Hillwalking Thread

On 15/10/2020 at 18:33, Ziggy said:

I’m on Arran for a few days next week. I would like to do a few walks but I have zero hill walking experience.

Any recommendations? I’m fit but stupid. 

I'd recommend doing sections of the Coastal Path from Brodick to Sannox (via Goatfell is an easy detour), Lamlash to Whiting Bay or as far as Kildonan (detours up to Glenashdale Falls as well) as well as the west coast section between Pirnmill and Blackwaterfoot stopping in at the King's Cave. The sections in between those areas on the south of the island were badly overgrown last year so can't guarantee they'll be in use now. While the north end is very scenic the coastal path itself is an endless coastal boulder field from Sannox to Lochranza and then largely dodgy blind-crest road-walking until Pirnmill.

On 12/10/2020 at 20:10, Gnash said:

Looking for some advice please.  The family and I going on holiday to the wilderness near Inverurie next week (apparently that's still allowed) and would like to climb Bennachie.  

It will, of course, be a piece of cake for a seasoned mountaineer like myself, but I'll be bringing a 4 year old and a somewhat overweight lady in her 40s.  Obviously we'll only go if the weather is decent... does that sound doable or will I end up carrying both of them on piggyback?

Did Mither Tap with my 9 year old and 4 year old.  The overweight lady decided she couldn't be bothered in the end.  

It was a really good climb for the kids, even on an overcast and slightly rainy day.  The little one coped superby and we were up and down in 2 hours.  He was an kamikaze on the descent though, basically trying to run the whole way on slippery ground. 

I’ve booked to do the West Highland Way next year. It’s always been a bit of a bucket list thing so looking forward to it.

Has anyone done it before? Do you have advice on the best training to do? I want to be as fit as I can do I enjoy it so am thinking of adding in multi-day walks, hills in advance but is there anything else I should consider?

I’ve booked to do the West Highland Way next year. It’s always been a bit of a bucket list thing so looking forward to it.
Has anyone done it before? Do you have advice on the best training to do? I want to be as fit as I can do I enjoy it so am thinking of adding in multi-day walks, hills in advance but is there anything else I should consider?
Your footwear.

Depending on what time of year you are doing it just make sure you have 2 pairs of shoes/boots that have been well walked in. I've done it in 3 days and 5 days both were enjoyable due to the company. I've carried a tent (in my younger and first time) and bunked/hotelled it. On the second time we lost one of the gang at Tyndrum as he had blisters on top of his blisters and just couldn't take the pain anymore after switching from a pair of boots to some outlandish pair of Nike Air trainers. I loved it (with the exception of the road down to Kinlochleven which is just fucking dull) and I am sure you will have a blast. I recommend isotonic apple at the stops you have, cider helps if the sun is shining [emoji16]

41 minutes ago, kilMARKnock said:

Your footwear.

Depending on what time of year you are doing it just make sure you have 2 pairs of shoes/boots that have been well walked in. I've done it in 3 days and 5 days both were enjoyable due to the company. I've carried a tent (in my younger and first time) and bunked/hotelled it. On the second time we lost one of the gang at Tyndrum as he had blisters on top of his blisters and just couldn't take the pain anymore after switching from a pair of boots to some outlandish pair of Nike Air trainers. I loved it (with the exception of the road down to Kinlochleven which is just fucking dull) and I am sure you will have a blast. I recommend isotonic apple at the stops you have, cider helps if the sun is shining emoji16.png

Thanks very much. I am breaking in a pair of new boots now and plan to take those but I’ll get a second pair and get those broken in as well.  Yeah I’m hotelling it as well - I want to enjoy it as much as I can and I hate camping.

3 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

Your footwear.

Depending on what time of year you are doing it just make sure you have 2 pairs of shoes/boots that have been well walked in. I've done it in 3 days and 5 days both were enjoyable due to the company. I've carried a tent (in my younger and first time) and bunked/hotelled it. On the second time we lost one of the gang at Tyndrum as he had blisters on top of his blisters and just couldn't take the pain anymore after switching from a pair of boots to some outlandish pair of Nike Air trainers. I loved it (with the exception of the road down to Kinlochleven which is just fucking dull) and I am sure you will have a blast. I recommend isotonic apple at the stops you have, cider helps if the sun is shining emoji16.png

This, 100 times this.

I did it years back in full walking boots (my totally flawed reasoning being that we were doing it in 4.5 days and it would be good to have my normal "big day" footwear at the time, given the daily mileage) and it was a huge mistake. 3 of us set out, all of us reasonably fit/experienced in multi-day stuff and my mate ended up embarrassed getting the Sleeper back from Bridge of Orchy after a couple of days of hell. All of us suffered the same thing - not blisters as these were well worn boots, just impact pain on our feet with fairly stiff soled boots on hardpack all day, every day. If I did it again, I'd use Trail Runners as there is no need for anything more substantial IMO. 

