New Home For Albion Rovers?

Guest Clydewanker

Guest Clydewanker

From Morton Board.

Re: SPL approve ground-sharing

Author: two ton tess

Date:  01-04-04 09:38

It seems that North Lanarkshire council are in talks with Albion Rovers to provide them with a perminent home at Broadwood starting next year. It seems that they think they would be better tenents than Clyde.

It seems they are fed up with being forced to build the extra stand and not being payed their rent money.

Looks like the council are cracking down on problem tenents. Good move for Albion Rovers if true. Good stadium with room to grow and a sympathetic Council.

That's just speculation as far as I know, but not a complete impossibility.

It wouldn't surprise me, as it would solve NLC 's problem of having an empty stadium for a season (if Clyde win the title), and more importantly, the Rovers wouldn't have to go to New New Kilbowie and be in league with the Devil.

Guest Clydewanker

The Council only have the threat of eviction to make Clyde pay rent, but if Clyde are going to be ground sharing at Killie with only Clyde and Killie reserve matches at Broadwood, (no cup games as it's not their nominated ground), then I can see the council cutting their losses and getting another team in that will play there full time.

After all the money that the Council has payed out for the Stadium so far and the promise of more money if needed for the extra stand for SPL game, the Council are percieving the move to Killie as two fingers stuck up at them. It is the Council who are in the worst position. Pay for the new stand and they don't go up, or don't and Clyde move away. They have no "hold" over the club whatsoever and can't force repayments.

An Albion Rovers move would suit both sides. I also understand that covert talks are underway. shh!

More news when I get it.

• 2 years later...
For all the criticism Cliftonhill gets, I'd much rather go there than a number of grounds in the 3rd.

Totally agree. Despite (or possibly because of) the fact that it's about as far away from state of the art facilities as you could get, it's still one of my favourite away trips. Sooner it than all the new grounds we have to visit.

Not sure what good a 4000ish seater stadium would be when our average attendance is 3-400, I think a move to Cumbernauld would be the end of the Rovers.

Agree 100%...Would kill us.

Archived