Hillwalking Thread

1 minute ago, Snobot said:

There is (or at least was) shite everywhere. I stopped at Glascarnoch in August when it was really low to walk along the old road and it was absolutely disgusting next to the lay-by. My folks live quite near you by the sound of it and there were a lot of vans and associated shite (literally) on their dead end road.

NC 500 is a massive scam, hugely stretching infrastructure, encouraging dicks in fast cars to drive dangerously whilst the “organisers” give nothing back.

I'm further North. Next to the potholing Hedgecutters hideaway.

The only ones making £££ out of it are the petrol stations.

Honestly, in June, 5.00 till 9.00 sitting at the door with coffee and a pack of ciggies, I wouldn't see one vehicle.

Now it is quiet, but that's a question of degree. 

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:
What a miserable existence you must lead. Living in one of the most scenic parts of our country and your losing the rag about people visiting and taking pictures. I realise it’s not set up for large amounts of visitors and I sympathise that some of the visitors don’t respect the area, but again you have done nothing to claim any sort of ownership of it other than just living near it. 

Tbf folk living there didn't ask for the NC500 clusterfuck and it generates absolute buttons for the local economy. The disrespect and damage to the local environment has been particularly dreadful this year.

I did see some pictures of the damage left behind and I do sympathise, some people just don’t care. 

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Sutherland especially was a genuine backwater when I started going up there, even in summer - but now it's mental during the English holidays. 

OirishBhoy  doesn't get what 'Sutherland' means.

He can get Tae, the Angle.

35 minutes ago, Manifesto said:

OirishBhoy  doesn't get what 'Sutherland' means.

He can get Tae, the Angle.

I’ve been to every corner of Scotland enjoying the scenery, the walks and climbs. Grateful to have such a beautiful landscape within a few hours drive from my house. Thanks for thinking about me though.

Just you stick to shouting out your window at people from the central belt with the audacity to walk close to your house. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve been to every corner of Scotland enjoying the scenery, the walks and climbs. Grateful to have such a beautiful landscape within a few hours drive from my house. Thanks for thinking about me though.

Just you stick to shouting out your window at people from the central belt with the audacity to walk close to your house. 

?

My part of Scotland, is fairly new.

Sutherland as explained earlier in the page is South Land, f**k all to do with the likes of you.

And I'm originally from Argyll , which wasn't part of your Central Belt authority until 30 years afore Bannockburn.

Youz monks toe nails drinkers can get Tae..

Just now, Manifesto said:

?

My part of Scotland, is fairly new.

Sutherland as explained earlier in the page is South Land, f**k all to do with the likes of you.

And I'm originally from Argyll , which wasn't part of your Central Belt authority until 30 years afore Bannockburn.

Youz monks toe nails drinkers can get Tae..

😂 Away to your bed mate. 

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Wow, this conversation has fairly grown arms and legs. Started off with Irishbhoy's recounting of his experience and a few sympathetic back and forths to... let's just say a little bit less understanding.

Certainly did 😂 People hold some strong views around Covid restrictions which I suppose is fair enough during these times. 

16 minutes ago, microdave said:

Genuine question. How does the NC500 not put money into the local economy? I'd have thought folk would stay in local accomodation and eat out while they're there. That's certainly what I did.

The people who come and do the trip put money in to some degree (although much of the ethos seems to be do it as fast as possible in a self-contained way eg stock up the camper van in Inverness Tesco and park up for free and shite wherever you like along the way) but the people who invented the concept have done nothing other than milk it for all its worth and refuse to acknowledge the impact of their idea on fragile local infrastructure. Obviously people do use local services but there is a bad smell of people with no direct stake in the local area using it in a cynical way to make cash.

12 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Guy was asking my reasons for travelling and I told him I was headed for FW to go a walk. Was told that wasn’t a valid reason to be travelling such a distance and that the police have the powers to issue on the spot fines, but on this occasion if I turned back and headed home he wouldn’t do that.

What happened if you didn't turn back? You get a fine and the police let you carry on to bring the black death to Fort William?

17 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

What happened if you didn't turn back? You get a fine and the police let you carry on to bring the black death to Fort William?

No idea tbh, I didn’t actually think of that. I’m unsure what they would have done if I had just said I would take the fine and continue on my journey, I don’t think they had the powers to arrest me, they are probably assuming that getting pulled over and the threat of a fine is enough to make people turn round.

The police were actually quite sound (as sound as a police officer can be), and said they had been given the authority to dish out these fines but that was something they were trying to avoid. They already knew my address as it would have came up when they got my plates, and they knew I was a fair distance from my house.

If I had wanted to be a dick I could have said I was going to drop shopping off to an elderly relative and I don’t think there would have been anything they could have done to stop me. Maybe followed me around for the rest of the day as I went and picked up a shopping and dropped it off to a random persons house, but I don’t think that would have been worth the hassle tbh. 

I think a few posters on this sites head would have fell off if I came on and said i had done that. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 hour ago, microdave said:

Genuine question. How does the NC500 not put money into the local economy? I'd have thought folk would stay in local accomodation and eat out while they're there. That's certainly what I did.

Leave Inverness having been to Tesco, camp in lay-by for a night, back to Inverness.

Or do the loop as fast as can in a day competing with mates.

How there hasn’t been serious multi car accident I don’t know.

Last week some you tubers filmed and posted them emptying the shite container from camper van around a lay-by simply for likes.

Golspie community council footing bill for portaloos as council ones have been closed.

Leave Inverness having been to Tesco, camp in lay-by for a night, back to Inverness.
Or do the loop as fast as can in a day competing with mates.
How there hasn’t been serious multi car accident I don’t know.
Last week some you tubers filmed and posted them emptying the shite container from camper van around a lay-by simply for likes.
Golspie community council footing bill for portaloos as council ones have been closed.
It's such a shame that what could've been a real boost for the economy in a rural area is attracting tight wad arseholes behaving like that. I did it in June 2017 when the marketing of it was still fairly new and had a fantastic time. I'd love to do it again but not so sure if I want to now.

Surely part of the problem is the lack of infrastructure to develop the area as a destination over time as well. It's all very convenient to blame arseholes in tourers for stocking up in Inverness and 'adding nothing to the local economy' but if the only accomodation for 50 miles at a time is getting stowed out at ridiculously marked-up prices from June to September then what else do you expect is going to happen. 

When you look at *some* of the rates that local hospitality similarly cite on Skye all year round then it's easy to explain why folk will choose to dinghy local amenities and do as much as possible for themselves. To an extent destinations get the tourists that they deserve.

Edited by vikingTON