Hillwalking Thread

On holiday on Mull, so did Dun da Ghaoithe, the Corbett near Craignure that I've been meaning to do for a few years. Weird (and very easy) walk in that the first 2/3rds is on an access road for two comms towers - but the views of the Western Highlands (even on a hazy day like Sunday was) are fantastic making it one that I would do again. One that could easily be done as a daytrip or by going for a later ferry when leaving Mull....

DSC03051.thumb.jpg.fbce605682fcfac099c09cc4b4038ebd.jpg

DSC03038.thumb.jpg.a25ca746dd4998b4888d55dd3412d849.jpg

DSC03037.jpg

Edited by Swello

Ben Venue today with my son and his friend from next door.  Lovely weather, warm (but not too hot) with a gentle breeze.  Cracking views from Grangemouth to Ben Lawers and Ben Cruachan.

707009683_20190715_1010251.thumb.jpg.507a774cb1a208a40eb35b9e2db9bfb5.jpg134137621_20190715_1220121.thumb.jpg.9218d8479db610d392374a14632a0e15.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Ben Venue today with my son and his friend from next door.  Lovely weather, warm (but not too hot) with a gentle breeze.  Cracking views from Grangemouth to Ben Lawers and Ben Cruachan.

707009683_20190715_1010251.thumb.jpg.507a774cb1a208a40eb35b9e2db9bfb5.jpg134137621_20190715_1220121.thumb.jpg.9218d8479db610d392374a14632a0e15.jpg

Did you see the goats?

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of advice please. Doing a sponsored 26 mile hike in Glencoe at the end of the month. Although I do the odd parkrun, I'm slightly bricking it due to the distance. I believe the walk is mostly flat - obviously undulating with a climb at the end. My question is ... running shoes are much comfier to wear and weigh less. I've bought a pair of walking boots but even clumping about with them is a chore ... which should I wear to do the walk?

Will probably get hounded out of this thread but do any of you have advice for walking past cows? I have been charged at multiple times now trying to stick to the path when they're on it. I see other people just walking right through but I never can.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Bit of advice please. Doing a sponsored 26 mile hike in Glencoe at the end of the month. Although I do the odd parkrun, I'm slightly bricking it due to the distance. I believe the walk is mostly flat - obviously undulating with a climb at the end. My question is ... running shoes are much comfier to wear and weigh less. I've bought a pair of walking boots but even clumping about with them is a chore ... which should I wear to do the walk?

Do you know the route? I see people on the hills now with trail shoes and lots of people seem to be going for them. Not for me as i have chocolate ankles and am attracted to bogs.

You dont have to break in modern fabric boots

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, boulderdomb said:

Will probably get hounded out of this thread but do any of you have advice for walking past cows? I have been charged at multiple times now trying to stick to the path when they're on it. I see other people just walking right through but I never can.

Avoid early spring when they have calves at foot as people do get killed.

What do you mean charged at? Do you mean they came towards you or you actually had to climb a tree through fear of death. 

Usually head down and just walk through them is fine but they so seem to take interest on some people more than others.

When we were wee we used to get a chase off the cows by firing airguns at their arses to wind them up and them clmbing an old oak tree after they stampeded at us #perthshire 

Edited by invergowrie arab

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

After being a "boots" person for a long time, the last few years I've been using trail runners (as opposed to normal running shoes) on walks where I know I'll be on paths for the vast majority of the time - and in my experience (everyone's different) they have been *great* for longer distance stuff. The basic science is that you're lifting considerably less weight over the course of the day and I have noticed a difference. On big and/or rocky mountain days, it's still boots 100% of the time.

The main note of caution is that does change your walking style (gait?) and so initially it can actually cause some niggly aches and pains if you have been used to wearing boots a lot...

Missed out on a Shankland masterclass yesterday for this pish on Stob a' Choire Odhair and Stob Gobhar. Brutally hot and brutal ascents/descents but top 10 summit views in the country material.

20190803_140730.thumb.jpg.99815d385f4b89f7d2e4d7734a12dfa5.jpg
Ugh. I did those 5 years ago and still remember the horrendous ascent of Ghabhar and the even more spirit crushingly boggy descent.

Been in the alps the past week. Based in Chamonix, got the bus to Le Tour and trekked up to the Albert Premier Hut for an overnight stay taking in some of Glacier du Tour

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

The next morning, trekked up the glacier and through the Col du Tour into Switzerland. Climbed to the summit of Aguille du Tour, where the views of Mont Blanc to the South and Matterhorn to the East were outstanding.

IMG_3357.jpg

Then it was a trek across the Trient Glacier for an overnight at Cabane du Trient

IMG_3370.jpg

Next morning the weather had came in, so a planned summit of Aiguille d’Argentière was cancelled and it was back down the glacier to Chamonix in zero visibility

IMG_3383.jpg

A shower and nights rest and it was on to Mont Blanc the following day.

Plan was the Gouter Route via Tete Rousse hut for lunch. The weather was excellent and the only issue was passing the Grand Couloir (death gully) around midday when the rockfall was in full swing. Literally legging it across the gully whilst other climbers lookout and shout for the falling rocks above your head, was quite the experience.
The 600m climb from Tete Rousse wasn’t a hard as expected but the view of and from the Gouter were outstanding

DSC00861.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

A night in the Gouter then it was summit day. A bit disappointed to say the weather was outstanding until we hit the bosses ridge, when the clouds came in and reduced visibility to f**k all. A bit scary walking across a 2 foot wide ridge with thousands of feet either side with very little visibility. Even still, 3 hours 30 after leaving the Gouter we reached the Summit!

DSC00724.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

Myself, the other half and our guide Mauro on the Summit.

EC5F2B48-2AAF-44BB-9F6C-F62798197136.jpg