Hillwalking Thread

le Etive Mor. Haven't done either yet but heard really good things about both. Especially with the weather being so good at the moment.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/aonacheagach.shtml

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/buachailleetivemor.shtml

Alternatively, for an easier hike I could suggest Buachaille Etive Beag, its a fairly easy walk up to the bealach then you can decide if you want to take in both Munros or just one.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/buachailleetivebeag.shtml

The Lost Valley also a cracking walk, but not involving any hills.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/lostvalley.shtml

The Wee Buachaille is  a decent shout - but an alternative would be the 2 munros of Beinn a Bheithir at Ballachullish. They are a straightforward enough walk and are superb viewpoints in this kind of weather.

The other "biggies" round Glencoe all have their own challenges and depend on @Mon_The_Fife's confidence/experience. Eagach is a stunning day but is obviously the most consistently technical walk on the mainland and not one to do if you're not ready for it IMO. Bidean Nam Bian is a proper hill day with no huge technical problems (when there is no snow) but is still a reasonable challenge.

A wee left field option if there isn't much time is Beinn a Chrulaiste, a Corbett directly across from the Buachaille. It's a quick walk but most importantly, it gives the kind of views of the Buachaille and Glencoe that would have the tourists doing handbrake turns into laybys on the A82 spewing with envy. The view when I was up there in January:

IMG_20180107_131346-Edit.thumb.jpg.5cf6822668184c06e1717b82e00b0ab4.jpg

DSC01574.thumb.jpg.edffc5a757e3607f483e8fab5ab99639.jpg

Edited by Swello

11 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Had a few scorchers lately, I expect like everyone else:

2 weeks ago, The Strathfarrars:

43222404912_2a642e23a0_z.jpg

How did you get on with access to these? I was looking at doing this route soon but read about access restrictions for vehicles to the Glen.

How did you get on with access to these? I was looking at doing this route soon but read about access restrictions for vehicles to the Glen.
Info here: https://www.mountaineering.scot/campaigns/safeguarding-access/strathfarrar-access

Basically get there for gate opening time or close to it as it's limited to 25 vehicles a day. Although we did it on a scorching hot Sunday and there were only 7 cars in.

2 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Info here: https://www.mountaineering.scot/campaigns/safeguarding-access/strathfarrar-access

Basically get there for gate opening time or close to it as it's limited to 25 vehicles a day. Although we did it on a scorching hot Sunday and there were only 7 cars in.

Nice one cheers, is it a good outing?

Nice one cheers, is it a good outing?
Yup, first couple of summits are decent, 3&4 and the walk out are lovely. The approach to 1 is usually boggy but nice and dry just now, also take plenty of water, there aren't any easily reachable sources on the ridge. We left bikes at the end for the 4.5 miles of road to get back to the start point.

Full route is about 15 miles with 1600m of total ascent.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it. Hiked Ben Vorlich on Monday in absolutely glorious weather. The plan was to do Pap of Glencoe today, however the weather isn’t great today and it looks as though it has to rain all day so looks as though a smaller hike to Polldubh Falls instead.

IMG_1531289569.358528.jpg

Edit for photo.

On 7/8/2018 at 23:11, shawfield shed boy said:

Ive always fancied hillwalking but wouldnt know where to start. Stupid Q perhaps to some though is their any clubs i could tag along. Rather than jumping in head first myself and without the correct clothes and Equipment

There are a few meetup groups main one being the Glasgow Hill walking club there is also an Alloa one as well on there.  Only thing that gets me is there are some that have done all the Munro's a couple of times which for a beginner is a bit daunting.  I just tend to find a few thats easy enough to get the confidence up and join in after that,  Ben lawyers, Ben Ghlass and Ben Chonzie good ones for starting out.

Massive thanks to  @Swello @invergowrie arab @FlyerTon @ThatBoyRonaldo for their advice further up the thread (and anyone else I've missed). Me and the girlfriend have booked to come up Tuesday to Friday this week. Based on the advice above, and not wanting to commit to a specific hill until we see the weather conditions, we're basing ourselves in Crianlarich. However, it now transpires that we're broke as a joke, and unlikely to venture beyond Crianlarich, so will most probably be going up one of the Crianlarich Hills. I am tempted to go up Ben More and carry on to Stob Binnein. Only problem is I don't think any of the Crianlarich Hills are easy, and Ben More sounds especially difficult. We're both in decent shape (I cycle about 15 miles per week on hills and she walks, does lunges and treadmills daily) but we're not hillwalkers. We're ill equipped with only regular trainers to wear and although my navigation skills are decent (I drive as part of my job) I've little hillwalking experience. Not sure if we're being stupid going up Ben More?

One possible alternative is getting the train through to Corrour from Crianlarich. £17 return doesn't sound a lot, but the way things are, £34 feels for both of us feels pricey, but can maybe stretch to it if necessary.

Edit: sorry, have also just seen Ben Cruachan is accessible from Falls of Cruachan train station which is only 36 mins (and £14.50) from Crianlarich by train. That looks like the front runner at the moment if Ben More is ill-advised.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

2 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Massive thanks to  @Swello @invergowrie arab @FlyerTon @ThatBoyRonaldo for their advice further up the thread (and anyone else I've missed). Me and the girlfriend have booked to come up Tuesday to Friday this week. Based on the advice above, and not wanting to commit to a specific hill until we see the weather conditions, we're basing ourselves in Crianlarich. However, it now transpires that we're broke as a joke, and unlikely to venture beyond Crianlarich, so will most probably be going up one of the Crianlarich Hills. I am tempted to go up Ben More and carry on to Stob Binnein. Only problem is I don't think any of the Crianlarich Hills are easy, and Ben More sounds especially difficult. We're both in decent shape (I cycle about 15 miles per week on hills and she walks, does lunges and treadmills daily) but we're not hillwalkers. We're ill equipped with only regular trainers to wear and although my navigation skills are decent (I drive as part of my job) I've little hillwalking experience. Not sure if we're being stupid going up Ben More?

One possible alternative is getting the train through to Corrour from Crianlarich. £17 return doesn't sound a lot, but the way things are, £34 feels for both of us feels pricey, but can maybe stretch to it if necessary.

Edit: sorry, have also just seen Ben Cruachan is accessible from Falls of Cruachan train station which is only 36 mins (and £14.50) from Crianlarich by train. That looks like the front runner at the moment if Ben More is ill-advised.

Ben More from Crianlarich is not particularly difficult, but it is fairly steep pretty much the whole way.  With the weather being so dry you would probably get away with trainers... but don't hold me to that.  I doubt you'd be any better off on Cruachan to be honest - maybe bite the bullet and buy a pair of proper boots, you can get an ok pair for £30 or so if you find a sale.

2 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

If you're "stuck" in Crianlaraich,  another option is the relatively benign Munros in Glen Falloch. If you took the Citylink bus from Crianlarich to Inverarnan (literally 10 mins), you could do Beinn Chabhair. It's a v decent walk (although Beinglas falls will be a bit less exciting than usual after all the dryness) , all on paths IIRC and is less of a massive slog than Ben More is from the Crianlarich side.  And the benefit is that the money you save on train fares could be used for a pint in the Drovers :)

Beinn-Chabhair-banner-04-930x310-930x310

If you go on walkhighlands.com there is a meet up section on the forums. Post that you will be in Crianlarich on what dates and someone passing through may be able to give you a lift and take you with them. Lots of people on there seem to be more than happy to head into hills with strangers so don't be shy trying.

Scottish Hills FB page too, they might even have spare boots.

Ben More is steep as f**k but no technical difficulties. Once you are up Stob Binnein is no bother.

You are not a million miles from Tyndrum so hitchhiking, bus or train all options and Beinn Challuim is an easy day. It's usually too wet for trainers but might be OK just now. TBH you could probably walk it and make a full day of it. I would say same for the Ben Lui munros from Cononish but boots essential here. Can be a quagmire at best of times.

