Hillwalking Thread

On 09/07/2020 at 22:12, jamamafegan said:

Just taken myself off of the “Scottish Hillwalking & Camping” Facebook group. Full of weegies who constantly post photos of their trip up the classic, shitey wee weegie hills such as Ben Aan, Conic Hill or the Cobbler. It’s like these people have never ventured further than Glencoe. What’s that, a photo of you at the summit of Ben Aan? Sure, I would love to see that - along with the 50 other photos posted of the same view.

Final straw has been the various questions asked today by members including:

Can I take my toddler camping?

Is conic hill busy at the moment?

Is the devils pulpit open?

GTF

It's shite. It's rammed full of wankers posting photos of their campfires desperately hoping to get reactions from people. 

On 10/07/2020 at 19:35, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Beinn Ime is a horrid munro. Glad I’ve got it out the road. Came down from Beinn Narnain and up that the other week, couldn’t see a thing. 

If Beinn Ime was a person it would be a fat, ginger, specky laddie with no pals.

Agreed. That group of hills gets progressively more shite as you go on. I did them in a knackering round in 2014, started with the Cobbler which is superb, then Narnain which was quite enjoyable, then up to Ime which was boggy and suddenly clouded in, off the back off Ime through and interminable bogfest and up the back of Vane which was utterly horrible. 450m of steep AF wet grass. 

I'd go back to the Cobbler but the munros there are pretty meh. I still have Vorlich above Loch Sloy to do which I can't be arsed with tbh. In fact I've driven to Inveruglas twice with the intention of climbing and changed my mind to go elsewhere. Nothing yet tops Beinn Chabhair for shiteness imo though. My view is somewhat biased by the fact that my knee injury flared up on the way down from the summit and I basically had to hobble all the way to the car. Still, shitloads of bog and false summits is never fun. 

Also, first hillwalk since pre-lockdown yesterday, with a knackering repeat of Ben Alder and Beinn Bheoil. We'd expected these to be quiet given they are miles from anywhere, but nope, car park rammed and at least 20 tents around Culra bothy [emoji23] Good walk on the hills though despite not having time for our original plan of doing the Lancet Edge. The only negative was discovering some manky c**t had shat in both the trig and summit shelter cairns.

20200711_125858.jpg20200711_150314.jpg20200711_111228.jpg20200711_100305.jpg

On 09/07/2020 at 22:12, jamamafegan said:

Just taken myself off of the “Scottish Hillwalking & Camping” Facebook group. Full of weegies who constantly post photos of their trip up the classic, shitey wee weegie hills such as Ben Aan, Conic Hill or the Cobbler. It’s like these people have never ventured further than Glencoe. What’s that, a photo of you at the summit of Ben Aan? Sure, I would love to see that - along with the 50 other photos posted of the same view.

Final straw has been the various questions asked today by members including:

Can I take my toddler camping?

Is conic hill busy at the moment?

Is the devils pulpit open?

GTF

This thread is probably my favourite hillwalking resource now. The FB page is as you describe.

Ukclimbing is populated by absolute wankers and man children. Walkhighlands is a brilliant site but the forum is about 80% wildernista twats or people who think Cameron McNeish is someone worth listening to.

Bring back The Angry Corrie letters pages.

On 10/07/2020 at 21:20, D.A.F.C said:

Is it usually misty then?
Was thinking of doing it again so I can get a decent view.
Done narnain ime cobbler and vorlich Ben vane.
Think you can do vane to ime. Not sure.

The day I done it it was exceptionally foggy, I’d imagine you would be alright most of the time.  

Never took a photo from the top of Beinn Ime since there was no point but here’s one from Beinn Narnain on the same day.

E83F00A4-B60D-4071-B5F3-130A8A9C2DAA.jpeg

This thread is probably my favourite hillwalking resource now. The FB page is as you describe.
Ukclimbing is populated by absolute wankers and man children. Walkhighlands is a brilliant site but the forum is about 80% wildernista twats or people who think Cameron McNeish is someone worth listening to.
Walkhighlands was glorious when that bothy on Islay was closed allegedly due to Geoff Allan's book [emoji23]

My fear with this pandemic is that all the bams start climbing hills.
Never had any bother and it will increase rescues and possibly car parks filled up early doors.

