Hillwalking Thread

40 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Is Ben Ledi the hill with a couple of false ‘tops’ ? I remember doing it in my youth and thinking “Thank feck we’re at the summit” only to be told there was a few hundred feet yet to go.....(twice !)

Aye it's got a couple of undulations near the top. The last wee bit is quite steep.

It's a good idiot proof day out in the winter.

These sorts of articles crop up from time to time and they always irk me, because on no planet is there a top ten British hill walks list where they're not all Scottish.

Lakes, Peaks, Snowdonia, Brecon beacons are all fine but whenever I go I just think "not as good as Scotland".

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/sep/05/hills-mountains-walks-uk-britain-readers-tips
They're usually a load of shite. Ben fucking Lawers being in there is nonsense. They're clearly made up by wankers who've never ventured beyond Inverness.

I don't like these sort of lists but in slight defence of that one, it seems like a personal one - ie, the best hills that each person has actually been to rather than a list of the best hills. It's just a shame that they obviously haven't been to the Cairngorms, Skye, Rum, Harris, Torridon, Knoydart, Inverpolly, Fisherfield, Glencoe, Ardgour, Mamores, etc, etc, etc

The oddest one to me was South Uist - which the tip says is not too remote (In UK terms, South Uist - being on the end of a 5 hour ferry from Oban - is as remote as you get excepting the Northern Isles)., not too challenging (it's rough, pathless stuff  exposed to whatever the Atlantic throws at you, that would be a  navigation nightmare even for fairly experienced walkers when the cloud was down, which is most of the time) and it even suggests staying at Uisinis bothy, which by any standards is a tricky place to get to (even if it is inarguably a great spot).  I think South Uist is a stunning place and merits being in lists  but to try to pass it off as an easy place to go walking/bothying to misty eyed guardian readers in Dulwich is waaay wide of the mark and is kind of irresponsible IMO.

8 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

These sorts of articles crop up from time to time and they always irk me, because on no planet is there a top ten British hill walks list where they're not all Scottish.

Lakes, Peaks, Snowdonia, Brecon beacons are all fine but whenever I go I just think "not as good as Scotland".

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/sep/05/hills-mountains-walks-uk-britain-readers-tips

Theres better hills out my backs than most of those. 

I would have a right weird top 10 because, just because of days i had on them, Atholl Ben Dearg and Glen Lyon Beinn Bhuidhe would probably be on them.

The best view of a hill is rarely on that hill.

Beinn Eighe is right up there as its fantastic in its own right with cracking views of Liathac.

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Theres better hills out my backs than most of those. 

I would have a right weird top 10 because, just because of days i had on them, Atholl Ben Dearg and Glen Lyon Beinn Bhuidhe would probably be on them.

The best view of a hill is rarely on that hill.

Beinn Eighe is right up there as its fantastic in its own right with cracking views of Liathac.

Let's see it then :)

1. Beinn Eighe - as above

2. Mayar - probably because i have climbed it about 20 times from every conceivable approach. This is probably an upvote for the whole Mounth really. Corrie Fee, Bachnagairn and Burn of Falzioch all amazing places.

2. Blà Bheinn. Great mountain in its own right but the views of the Cuillin are outstanding. I toyed with Bruach Na Frithe being at the apex of the Cuillin but the climb is a trudge.

3. Ben Nevis via CMD. Apart from the slog up to CMD which is awful the views of the north face are outstanding. Weird sensation emerging on the plateau if you have had a quiet day on the arete. Like walking into a night club.

4. Stac Pollaidh. Perfect wee pocket hill. Looks amazing from the road. Fanatastic setting and for a non-climber the correct fun level of scrambling.