Other than that, think about the staging/where to stop - boots aside, the only day I found tough was Loch Lomond (we did Balmaha to Inverarnan as our 2nd day). If I did it again, I would add a couple of extra days and make it a bit more sociable. Lastly, regardless if you are camping or staying in places - don't carry anything more than you really need. An overly heavy pack is a misery on a long walk and amplifies any problems with footwear and puts more strain on you that will more likely lead to sore knees, back, shoulders, etc - and you see a lot of people carrying big 70l packs on the WHW when there is zero need for it.

Has anyone experienced the cows in pentlands before?
When they announced it i kind of guessed it would be there. Once walked past a large herd and a farmer and thought it was dodgy never mind the mess they make at the gate.
Farmers can be arseholes to walkers and for an area so busy its a bit of a shit setup.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54616178

Make sure, if you havent already, that you have covered the distance in practice. Just so you know what a 20 mile walk feels like. My feet were in absolute agony and I struggled to get my legs going each morning.

On 16/10/2020 at 18:09, Ziggy said:

Thanks for the Arran advice. 

Has anyone visited the stone circles at Machrie Moor?

We did this about a year ago. There is a reasonable carp parking spot. The walk is obviously level and it can be a wee bit wet if there has been lots of poor weather . It is worth it as the Sone circles are impressive  as are the views to the north.  Nice wee round trip of an hour+. I do have some photos but will need to get from PC.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
7 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Make sure, if you havent already, that you have covered the distance in practice. Just so you know what a 20 mile walk feels like. My feet were in absolute agony and I struggled to get my legs going each morning.

3 hours ago, Swello said:

This, 100 times this.

I did it years back in full walking boots (my totally flawed reasoning being that we were doing it in 4.5 days and it would be good to have my normal "big day" footwear at the time, given the daily mileage) and it was a huge mistake. 3 of us set out, all of us reasonably fit/experienced in multi-day stuff and my mate ended up embarrassed getting the Sleeper back from Bridge of Orchy after a couple of days of hell. All of us suffered the same thing - not blisters as these were well worn boots, just impact pain on our feet with fairly stiff soled boots on hardpack all day, every day. If I did it again, I'd use Trail Runners as there is no need for anything more substantial IMO. 

Other than that, think about the staging/where to stop - boots aside, the only day I found tough was Loch Lomond (we did Balmaha to Inverarnan as our 2nd day). If I did it again, I would add a couple of extra days and make it a bit more sociable. Lastly, regardless if you are camping or staying in places - don't carry anything more than you really need. An overly heavy pack is a misery on a long walk and amplifies any problems with footwear and puts more strain on you that will more likely lead to sore knees, back, shoulders, etc - and you see a lot of people carrying big 70l packs on the WHW when there is zero need for it.

Thanks for these, both good advice I’ll take on board.  

Just now, Jambomo said:

Thanks for these, both good advice I’ll take on board.  

You will enjoy it more also, if your feet and legs are fit for it, because what you also have to remember is that it's a piss up on par with most weekends away. I did it in glorious weather and we were outside on the pints at every stop. It was a fucking fantastic holiday, marred only by considerable pain 😂

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Has anyone experienced the cows in pentlands before?
When they announced it i kind of guessed it would be there. Once walked past a large herd and a farmer and thought it was dodgy never mind the mess they make at the gate.
Farmers can be arseholes to walkers and for an area so busy its a bit of a shit setup.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54616178

I have, it was in a different area - on the path from Swanson Village that runs up past the Ski-slope. Near the bottom there is a part of the path where there were cows and the path was enclosed with bushes. Cow on the path (highland I think, had horns) and so I moved off the path to get it to go by me and it charged at me. I just shouted no and put my hand out, it swerved away and ran down the path. Scary as f**k, a bit scared of them now. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You will enjoy it more also, if your feet and legs are fit for it, because what you also have to remember is that it's a piss up on par with most weekends away. I did it in glorious weather and we were outside on the pints at every stop. It was a fucking fantastic holiday, marred only by considerable pain 😂

Yeah, I’ve already started upping the amount of walking and doing extra stuff in the gym. 

Edited by Jambomo

8 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Other than Conic Hill, the Devil's Staircase and the steep but short climb out of Kinlochleven it's not particularly hilly. I'd say take a backpack of roughly similar weight on your training walks to the weight you plan on carrying for the walk itself, that definitely helped prepare me. Balmaha to Rowardennan and the Devil's Staircase were the highlights for me, probably almost entirely down to the glorious weather we had for each.