Hillwalking Thread

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

I get. The only ones I genuinely feel I can't be arsed doing are the Fannichs and the two pairs north of Strathfillan. Steep pathless and boggy aren't my thing

Meal Ghlas and Sguith Chuil, north of Strathfillan were in my last 10 as I couldn't be arsed with them at all - and I was right. The Fannaichs, I liked but I did them in two big days (and a short day for the 1 south of Loch Fannaich (Fionn Bheinn?). 

59 minutes ago, Swello said:

Meal Ghlas and Sguith Chuil, north of Strathfillan were in my last 10 as I couldn't be arsed with them at all - and I was right. The Fannaichs, I liked but I did them in two big days (and a short day for the 1 south of Loch Fannaich (Fionn Bheinn?). 

Fionn Bheinn I did as a quick up and down on way to Torridon.

Already attempted western Fannichs day after An Teallach but got blown off (LOL). If they were in central belt I probably wouldn't be that bothered but it's a long way to go to face again after I have already done the boggy approach and grass grabbing steepness of the first 600m for no reward.

I'm near Peebles - so a lot of my local favourites aren't particularly big days. I like the walk from Peebles to Broughton - I camped up on Penvalla last winter which is on that route:

15235748_1229038380504876_42614356798377

and I like the Grey Mare's Tail walk up to Loch Skeen and the horseshoe round the loch - I think it's the nicest spot in the Borders (but others might disagree):

2vb8ydc.jpg

Fionn Bheinn I did as a quick up and down on way to Torridon.
Already attempted western Fannichs day after An Teallach but got blown off (LOL). If they were in central belt I probably wouldn't be that bothered but it's a long way to go to face again after I have already done the boggy approach and grass grabbing steepness of the first 600m for no reward.

The Fannaichs get a better write up than they deserve tbh. Sgurr Mor and the view off BLMF are glorious but the other two were shite, as were The western two outliers. Awful weather played a part tbf. Hell will freeze over before I repeat Fionn Bheinn.

The Glen Lochay four look shit as well. I think our plan is a car at each side and do the four in a oner. A big day but I just want them over with.

Got another poor one out of the way today (Mullach Clach a'Bhlair). No views, and rain. Repeated Sgor Gaoith as it cleared though. A cracker of a summit.

I'm near Peebles - so a lot of my local favourites aren't particularly big days. I like the walk from Peebles to Broughton - I camped up on Penvalla last winter which is on that route:
15235748_1229038380504876_4261435679837703060_o.jpg?oh=1934c21f1fe1b9f9f19531c965773dcb&oe=5A0A7D03
and I like the Grey Mare's Tail walk up to Loch Skeen and the horseshoe round the loch - I think it's the nicest spot in the Borders (but others might disagree):
2vb8ydc.jpg

5e74e9458a657435c8fb336fac2ab071.jpga3225f6fab55ff53e432a5db14c7c7be.jpg

Did the white coomb in Easter and got a cracking day of weather for it.

3 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

The Fannaichs get a better write up than they deserve tbh. Sgurr Mor and the view off BLMF are glorious but the other two were shite, as were The western two outliers. Awful weather played a part tbf. Hell will freeze over before I repeat Fionn Bheinn.

The Glen Lochay four look shit as well. I think our plan is a car at each side and do the four in a oner. A big day but I just want them over with.

Got another poor one out of the way today (Mullach Clach a'Bhlair). No views, and rain. Repeated Sgor Gaoith as it cleared though. A cracker of a summit.

I did Sgurr Mor and BLMF along with An Coileachan and Meall Gorm from the south - after biking into Fannich Lodge along the easy estate road. It was a nice day and felt like a bit of an epic, so I enjoyed it. The "western 5", we did on a glorious day and apart from a morale killer dropping down to 450m and back up above 1000m again, It was a decent route. I don't disagree that they are a bit over-rated though...

On Glen Lochay - Creag Mhor and Beinn Hearsgaich were rock bottom of my to-do list and even the guide books make them sound rubbish - but I took the bike along the hydro track to shorten the day a bit and also didn't head across the huge peat bog at the end that mystifyingly seems to be the accepted route. I dropped off the ridge at pt.909 which was an easy descent and came back along the hydro track and it turned out to be a decent day - worth doing actually..Happy to share the route if you ever come to do it...

