Hillwalking Thread

My own list doesn't really contain many surprises:

1. Sgurr na Stri - summit camped this a couple of years ago. Undoubtedly my best hill experience and I doubt anything will surpass it. Didn't see a soul for 20-odd hours on a flat calm Spring Sunday/Monday. It's also the only time I've had a decent kip in a tent, drifting off the sound of a distant fishing boat bell and a waterfall up one of the Corries on the main Cuillin Ridge was pretty soothing, and sunrise the following morning was glorious. 

2. Stac Pollaidh - We were only out on it for 3 hours last year, but after a week of atrocious weather in Torridon, we were ready just to sack the second week of our holiday and head home, when the forecast improved and we got the offer of staying with friends outside Ullapool. Nipped up Stac P with one of them the first afternoon there and the views were mind-blowing especially as the sun dropped. The scramble to the true summit was much easier than I'd expected as well which was a bonus. 

3. Quinag - My partner and I had a brilliant day on this triple Corbett in Autumn 2017. They're fascinating hills with glorious views all round. It was blowing an absolute hoolie on the second top, then flat calm on the final one. We headed down to Ardvreck Castle for sunset afterwards. It's also the last walk we did together prior to her accident. 

4. Slioch - I've been lucky enough to climb it twice in perfect conditions both times. First time was April 2013 at a club meet. I had previously only climbed Nevis, the Angus munros and the Drumochters. Slioch was a completely different level of sensational. 

5. Beinn Alligin - definitely the most interesting of the Torridon peaks imo. Not a long walk, a gentle-ish descent, enjoyable scrambling over the horns and ridiculous views all over the place. I've been up it 3 times now and loved every outing. 

6. Carn Mor Dearg - I've been up this twice, by the East Ridge both times. Firstly after dropping off the Aonachs and secondly last summer coming up Coire Eoghainn on a brutally hot day. The river was a trickle so we had pretty easy walking up the slabs of the river bed to the bealach before the 350m pull up to CMD itself. We continued onto Nevis which was, as usual, pretty "meh".

7. Geal Charn (Drumochter) - A strange choice, but I've climbed this 4 times now and weirdly always really enjoy it. The views down Loch Ericht and across to the Ben Alder hills in winter are sensational and worth the minimal effort to get up there from the A9. 

8. Blaven via the South Ridge - This is a brilliant route, far superior to the slog up steep scree from the Slapin side. Loads of optional scrambling on the ridge, with great views of the Cuillin all the way and a non-optional scramble to cross from the south to the north (true) summit. Climbed this with my pals in May on a glorious day. 

9. Ben Mor Coigach/Sgurr an Fhidhleir - This pair of Grahams makes for a sensational outing. The intial approach is pretty shit, across boggy moorland followed by steep path. Once on the ridge of BMC though the fun begins, with loads of scrambling, amazing views and a fairly easy drop and reascent to the Fiddler, which has even better views. 

10. Ben Damh - Another hill I've climbed more than once - it's a cracking viewpoint as it's surrounded by many of the Torridon and Achnashellach mountains and lochans. Also a decent path more or less all the way up. 

10 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Ben Mor Coigach/Sgurr an Fhidhleir

I'm climbing these (weather permitting) next month - been meaning to do them for ages. How boggy is "boggy" BTW? I'm taking some mates who are more used to the "nice path all the way to the top" type of hills and I'm trying to broaden their horizons :)

10 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Sgurr na Stri

I have to admit, I wasn't really aware of this hill until I watched this video on youtube:

-and now it's near the top of my 2020 todo list as it looks unbelievable.....and as I've got the same tent as that guy, I might just make it a summit camp as I know it fits :)

12 hours ago, Swello said:
I have to admit, I wasn't really aware of this hill until I watched this video on youtube:
-and now it's near the top of my 2020 todo list as it looks unbelievable.....and as I've got the same tent as that guy, I might just make it a summit camp as I know it fits [emoji4]

It's not terribly boggy tbh. The first part bypasses cottages at Culnacraig for a bit, climbs steeply then levels off to some peat hags, cross those to gain the rocky slopes of BMC. Stick to the crest much as you can, it's great fun. Pathless descent to Bealach, will prob be boggy at the bottom, easy climb to the fiddler, good path all the way back to the road.

Sgurr na Stri is one of, if not THE best viewpoint in the country. There are 2 or 3 possible pitches at the summit for a 1-2 man tent. I'd post a photo if I wasn't using the Android app which is fucking shit. Check the tide times in and out. The river after the old bothy is a piece of cake at low tide.

32853291594_3606d8c8a9_b.jpg

33655044096_90b00e9f1f_b.jpg

Edited by Day of the Lords

4 hours ago, Swello said:

-and now it's near the top of my 2020 todo list as it looks unbelievable.....and as I've got the same tent as that guy, I might just make it a summit camp as I know it fits :)

Does some really good videos. 

If I am ever missing home, tend to find myself watching some of his climbs. 

12 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Does some really good videos. 

If I am ever missing home, tend to find myself watching some of his climbs. 

He must carry a fucking ton of gear with him - drone, camera, go-pro, camping gear - fair play to him as some of the stuff he produces is amazing.

