Hillwalking Thread

truly God's country round that way

I fucking love coming home. Predominantly to see the folks, brothers and mates, and play golf, but also the walks and scenery are just absolutely unrivalled. Beautiful place.

Anyone ever been up Loudon Hill? I know it's not really much of a hill walk but I fancy it from a history geek point of view? Easy enough to reach if you park in Darvel? Also, roughly how lomg would it take - google has given me very different estimations.

Y'alright lads, suppose it's about time I introduced myself in here - some great tips, photos and walk reports, I'll try and add to that, but from the south!

I may not have any Munros or many Corbetts within reach, but 'm lucky enough to have a hill on my doorstep, Criffel. Just a "Marilyn" at 569m, but a steep one, and starting at 59m it's still a fair ascent of 510m and a lot more challenging than many folk who come here expect - it's easily accessed from Dumfries and very prominent, seen from miles around, so loads of folk turn up dressed for the gym or the beach and seem to expect an easy stroll. You wont be surprised to read that there's a fair few mountain rescues here, the most recent being 1 day after the 5 mile restrictions were lifted - broken ankle, taken to hospital  by helicopter.

There's a path that goes up to the top of the treeline at just under 1000ft, but after that it can be a boggy pull through either peat or heather to the summit. However, work has started on a path extension, as you'll see below. Mixed feelings, it may increase the bam factor if it's easier to climb, therefore more litter on the hill and in the car park, but should mean less mountain rescues and less excuse for me not to climb it on a rainy day - which in turn should work wonders for my fitness!

Pictures... view from my house, from further away, Cairn & Solway views, Isle of Man, and digger in action.

From house sml.jpg

From a bit further away sml.jpg

Cairn sml.jpg

South to Lakes sml.jpg

IoM sml.jpg

Man at work sml.jpg

On 19/07/2020 at 18:58, the aggressive beggar said:

Now sitting at the Whispering Pines on my second pint looking up at the big b*****d, can't believe i just walked up there 😂

I absolutely love that feeling. My aim this year was to complete the panorama of what's visible from my place, so I can get that feeling every time I look out of the kitchen window! (on a clear day) That'll include the Lowther hills, the Durisdeer Donalds, the Moffat Hills and some of the Ettrick Donalds. I'm well on the way, but lockdown restrictions halted my progress. However, having little or no work all summer thanks to Covid should mean I can complete my goal if the weather is on side.

On 19/07/2020 at 20:07, Swello said:

When I was starting out, the most difficult part was getting it in my head that getting to the summit wasn't the hard bit over and done with.

Apparently 80% of all mountain injuries occur on the way down. I can believe it, folk in the wrong mindset can get complacent thinking the hard work is done and they can take it easier and/or go faster.

On 20/07/2020 at 11:03, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Not seen as much complaints this weekend as I did previous.. Hills still absolutely heaving? Might get up one this weekend weather dependant.

I can only judge by "my own" hill, and the hills I've done recently, but here's my take on it...  No matter the weather Criffel was mobbed by local bams immediately (and also before) restrictions were lifted - the kind of folk who leave plastic bottles & cans on the hill and glass bottles & takeaway bags in the car park, 10 yards away from two wheelie bins. Now, the car park is still well populated all day every good weather day, but it's mostly hillwalkers and the odd visiting family now, with a lot less litter appearing. The other hills I've done on the last couple of weeks - Well Hill (Durisdeer Marilyn) Queensberry (Graham, technically a Lowther but closer to Moffat) and Fell of Fleet (Galloway Marilyn) - completely empty, didn't see a soul.

On 20/07/2020 at 21:12, Day of the Lords said:
On 20/07/2020 at 20:56, Dunning1874 said:

You'll find a lot of Corbetts tougher than the munros tbh. They are often rougher than the average munro.

Glad to see this being said here. I don't have any first hand experience (as an adult) of Munros in the Highlands, but many experienced hikers I come across say that some of our Southern Marilyns and Donalds are harder than many Munros, as often there are no paths, very few guides to follow, the terrain can be difficult and unpredictable, and if the hill is isolated or coastal the weather changes can be just as drastic.

40 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Anyone ever been up Loudon Hill? I know it's not really much of a hill walk but I fancy it from a history geek point of view? Easy enough to reach if you park in Darvel? Also, roughly how lomg would it take - google has given me very different estimations.

