Hillwalking Thread

Anyone ever climbed/walked Mount Keen before? Looking to do this next month some time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Done it twice from Glen Esk, though it can also be done from Glen Tanar from the north, which I understand is the nicer approach, if a little longer. It's 11 miles walk from Glen Esk on easy tracks all the way.

3 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Hmm. Stob Ban from the Easains. That looks like it might be the track that passes the Lairig Leacach bothy.

Winner,!!!

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Is it Binnein Mor from Sgurr Eilde Mor?

Coming over the ridge I thought Stob Ban was Binnein Beag with the Mamores behind at first until I properly orientated myself.

10 hours ago, The Woolshed said:

Anyone ever climbed/walked Mount Keen before? Looking to do this next month some time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You coming from Aberdeenshire or Angus side?

Either way it's an easy enough walk. Couldn't comment on views as never had one up there.

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Winner,!!!

Coming over the ridge I thought Stob Ban was Binnein Beag with the Mamores behind at first until I properly orientated myself.

I'd also thought it might have been Binnein Beag and the other Stob Ban, looking at it now it's obvious, especially considering I had a fucking miserable time on that track in May, and actually climbed Stob Ban during that outing :lol:

Anyway, I'll throw one in here. Either the hill i'm descending or the one in front will do.

26791778802_265cbde554_k.jpg

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Are you defending to Loch Avon from Beinn Mheadhoin?

Wrong side of the country. It's west of the A9

57 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

Cheers for the advice. Unsure how to multi quote on the phone. We would be coming from Aberdeenshire side. This will be my first Munro although I've done a fair bit of casual walking (bennachie and such like).

Try this: (Also an excellent site in general for outdoorsy/hillwalking stuff)

Linkage

I'm hoping to get out this weekend, depending on a fairly iffy forecast. 

I quite fancy mountain-biking up a munro, so either Mount Keen from the south, or if the forecast is miraculous, Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith which look eminently cyclable. 

They would all be on my list of cycleable Munro's, although I would never be daft enough to actually try it.

There's a few all clustered around the north Perthshire area which I think look good candidates. Must be the geography of big rounded grassy hills.

Carn a'Gheoidh, Carn an Righ, Carn a'Chlamain, Beinn Dearg and anything on the east of Drumochter.

23 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

They would all be on my list of cycleable Munro's, although I would never be daft enough to actually try it.

There's a few all clustered around the north Perthshire area which I think look good candidates. Must be the geography of big rounded grassy hills.

Carn a'Gheoidh, Carn an Righ, Carn a'Chlamain, Beinn Dearg and anything on the east of Drumochter.

You can cycle right to the summit of Glas Tulaichean (one of my pals did it), though I've done the thing twice now and can't be arsed with it again. The only ones I really want to try are MCAB/Sgor Gaoith and the aforementioned Carn a'Chlamain and Beinn Dearg, though not right to the summits. 

Couldn't be arsed going out today, luckily as the weather turned shiter than forecast so watched my coupon fall apart in comedic fashion instead. Tomorrow looks OK though a particularly unpleasant front looks like it'll hit the east around 1-2pm. Might just do a quick bike/hike through Bachnagairn to Broad Cairn and back. Monday and Tuesday look superb. So much so that even MWIS is optimistic. I feel a short-notice annual leave request coming on :lol:

After that I'm heading to Ratagan for the WalkHighlands piss up, then a Gorton Bothy for another one the following week. Hoping to interrupt the nonsense with a few hills tbh. 

Took advantage of an unusually optimistic MWIS forecast to get up into the high 'Gorms and did Beinn a'Bhuird and Ben Avon. Took a bike about 8 miles and walked around 11 miles of it. Glorious day, got a bit overcast on Ben Avon, but I really enjoyed those two. The cycle back was a near effortless freewheel with some nice rocky singletrack thrown in. 

