Hillwalking Thread

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Right you fine specimens....
First time in this topic. I'm the absolute novice of hillwalking, never done one in my life.
Over the last few years I've had operations on my knees etc so I'm aware of my capabilities. Recovered well through the gym etc, and I've just recently got another dog which will need a lot of walking, hit my plan is once the dogs a year old in the summer, to get out and do a bit of hillwalking at the weekend with her.
Obviously with the knees I'll be limited to some of the stuff I can do, so I'm looking for "the pie and Bovril beginners guide to hillwalking" (that's also dog friendly).

It would be handy to know of any equipment that I might also require but I'd imagine the stuff I'm looking at doing is mostly "a good jacket and boots" type stuff rather than a bag full of stuff?
But that's why I'm here, to find all this stuff out.
Any help much appreciated.

I also as an after thought to gear i would look at taping your feet up with zinc tape always try taping mines up 12 hours prior to walking youll be glad you did after your first walk saves a  lot on blisters main areas ball of foot and heel area,  Decent socks as well, as far as gear goes look at Decathlon well  priced and quite good.

Dumyat a good walk as well as Ben Aan for beginners.as mentioned dont be afraid to turn back if the weather goes bad had to do that a few times at the end of the day the hill will always be there.

Edited by AL-FFC

7 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Decent socks as well, as far as gear goes look at Decathlon well  priced and quite good.

Usually settle for wearing relatively cheap running socks under my thermals if I am going out for a decent length hike. Makes a huge difference in terms of preventing blisters. The ones I was wearing over the weekend I think were a 6 pack from H&M that cost me around a tenner.

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Usually settle for wearing relatively cheap running socks under my thermals if I am going out for a decent length hike. Makes a huge difference in terms of preventing blisters. The ones I was wearing over the weekend I think were a 6 pack from H&M that cost me around a tenner.

There are ones called gel socks cost about a tenner from amazon they are quite good, read a review on trail magazine on them actually make a big difference, its like everything comes down to preference and what works for you.

3 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Right you fine specimens....
First time in this topic. I'm the absolute novice of hillwalking, never done one in my life.
Over the last few years I've had operations on my knees etc so I'm aware of my capabilities. Recovered well through the gym etc, and I've just recently got another dog which will need a lot of walking, hit my plan is once the dogs a year old in the summer, to get out and do a bit of hillwalking at the weekend with her.
Obviously with the knees I'll be limited to some of the stuff I can do, so I'm looking for "the pie and Bovril beginners guide to hillwalking" (that's also dog friendly).

It would be handy to know of any equipment that I might also require but I'd imagine the stuff I'm looking at doing is mostly "a good jacket and boots" type stuff rather than a bag full of stuff?
But that's why I'm here, to find all this stuff out.
Any help much appreciated.

Everything said already is good advice. You can hire boots and bags etc from TISO or, increasingly rarely, local authority outdoor centres.

You can pay as little or as much as you want for gear but start cheap and basic and acquire as you go. I started with a pair of 20 quid boots and 15 quid waterproof and they got me up Ben Nevis.

The best bit of gear are a map, a compass and the ability to use them. I would advise taking a navigation course as they are good fun but if you want to read up on it Mountain Navigation by Peter Cliff is a really clear simple read.

In the meantime just get out and moving in forests, up wee local hills etc 

Walkhighlands.com has an amazing trove of walks all over Scotland.

I don't tend to sign up for challenges like Dry January or whatever - but one thing I do try and do every year is a Bivvy-a-month (BAM) - basically non-campsite camping at least once every calendar month. It can be totally unambitious local stuff on a midweek night or it can be part of a weekend walking trip or whatever - no rules and the main point of it is to get more outdoors time. After succeeding in 2017 and 2018, I blew it last year as I didn't get a bivvy in july (annoyingly). I usually prefer hill summits but I mixed it up a bit last year and will probably do that again this year - anyone else up for it? :)

Some examples from last year:

IMG_20190413_173147.thumb.jpg.2355c18bed0a792596c1291585507d66.jpg

Forest on Loch Ossian

IMG_20190511_205529.thumb.jpg.8d573f89da192bf7f8f73fea19825370.jpg

Pykestone Hill Summit Camp

IMG_20190518_203901.thumb.jpg.117f5535d2fe67def153db975a95e32c.jpg

Eilean Molach, Rannoch Moor

IMG_20190626_230311.thumb.jpg.76e48b9f08a412754e0490b8164bf7b8.jpg

Midweek summit camp on Garelet Hill

IMG_20190825_200024.thumb.jpg.a87911017968bfe6108b426a79b5c7f0.jpg

Lochan nam Breac, middle of nowhere.