Are they really that common? I've maybe been lucky but the only one I've seen on the hill was on Suilven but there were quite a few people there by that point, so it wasn't exactly peace and solitude to begin with. I've always found Tornadoes and Typhoons more annoying :)

7 hours ago, Swello said:

Are they really that common? I've maybe been lucky but the only one I've seen on the hill was on Suilven but there were quite a few people there by that point, so it wasn't exactly peace and solitude to begin with. I've always found Tornadoes and Typhoons more annoying :)

I haven't seen one yet, although I'd probably already done most of the "honeypot" hills before these things became fashionable. I imagine if some arsehole was buzzing one about close to me on my way up a hill I'd be tempted to fire a stone at it 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2019 at 16:50, Swello said:

He must carry a fucking ton of gear with him - drone, camera, go-pro, camping gear - fair play to him as some of the stuff he produces is amazing.

Never seen any drones during my trips. And I doubt I'm going to see any because of my arthritis. But I spend more time browsing sites like willpowerpeak trying to choose proper hiking shoes instead of hiking itself. What a shame, I used to be a mountain climber years ago, but now it's all in the past. Anyway, I'm glad I discovered this thread, amazing pics.

On 30/08/2019 at 19:55, LondonHMFC said:

Have any folk climbed Ben Ledi of late? 

It used to be one of my Dad's favourite to walk, so I said to him we should do it in September. However my only fear is the other month we did around 20 miles of the Corrieyairack Pass and he was absolutely fucked. Just want to make sure that there is a decent enough path to follow for when I have to carry his body back down. 

Just back in the hotel from doing it. Wasn't far away from carrying him back, then again he could have said the same for me. 

A real reality check as to how unfit I am. 

Very misty all day, but a cracking few hours with my Dad.

20190927_112431.jpg

20190927_112246.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a fairly mixed 2 weeks in the NW. Last week we stayed in Strathcarron, and managed two Corbetts, the piss easy Sgurr a'Chaorachain from Beakach na Ba, and the glorious An Ruadh Stac from Coulags.

Also the bonus of upsetting the owner of the estate who "didn't want us on his hill" despite the fact we'd be nowhere near his shoot.

Now in Ullapool where it's totally cunting it down. Hoping to bag Cul Beag and Canisp before heading home. 20191003_112015.jpeg20191003_115344.jpeg20191001_113908.jpeg20191001_121858.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Also the bonus of upsetting the owner of the estate who "didn't want us on his hill" despite the fact we'd be nowhere near his shoot.

What happened? That estate has a bit of a reputation in the past as far as I've heard. In most cases, estates keep shoots well away from the trade routes to Munros (I assume you used the coulags way that is shared with Maol Chean-dearg?) - the only time I tend to contact estates is when I'm using some weird way into a hill....

What happened? That estate has a bit of a reputation in the past as far as I've heard. In most cases, estates keep shoots well away from the trade routes to Munros (I assume you used the coulags way that is shared with Maol Chean-dearg?) - the only time I tend to contact estates is when I'm using some weird way into a hill....
We negotiated a lot more diplomatically than I would have preferred [emoji23] One of his pals was perfectly reasonable and said we'd be miles away from them and the owner backed down reluctantly.

Yeah, standard route up past MCD and back.

Climbing Ben Nevis in a couple of weeks. Scrolling through the last hundred or so posts it doesn't seem very popular here, but I'm a novice and have never done it before. In fact, my hillwalking experience is very limited - Ben Lomond, Ben Dornich, Ben Rinnes and Goat Fell are my conquests so far. Is it any good and does anyone have any tips? One of the other guys doing it is quite experienced and has suggested going up an alternative route than the main one.

Climbing Ben Nevis in a couple of weeks. Scrolling through the last hundred or so posts it doesn't seem very popular here, but I'm a novice and have never done it before. In fact, my hillwalking experience is very limited - Ben Lomond, Ben Dornich, Ben Rinnes and Goat Fell are my conquests so far. Is it any good and does anyone have any tips? One of the other guys doing it is quite experienced and has suggested going up an alternative route than the main one.
The tourist route up Ben Nevis is overcrowded and boring. The first half (ish) is a 'man made' track with lots of steps and the second half is unrelenting zig zagging across scree.

The Carn Mor Dearg route is the alternative route and is excellent but there is reasonable exposure, with a fairly narrow ridge.

If you just want a good walk with a friend and to tick off Ben Nevis then go for the tourist route. If you're reasonably fit and have a head for heights, go for the CMD route.

4 minutes ago, energyzone said:

The Carn Mor Dearg arete is the most popular "alternative" route - and it is a belter as you get to see the North face of the Ben and get to summit the 9th highest mountain in the UK en route) - you need a bit of a head for heights for it but nothing major when there is no snow and visibility is decent - the other "walking" alternatives have some full-on scrambles which wouldn't be a good plan for folk with very little experience IMO.

Here is a look at the Arete looking back from the Ban Nevis side and a look at the final climb onto the summit of the Ben.

20170326_113405.thumb.jpg.9aa4390e5b85f3abc304fdeb37717794.jpg

DSC05119.thumb.jpg.072b860052ebf030e3739e1ba21c529d.jpg

The tourist route is honestly quite a slog as there isn't much interest on the way up but is on a very good path (if you like that sort of thing) - not really much to say about it other than the standard disclaimer about being able to navigate from the summit back to the path when you are in the cloud (there have been fatalities over the years with folk ending up in the Gully because they took a straight line bearing off the summit). The only other point is that we are getting to the time of year where light becomes an issue but assuming you are back on the path by a decent time, getting down in darkness with a headtorch is pretty straightforward if you get delayed (or start too late).

Ben Nevis is a different beast depending on the route you take - for me the CMD Arete route was in my top few days on the hill (which I wasn't expecting to say) - the tourist route, wasn't.