Looked at it on my OS mapping app - the summit is about 700m walk from the nearest road and around 100m ascent - it would take around 20 mins to the summit.

Ring of Steall today. 4 munro in the shadow of Ben Nevis. A fantastic ridge walk, some great scrambling and a cheeky cable bridge to cross.

Would thoroughly recommend it but not for beginners.

Screenshot_20200721-225129_Gallery.jpg

20200721_225342.jpg

20200721_225513.jpg

There is a popular car park with dog walkers at the foot of the hill where the Wallace piece is as below, as stated above its a short walk to the top but certainly worth an hour of your time. Cold Saturday morning in Feb:IMAG0544.jpegScreenshot_20200722_063448.jpeg

2 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

There is a popular car park with dog walkers at the foot of the hill where the Wallace piece is as below, as stated above its a short walk to the top but certainly worth an hour of your time. Cold Saturday morning in Feb:IMAG0544.jpegScreenshot_20200722_063448.jpeg

You look quite young to be posting on P&B mate!!!!!

11 hours ago, David W said:

20200721_225342.jpg

Was up here last year around September time, a few days on my own hitting a couple munros. Got there pretty late on the first day so took a wee wander out to Steall falls. 

Fell off this wee bridge into the river about waist deep. Boots were ringing for the remaining two days. Cracking area though, need to get back there again.

Looked at it on my OS mapping app - the summit is about 700m walk from the nearest road and around 100m ascent - it would take around 20 mins to the summit.
There is a popular car park with dog walkers at the foot of the hill where the Wallace piece is as below, as stated above its a short walk to the top but certainly worth an hour of your time. Cold Saturday morning in Feb:IMAG0544.thumb.jpeg.4186e23b5f01b5bb9ff663fc9f4f25aa.jpegScreenshot_20200722_063448.thumb.jpeg.0e4b7bcf0e650e0eda2220cb33b39b36.jpeg
Ta, I'll head up there next week some time.

40 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'm heading up camping to Loch Earn on Saturday for a bit of fishing with my cousin and the wee boy, going to scope out Ben Vorlich is it? I've had a wee look on walk Highlands, but any info from anyone here who's done it would be appreciated.

Ben Vorlich is a piece of piss although a wee bit sting in the tailnwith a steep finish.

Camping at Loch Earn sounds horrendous unless you like the T in the Park vibe. Then again I'm a miserable git. Maybe it's better since they introduced the permit system.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ben Vorlich is a piece of piss although a wee bit sting in the tailnwith a steep finish.

Camping at Loch Earn sounds horrendous unless you like the T in the Park vibe. Then again I'm a miserable git. Maybe it's better since they introduced the permit system.

It's my wee boys first time camping/fishing so wanted somewhere not too far, and a bit more "controlled" camping than just out in the sticks.

That's exactly what I'm after with Ben Vorlich, I've only just started hillwalking after 6 months of planning and getting fitness up, mine and the dogs!!

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'm heading up camping to Loch Earn on Saturday for a bit of fishing with my cousin and the wee boy, going to scope out Ben Vorlich is it? I've had a wee look on walk Highlands, but any info from anyone here who's done it would be appreciated.

Its a sore one pretty straight forward enough, i parked down at layby signposted to the start of the walk, i found it started steeper but that was just my opinion, path well marked on the way up, its the coming back down its more noticeable the drop on your right.  You go through a couple of farms on the way to the start of it.

E2B3B9DF-95AB-42DC-8F3F-19D2EB9CA422_1_105_c.jpeg

D456EA46-CE4D-47FA-BF70-0F8E79765939_1_105_c.jpeg

2E837761-5F31-466D-90ED-646CFD16A0AD_1_105_c.jpeg

0021FBB7-31C8-49E4-AD86-4BCED3AE84E8_1_105_c.jpeg

816922F8-A61C-4DE1-B154-7CDEBC60657E_1_105_c.jpeg

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

It's my wee boys first time camping/fishing so wanted somewhere not too far, and a bit more "controlled" camping than just out in the sticks.

That's exactly what I'm after with Ben Vorlich, I've only just started hillwalking after 6 months of planning and getting fitness up, mine and the dogs!!

TBF the young lad will love it. Big problems there in recent years with fires and all night parties and litter left behind but as a say permitted now ( have you got a permit?) So that might be under control now.