19 minutes ago, Swello said:

I don't tend to sign up for challenges like Dry January or whatever - but one thing I do try and do every year is a Bivvy-a-month (BAM) - basically non-campsite camping at least once every calendar month. It can be totally unambitious local stuff on a midweek night or it can be part of a weekend walking trip or whatever - no rules and the main point of it is to get more outdoors time. After succeeding in 2017 and 2018, I blew it last year as I didn't get a bivvy in july (annoyingly). I usually prefer hill summits but I mixed it up a bit last year and will probably do that again this year - anyone else up for it? :)

IMG_20190413_173147.thumb.jpg.2355c18bed0a792596c1291585507d66.jpg

Forest on Loch Ossian

IMG_20190511_205529.thumb.jpg.8d573f89da192bf7f8f73fea19825370.jpg

Pykestone Hill Summit Camp

IMG_20190518_203901.thumb.jpg.117f5535d2fe67def153db975a95e32c.jpg

Eilean Molach, Rannoch Moor

IMG_20190626_230311.thumb.jpg.76e48b9f08a412754e0490b8164bf7b8.jpg

Midweek summit camp on Garelet Hill

IMG_20190825_200024.thumb.jpg.a87911017968bfe6108b426a79b5c7f0.jpg

Lochan nam Breac, middle of nowhere.

Well if you do, make sure to upload some photos. Really good viewing!

53 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What's in your rucksack for this? Like what food do you take? Looks ace.

I try to carry as little as possible - for the one on Garelet Hill, I only had a 25l daypack with me  (it was the summer) with a basic setup - a 1 man tent that uses my walking poles as tent-poles, a  light down sleeping bag, inflatable mat and a little cookset - but for the last one pictured, I had carried a packraft, my normal munro gear and camping stuff - so it was a huge pack as it was part of this trip into Knoydart. I'm not into real ultra light purism as I still like a bit of comfort.

I've been doing the wild camping stuff for years alongside normal hillwalking and so gradually I've managed to get pretty sorted with light gear that I can rely on. For example, my cooking stuff (pictured on the trig point in one of the pics above) is just a little meths burner, a windshield/potstand (an american thing called a Caldera Cone), a small pot, a lighter and a spork. All I can do is boil water to make cup a soups, freeze dried gloop meals, porridge and coffee but it's totally simple and weighs nothing. If I'm doing something local and low-level, I go a bit more heavyweight and take some luxuries - I sometimes even use a Firebox stove if I'm in a forest and have a wee wild BBQ :) 

Like everything else - there is lots of decent starter kit to get into it and things can be upgraded over time and I would totally recommend it...

Edited by Swello

10 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

A good pair of boots is indeed essential. It's one of those things where going and getting properly fitted in a shop is still the way to go. As you've mentioned knees you might also want to consider walking poles.

As for decent gentle hills to start, lots of options near Airdrie. Campsie Fells, western Pentlands, Ochils, Gargunnock Hills, Bathgate Hills around Beecraigs. Slightly further afield but still nice and gentle are the Moffat hills, Lammermuirs.

9 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

For summer walking dont need more than decent boots, waterproof jacket and trousers and take plenty water, some food.
Planning your trip and knowing your bearings also as essential. Dont be afraid to turn back if the weather turns nasty.
You will be surprised at how many people you see about. Good starter Munro is ben lomond, nothing really to think about just a straight walk up a path.

9 hours ago, Swello said:

Firstly - don't get too hung up on gear (and I say that as someone who's garage resembles a branch of Tiso :) ). Initially, I would make sure that you have a waterproof jacket (and trousers) that you can rely on. Obviously, it rains a lot but also it's worth remembering that Scotland is a windy country and so even on nice days at the carpark, it is usually cold higher up and waterproof jackets act as a good windproof layer as well as keeping out the rain, which makes a big difference.

