Hillwalking Thread

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

The weather forecast is looking a bit shitty for my trip to Arran which will probably restrict my options.

I don’t really fancy Goatfell  in +40 mph winds.

There is a good land rover walk of about an hour and half to Dunfin fort from Cnoc Doil, which is about 5 minutes out of Brodick  to Lamlash Rd ( with a car) on  the left hand side. You can just about turn, or there is a forest path down  to another land rover track which rises to bring you back to the start. Again about an hour's walking. Good views of Holy Island etc.  Enjoy

4 minutes ago, Stan Hope said:

intended to walk it a few weeks back, but the next weekend its forecast as dry, i'm going up Culter Fell, to those who have done both, how easier/ more difficult is it to climb than its near neighbour Tinto ?

It's a few years since I did Culter Fell but they are on a par: As I remember it the path on Tinto stands up better to wetness whereas Culter was a bit more grassy, 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

The Devil's Staircase is a piece of piss: the climb out of Bridge of Orchy to Inveroran was much worse (at least if you've just stopped at the pub for lunch and a couple of glorious pints of Schiehallion).

Aye I'd heard it wasn't difficult before I went but was still surprised how easy it was. Some views at the top though.

1 hour ago, Stan Hope said:

intended to walk it a few weeks back, but the next weekend its forecast as dry, i'm going up Culter Fell, to those who have done both, how easier/ more difficult is it to climb than its near neighbour Tinto ?

Culter Fell is a bit more of a rough hillwalk - a bit of a bigger challenge than Tinto (and much quieter) but nothing too bad - if you do the round of the other hills there, it's a decent walk but a bit more navigation required depending on how confident you are with a map & compass.

12 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I’ve booked to do the West Highland Way next year. It’s always been a bit of a bucket list thing so looking forward to it.

Has anyone done it before? Do you have advice on the best training to do? I want to be as fit as I can do I enjoy it so am thinking of adding in multi-day walks, hills in advance but is there anything else I should consider?

Be prepared for midges like you have never seen before

I never quite made it to the top of Goatfell today.

The wind made me turn back just before we reached the ridge but it was still a brilliant walk, easy enough for an idiot not to get lost and the rain stayed off until we got back to the car park.

Only passed 8 other people the whole walk.

I never quite made it to the top of Goatfell today.
The wind made me turn back just before we reached the ridge but it was still a brilliant walk, easy enough for an idiot not to get lost and the rain stayed off until we got back to the car park.
Only passed 8 other people the whole walk.

Hope it hasn't put you off and the determination is still there to go back and complete at a later date.

Some of those 8 will have been the wife and friends of one of the boys we lost earlier in the year. They were doing the walk for The Anthony Nolan Trust and one of the boys girls painted some stones with John's greatest loves which I hope will be there next time I visit. Damn fine thing to do :Screenshot_20201024_152343.jpeg

Any death on the hills is awful but interesting that social media only goes all hang em and flog em and charge them for MRT rescues recoveries when it's working class/young/foreign  people having a go at starting out in the hills.

A well known face on the scene who goes for a 4 munro run at 3pm in October gets a pass.

Any death on the hills is awful but interesting that social media only goes all hang em and flog em and charge them for MRT rescues recoveries when it's working class/young/foreign  people having a go at starting out in the hills.
A well known face on the scene who goes for a 4 munro run at 3pm in October gets a pass.
My Hillwalking pals and I were discussing this yesterday. The general consensus was that the boy no doubt underestimated the difficulty and was a bit of an idiot tbh. He was found around Carn Mairg which from memory is the 3rd one and craggy on one side. Prob got disoriented in fading/no light and fell.

I hate hearing about any death in the hills - it always seems surreal to me, especially on hills that I've done myself. 

I've got a lot of respect for Fell Runner types as they are doing something that I couldn't (similar to climbers in that regard) - but I've always had the opinion that there is a big risk there. If you are venturing into the same mountains as the rest of us but instead of layers of clothing, extra warm kit in your pack, waterproofs, survival bag, etc, you are wearing running gear, you have no margin for error. Fast and light is fine until you hurt yourself and then you're then in big trouble.

I also think there is a constant under-estimating of the difficulty of Scottish hills outside of summer - they are inhospitable in a way that their height doesn't indicate and heading out with only a couple of hours of decent daylight left seems like an odd decision.

22 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
On 30/10/2020 at 17:05, invergowrie arab said:

My Hillwalking pals and I were discussing this yesterday. The general consensus was that the boy no doubt underestimated the difficulty and was a bit of an idiot tbh. He was found around Carn Mairg which from memory is the 3rd one and craggy on one side. Prob got disoriented in fading/no light and fell.

That's some statement calling the guy an idiot. You've no idea if he sustained an injury or an issue with his health. He also left an expected return time, which would suggest he knew the terrain. His timing was reasonable for a fit runner. 

I've walked off the hills in the dark many a time, which obviously makes me an idiot too.  

That's some statement calling the guy an idiot. You've no idea if he sustained an injury or an issue with his health. He also left an expected return time, which would suggest he knew the terrain. His timing was reasonable for a fit runner. 
I've walked off the hills in the dark many a time, which obviously makes me an idiot too.  
Jesus. Calm your tits.

18 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
1 hour ago, Futureboy said:

Jesus. Calm your tits.

Calm my tits? I'm not spouting off calling a stranger an idiot for loosing his life in the hills in circumstances unknown to both you and I.

If a bit of compassion for someone is me needing to "calm my tits", then I'll take that every time. 

Calm my tits? I'm not spouting off calling a stranger an idiot for loosing his life in the hills in circumstances unknown to both you and I.
 If a bit of compassion for someone is me needing to "calm my tits", then I'll take that every time. 
It is actually possible to think someone has made a bit of an idiotic decision and feel compassion for the fact that they've died at the same time. My opinion (and we are actually allowed to hold these on here) is that the boy was likely unfamiliar with the area, was under-equipped (as is fairly standard for fell runners) and assumed a round of 4 fairly benign munros would be straightforward, hence the late start time. Given the location of his body he has likely taken a wrong line off the 3rd summit in very low light and perhaps fallen down virtually the only craggy section of the entire round. In my opinion setting off for a 10 mile 4 munro round with 1h50m remaining of daylight remaining was serious and fairly dangerous underestimation.