Hillwalking Thread

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

TBF the young lad will love it. Big problems there in recent years with fires and all night parties and litter left behind but as a say permitted now ( have you got a permit?) So that might be under control now.

Yeah we're booked in for the night, we get the permits when we arrive and it's all sectioned off, my wee cousin says it's really well controlled now which is why we decided to go there, and the fishing's decent. Something different for the wee guy.

I've decided it'll be Ben Vorlich, Ben Lawers and Schiehallion I think for my next 3 walks, the planning is actually pretty fun.

Once I've got a few under my belt I really want a crack at the wild camping but I'll need to learn to use a map and compass properly first, defo wont be taking any unnecessary risks.

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Yeah we're booked in for the night, we get the permits when we arrive and it's all sectioned off, my wee cousin says it's really well controlled now which is why we decided to go there, and the fishing's decent. Something different for the wee guy.

I've decided it'll be Ben Vorlich, Ben Lawers and Schiehallion I think for my next 3 walks, the planning is actually pretty fun.

Once I've got a few under my belt I really want a crack at the wild camping but I'll need to learn to use a map and compass properly first, defo wont be taking any unnecessary risks.

With the Ben Lawers makes sense to do Beinn Ghlass at the same time (right next to each other)  Schiehallion is a really good one top of Schiehallion is a bit of a bugger with the boulders.  The time i done Ben Vorlich even though the pics looks a decent day got soaked 3 times going up it rain was on and off and mist closed in cant mind if it was before or after those pics but visibility went right down to about 20 metres

22 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

This is the best book I ever found for navigation. Really clear and simple https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Navigation-Peter-Cliff/dp/1871890551#:~:text=Mountain Navigation Paperback – 1 May,Peter Cliff (Author)

Some lovely hills. Consider Meall nan Tarmachan too.

First time I did Ben Lawers i was completely naive and did it in a torrential downpour. Second time I did the 7 Lawers Munros in one day using two cars and equally naive did it starting at the Lawers hotel which is about 1500 ft more ascent than doing it the other way around.

When I told my old man that I'd been looking into this and wanted to get out and do a bit, he told me he had only ever climbed one hill... Ben lawers and he done it in a trousers and t-shirt and a pair of trainers, and at the end he ended up on his hands and knees crawling, totally unfit, unprepared and naive as f*ck 😂, no quite the pep talk I've had before but a definite warning to be prepared 😂.

You have to start somewhere. My first munro was Mayar which I did in shorts, t-shirt and trainers with a rugby top in my bag in case it got cold on top. Indeed it did as it was Easter and I got caught in a blizzard whilst slipping on my arse trying to navigate compacted snow and ice on the Kilbo path.

The locals used to call the early British alpinists Blaujeans as they wore jeans to do some of the first rock climbs there  including on the north face of the  Eiger. 

Got to Criffel summit in 42 minutes today, 1 minute slower than my Personal Best.  Pleased with that considering it's awfy wet after the abuse from this week's weather and I had to do some numpty dodging. PB was set during lockdown when I had the hill to myself and it was as dry as it's ever been. It was too wet to make up time on my way down for the overall PB of 71 mins up & down, did it in 78 today.

Here's this week's gratuitous digger shots. Really good progress made despite the weather. Nith estuary in the background of the 1st pic, Knockendoch and Loch Kindar in the 2nd 

20200724_213549.jpg

20200724_172827.jpg

Went up Bienn Ghlas and Ben Lawers today as the MWIS forecast was good. Usually get good views from there and apart from the summits, it was bang on. 

Was there reasonably early, but it wasn't as busy as I've seen it before. Busy lower down but me and a guy walking at similar places had the tops to ourselves and only I only met a couple of others on the way down. Hopefully things are calming down a bit 🤞

Overnighter at Lochan na h-Earba last night for the Creag Pitridh munros. Thought it might be busy but we were the only ones there.

Was going to camp by the Allt Cam and do the Càrn Dearg ridge today but forecast was pish and so it turned out. Although Creag Meagaidh was under blue skies the South of the road never cleared.

Will probably do these from Loch Pattack instead, any recommendations for a pitch? Not as far as Culra as it's minging round there. 

20200724_134032.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Overnighter at Lochan na h-Earba last night for the Creag Pitridh munros. Thought it might be busy but we were the only ones there.

Was going to camp by the Allt Cam and do the Càrn Dearg ridge today but forecast was pish and so it turned out. Although Creag Meagaidh was under blue skies the South of the road never cleared.

Will probably do these from Loch Pattack instead, any recommendations for a pitch? Not as far as Culra as it's minging round there. 

If you're feeling adventurous, I once bivvied at Loch a' Bhealaich Leamhain - quite a wild spot...

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Last convinced me I'll never bivvy

I was more midge than man and the wee b*****ds were even getting through my net

Same. I've given up on using a bivvy bag as I don't really see the benefit over a tent that weighs the same and takes up the same pack space. I get that you can use a bivvy where you can't use a tent, which is fine in theory - but in reality, I've always been able to find somewhere to fit my 1 man tent (with the exception of the Cuillin Ridge where a bivvy bag was a good idea). 

I've done enough wild camping (and narrowed down the gear I use) that I've got to the point where I always have a decently comfortable night regardless of where I camp - I never got to that point with the bivvy bag, so it lives at the bottom of the gear box...

I need to invest in some lightweight gear. I just have a couple of Banshees 200 if im on my own or 300 with the wife. Great tents but not heavy.

Combined with sleeping bag, roll mat, food, whisky and my old tin cooking pot and everything else I can easy add 15kg to the bag

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I need to invest in some lightweight gear. I just have a couple of Banshees 200 if im on my own or 300 with the wife. Great tents but not heavy.

Combined with sleeping bag, roll mat, food, whisky and my old tin cooking pot and everything else I can easy add 15kg to the bag

I hover about 10kg. Laser Comp 2 if I'm camping solo or a Zephyros 2 if I take the dugs. 

I've used a tarp a few times, which is a great compromise between tent and bivvy, but if there are midges, you are still goosed!

On 12/01/2020 at 22:31, Swello said:

Fancied getting out in the hills today but after the mental amount of rain yesterday, I was aiming for something that would be decent underfoot and wouldn't have any river crossings, so I headed for the Ettrick valley to get a couple of hills - Capel Fell and Croft Head - that are on (or just next to) the Southern Upland Way. The initial walk in was along a big forestry road past Over Phawhope bothy and then along some smaller, older forest roads before branching off along a path that crosses a stile where it opens up.

Was thinking of going for these later in the week for the exact same reason you mentioned here - the weather's been horrendous and I dont fancy bog hopping or mud sludging. How were these two for that once you were off the forestry roads, were they solid enough underfoot? Cheers

20 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Was thinking of going for these later in the week for the exact same reason you mentioned here - the weather's been horrendous and I dont fancy bog hopping or mud sludging. How were these two for that once you were off the forestry roads, were they solid enough underfoot? Cheers

The paths are mostly very good (and as it's mostly the route of the SUW, I guess they are maintained to a decent standard)- there are a couple of boggy sections as you cross from the Borders into D&G, but not much compared to most southern hill country. Capel Fell is pathless but the ground was decent when I did it - Croft Head has a great zig-zag path climbing it, so no worries there...

Worth noting that I did these from Ettrick Valley, not the Moffat side and I've not walked the SUW from Moffat, so can't vouch for the state of that section.