Hillwalking Thread

25 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Winter hillwalking does seem like an entirely different proposition. How do you even go about it? I'm not a major hiker but even if I was I think I'd be wary about going out into the hills in that kind of weather.

It is different and unless your navigation skills are decent and you've got some winter skills (knowing how to self-arrest, use crampons, avalanche awareness, etc) - then it limits what you can safely do. On the other hand, it makes fairly boring hills into much more interesting days and I've always loved it. Assuming you can find someone with some experience to go with, getting a great winter day can hook you on mountains for ever.

Some of the best days I've done (eg, Traverse of Grey Corries, Strathfarrar 6, Mullardoch, even The Ben via Carn Mor Dearg Arrette) have been full-on winter days and I'm itching to get some winter walking done now :)

17390507_1389726004436112_4621205941308854501_o.thumb.jpg.32ce2c3fc303689bcbd38beccde273d6.jpg

About to head along the pointy bit on the way up The Ben...(my axe was in my hand before anyone points that out the obvious mistake :) )

Nice wander yesterday on some fairly obscure hills in Glen Lyon (Meall Bhuidhe and Sron a Choire Chnapanich). The most challenging part of the day was making it over the road from loch Tay to Glen Lyon alive - it was an ice rink after the Ben Lawers car park and ended up being like a dry stream bed with a layer of stones all over it :)

The road along to Pubil was totally deserted, my tyre tracks were the only ones in the snow and I saw no sign of anyone at all during the entire time in Glen Lyon (probably the consequence of doing Corbetts rather than Munros). The walking was almost all pathless and the summit ridge of Meall Bhuidhe had  the  most annoying type of snow - the type that supports your weight for half a second and then gives way - it was fucking tiring considering it was only a couple of km round to the summit. 

Even taking into account the mandatory drop, linking Corbetts always seems to be fairly painful - they don't seem to "fit together" in the way Munros tend to do. Getting from one to the other involved a couple of (mostly frozen) peat bogs and some nadgery wandering. Lots of deer up here although never managed to get a photo of them as usual.

Views were great all day (Beinn Heasgarnich looks very nice from this side, even though it would be a horrible way to climb it and it must be only impressive view of Beinn Mhanach) - and I love the fact that I can just choose to head wherever the weather is best when planning a walk, like in the early days of doing Munros...

DSC02151.thumb.jpg.fda711c4b6cfe43b6cf10f5a30540e21.jpgDSC02158.thumb.jpg.eb617d00e2ce491afc79dd3754901a8f.jpgDSC02176.thumb.jpg.b08e71c1d4c2a54bb0cbd7d43e86a08d.jpgIMG_20190210_111013.thumb.jpg.868068b6223bb18f61e48185b114fb64.jpg

Bit of advice sought... I'm planning on doing the Glen Affric Way soon (Drumnadrochitt to Morvich) and have got most of my route fairly well planned.  I'm aiming to finish off my journey by taking the train from Kyle of lochalsh back to Inverness. I understand there's a bus that can take me from the Jac o' Bite cafe at Allt a' Chruinn to Kyle of Lochalsh, but I can't seem to find any timetables or even evidence of a bus stop at this location. 

Has anybody else taken this bus?     Do I need to pre book a trip or is it a normal service stop?

8 hours ago, dasco66 said:

Bit of advice sought... I'm planning on doing the Glen Affric Way soon (Drumnadrochitt to Morvich) and have got most of my route fairly well planned.  I'm aiming to finish off my journey by taking the train from Kyle of lochalsh back to Inverness. I understand there's a bus that can take me from the Jac o' Bite cafe at Allt a' Chruinn to Kyle of Lochalsh, but I can't seem to find any timetables or even evidence of a bus stop at this location. 

Has anybody else taken this bus?     Do I need to pre book a trip or is it a normal service stop?

The Glasgow to Skye Citylink bus has a timetable stop at: 

"Ault Na Chruinn on A87"

...en route to Kyle of Lochalsh.

https://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables/Winter2018/WEB_GlasgowSkyev2.pdf

Edit to add: looks like it's 'flag down the bus' rather than an actual bus stop there.

Edited by FlyerTon

• 2 weeks later...

Was in the Lakes last weekend with a bunch of mates and given the tropical weather and the fact that the snow had almost totally gone, I persuaded everyone that a trip up Helvellyn via Striding and Swirrell edges was a good idea to let me get another Furth (Narrator:  "It was").

DSC02177-2.thumb.jpg.424f4683bfc04ff436306f4a919d6c52.jpg

DSC02188-2.thumb.jpg.c5c18a3ec04d84f9683b63e2fccf6bed.jpg

IMG_20190223_092312-2.thumb.jpg.ad7678b538d78e161b61069f1fcbef50.jpg

DSC02199-2.thumb.jpg.105782b1fcd6ac192e4b68b34199aff3.jpg

DSC02192-2.thumb.jpg.73af57e44208e5385a6a151a38457949.jpg

DSC02216-3.thumb.jpg.d7b32fbaa808f5a5449f9ef3a409f1a9.jpg

This was a classic route (although v busy to the extent that you never see in Scotland, Nevis aside) - and the scrambling was of the fun sort rather than particularly exposed or technically hard (think a shorter version of the CMD arete on the Ben).  There is one downclimb at the end of Striding Edge that needs a little bit of a head for heights, although there are plenty of holds.

Haven't spent much time in the lakes over the years - would like to do it more often.....

• 1 month later...

Weather was too good this weekend not to be out somewhere but given that a nice easter weekend would mean much busy-ness, I waited until today to try to minimise that. Headed for Lochaber to do Cruach Innse and Sgurr Innse which always looked like nice hills when I was headed through the Laraig Leaches in the past. It was pretty windy high-up and there was a massive amount of haze for some reason - but it was a great walk, even though these hills, both over 800m, look hilariously small in this part of the country...

5cbe26e31487b_InnseApr19-015.thumb.jpg.ce96e8f41cb01fc8b328acf6430a9c9e.jpg5cbe26e4251dd_InnseApr19-023.thumb.jpg.7a3b0bc268f7492fd36d8f1e8788a2c4.jpg5cbe26e506c04_InnseApr19-048.thumb.jpg.5f41e4647174d51014fbd95910bc4e62.jpg5cbe26e617e82_InnseApr19-070.thumb.jpg.dd33a1d2ee214776d43746a5600b81fb.jpg5cbe26e6ea405_InnseApr19-076.thumb.jpg.8fcc29801d287b8294115e77a6e74a93.jpg

Anyone here blitzed all 12 Munros on the Mullardoch and Affric circuit in one go? 

Looking at about 35 miles and 5000m ascent over the course, so should be fairly achievable over 2 days with a camp out in the middle I would think. 

Anyone here blitzed all 12 Munros on the Mullardoch and Affric circuit in one go? 
Looking at about 35 miles and 5000m ascent over the course, so should be fairly achievable over 2 days with a camp out in the middle I would think. 
I'm hoping for a 2-3 day effort on these in Autumn. Check out Walk Highlands for some excellent TRs on these. A couple of nutters have done them in a day, there's cracking reports by "Ketzster" and "Andrew Doggett" on that madness. The main problem is the potential to run out of steam at the far end of the Loch. You're fucking miles from anywhere.

51 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:
1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

I'm hoping for a 2-3 day effort on these in Autumn. Check out Walk Highlands for some excellent TRs on these. A couple of nutters have done them in a day, there's cracking reports by "Ketzster" and "Andrew Doggett" on that madness. The main problem is the potential to run out of steam at the far end of the Loch. You're fucking miles from anywhere.

That’s nuts. I’m thinking about heading up early and setting off with the aim of camping, in the valley on the far side of the Loch (6) after descending An Socach.

First day should be reasonably straight forward 12/13 miles.  Day 2 be a long trek over 20 miles with a fair bit of ascent. An early start should make for a reasonable finish on day 2. 

969AF712-9DC3-4198-8699-4EE27AD3BF2F.jpeg

Day 1 is a toughie. The drops reascents between the northern 4 are pretty big. My pal did the route over 2 days with a bivvy on Mullach na Dheiraghiain. He was fucked after the northern 4 then climbing back up from the far end. I don't think there much in the of water sources on the ridges either.

My plan was to do that route anti clockwise over 3 days dropping down to Alltbeithe and a bivvy on the northern tops.

I think 2 days is absolutely possible but I like to finish on a half day so I can drive home and I don't see the point killing yourself on the hills to save a night.

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I considered it and split them in the end - and was glad I did TBH. I walked along Loch Mullardoch out to An Socach - and by the time I made it back to the dam, I was fucking shattered. I've done lots of big days but for some reason, that one sticks in my mind as one of the hardest (it was still under snow even though it was a May weekend) and an absolute highlight.  I couldn't have done another epic day after that - sitting about in my pants was almost too much effort for me the next day :)

My humble advice would be - given that Affric and Mullardoch are some of the best mountains in the country - split them into enjoyable walks rather than flog the f**k out of it. 

Just now, MixuFixit said:

That's always been my worry with this route, you'll need to have a heavy pack because there's nowhere to fill up.

There's the Gobh-Altan burn which runs into the loch in the west, however that comes with all the attendant risks of low level running water. I've also seen reference to a reliable spring on the east side of the bealach below Beinn Fhionnlaidh. Even if that's the case there's still 4 summits to deal with between those two sources, unless you want to lose some real height and drop into one of the glens to refill. I think i'll be carrying hydration and purification tablets. 

I keep one of these:

14-00014%20%20Sawyer%20Mini%20Water%20Fi

in my pack all the time now (about £25). I originally got it because of dodgy water sources in the southern upland grouse moors when I was camping but it weighs nothing and it has come in handy if needed to be able to use basically any water I see (usually lochans that I would never think of drinking from) when I'm on a long day at height - really recommend it for multiple day stuff. 

The walk out to Beinn Fionnlaidh was the only time I badly ran out of water - we couldn't find any on a blazing hot day and I was pretty worried at the time - it was only when we dropped right off the hills that we got some.

A fantastic thread.

I've done 6 in the last week - mostly Glenshee area. Last weekend : Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ and Beinn Lutharn Mhor. It took us about 7 hours all in all, quite brisk and a brief break overlooking Loch nan Eun. Fairly straight forward, although the last one was a bit of a slog and we ventured off track a bit and ended up going up a heather face, but well worth it and absolutely glorious once up.

Did Carn Aosda, The Cairnwell and Carn a' Gheoidh today. Did it all in 2hrs 40 or so. I'd recommend these for anyone who's just getting in to walking,  start bagging munros or even fitness or so. Very straight forward and not too difficult e.g you wouldn't need boots or so. Wrap up though! Carn Aosda was baltic and windy though.

I'm a fairweather climber,  but forgot how good it is getting out up there.

And even at Glenshee Ski Centre - touristy-  I didn't meet a single soul up there ; and last weekend, we met about 8 people all in all in the space of 8-9 hours walking to/from the car to the walk.

Amazing.