Hillwalking Thread

I've been using GPS as my main navigation tool for about 15 years and Viewranger for about 6 years IIRC. To get the map and compass thing out the way first - I *always* carry them but normally only use them by choice so that I keep the skill. I think some people find the idea of not using a map and compass as your first choice as some kind of heresy but times have changed and technology reliability is good and it offers functions that you don't get with map and compass alone. My approach to navigation/safety is based on technology but I have redundancy built in like you should where safety is paramount. For those that really want to know - I've done a tl;dr in the spoiler box about my normal approach.

Spoiler

My first part is planning and it matters a lot. I put a lot of effort into planning my route (and get a lot geek enjoyment out of it TBH :) ) - I don't download routes from anywhere. I use (pretty ancient) Memory Map software with OS 1:25k and 1:50k to plot the route for upload to my devices as GPX. I think that good navigation decisions can be made sitting in the house with a cup of coffee that might not always be made in the clag/dark regardless of how good you are at navigation. I often use geograph.co.uk to look at terrain in advance - it's probably not a widely known/used tool for planning but I use it a lot to check how things look on the ground (just type the OS square into the search (eg, NM8690). I upload the route to two places  - my phone and my Garmin Fenix watch (as well as into google drive and make it available offline in my phone in case I need it) and check that this has gone successfully. I then print out a map sheet with that route on it which goes in my waterproof map case along with a full map (and a copy is left at home).

When I'm out walking, my watch is probably my most used navigation tool (more heresy!) - but in a very simple way. I don't use GPS like a satnav as people probably assume. My watch displays the route that I uploaded as a line on a basic topo map and shows my position relative to that line (see image below). When I'm walking along, I glance at the watch regularly and as long as I can basically see the line - and the terrain is as I expect it to be, I don't do much else other than enjoy the view (and not having my head in a map all day is a big reason for doing it the way I do). If i'm diverging from the line or if things (direction of slope, steepness, views to other landmarks) aren't right - I will get my phone out to look at the OS Map and correct if necessary. 

PXL_20200911_152439213.thumb.jpg.ca8aa941484326907f8753c17c680ef6.jpg

If I end up in whiteout/clag/darkness and can't proceed - I then use my map and compass and my phone/watch combo - This is my way of getting a 2nd opinion when I'm on my own. If both methods tell me to go in a particular direction/bearing, then I take that as a good sign :) Both phone and watch also give a accurate grid reference, which also gives me assurance that I am where I think I am.

My phone is practically waterproof (as long as I don't leave it underwater for over 30mins) and on aeroplane mode - so it lasts about 3-4 days between charges, my watch lasts less (about 12 hours) but I always carry a charger in case I need to top it up (which I've done a few times on summer epics). I've never had either fail on me in any way but I can cope easily if one does and if both happen to, I then would go fully to manual navigation. As I am often on my own and actively try to go to the most remote places I can where there is no phone signal - I carry a SPOT tracker in case I get injured or whatever (and I can send a message home via satellite that I'm OK or delayed) - and my missus can see where I am live on her iPad (but only when I'm hillwalking :) ).

Obviously - using a map and compass is a cheap way of doing things and it is highly effective - not everyone can afford to buy the required tech (or want it) and it leaves things accessible for all - (and everyone has their own way of doing things) - but I think to ignore what technology can offer is almost cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

On 10/09/2020 at 20:47, invergowrie arab said:

Flippers and a weighted belt going by the forecast.

Just decided to ditch a Ben Alder camping weekend for the gin joints and massage parlour of Edinburgh.

Going to do my first ascent of Arthur's Seat tho 

Waffles.

Weather was fine. Windy at the top. 

Straight forward walk. Little steep once you go past the small Loch. 

Was a drizzle when we headed down the way 

On 11/09/2020 at 15:44, invergowrie arab said:

I dare you to post this on WH.

WalkHighlands isn't too bad for that sort of zealotry, however try it on one of the many hillwalking Facebook pages and you'll get a horde of armchair-dwelling Bear Grylls giving you the full sermon about navigation who've clearly been absolutely nowhere near a mountain for years. A venn diagram of that lot and folk who go mental on Facebook demanding MRT call outs be charged would be a fucking circle 😂  

Trying to use a map and compass in a gale on an exposed plateau in horizontal rain is utterly shite. Give me electronic navigation any day. I think I've had to get the map and compass out about 4 times in the last 8 years of hillwalking. 