5. Ben Hope. Not much to it but again the views.

6. Going to allow myself a non Scottish option. Errigal in Donegal. Like a miniature cross between Schiechallion and Buachaille Etive Mor perched on the Atlantic coast

7. Beinn Dearg, Atholl. Did this in my first year or two of walking and was blown away by the views on top. Not the sea of peaks you get from the Blackmount but more the fact there was just miles and miles and miles of upland. It felt like it you would never walk across it. Nice bothy too

8. Beinn Bhuidhe Glenlyon. First winter walk and im not sure it ever got much better in winter. Snow frozen on top from low down so easy walking and you get a perfect view right down Glencoe from the summit. The glissade down had me summit to car in about 40 minutes.

9. 5 Sisters. Standard. You cant not have Kintail. South Shiel ridge is fine but i have never not wished it over before it was.

10. Dundee Law. Im putting it out there that there are not better city hill views on Earth. Schiehallion and Lawers range on a decent day and right down the Tay. You can also watch (bits of) a match in either ground.  

I would probably have 5 of them different on a different day.

Was meant to do Beinn Dearg today as talking about it had put me in the mood. Got as far as Pitlochry and just wasnt feeling it for an 18 miler so pulled off and did Ben Vrackie and a Moulin Inn lunch instead. Probably easier to do 18 miles than that 1000 foot summit pull on Vrackie.

Left my phone in car so just believe me the visibility was outstanding. Ben Nevis clearly visible in great detail, must be best part of 70 miles away.

On 26/08/2019 at 08:29, MixuFixit said:

Jesus that path on Suilven, NC500's fault?

83 year old Edie believes that it is never too late - packing an old camping bag, leaving her life behind and embarking on an adventure she never got to have - climbing the imposing Mount Suilven in Scotland.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3823098/

There's not many Munros with their own movie.

That path on Suilven looks pretty standard. Always been a honeypot mountain. 

You can see the path on Carn Liath at Beinn a' Ghlo from about 20 miles away.

The one on Ben Lomond was about 20 foot wide when i was there but i havent been in about 10 years.

Nothing beats Ben Lui from the Dalmally side or the walk out from Beinn a' Chroin

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

2. Mayar - probably because i have climbed it about 20 times from every conceivable approach. This is probably an upvote for the whole Mounth really. Corrie Fee, Bachnagairn and Burn of Falzioch all amazing places.

2. Blà Bheinn. Great mountain in its own right but the views of the Cuillin are outstanding. I toyed with Bruach Na Frithe being at the apex of the Cuillin but the climb is a trudge.

3. Ben Nevis via CMD. Apart from the slog up to CMD which is awful the views of the north face are outstanding. Weird sensation emerging on the plateau if you have had a quiet day on the arete. Like walking into a night club.

4. Stac Pollaidh. Perfect wee pocket hill. Looks amazing from the road. Fanatastic setting and for a non-climber the correct fun level of scrambling.

5. Ben Hope. Not much to it but again the views.

6. Going to allow myself a non Scottish option. Errigal in Donegal. Like a miniature cross between Schiechallion and Buachaille Etive Mor perched on the Atlantic coast

7. Beinn Dearg, Atholl. Did this in my first year or two of walking and was blown away by the views on top. Not the sea of peaks you get from the Blackmount but more the fact there was just miles and miles and miles of upland. It felt like it you would never walk across it. Nice bothy too

8. Beinn Bhuidhe Glenlyon. First winter walk and im not sure it ever got much better in winter. Snow frozen on top from low down so easy walking and you get a perfect view right down Glencoe from the summit. The glissade down had me summit to car in about 40 minutes.

9. 5 Sisters. Standard. You cant not have Kintail. South Shiel ridge is fine but i have never not wished it over before it was.

10. Dundee Law. Im putting it out there that there are not better city hill views on Earth. Schiehallion and Lawers range on a decent day and right down the Tay. You can also watch (bits of) a match in either ground.  

I would probably have 5 of them different on a different day.

Was meant to do Beinn Dearg today as talking about it had put me in the mood. Got as far as Pitlochry and just wasnt feeling it for an 18 miler so pulled off and did Ben Vrackie and a Moulin Inn lunch instead. Probably easier to do 18 miles than that 1000 foot summit pull on Vrackie.