The other essential part is  (obviously) footwear and it's not as straightforward as going and splashing out on a pair of big walking boots. If you are going to start out on "simpler" things, it is likely to be mainly on paths and boots might not be required. Unless you are careful, boots can be heavy and it's simple to understand that lifting a kilogram of boots multiple thousands of times over the course of a walk is more tiring and harder on your body than lifting 300grams of "walking" trainers. I personally wear walking boots in the winter and on very steep and/or rocky stuff but when I know that I'm on paths, gentle terrain like the Southern Uplands near where I live or for long distance low level walks, I wear trail shoes/trail runners.  Bottom line is to think about the weight and the sort of terrain that you'll be walking on.

If you have problems with knees - trekking poles should be high on the list and you can cheap ones to start out with. I use them all the time, mainly because I move a lot faster with them over pathless stuff but also to take a bit of weight off my knees on long descents. 

Other than that, any daypack will do to chuck your lunch and waterproofs in. I would always carry gloves and a hat/cap, especially for stops/breaks where you cool down surprisingly quickly. I would never leave home without a map/compass and even when you are starting out on obvious paths, it is good practice to have a map in your hand to get used to pinpointing where you are, working out how much distance you're covering etc.

In terms of where to start out - if you are in Lanarkshire, I think it is a legal requirement that you climb Tinto before doing anything else. Its got a motorway path all the way to the top, is isolated so has great views and has a cafe at the bottom :) Other than that, the pentlands are accessible and are covered in good paths and have some steeper walks when you fancy that. There are plenty of walks on good paths in the hills around Moffat and the tweed valley around Peebles is covered in good waymarked trails that get you into the high country without many difficulties...

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Everything said already is good advice. You can hire boots and bags etc from TISO or, increasingly rarely, local authority outdoor centres.

You can pay as little or as much as you want for gear but start cheap and basic and acquire as you go. I started with a pair of 20 quid boots and 15 quid waterproof and they got me up Ben Nevis.

The best bit of gear are a map, a compass and the ability to use them. I would advise taking a navigation course as they are good fun but if you want to read up on it Mountain Navigation by Peter Cliff is a really clear simple read.

In the meantime just get out and moving in forests, up wee local hills etc 

Walkhighlands.com has an amazing trove of walks all over Scotland.

stellar advice lads many thanks.

And Tinto will indeed be my first walk,as mentioned, being from Lanarkshire, it's the law.

I've had a look on walkhighlands and was very impressed with the site and the step by step guide to each hill.  I'll be honest, I have no clue how to read a map and never even thought of that if I'm honest,I just always imagined there would be a path for some reason, but as I mentioned before, this is why I'm here, to find this out.

i actually have 2 pairs of walking boots, nothing fancy just £35 Karrimor numbers i got online about 4 years ago for work as they were lighter and comfier than steel toe caps, inexplicably the company sent a second pair of the same boots (free) a week later and I've kept them in the box so was just going to use them as I still use the original incredibly renewing the laces once and they are still doing a job!

I was in Watford at the weekend there and was in the "Cotswold outdoor" shop and picked up a Berghaus fellmaster jacket which should do the job i'd imagine, bought it because I'm starting to walk the dog longer now and my softshell jacket is on its last legs!

Is there usually people that take the dogs out on a walk with them or is it just normally 2 legged enthusiasts?

30 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'll be honest, I have no clue how to read a map and never even thought of that if I'm honest,I just always imagined there would be a path for some reason, but as I mentioned before, this is why I'm here, to find this out.

Yeah i thought that too. I imagined tourist information signs, car parks and good paths on every hill when i first started.

If you do end up doing bigger hills its really only the 10 most popular hills will have a well worn path all the way with no real opportunity to lose yourself.

In good visibility even the most complicated walks are a piece of piss. When the mist comes in its a different story.

Mayar and Driesh are often regarded beginners hills but i almost died on them (on my 3rd time up them) due to the fact i forgot my map, weather closing in and a series of bad (lazy) decisions.