Did Ring of Steall in that horrible weather yesterday. Was not a pleasurable experience and was shiteing myself at points because of the high winds. Met some people on the way back who went down for shelter after the third one, probably was the right decision but because visibility was so poor I just stuck to the track as couldn't really decide where else to drop down.
I would imagine it would be glorious on a good day though. Will I f**k be doing it again however.

Did Ring of Steall in that horrible weather yesterday. Was not a pleasurable experience and was shiteing myself at points because of the high winds. Met some people on the way back who went down for shelter after the third one, probably was the right decision but because visibility was so poor I just stuck to the track as couldn't really decide where else to drop down.
I would imagine it would be glorious on a good day though. Will I f**k be doing it again however.
It's a cracking route Tbf. I first walked the whole thing with about 20 yards visibility, which of course cleared the second I got off Sgurr a'Mhaim [emoji23] Second time was a clear roasting summer's day. Superb views but getting up to An Gearanach was absolutely brutal. Twice is plenty

1 hour ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Isn't Viewranger a paid app? Still worth downloading if you're just going to be using the free version?

You pay for the map tiles that you use (you can buy huge chunks at once for a better price) if you want to use OS Maps or Harveys - but you can also use Open mapping on it for free and the viewranger topo maps are functional but very basic.

I guess it comes down to how much use you will get out of it ( and paper maps cost something too if you don't already have them) - to me it's a "must have", even if it is for spitting out an accurate grid ref when I need it...

42 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Ah thats baws. Only doing it because its no far away.

Easier than the one I just did ?

A bit longer and more ascent than Ben Vrackie but not as steep at any point. 

It's a very enjoyable autumn walk through the Glen before following an easy path up to the plateau 

Wee jaunt up Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh, proper tough going getting to Cruachan so the legs are feeling it a lot today. Cracker of a day though, next to no wind at the top and I'm finding it hard to imagine a day where I'll get better clarity than I did yesterday. Could see well beyond Ben Nevis and out to some of the islands in the other direction. 

Shame about the 8MB upload limit since I've got some cracking photos.971580432_RZBA39561.thumb.JPG.cf62f8c145ffeef4d7eabc6d97dc2f77.JPG128504111_IMG_60451.thumb.JPG.24ce3b07da15caa9a16f237280e4f89d.JPG

Sgor na h-Ulaidh today. Brutal steep grassy pathless ascent and descent but views well worth it.

Was worried when I passed over 100 cars parked at each of Ben More, Buachaille Etive Mòr and three sisters viewpoint but I was the second person at my car park. Some gimps have no imagination.

Forget summer football. Season should be between October and March. Better things to do in good weather.

20200919_150501.jpg

20200919_150528.jpg

20200919_150547.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

I'll admit it - I've never liked the Arrochar Alps. Despite there being lots of great hills round there, the general busy-ness and hassle has put me off - so I've totally avoided the area for at least 10 years. I had time for a wild camp this weekend, so based on nothing more than a random picture I saw of a lochan near it's summit, I decided to camp out on The Brack last night. I arrived at Artgarten just as everyone was leaving and once the hilariously steep climb was done (a scramble off a forest road is a new one on me :) ) - I reached the lochan just as the sun was going down. 

DSC03453.thumb.jpg.7acd7ebd9972b4be023ecbd90647640b.jpg

I got the tent up quickly and ran up the last 100m to the summit to watch the sunset - it was a really nice night....

PXL_20200919_182245641.thumb.jpg.dbca67219b4e5d84d7f34ab23c708ca1.jpg

This was the first non-midge camp I've had in months and it was great to have the tent door open all night - which allowed me to attempt a bit of smartphone astrophotography without getting out my sleeping bag. The Milky way was clearly visible (but not to the phone) despite the light pollution from the Weegiesphere.

PXL_20200919_210543081.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.492870acac53d9798332b32762b4fa18.jpg

After a couple of drams, I passed out and had a great sleep - but when I popped my head out the tent at 6am, I got a nice surprise as there was a big cloud inversion. I got up, made myself a coffee and waited for the sun to rise behind Ben Lomond

PXL_20200920_061431309.thumb.jpg.315d3bf5474259b978f44d194c6f32a1.jpg

PXL_20200920_061822775.thumb.jpg.e23281055fe0ee01bcd372ca751718b1.jpg

I got the Tent away and had a great wander over to Cnoc Coinnich - the views were outstanding from the summit.

PXL_20200920_084625759.thumb.jpg.dad77957f23b5688fd1981102340f986.jpg

After that, a quick stride back to the car had me back at 11:30. The only people I saw on the walk were near the car park - so I had actually managed a quiet walk - maybe the place is growing on me :)

Edited by Swello