If you want to save cash you always have option of using two of your days walking up and down the WHW from Crianlarich. A longish but very doable day would be to walk to Bridge of Orchy and back on the WHW. 22 miles in total but leave at 9 am you will be having a pint in the hotel by 1pm and home by 6. The views of Beinn Dorain are some of the best on the WHW. After that you might be glad of a rest day and just take a wee wander down to the Falls of Falloch or Loch Iubhair.

@Margaret Thatcher

Edited by invergowrie arab

Finally gotten out to the hills again.

Couple of weeks ago I did Beinn Dubhchraig & Ben Oss, waiting (as the guide books said) for a drought.

Beinn Dubhchraig as seen from the bit that's usually a bogfest.

5b522c59cdb24_12.Thepath-drierthanusual.JPG.43beb8d35bf8d7002f697bc81e19ba49.JPG

Looking down at Loch Lomond.

5b522c606ece4_65.LochLomond.JPG.0fb81652376ba25b7867d0213f5a8f02.JPG

Ben Oss & Ben Lui from Beinn Dubchraigh.

5b522c6376a8c_70.BenLuibehindBenOss.JPG.33866d714f57d9d1ee86b3e7edc0a9c2.JPG

Panorama from Ben Oss,

5b522c6d1cf0b_107.PanoramafromBenOss.thumb.JPG.751449033a265e80b6f967a7e2f576a4.JPG

Two days ago I climbed Beinn Mhanach, again, making use of the dry weather. Fantastic views from the lower top, Beinn a' Chuirn.

Looking down the glen past the viaduct.

5b5231428d139_16.Theendinthedistance.JPG.cfcbaac1e3e69e30d358b5ba8ccfbf04.JPG

Beinn a' Chuirn & Beinn Mhanach.

5b52314bd30a9_38.Objectivegettingcloser.JPG.434506eae0ea731722917e995a1843c9.JPG

Looking back down the glen from Beinn a' Chuirn.

5b52315077847_83.LookingdownGleannAchadh-innisChailein.JPG.568e01b463a7e915c0dc0846b591c24e.JPG

The Cruachan hills in the distance.

5b523153a2067_91.Cruachanhills.JPG.0cac76e8cfb7ae680e04796cb09e84e7.JPG

Beinn Dorain.

5b523156a80c8_107.BeinnDorain.JPG.0fee87899a694cf382ea9959f3299786.JPG

The viaduct.

5b523159dcbe8_161.Lookingupthroughtheviaduct.JPG.a4c8cf2b15067ce890467ca6e2896ef1.JPG

Yesterday, I thought I'd hatched the perfect plan to shoehorn both my hobbies into 1 trip - something I've never managed before. I'd quite fancied climbing Cairnsmore of Fleet for a while given that it's a pretty unique viewpoint but it's long way to go for a fairly short walk and so it never got past the planning stage. With 'Well playing Stranraer in the Betfred with a Saturday 3pm kickoff - it seemed too good an opportunity to miss. After re-assuring my wife that I wasn't actually leaving at 7am for an all day football/bevvy marathon - I headed down past Creetown and headed off up the waymarked path. 

The first part of the walk was really muggy and I had a maddening personal cloud of flies, normally seen round a tramp's head in a cartoon, that followed me for ages. Once I got through the forest, the flies gave up but the cloud started. I did the rest of the walk in low visibility, following the good path and seeing f**k-all. To prove that it's not all blue skies and 100 mile views - here is the summit view that I was rewarded with:

IMG_20180721_105434.thumb.jpg.42908ca91341dbab7d25124bc0c6618b.jpg

Still - the 'Well would cheer me up by sticking a few past Stranraer, right?

PANO_20180721_143358.thumb.jpg.90f6b69c81b625776f076206237b264c.jpg

Wrong. Bastart.

• 4 weeks later...

Did Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime yesterday in the pissing rain and fog.

A bit of scrambling to get up Narnain, but the walk to Ime was fairly straight forward. Was going to take in the cobbler as well, but I was soaked to the bone and didn’t bother with the views being non existent due to fog.

IMG_0443.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had a lazy as f**k summer and haven't managed a single munroe. Going to do Ben Vorlich at Loch Lomond on Saturday though. Anyone done it from Ardlui train station? Few routes online but always trust the P&B massive a bit more.