Hillwalking Thread

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

A wee bit advice needed if anyone can help. Managed to get a nice deal on a hotel in Aberfoyle and a hire car for tonight. Plan is to go up Ben A'an tomorrow, not very high but should get lovely views if the cloud isn't too low. Just looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow and seems we're likely to get some light rain or snow in the morning. 

We'll have decent gear for a hike (good boots, wind/waterproofs etc) and according to the walk highlands website it's a relatively easy hike. I'm pretty confident it shouldn't be a problem so I suppose I'm just asking if anyone has any experience of that hill and would recommend leaving it in slightly inclement weather. 

Thanks in advance.

Ben A'an is a good one like you say if you get a good day and free of cloud cover the views are absolutely stunning but for one thats not anything other than a hill it will make you work for it, if i remember correctly the car park at the bottom is a £2 fee. There has been a lot of deforestation so is open to the elements have attached a couple of pics from my trip up a while back to give you an idea of it.

7C03995F-E45B-43FC-A216-C52B39339661_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.13b22deba97e71a998d1f435a368c941.jpeg

ADE2765B-D4EB-44B8-813C-C21DD88E587F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.64861cf92a0fd877bcf19ffd501a2f74.jpeg

C7D6631B-4AC8-421A-8055-40DA0749F6C9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b0b8f8d96153c2c6b17b81cfc33083ba.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Can anyone recommend decent crampons? Never used them before and thinking about going up Nevis next week.

Grivel G12 Newmatic are really good - used them for a few years - but they are over £100 IIRC, so it depends on if you're planning to get a decent amount of use out of them in future...

• 1 month later...

When are we expecting the hills to 're-open' as such? My mate who follows James English on twitter was saying he's been regularly taking in Munros during lock down, which I'm assuming is against the government guidelines. 

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

When are we expecting the hills to 're-open' as such? My mate who follows James English on twitter was saying he's been regularly taking in Munros during lock down, which I'm assuming is against the government guidelines. 

I can’t speak for Munro’s but I’ve still been walking the hills here since lockdown began. There’s a few hill routes that are walkable from my house so I don’t even need to take the car to them. Tbh if it hadn’t been for walks and hikes during this lockdown I dread to think where I’d be

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

A very helpful rundown from Scottish Mountain Rescue here. If these guys are saying don't go into the hills I'm not going to be the cocksure twat who breaks his leg and needs helicoptering out during lockdown.

https://www.scottishmountainrescue.org/covid-19-questions-and-answers/

Very sensible and low key message there.

• 1 month later...

Getting out in the hills this weekend was a big boost for me, even though it was the local hills that I've been up and down many a time, I have really missed it. 

Tent due back from Scottish Mountain Gear this week after a little repair. Overnighter on the 15th for sure!_20200706_152108.thumb.JPG.53edf3cdf1da4bc0d366a4804f41c97a.JPG

Getting out in the hills this weekend was a big boost for me, even though it was the local hills that I've been up and down many a time, I have really missed it. 
Tent due back from Scottish Mountain Gear this week after a little repair. Overnighter on the 15th for sure!_20200706_152108.thumb.JPG.53edf3cdf1da4bc0d366a4804f41c97a.JPG
That wee bump beside Davie's Bourach? A fine spot.

39 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
1 hour ago, Futureboy said:

Aye, had lunch at Davie's Bourach. Nobody on Jocks Road, but the car park was hoaching with folk heading up to Corrie Fee.

37 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
1 hour ago, Futureboy said:

It is indeed a fine spot.I took this picture about twelve years ago, it was a very hot day and I stupidly got quite badly burnt.

Photo12_8A.jpg