For me navigation is half the fun and if you get the bug planning routes on maps is the other half. The pulling your arse up the hill is often the grim bit.

You dont need to know how to keep bearing in a Cairngorm galeforce whiteout on day 1 but just learn as you go. Starting with forest walks and picking out paths etc is a good way to learn. 

For local walks you dont even really need to bother buying a map just print the route maps off walkhighlands. Register so you get across to the 1:25k OS maps.

Edited by invergowrie arab

6 hours ago, Swello said:

I'm going for my own combo this year. Bivvy or Bothy-a-month. 

As much as i like a bivvy, a winter evening  with the bothy TV on is good for the soul.

Is that your Scarp in one of the pics? I've used a Laser Comp for ages, but really fancy the Scarp. They are meant to withstand anything thrown at them. 

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Is there usually people that take the dogs out on a walk with them or is it just normally 2 legged enthusiasts?

Definitely. My two wee dugs (Cairn Terriers) go on most walks, camps and bothy trips with me and they love it. Bothies usually have a wee collection of dogs by the fire if it's busy.

I wouldn't take my Sister's Pug mind you!

I only leave them at home if there is deep snow, or on a walk with a ridge/decent scramble. 

Edited by Futureboy

9 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

I'm going for my own combo this year. Bivvy or Bothy-a-month. 

As much as i like a bivvy, a winter evening  with the bothy TV on is good for the soul.

Is that your Scarp in one of the pics? I've used a Laser Comp for ages, but really fancy the Scarp. They are meant to withstand anything thrown at them. 

Yep - that's the Scarp. Only got it last year, mainly for summit camps and winter stuff and it is stupidly strong for its weight. It's a design that's been about for a while and it's been updated a few times, so it's really well thought out. I really like the fact that its got two porches and you can vary their size depending on what you're doing - haven't seen that on any other tent. Totally recommend it if you can be arsed importing it.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yep - that's the Scarp. Only got it last year, mainly for summit camps and winter stuff and it is stupidly strong for its weight. It's a design that's been about for a while and it's been updated a few times, so it's really well thought out. I really like the fact that its got two porches and you can vary their size depending on what you're doing - haven't seen that on any other tent. Totally recommend it if you can be arsed importing it.

The import put me off, but they pop up for sale second hand now and then. I've just been too slow off the mark when they have come up. Think I will definitely go for it this year. Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

What's the deal with bothies? From what's been posted I gather it's like a communal hoose up a hill?

Bingo. But, there is a code to follow. Basically respect the property, the surrounding property and other visitors. 

2 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

Bingo. But, there is a code to follow. Basically respect the property, the surrounding property and other visitors. 

House is a bit strong. It's a no thrills shelter. Basically like camping without a tent (although I always carry a tent incase it's busy).

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Pretty much.

In my experience its usually inhabited by folk looking for a drink whose pish wouldnt be tolerated in a pub.

Dependent on which bothy you go to. The easily accessible ones, I'd tend to agree with you. The harder to get to, not so much.

Also, time of the week and time of the year makes a big difference.

I've mostly had them all to myself or shared with other hill loving folk, as I pick and choose my times.

Edited by Futureboy

4 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

What's the deal with bothies? From what's been posted I gather it's like a communal hoose up a hill?

Aye - pretty much. For the folk that are really in to it, it's pretty much a separate hobby/way of life away from hillwalking/climbing, etc. There used to be a wee bit of secrecy around their locations (and I used to like stumbling on ones that I didn't know about) - but it's all very public knowledge now.

I've stayed in lots of bothies and for me, the best ones are the really remote ones as they tend to be fairly quiet and are worth a trip on their own. The busier/more well known ones can end up fucking stowed (I've ended up in the tent a few times and once (in the tiny Leaches bothy) ended up "sleeping" sitting up against a wall all night as I hadn't brought a tent) and they can be a bit mental if it's a MASSIVE CARRYOUT squad that's in. The other thing I've found in a couple of instances is where a bothy can be a bit cliquey at the weekend - where the regulars view it as a clubhouse sort of thing.

That sounded more negative than I intended as it is a good thing to do and part of the culture of our hills - and I've had some brilliant nights bothying with my mates. As long as you know what you're letting yourself in for, it should be on the to-do list.