardoch round either early June or late July as well.

Have you done Cheesecake and Lurg Mhor? They are usually in folk's last 50 munros :)

Planning to do Ben Lawers on Tuesday. Hoping midweek'll make it a bit less busy.

On a considerably shorter walk, I headed up Dunrod Hill off the Greenock Cut today. My phone camera doesn't do justice to how good the view is, but it's glorious to have the Arrochar Alps in one direction and Cowal, Bute & Arran in the other.

The Clyde Riviera > wherever you live

20210414_133725.thumb.jpg.7e683e0b37c33e8569d9e27b14f57fc6.jpg

20210414_133742.thumb.jpg.328c40622c509c41ed65c6a5be25df1b.jpg

11 hours ago, Swello said:

Have you done Cheesecake and Lurg Mhor? They are usually in folk's last 50 munros :)

Aye did them in 2018 during a week in Lochcarron. I was totally wrecked by that point, having had three straight days of MTB, road biking and a total shambles of an attempt at the central Fannichs. I think it had pished down the night before so the track was muddy AF. Shite for downhills on the MTB and torture on the uphills. We got views off Lurg Mhor but the clag dropped on us for Cheesecake, a shame as it seemed to have a nice summit ridge. Did you bike these or walk the whole thing? 

50 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Did you bike these or walk the whole thing? 

Walked it - but we pitched the tents on Bealach Bhernais on the way over Beinn Tharsuinn - and then did the other 2 munros in there the next day (which was a miracle based on how gubbed I was after Lurg Mhor) before walking out. 

In my ambitious epics list, I've got a plan to packraft into Pait Lodge along Loch Monar from Strathfarrar and do the scrambly east ridge of Lurg Mhor as we never did that top as we were too knackered...

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Walked it - but we pitched the tents on Bealach Bhernais on the way over Beinn Tharsuinn - and then did the other 2 munros in there the next day (which was a miracle based on how gubbed I was after Lurg Mhor) before walking out. 

In my ambitious epics list, I've got a plan to packraft into Pait Lodge along Loch Monar from Strathfarrar and do the scrambly east ridge of Lurg Mhor as we never did that top as we were too knackered...

That's impressive. f**k knows how folk can walk in, do those hills and face the same route out in a day. Bendronaig bothy is pretty cool though. I'd be way too tempted by that 😂

I have a few epics (looseley) planned for this year. Ultimately I fancy a bash at the Mullardochs in a day. It's a batshit mental undertaking but I'm going to try a few of Dan Bailey's nonsense routes in preparation and see how I physically manage those. One of my pals tried it and managed 11. He was absolutely gone after Mam Sodhail and just couldn't face the detour to Beinn Fhionnlaidh. Poor c**t, he was absolutely gutted afterwards.

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

Planning the white mounth munros this weekend. Any tips welcome...

Plenty snow and ice still above 800m around there although the good thing about that round is nothing to fall off 

And go early if you are going from Loch Muic they will be closing the road there now once car park full

Edited by invergowrie arab

Ended up going up Ben Lawers today then coupling it in with Meall Corranaich and Meall a’ Choire Leith as well as obviously Ben Ghlas.

CAA271BC-DE67-4DBF-905B-4A8376BCF859.jpeg

Made sure to be off Ben Lawers before most people will have set off so was on the way to Meall Corranaich by 9am.  A shame about the clouds that came in about the back of 11 making the views a bit worse from Meall a’ Choire Leith.

Excluding the shite trudge along the road for about 3 miles at the end of the walk it went about as well as it could’ve and as far as 4 munros in a single route go that’ll be as easy as it gets. Around 1800m ascent and roughly 11 miles in total. Good to be back out.

Lawers car park not actually as busy as I was expecting when I came back either, just about full but not quite. Will probably be absolutely heaving tomorrow mind you. 

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn

11 minutes ago, Empty It said:

The missus wants to do Ben Lomond and insists it won't be busy, what time would this start to get pretty busy, if we were to get there for 8am would it still be heaving?

At 8am, you'll be earlier than most - but it's Ben Lomond at the end of lockdown in decent weather, so it will still be busy compared to most other hills - and you'll be passing an absolute horde on the way back down.

27 minutes ago, Empty It said:

The missus wants to do Ben Lomond and insists it won't be busy, what time would this start to get pretty busy, if we were to get there for 8am would it still be heaving?

It will 100% be busy. Rowardennan was full by 10am today and cars on verge being ticketed.

8am should be fine though. 

It will 100% be busy. Rowardennan was full by 10am today and cars on verge being ticketed.
8am should be fine though. 
Aye shes being told to bolt, we shall do it at a better time when it's actually planned rather than an off the cuff idea, it's the dogs first Munro that's why we are choosing an easy one to see what shes like.