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'd go back to the Cobbler but the munros there are pretty meh. I still have Vorlich above Loch Sloy to do which I can't be arsed with tbh. In fact I've driven to Inveruglas twice with the intention of climbing and changed my mind to go elsewhere. Nothing yet tops Beinn Chabhair for shiteness imo though.

I did Vorlich from Inveruglas and just meandered my way up the ridge back. There wasn’t really a path but it was fine. Then in a fit of madness I dropped back from the summit and went straight down to the dam and climbed Beinn Vane, something like 2000 foot down and 2000 back up, totally avoiding the ‘tourist’ path until I came down Beinn Vane.

I didn’t particularly enjoy the Arrochar hills either tbh.

37 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Walkhighlands was glorious when that bothy on Islay was closed allegedly due to Geoff Allan's book emoji23.png

The Peanmeanach thread was great too.

I honestly think some people just get really annoyed someone else knows about their "secret". At least the SMC lock their doors and are absolutely clear it's for their type of people only.

It would have to be a life or death situation for me to go to a bothy overnight.

Full of absolute fucking bores who wouldn't get away with it in a pub

I honestly think some people just get really annoyed someone else knows about their "secret". At least the SMC lock their doors and are absolutely clear it's for their type of people only.
It would have to be a life or death situation for me to go to a bothy overnight.

Accurate AF. The state bothy regulars get into over the Bothy Bible is quite remarkable. One guy seemed to work full time across social media trying to discredit Allan and to an extent the MBA. I've stayed in a few of them, which was largely OK. The more remote, the less chance of encountering jakey b*****ds.

We'd expected these to be quiet given they are miles from anywhere, but nope, car park rammed and at least 20 tents around Culra bothy

When I was driving back down to the road from Tyndrum to the M9 at Stirling yesterday, every lay-by that had a hill vaguely near it was rammed with cars all over every verge (the tourist route to Ben More being the worst) - I think everyone that has a ever done a hill was out this weekend (and fair enough really). 

Wild camping is as big a part of hillwalking as the bagging part of it for me and even though I personally thought it was a safe activity, I bought into the official advice but I'd imagine that a lot of folk have still been doing it.

some manky c**t had shat in both the trig and summit shelter cairns.

I just can't get my head around this level of arsehole-ness - someone that's got the ability to get to a remote peak like Ben Alder probably isn't the type of w**k that leaves their £20 tent and all their crap in a layby - they should know the score.  I don't know what the reason is, but it seems like there is a rise in folk being manky b*****ds - and I don't just mean the pictures that Loch Lomond National Park publish to justify their camping bans....

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
9 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Accurate AF. The state bothy regulars get into over the Bothy Bible is quite remarkable. One guy seemed to work full time across social media trying to discredit Allan and to an extent the MBA. I've stayed in a few of them, which was largely OK. The more remote, the less chance of encountering jakey b*****ds.

I entertained by the implication that every ned and scheme dweller in the central belt went out and bought a copy of the bothy bible.

The biggest culprits I encountered for arsehole behaviour was university clubs and TBF I was an arsehole myself at that age.

It was always thus. Many of the ruined cottages you see today were wind and watertight less than a hundred years ago before the first generation of walkers and climbers dossed down in them ripping the pine wall linings and stairways out to burn in the fire.

I do have one bothy I like which is like walking into a time capsule of an old shepherd bothy.

Its non MBA but it's the one between the A9 and A924

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

honestly think some people just get really annoyed someone else knows about their "secret". At least the SMC lock their doors and are absolutely clear it's for their type of people only.

That was a huge part of it. I personally like the idea of bothies rather than the reality and I rarely sleep in them (quite happy to make my dinner in there and spend the evening if they are quiet) - but there is a weird snobbery around them.

