Hillwalking Thread

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Done the Tarmachan ridge  a few years back in the winter, was a great walk but we shat out of the down climb at the end due to ice.  

ridge 2.jpg

I've done it a few times but never in winter - could imagine that a couple of bits could be interesting under snow/ice

On 29/06/2019 at 21:57, Swello said:

The Tarmachan ridge is a real classic IMO - that's quite difficult to beat round there - you can either do it as a straightforward up and back or do the whole ridge (which is the highlight). Ben Lawers is across the road and is the easiest 4000 footer for beginners - high start, good path and a bonus non-descript Munro on the way up....

Ben Chonzie is closest Munro to Crieff - it's a bit of a bore TBH but might be worth doing given you are so close. How far are you prepared to go? Schiehallion is less than an hour and it's a great viewpoint on a good day. It's also visible from almost everywhere, so it's great orienting yourself when you want to impress people by rhyming off the names of all the hills you can see :)

Cheers, Swello!

Tarmachan looks a cracker and I love that name for some reason.  We'll be near Greenloaning/Braco (I think) so Lawers, Lomond even etc could all be done - don't fancy Ben Lomond as imagine it'll be hoaching too. We'll be heading back to Dundee on the Friday, so I think Schiehallion is a fine enough option. I'll have  wee read on Walkhighlands as well.

Haha, I know what you men about showing off. I speak a bit of Gaelic, nothing great and all my tenses are probably horrible but can pronounce it reasonably well and understand it, and was quite lucky up Carn an Righ and Glas Tulaichean where we met a French couple who asked what they were called/meant and pronounced etc and my pal points at me as if I'm an expert, lucky I was up two that I roughly knew, then they got their phone out and got me to say(probably butcher to a native Gaelic speaker) about 10 munroes for them - that they were planning on doing on their trip here. :)

I went up Ben More (Mull) today. Very enjoyable but it was covered in cloud at the top. It was too much hassle to get my phone out with my waterproofs on so here's a view from a clearer viewpoint.20190703_143749.jpg

Fourteen done now. Just the shitloads left to do.

Got the bug time, I really wish I started when I was younger.  A few pals of mine used to do it regularly when we were in our late teens ; but I was always too lazy to get up at 6/7am for it.

Now to sound like a bit of a twat but ; get out there folks - what a marvelous and beautiful country we have.

Did Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin on Wednesday - Vorlich was fairly straight forward whilst over to Stuc a' Chroin was a bit of a trudge and even a wee scramble (IMO) the last bit - quite rocky, edgy and the ground back round to the footpath for Vorlich was really boggy and difficult.

Meall Nan Tarmachan today. Started off lovely and the mist/haar?(what do we call it, fellow hikers ;)?) came in up the top so unfortunately couldnt' see squad and decided against doing the ridge. Maybe next year or if I have some time again this year, I'll stay near Killin and do Lawers etc and possibly this one again to see what I was missing.

Had a folk Spotify playlist on the travels back from Meall Nan Tarmachan back to Dundee via the backroads and The Corries - Loch Tay Boat Song came on as I was driving half-way to Aberfeldy ; absolutle goosebumps hearing that and the name checking of Loch Tay ; Killin ; Aberfeldy ; Ben Lawers in the song and being in the region too.

I’m doing Ben More (Grampian) and the one next to it tomorrow. Forecast says clear so hoping for a fine day on the hills. Attempted Ben more in the past but bailed due to white out conditions. Its steep as hell and I’m glad I know this time round what I’m getting myself in for.

8 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m doing Ben More (Grampian) and the one next to it tomorrow. Forecast says clear so hoping for a fine day on the hills. Attempted Ben more in the past but bailed due to white out conditions. Its steep as hell and I’m glad I know this time round what I’m getting myself in for.

Is that the most northernly Munro? 

I’m heading to Loch Lomond area in a couple of hours and we will pick a Munro once we get there, weather looks good for today. I’ve done Ben Bhuide, Narnain, Ime and Vane so only Ben Vorlich to do to complete the Arrochar Alps Munroes, but my friend hasn’t done Narnain and Ime so I will probably be doing them for a second time. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Is that the most northernly Munro? 

I’m heading to Loch Lomond area in a couple of hours and we will pick a Munro once we get there, weather looks good for today. I’ve done Ben Bhuide, Narnain, Ime and Vane so only Ben Vorlich to do to complete the Arrochar Alps Munroes, but my friend hasn’t done Narnain and Ime so I will probably be doing them for a second time. 

That's Ben Hope. Ben More Assynt is the Munro in the far north. Given that Ben More (or Beinn Mhor, or whatever spelling) just means "big hill", there are hunners of them as the gaels didn't seem to be very imaginative :)

I'm stuck on Tiree for today as I got finished my work early but couldn't get a space on an earlier ferry. Not the worst place in the world to be stuck tbh, and I've never had much free time when over here working in the past so I'm going to make the most of it and do some sightseeing. Going to attempt to summit the highest peak on the island, the towering 141m Ben Hynish.

tiree.thumb.jpg.4d1aed19ca6e65562cf1e399927d3f32.jpg

I'm stuck on Tiree for today as I got finished my work early but couldn't get a space on an earlier ferry. Not the worst place in the world to be stuck tbh, and I've never had much free time when over here working in the past so I'm going to make the most of it and do some sightseeing. Going to attempt to summit the highest peak on the island, the towering 141m Ben Hynish.
tiree.thumb.jpg.4d1aed19ca6e65562cf1e399927d3f32.jpg

"Oh the misty blue hiiiiiiillllllllllls...."

Had a day oop north the day, early start to go do Ben Macdui and Cairngorm. Clag all day with drizzle and biting breeze but really enjoyed them hills. We walk mainly on the shorter steeper hills of the West coast so a day on more rolling less knee breaking hills was fun. Think it would be a far scarier prospect on a less inviting winter's day.

Finally got back into the hills yesterday, tackling Sgor na-h'Ulaidh and Beinn Fhionnlaidh from the Glen Etive side. It must have absolutely pished down the days before as both hills were soggy as f**k, the approaches were soggy as f**k and the descents were soggy as f**k. The climb of the Sgor was steep in the last 250m but enjoyable, the descent down to 430m was tortuous, but not as bad as the pathless ascent of BF. I was absolutely fucked by the time we got back to the car, 7.5 hours after starting. And also highly sunburned. Plenty of clegs about as well, the fuckers. 

Etive Hills-3.jpg

54 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Beinn Mhanach today. What can i say, its uphill all the way.

The actual climbing was an hour and a half of nose to the grass unrelenting steepness. The only upside is the grass is nice and dry and firm.

20190707_141543.jpg

Never enjoyed that hill, the walk in and out to it was boring as f**k slog, didn't help having wet feet from crossing the numerous burns and a fog blanket on top meant we seen nothing. 

I didnt mind the walk in as it was a nice day and the rivers were low. I meant to do this alongside Beinn Achaladair  but bailed out due to clag. Would advise anyone to avoid doing as a single.
Mhanach is pretty grim. We tried it by biking in from the Lyon Dam to make it more interesting. That didn't work [emoji1]