Could be worse:

13116178_1032533253488724_79501388255723

13112906_1032533226822060_38773225919049

30 minutes ago, Swello said:

I did Sgurr Mor and BLMF along with An Coileachan and Meall Gorm from the south - after biking into Fannich Lodge along the easy estate road. It was a nice day and felt like a bit of an epic, so I enjoyed it. The "western 5", we did on a glorious day and apart from a morale killer dropping down to 450m and back up above 1000m again, It was a decent route. I don't disagree that they are a bit over-rated though...

On Glen Lochay - Creag Mhor and Beinn Hearsgaich were rock bottom of my to-do list and even the guide books make them sound rubbish - but I took the bike along the hydro track to shorten the day a bit and also didn't head across the huge peat bog at the end that mystifyingly seems to be the accepted route. I dropped off the ridge at pt.909 which was an easy descent and came back along the hydro track and it turned out to be a decent day - worth doing actually..Happy to share the route if you ever come to do it...

Could be worse:

13116178_1032533253488724_79501388255723

13112906_1032533226822060_38773225919049

Is that first image the Sron Tairbh ridge? Doesn't look nearly as brutal as I'd thought it would be. I think I know the route you refer to. Someone posted it as an alternative to the bogfest on Walkhighlands. There's also a report on there of a guy who went in that stuff up to his chest in peat bog through the remains of a decomposing sheep. Horrendous stuff. I'm hoping (rofl) for a week of dry weather then my and my usual walking buddy will dump a vehicle at Lyon Dam and start from the "usual" layby for Sgiath Chuil/Meall Glas and do the four. It's a bit of a killer at 2200m+ ascent and 19 miles but my fitness levels are pretty much up to it now. Even if I have to split them, I'll probably bike 4 miles in from Lyon Dam and ascend/descend the ridges from the good track there. 

I had intended to 5 Western Fannichs a couple of weeks back, but got scunnered by constant drizzle and clag after the outliers and sacked it. Annoyingly I didn't factor just how pish the longer walk out would be. The path was pretty much a stream :lol:

I'm at that stage now where I sort of have to plan what hills I'm doing to a greater degree. Close to the 200 mark and worrying about leaving some real dross in the closing stages. My pal had meant to complete on Beinn na Lap, but ended up having to go up it earlier and his only other remaining hill was Beinn Mhanach :lol:

23 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Is that first image the Sron Tairbh ridge? Doesn't look nearly as brutal as I'd thought it would be. I think I know the route you refer to. Someone posted it as an alternative to the bogfest on Walkhighlands. There's also a report on there of a guy who went in that stuff up to his chest in peat bog through the remains of a decomposing sheep. Horrendous stuff. I'm hoping (rofl) for a week of dry weather then my and my usual walking buddy will dump a vehicle at Lyon Dam and start from the "usual" layby for Sgiath Chuil/Meall Glas and do the four. It's a bit of a killer at 2200m+ ascent and 19 miles but my fitness levels are pretty much up to it now. Even if I have to split them, I'll probably bike 4 miles in from Lyon Dam and ascend/descend the ridges from the good track there. 

I had intended to 5 Western Fannichs a couple of weeks back, but got scunnered by constant drizzle and clag after the outliers and sacked it. Annoyingly I didn't factor just how pish the longer walk out would be. The path was pretty much a stream :lol:

I'm at that stage now where I sort of have to plan what hills I'm doing to a greater degree. Close to the 200 mark and worrying about leaving some real dross in the closing stages. My pal had meant to complete on Beinn na Lap, but ended up having to go up it earlier and his only other remaining hill was Beinn Mhanach :lol:

Yes, it is the Sron Tairbh and it looks worse close up :) I had crampons on for it that day and it was pretty hard going but over quickly enough. 

On having a plan - I totally recommend it. I deliberately left a bunch of decent stuff - Lochnagar, Ben Eighe, Ben Nevis, Lhadar Bheinn, Grey Corries, the Buachaille - for the last 20 which gave me some motivation to get through the process of picking off lots of hills that I had never really fancied doing (and a decent selection for the last one).  

10 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yes, it is the Sron Tairbh and it looks worse close up :) I had crampons on for it that day and it was pretty hard going but over quickly enough. 