30267858490_883860c170.jpg

The Sneck

Edited by jupe1407
Ridiculous pic size upload

On 10/20/2016 at 23:21, jupe1407 said:

I'd also thought it might have been Binnein Beag and the other Stob Ban, looking at it now it's obvious, especially considering I had a fucking miserable time on that track in May, and actually climbed Stob Ban during that outing :lol:

Anyway, I'll throw one in here. Either the hill i'm descending or the one in front will do.

26791778802_265cbde554_k.jpg

It's obvious (I hope) now I think of it. Your are descending Beinn Bheoil looking at Ben Alder. I did this anti clockwise so didn't recognise the descent immediately

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's obvious (I hope) now I think of it. Your are descending Beinn Bheoil looking at Ben Alder. I did this anti clockwise so didn't recognise the descent immediately

Oops, I'd actually forgotten about this. 

Sorry, it's taken from the steep drop off Beinn a'Chlachair, looking over to Geal Charn (Ardverikie). I haven't done the Alder group yet, but having mapped out my route a few times I can see why it looks like that. If I'd had a wider angle lens Creag "Why am I a separate munro" Pitridh would have given the game away. 

Anyway, didn't do much at the weekend really. Head over to Kintail for a group meet at Ratagan, did a nice wee Corbett called Am Bathach and failed to get pished twice. Still, decent fun :lol: I've got this Friday off so me and a mate are going to attempt to MTB up to Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and over the Moine Mhor to Sgor Gaoith and back to Auchlean (seriously weather permitting), then I'm away to Glencoe for a night in the hostel there, an as-yet to be decided short walk on Saturday, followed by a bike into Gorton Bothy and a piss up. 

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ach i haven't done them so wont upset myself.

What are the WH meets like, i toyed with going a few years ago but there does seem to be some right humourless nobs post on the main board.

They don't go to meets :lol:

They're a good laugh tbh. More of social thing with a bit of walking thrown in, rather than the other way round. I've never been to a bad one, even at Kinlochewe, which has the worst bunkhouse i've yet experienced. 

I didn't mind Kinlochewe at all but then we had it to ourselves which makes a difference, I wouldn't have fancied the 3rd level bunks.

Also, why is kinlochewe called kinlochewe when it's not the ceann of Loch Ewe, it should be Kinlochmaree.

I was late there so ended up in the top bunk. Safe to say they aren't a lot of fun when half pished.

No idea re Kinlochewe. Probably some historic reason or confusion.

ETA. Loch Maree was originally called Loch Ewe

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fine wee trip last weekend. Took Friday off and left ridiculously early to tackle Beinn Mhanach from Loch Lyon dam. A 20 mile route, 17 of which can be cycled on a fairly decent track. Cracking views from Mhanach, however with about 4 miles of the cycle left, it fucking pished down. Still it was good to bag my "Cliff Thorburn" (147th) munro. 

30787546336_c90d9b5085_b.jpg

Stayed the night at the decent Independent Hostel in Glencoe, displeasingly being woken up by some tit setting off the fire alarm at 6am with a nuked attempt at a bacon roll. Even more displeasingly I awoke with a hangover after only 3 pints and a vodka. Fucking hell. 

A group of us then spent a day faffing around in various places before heading into Gorton Bothy. Mountain biking a few miles up a rough track with a ridiculously heavy rucksack was "interesting" to say the least. Still, we saw a brilliant sunset.

30523179710_d257895bb0_b.jpg

Things took a turn for the bizarre when a glasgow lad who we'd met at the Hostel fell in with us, also staying the night, but not before getting totally fucked on a bottle and a half of whisky, before going outside for a fag and falling down in the wet grass shouting "Stars are fuckin' brilliant man". The poor fucker woke up the following morning looking like a corpse. We left him the remaining booze, scran and some coal as he wanted to stay another night on his own. Quite a night. 

The bike back out the following morning was glorious and fucking quick. Unlikely to get out this weekend as the forecast is fucking gash.