Hillwalking Thread

On 29/12/2020 at 11:52, Archie McSquackle said:

With the lockdown and me being unable to leave Glasgow (or 5 miles from the boundary for exercise), I'm obviously a bit stuck for hills to go walking in. Does anyone have any suggestions for good family walks in Glasgow in parks or similar? I live in the north-west of the city so have probably done most of the options near me but am keen to get out and try somewhere new. Not looking for anything overly strenuous to be honest as I won't be able to talk the rest of the family into it.

A few others that you might well already know about but I don’t think have been mentioned:

Linn Park (our family favourite - spent a lot of time there during the first lockdown, big and lots of different parts to explore).

Rouken Glen (the main park is pretty busy, but much more space to yourself if you cross the river).

Alexandra Park (took the kids there today, lots of space for a wander around).

Queens Park (great views of the city, can get a bit busy though).

Cathkin Braes

The Kilpatrick Hills (Old Kilpatrick station to Loch Humphrey is a decent family walk with good views - planning to do it tomorrow).

Interesting story of two walkers being fined for breaking travel restrictions by going from Argyll&Bute to Highland

I err on the side of thinking that people driving around the country hillwalking should get a bang in the puss and a hefty fine. 

But... Altnafeadh is only 7 miles from Argyll&Bute so it's possible they thought they were OK. That said it's 20 miles by road.

https://www-pressandjournal-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/2785612/walkers-fined-following-glencoe-rescue-after-breaching-covid-travel-guidelines/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16097820498880&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pressandjournal.co.uk%2Ffp%2Fnews%2Fhighlands%2F2785612%2Fwalkers-fined-following-glencoe-rescue-after-breaching-covid-travel-guidelines%2F

35 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Interesting story of two walkers being fined for breaking travel restrictions by going from Argyll&Bute to Highland

I err on the side of thinking that people driving around the country hillwalking should get a bang in the puss and a hefty fine. 

But... Altnafeadh is only 7 miles from Argyll&Bute so it's possible they thought they were OK. That said it's 20 miles by road.

https://www-pressandjournal-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/2785612/walkers-fined-following-glencoe-rescue-after-breaching-covid-travel-guidelines/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16097820498880&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pressandjournal.co.uk%2Ffp%2Fnews%2Fhighlands%2F2785612%2Fwalkers-fined-following-glencoe-rescue-after-breaching-covid-travel-guidelines%2F

Unless you are very experienced I don't think it's the best idea to go out on a snowy/ icy day in the afternoon, just asking for trouble. I've long thought that the Mountain Rescue should charge for their services at least something to help cover their costs like £200 a rescue might make people think twice about pushing themselves in difficult conditions. 

41 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't know here exactly the boy got injured but descending either Stob Dearg or Stob Na Broige has a couple of sections that would be fairly nasty under snow/ice from what I remember. It's important to stress though that the fine wasn't for getting MRT out, but for breaking the travel guidelines. Glad to see it tbh. 

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Unless you are very experienced I don't think it's the best idea to go out on a snowy/ icy day in the afternoon, just asking for trouble. I've long thought that the Mountain Rescue should charge for their services at least something to help cover their costs like £200 a rescue might make people think twice about pushing themselves in difficult conditions. 

This has long been a bone of contention in hillwalking circles and tbh the prevailing wisdom is that charging folk for rescues would be a bad idea which should be filed in the same bin as forcing walkers to take out insurance. Almost all MRT members are opposed to charging for rescues as they don't want to create a situation where someone in deep shite on a mountain maybe thinks twice about phoning them as a result and tries to get themselves off in unsafe fashion. 

42 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

2 things struck me about this when I read it earlier - my first reaction was that driving from Oban to Glencoe didn't feel like a huge blowing of the rules in the grand scheme of things (I always expect these stories to be folk from a city I guess).

The 2nd thing is that if you're going to bend the rules, don't do something outwith your ability (and the Buachaille in the winter is outside a lot of people's abilities) and if you're going to do something you're not capable of, don't need rescued in the middle of the plague. And if you're going to get rescued, don't be responsible for a Mountain Rescue guy getting hurt. I think the last part was ultimately led to them getting fined.. 

I guess where I lack sympathy is no one "needs" to be doing BEM - mental health, physical fitness or otherwise.

I get folk in built up areas, I'm one, can go a bit stir crazy. I'm probably more sympathetic to someone in Falkirk, Inverclyde or West Lothian driving 20 /30 miles to the Campsies or Pentlands than folk from A&B being 2 miles the wrong side of the line. Its not like they are short of options in Argyll. 

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I guess where I lack sympathy is no one "needs" to be doing BEM - mental health, physical fitness or otherwise.

I get folk in built up areas, I'm one, can go a bit stir crazy. I'm probably more sympathetic to someone in Falkirk, Inverclyde or West Lothian driving 20 /30 miles to the Campsies or Pentlands than folk from A&B being 2 miles the wrong side of the line. Its not like they are short of options in Argyll. 

Exactly. In fact there are many better mountains in A&B than the BeM route. I suspect this was purely a bagging exercise which went tits up. 

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

It's a nice looking jacket and fits well but I've ordered another jacket for half the price off decathlon too, if I'm wearing Chinese made stuff it might as well be cheap junk. If that fits then the Alpkit one is going back, and the search for a domestically made one continues (I suspect for a few multiples in price!).

After a bit more digging on their website they make lots of ESG noises about how great and sustainable they are but the range of stuff that they actually make in the UK is quite modest, mostly bags. Pain in the arse. 

I actually ordered a new winter rucksack the day we discussed this before. 

I'm mildly seething you got yours first 😂

6 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

It's a nice looking jacket and fits well but I've ordered another jacket for half the price off decathlon too, if I'm wearing Chinese made stuff it might as well be cheap junk. If that fits then the Alpkit one is going back, and the search for a domestically made one continues (I suspect for a few multiples in price!).

Keela are about the only UK made brand that I can think of that are reasonably priced and not incredibly niche. 

I've a fair bit of Jöttnar stuff which is UK deigned, but China made (which I've no issue with in terms of quality).

8 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Jacket arrived, Made In China on the label.

Wish you hadn't noticed until you'd been hiking virtuously for a season or two :)

The amount of stuff that says "Designed in <High Cost Country>"  (sometimes with a flag) and then you look inside a seam and it says "Made in a North Korean Sweat Shop. By disabled kids" in 4 point text is really quite annoying.

Happened to me with a hideously expensive (and admittedly brilliant) pair of Fjallraven trousers - swedish branding, nordic pricing - made in Vietnam.

35 minutes ago, Swello said:

Wish you hadn't noticed until you'd been hiking virtuously for a season or two :)

The amount of stuff that says "Designed in <High Cost Country>"  (sometimes with a flag) and then you look inside a seam and it says "Made in a North Korean Sweat Shop. By disabled kids" in 4 point text is really quite annoying.

Happened to me with a hideously expensive (and admittedly brilliant) pair of Fjallraven trousers - swedish branding, nordic pricing - made in Vietnam.

I don't get this. 99% of anything Goretex is going to be made in China. Arguably the biggest premium brand Arcteryx shifted production to the Far East years ago (bar a few products).

FjallRaven have been open about where they make products for a long time. 

https://foxtrail.fjallraven.com/articles/tent-in-nature/

After a bit more digging on their website they make lots of ESG noises about how great and sustainable they are but the range of stuff that they actually make in the UK is quite modest, mostly bags. Pain in the arse. 

I recently got some winter trousers from Decathlon and must say they’re pretty good for the price, although the sizing is a bit dodgy.

I randomly checked my jackets the other day after reading this thread, my Montane featherlite down jacket was made in Vietnam.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Yeah I paid a fair bit for a Marmot winter coat 15 years back and to be fair it has served me well but it was made in Vietnam. Keela are another company I thought would be good to support as they're based in Glenrothes but same deal, extremely vague about where the stuff is actually made. 

There's a crowd in Skye making stuff whose name escapes me just now but it was pretty pricey and had so-so customer feedback.

Cioch are the Skye company. Ridiculously expensive and a bit traditional looking. 

As far as I was aware Keela still make all their gear in Glenrothes?

9 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I recently got some winter trousers from Decathlon and must say they’re pretty good for the price, although the sizing is a bit dodgy.

Decathlon's sizing is tremendous banter. Their stuff is made a labelled a size larger than it actually is in UK terms, ie a Medium is labelled a Large. As i found out the first time I bought a cycle top from them which felt like trying to get a party balloon on. Their stuff is excellent value though, especially the hillwalking clothing. 

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

This is from their "Pride in Manufacturing" bit. It seems a bit too careful not to say where their factory is, compared to explicitly saying the 'clothing hospital' is in the UK. 

That looks pretty legit, although I'm fucked if I'm taking a definitive position on this 😂

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

This is from their "Pride in Manufacturing" bit. It seems a bit too careful not to say where their factory is, compared to explicitly saying the 'clothing hospital' is in the UK. 

Fair play if I'm wrong. I have a pair of Munro sallopettes which are 100% made here. 

I'm not 100% against buying from the Far East, if the company puts due diligence in to their suppliers (inclusive of employee conditions). I've two old Patagucci jackets which have been repaired free of charge despite being made there. Not sure how my footprint would compare if if just chucked them and bought new twice. 

29 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

I don't get this. 99% of anything Goretex is going to be made in China. Arguably the biggest premium brand Arcteryx shifted production to the Far East years ago (bar a few products).

FjallRaven have been open about where they make products for a long time. 

https://foxtrail.fjallraven.com/articles/tent-in-nature/

The breeks that I got aren't goretex - they are Fjallraven's proprietary G1000 stuff and it was my own fault for making assumptions based on the pricing. 

I got caught out in a similar way with Optimus, another swedish brand. In a moment of stove geekery, I bought a SVEA 123 which is a 70 year old design and a bit of a work of art if you like that sort of thing. I had a couple of problems with it and I only found out by digging on the internet that they moved production to China some time back (at the cost of some quality) as it wasn't mentioned on the box and the stove says "Sweden" on it (the originals apparently said "made in Sweden"). If I had known that, I would have bought an original 2nd hand as they last for ever and cost the same.

Edited by Swello