On having a plan - I totally recommend it. I deliberately left a bunch of decent stuff - Lochnagar, Ben Eighe, Ben Nevis, Lhadar Bheinn, Grey Corries, the Buachaille - for the last 20 which gave me some motivation to get through the process of picking off lots of hills that I had never really fancied doing (and a decent selection for the last one).  

I've tried to get through the "less attractive" ones lately. Other than the Killin nonsense, I don't have too many other reputedly awful hills left. A'Bhudenheach Bheag is probably the least attractive one left. How I regret my laziness in not doing it with Carn na Caim last year :lol:

Once I'm past the 200, I'll still have plenty of crackers left like the Mullardoch round, Skye Ridge, Etive Hills, Fisherfield, Knoydart/Rough Bounds and the far north. Decided to (hopefully) finish on Bla-bheinn next year. I'm both looking forward to finishing, and not looking forward to it being over, which is probably weird. 

Did Mount Keen today, walked through Glen Tanar to get there. Was quite a short day as far as munro days go, 5 hours was all it was. Had a cheeky dip in the river on the way back through the pine forest.

Did Mount Keen from the South side last week and only saw 8 other people on the whole walk. Did the 'Old Man of Coniston' in the Lake District yesterday and it must have been nearer 800 other folk on the hill.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Did Mount Keen from the South side last week and only saw 8 other people on the whole walk. Did the 'Old Man of Coniston' in the Lake District yesterday and it must have been nearer 800 other folk on the hill.

One of the main reasons I very rarely head to the Lakes despite them being closer to me than lots of Highland areas - can't stand the processions up the hills. I was in Ambleside for the weekend a couple of months back and even climbing a relatively obscure hill, there were more people than I've ever seen on a hill in Scotland. Makes you realise how lucky we are.

5 hours ago, Swello said:

One of the main reasons I very rarely head to the Lakes despite them being closer to me than lots of Highland areas - can't stand the processions up the hills. I was in Ambleside for the weekend a couple of months back and even climbing a relatively obscure hill, there were more people than I've ever seen on a hill in Scotland. Makes you realise how lucky we are.

Don't do much hill walking now but I used to do most of my climbing during the week and often you don't see a single other person.

If you do a Corbett midweek you are more or less guaranteed the place to yourself.

Even a lot of Munros at the weekend, you're lucky to see 1 or 2 others. Unless you're on the real honeypots, you won't see a lakes-esque queue in Scotland. The only place I've been that was as bad was Tinto on a sunny Sunday morning :)

Done Ben Nevis yesterday and at the summit some twat had put a tricolour with the Celtic badge at the top of it on the ruins of the old observatory, not to mention the numerous bottles of Buckfast left at the top.

Cant believe i have been on P and B that long and only found this :(

Edited by Jackie Moon

Sgor Gaoith's summit perch from Saturday. A decent reward for an unexciting slog up to Mullach Clach a'Bhlair, where we were greeted by clag and horizontal drizzle. The enormous mountain across Loch Einich is Braerich. I had to shoot this as a 4-image stitched pano to fit the fucker in :lol:. Managed the two summits and 16 mile route in 6.5 hours inc stops which was partially motivated by pish weather around the Mullach

35991653755_3542e9cb35_z.jpg

7 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Sgor Gaoith's summit perch from Saturday. A decent reward for an unexciting slog up to Mullach Clach a'Bhlair, where we were greeted by clag and horizontal drizzle. The enormous mountain across Loch Einich is Braerich. I had to shoot this as a 4-image stitched pano to fit the fucker in :lol:. Managed the two summits and 16 mile route in 6.5 hours inc stops which was partially motivated by pish weather around the Mullach

35991653755_3542e9cb35_z.jpg

Great photo from probably my favourite Cairngorms hill. If I ever do Sgor Gaoith again, it'll be via the nice bike ride from Colymbridge to Loch Einich as I certainly won't have any need to do a'Bhlair again as it's a bit of a non-entity...

38 minutes ago, Swello said:

Great photo from probably my favourite Cairngorms hill. If I ever do Sgor Gaoith again, it'll be via the nice bike ride from Colymbridge to Loch Einich as I certainly won't have any need to do a'Bhlair again as it's a bit of a non-entity...

SG is my favourite 'Gorm. I did it back in January on it's own from the standard route from Feshie and got a cloud inversion as well. The Loch Einich approach does look tremendous, I may use it to access Braeriach for a hopefully more enjoyable repeat :lol: