Hillwalking Thread

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the audience for hearing a sweaty man swearing at midges and hidden holes in the ground is probably a bit limited :)

Haha perhaps but cracking photos and nice wee tale

I meant to say in my original post - does anyone know anything about these ABSOLUTE FUCKERS:

img_6978.jpg

I've only ever been attacked by them in Kintail and Knoydart and not very often but they are *horrible* (and I'm not at all squeamish about bugs normally). They launch themselves at you from a distance and cling on to the point that you cant brush them off or squash them - you have to carefully pick them off. They were about all weekend but at one point on the way out yesterday, I had 15 or so on me and I was losing the plot...

I meant to say in my original post - does anyone know anything about these ABSOLUTE FUCKERS:

img_6978.jpg&key=9ae6b217ddf80196c00c53f7309afade9819ca0ae351af7f8178772fa78bce23

I've only ever been attacked by them in Kintail and Knoydart and not very often but they are *horrible* (and I'm not at all squeamish about bugs normally). They launch themselves at you from a distance and cling on to the point that you cant brush them off or squash them - you have to carefully pick them off. They were about all weekend but at one point on the way out yesterday, I had 15 or so on me and I was losing the plot...

Deer keds. They don't bite humans - usually. They latch into deer and bite once they shed their wings. Horrible wee fuckers. First time i saw them I thought ticks had developed wings [emoji23]

I had previously only encountered them in Torridon and Assynt, but we basically had to run from a swarm of the fuckers at the summit of Stob Coire an Albannaich a couple of weeks back, which was gutting because we were knackered and looking forward to a summit piece

10 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Deer keds. They don't bite humans - usually. They latch into deer and bite once they shed their wings. Horrible wee fuckers. First time i saw them I thought ticks had developed wings emoji23.png

I had previously only encountered them in Torridon and Assynt, but we basically had to run from a swarm of the fuckers at the summit of Stob Coire an Albannaich a couple of weeks back, which was gutting because we were knackered and looking forward to a summit piece

Having now read up on them, I'm never going out in the West Highlands again :)

photo-shows-head-lipoptena-cervi-260nw-1

Looking for some guidance. I’m walking Ben Nevis (the ‘boring’ tourist route) on Saturday and I’m a total novice at hillwalking. (3 Munros to my name - Ben Vorlich, Ben Lomond and Schiehallion).

The weather isn’t looking the greatest for Saturday with 60kmh winds at the top of Nevis and 40kmh at 500m. Is this still doable? Would this still be perfectly safe going by the mountain path. Probably a daft question but unsure what wind speed would seriously start to affect your walk.

Cheers.

Edited by wee_bairn

24 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Looking for some guidance. I’m walking Ben Nevis (the ‘boring’ tourist route) on Saturday and I’m a total novice at hillwalking. (3 Munros to my name - Ben Vorlich, Ben Lomond and Schiehallion).

The weather isn’t looking the greatest for Saturday with 60kmh winds at the top of Nevis and 40kmh at 500m. Is this still doable? Would this still be perfectly safe going by the mountain path. Probably a daft question but unsure what wind speed would seriously start to affect your walk.

Cheers.

You can walk in those speeds - but the main thing people under-estimate is how much extra energy you burn. If the group aren't that used to high-level walking, Ben Nevis is a long climb and it will be significantly harder in those winds. I think this from Mountaineering Scotland is good/accurate:

Wind speed forecast in mph

Effects on you

Less than 20

Negligible

20-30

Unlikely to affect your balance, but be aware that this is the wind speed that will create the severest wind chill.* A temperature of 0 degrees will be equivalent to -10 degrees. Add a windproof outer layer. Secure map and compass. Goggles will be very useful in winter conditions.

30-40

Starts to affect the balance of a fit/strong adult. You may find that your foot does not quite land where you had planned it to. May be wise to avoid exposed ridge lines, rough underfoot terrain and keep away from exposed edges. Risk of frost nip** on exposed flesh if the temp is below zero.

40-50

Walking will be arduous. You will need to brace/lean into wind, and energy output will be significantly increased. Risk of being blown off balance/sideways. Navigation will be challenging: get your back to the wind and down on one knee to ensure a stable platform to read your map, then put your map safely away in a pocket.

50-60

Walking will be VERY challenging and exhausting. Keep a wide stance, perhaps linking in arms with a weaker member of the party. Move between gusts and brace yourself when a gust arrives. Get off the hill by the easiest and safest route staying well away from ridge crests and corrie rims.

60-70

Attempting to walk in 60-70mph winds is dangerous, and there is a high risk of being blown over and suffering injury. Stay away from difficult underfoot conditions or exposed edges and get off the hill as soon as possible.

70+

You’re having a laugh! Seriously though, folks, if you are seeing a wind speed of 70 mph or more on the mountain forecast, this is the time to head for a walk in the glen. If you do get caught out in this strength of wind, go with the wind, avoid exposed ridges/corrie rims, link arms. You may even have to resort to crawling to get across a particularly exposed section and get down to a more sheltered area as quickly as you can. I have been physically picked up and thrown several meters by the wind on the Cairngorm Plateau, fortunately with no serious consequences.

Edited to add - check this link tomorrow at this time and you will see Saturday's mountain forecast for the West Highlands in more detail - that should help your decision making...

Edited by Swello

On 24/08/2020 at 13:54, welshbairn said:

Guy trying to do all the Munros in under 39 days. 

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/donniemunro20/#                                               

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-53999465

Managed it in less than 32 days. A genuinely outstanding, if slightly insane, achievement.

3 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Swello said:

You can walk in those speeds - but the main thing people under-estimate is how much extra energy you burn. If the group aren't that used to high-level walking, Ben Nevis is a long climb and it will be significantly harder in those winds. I think this from Mountaineering Scotland is good/accurate:

Edited to add - check this link tomorrow at this time and you will see Saturday's mountain forecast for the West Highlands in more detail - that should help your decision making...

I just want to add Ben Nevis is an utter shite walk. Regardless of the weather.
If you haven't done it afore I'd do it to tick it off but I have done it 3 or four times and I hate it.

I just want to add Ben Nevis is an utter shite walk. Regardless of the weather.

If you haven't done it afore I'd do it to tick it off but I have done it 3 or four times and I hate it.

Aye we’re doing it for exactly that reason. Staying over in FW as well which I’m not expecting much from either.