I've got the bothy bible and i thought it was a really nicely put together book but I doubt I was their target audience as I knew where the vast majority of them were anyway. I get the impression that the self-appointed bothy guardians (who aren't necessarily MBA people) don't see a contradiction between them boasting about all the wild nights they've  had in their favourite bothy and restricting other (younger) people from doing the same...

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

That was a huge part of it. I personally like the idea of bothies rather than the reality and I rarely sleep in them (quite happy to make my dinner in there and spend the evening if they are quiet) - but there is a weird snobbery around them.

I've got the bothy bible and i thought it was a really nicely put together book but I doubt I was their target audience as I knew where the vast majority of them were anyway. I get the impression that the self-appointed bothy guardians (who aren't necessarily MBA people) don't see a contradiction between them boasting about all the wild nights they've  had in their favourite bothy and restricting other (younger) people from doing the same...

I am actually a member of the MBA as, like you, I like the idea of them and I do use them for a pit stop or to make my dinner.

The documentary on the BBC a couple to years back summed them up for me. It was basically a private club for a piss up. No harm to them, I think If you go and do a weekend on a work party you are entitled to a drink but not my scene.

I have a Bothy on my list of things to do this year no for getting pissed up but just to get away and do something different, the one up by Sandwood Bay is one just cause it seems to be remote as f**k and as you say i dont fancy bumping into the arsehole element of the hillwalking community. I generally find there are no arseholes in hill walking as everyone is friendly enough but the same time there is your element as mentioned their hillwalking consists of Conic Hill, Tinto Hill and Ben A'an 

Depends who you consider an arsehole.

Hillwalking and climbing can attract the type of person who sees themself as a lone wolf, self reliant, scorning of wider society types. They tend to have fucking awful opinions. f**k being stuck in a bothy with one of them.

COVID really brought this lot out of the woodwork across social media. The type who just refused to countenance changing their behaviour for the benefit of wider society. 

One of the comments on walkhighlands when the bothies closed was- how will this be enforced? f**k off, how about just being a decent person and adhering to a reasonable request to stay away.

Anyway I'm triggered now but it was helpful to vent 😂

Only really started to take an interest in hillwalking in the weeks prior to lockdown so have only managed the aforementioned shitey Weegie hills but this thread looks to be a good resource. Did the Cobbler this morning - met Ally McCoist on the way down. :lol:

First walk in about 6 months this morning was a short and painful stint up Beinn Each at Loch Lubnaig.  15 mins in and my calves were burning.  Grateful for the respite on the track, but half way up the ascent i was a physical wreck.  Still, managed the top and back in 2.5 hours.  Stunning views out to Loch Earn and across Forth Valley.

Planning to do Vorlich, Stuc and Each from Loch Earn later this year but after todays showing i'll need to get the fitness up.

Edited by the aggressive beggar

2 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

Only really started to take an interest in hillwalking in the weeks prior to lockdown so have only managed the aforementioned shitey Weegie hills but this thread looks to be a good resource. Did the Cobbler this morning - met Ally McCoist on the way down. :lol:

The cobbler is the first "real" mountain I climbed and I'm considering doing it again this summer as annoyingly, I didn't know to "thread the needle" at the time and now that I'm attempting to climb all the Corbetts, it's bugging me massively that I've not been on the  real summit :)

Got out of my bed really early this morning and made it in to Glen Doll. Tents everywhere around the car park and rubbish piled up. I picked up and binned a handful of dog shit bags dumped next to the trail on the way back, which hadn't been filled by my dogs. When I got back to the car, a fresh supply of tents had arrived. The field over from the Clova Inn was packed with cars and families walking on the road out from the car park. Mental.

Went up Broad Cairn, but didn't go on to Cairn Bannoch as the dugs were struggling with the heat. Not a drop of wind high up. I'm sunbunt big time. Only met a few folk on the way up and down.  A great day apart from the car park!

Bothies - I do like a bothy, but tend to stick to midweek if I can to avoid the masses. I probably prefer my tent tbh.