Left my phone in car so just believe me the visibility was outstanding. Ben Nevis clearly visible in great detail, must be best part of 70 miles away.

Good list. Beinn Dearg is underrated I feel. I biked into it December 2017 on a nice crisp day. Excellent summit views and we were only about 20 mins back to the car park from the bothy. Glorious. 

I'm not sure I've got any munros in my top ten. My top ten of utterly shite hill days is all munros 😂

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3823098/

There's not many Munros with their own movie.

"Mount Suilven"

tenor.gif.d9a68c37ce1a28f37054bb339f279c49.gif

Edited by Day of the Lords

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

<snip>

Really interesting list - and a few surprising ones to me (but find myself agreeing with the logic, eg, Mayar).

I've never tried to think of it in this way, but I'll need to have a go now:

1) Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan - my list will have lots of remote peaks in it as they have always been my favourites and this is one of those. Of all the the hills I've climbed, I've never felt like being in the middle of so many other mountains while being on a hill that is a classic in it's own right. An autumn camp in Glen Affric should be a bucket-list thing for everyone :)

2) A' Mhaighdean - The best summit view bar none IMO - a brilliant wild camp next to the weird causeway between the Fionn and Dubh lochs helps with this one - but next to Knoydart, Fisherfield/Letterewe is my ideal hill walking area.

3) Beinn Eighe - there seems to be an assumption that Liathach is indisputably the best mountain in Torridon - but Beinn Eighe was by far my favourite (I've yet to climb Ben Dearg to be fair). This camp definitely helped push it up the list

DSC04414.thumb.jpg.474cec3b6e1687788e12202065bcb301.jpg

4) Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh - My favourite peak on Skye and the day I had here, joining Sgurr a Mhadaidh, Ghreadaidh and Bannachdich via the narrowest ridge I've ever been on- my favourite day on the hills.

5) Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich - I clearly like an unpronounceable- but this is another very remote hill that is also interesting once you (finally) get there (unlike the neighbouring Lurg Mhor)  

6) Stac Pollaidh - next to the Cobbler, probably the hill that the greatest number of people have "climbed" without setting foot on the summit. Otherwise, everything you want in a mountain - heart stopping view, heart stopping wee scramble, a nice wee viewpoint to leave the non-scramblers while you head up to the top.

7) Fionnaven - I backpacked over this on a baking hot day that was the penultimate day of my Cape Wrath trail walk in 2005 - amazing views and a day that started in a camp on the Bealach Horn and ended up standing in the sea in Sandwood bay at sunset around 11pm is the definition of my happy place.  I also have a theory that Fionnaven is actually a Munro but due to the fact that it would literally fall to pieces when the resultant hordes arrived, everyone has agreed to keep it a secret.

8. Ben Aden - a hill that I only climbed a couple of weeks ago but it was that good. Knoydart is the roughest walking going - everything feels like an expedition - but the rewards are totally worth it.

9) Cona' Mheall - maybe a bit obscure - but I did this on a perfect winter day and the walk up past Choire Ghrunda and the walk along the icy ridge was amazing.

10) Craignaw - Living in the South of Scotland these days means that I've had some fun exploring the Borders hills near me but also the stuff in Galloway. Craignaw feels very remote and is much more akin to a highland mountain rather than the rounded heather and bog fests that I'm used to near me. Loch Neidricken is also a fantastic place that won't be known to many...

1 hour ago, keptie said:

Corrie Fee on the way up to Mayar this morning...was looking forward to the view.. 20190908_100615.jpeg

Did the cloud inversion last until you made the summit? Cloud inversions are one of the best things about being up hills early....

Did the cloud inversion last until you made the summit? Cloud inversions are one of the best things about being up hills early....
Yeah it was still there when I got above it and agree with you they do look fantastic when looking down on them in sunny blue skies.20190908_101721.jpeg