Hillwalking Thread

Very slim chance here but anyone been or going up Ben Lui way? Planning on heading up on Friday but all routes I've seen mention that you need to wade through the River Lochy before getting onto the route which isn't recommended at full spate and considering how shite the weather has been in the last day or two it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

29 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Very slim chance here but anyone been or going up Ben Lui way? Planning on heading up on Friday but all routes I've seen mention that you need to wade through the River Lochy before getting onto the route which isn't recommended at full spate and considering how shite the weather has been in the last day or two it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Are you planning to do Beinn a Chleibh as well? If not, the gully route from the Tyndrum side is a *much* nicer walk IMO. The Glen Lochy side has some horrible firebreak walking as well (the worst part about some of the hills around there..)

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

Are you planning to do Beinn a Chleibh as well? If not, the gully route from the Tyndrum side is a *much* nicer walk IMO. The Glen Lochy side has some horrible firebreak walking as well (the worst part about some of the hills around there..)

Aye I'd be more worried about sinking than drowning. Horrible walk that i wil likely have to do again as the missus hasn't done it.

I'll maybe wait in the car.

I did it last week from Tyndrum, no wading through any rivers was required.

21 minutes ago, Swello said:

Planning on doing Beinn a Chleibh as well aye, will have a look at the Tyndrum route as well.

8 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Planning on doing Beinn a Chleibh as well aye, will have a look at the Tyndrum route as well.

If you do it from Tyndrum/Dalrigh and wanted to do Beinn a Chleibh - you need to come back over Ben Lui and there is a comedy drop in height between the 2, so you would add a lot of ascent (probably 4-500m) to the walk (which is the reason that the other route is popular despite it being a pain.

Other thing to say about the "good" route - it has some scrambling involved but nothing bad if you like that sort of thing :) 

22 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Beinn Bhuidhe, Any one did that? I have it lined up for Saturday and it looks fun

Did it in a winter white-out, saw f**k all apart from my map. Bought some nice beers from the brewery near the road on the way out - that was the highlight. Is the Rest and Be Thankful open again?

23 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

It's in my "to do but can't be fucked with it" list emoji23.png

Some hills are too far, scary or tricky.

Beinn Buidhe just gives off a vibe of being absolutely shite and I can't put my finger on why.

When I go I'll just get up and down on that new hilltrack to make it even more grim but at least quick.

Some hills are too far, scary or tricky.
Beinn Buidhe just gives off a vibe of being absolutely shite and I can't put my finger on why.
When I go I'll just get up and down on that new hilltrack to make it even more grim but at least quick.
It just looks pish. Long tedious drive, a few miles in by bike, tedious steep ascent, then tedious steep descent through ferns and bracken. Doesn't even look that scenic. Shite.

Done my first hill in four(ish) years today. Meikle Bin.....thoroughly enjoyed it. Steeper than I thought it’d be and harder on the old legs. Best bit was I was with my two daughters. Had a great day out. Never done hills with them before, they’re only getting into it. Looking forward to the next one, maybe introduce them to a Munro.