The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

I see that El Hadji Diouf has has signed up. It's on 'non contract' terms but still an absolute waste of time.

"For many years I`ve thought he is a gutter-type of boy and I was going to call him a sewer rat but that might be insulting the sewer rats. I think he`s the lowest of the low.

'I can't see him being at Blackburn much longer because I can't see Steve Kean putting up with someone like that in the dressing room when he is trying to form a new image for Blackburn.

'I think he will be the first to go and good riddance - I hope he goes abroad because I won't miss watching him.'

Neil Warnock is a joke of a man.

"For many years I`ve thought he is a gutter-type of boy and I was going to call him a sewer rat but that might be insulting the sewer rats. I think he`s the lowest of the low.

'I can't see him being at Blackburn much longer because I can't see Steve Kean putting up with someone like that in the dressing room when he is trying to form a new image for Blackburn.

'I think he will be the first to go and good riddance - I hope he goes abroad because I won't miss watching him.'

I'd love to be at that first meeting between the two of them*. Awkward...

*I wouldn't actually. They're both c***s.

I didn't think this club could get any scummier.

It's clear you're not keen on the latest signing & I can understand why people think like that. At the same time the player in question has played for a number of clubs, did you post similar comments on the particular clubs message boards when he signed contracts in the past?

Why in your opinion are Leeds United any "scummier" than any other club, what are they guilty of that other clubs haven't been?

I'm down in Leeds at the weekend for the game as I've not seen my older brother in yonks and he invited me down to watch the Leeds - Shrewsbury cup game, since he and a few of his pals were planning to book a hotel in leeds, go watch the football and go for a night out afterward.

Thing is, him and his friends are all Shrewsbury fans, so we'll all be in the away end. 'Mon Shrewsbury :P

My brother says it's only £12 for a ticket in the away end, which is quite good I thought. Hoping for a good time down in Leeds anyway.

Well, that was a hell of a weekend!

The game itself was really strange; I thought Shrewsbury started really well, generally matched Leeds throughout the game and at times overran them in midfield (I'd like to see some possession stats/shot stats for the game...) The defending at times was unbelievably poor though so in that respect its hard to argue too much with the result. First goal was a speculative shot that the Shrews keeper couldn't hold, but there still shouldn't have been any danger as the ball fell nicely for a Shrews defender to clear... except he trys to shoulder it back to the keeper, fucks it up, ball falls to Becchio about 5 yards out, boom, 1-0.

Second goal was a good yard offside, from a linesman who had a poor game throughout (missed offside decision for killer second goal, didn't give Shrews a penalty for what looked a fairly clear handball at 2-0, and missed a pretty blatant touch from a great Paddy Kenny save to tip the ball round the post, awarding a GK instead. Although I'm pretty glad for the last one, because it created the rather amusing situation afterwards where every Shrews corner in the second half was cheered like a goal. I'm not exaggerating; I know we do a simliar "WHEEEEEEEY" sarcastic shout if a ref makes an arse of a decision at Firhill, but this was full-on, fans-hugging-each-other-and-doing-knee-slides celebrating, and it was fucking hilarious. laugh.gif) After that it became academic. The big right back for Shrewsbury was great, my brother told me to keep an eye on him as he was one to watch and he didn't disappoint. Really composed.

Night out was good, memory is incredibly hazy though.

As much as I agree is hypocritical I can understand why he's done it. Leeds have a woefully small squad and Warnock has spent all summer chasing a Right Winger who could grab some goals. He's admitted he tried to sign upwards of 5 EPL players but has been out-priced and there's not many free agents as good as Diouf. He spoke to the Doncaster manager and got a glowing report on Diouf so has offered him a pay-as-you-play deal to see how it goes, if it goes well he'll sign a proper contract, if not he'll be chucked

It's clear you're not keen on the latest signing & I can understand why people think like that. At the same time the player in question has played for a number of clubs, did you post similar comments on the particular clubs message boards when he signed contracts in the past?

Why in your opinion are Leeds United any "scummier" than any other club, what are they guilty of that other clubs haven't been?

This isn't a Leeds messageboard.

Leeds have a scumbag manager, a scumbag chairman and have now signed the king of the scumbags as a player.

This isn't a Leeds messageboard.

Leeds have a scumbag manager, a scumbag chairman and have now signed the king of the scumbags as a player.

Fair enough I'll re-phrase the question.

At the same time the player in question has played for a number of clubs, did you post similar comments on the particular clubs message boards or threads dedicated to the club in question when he signed contracts in the past?

Plenty of scum bags in football, you won't find me defending Diouf however.

Interesting comments from Warnock on the leeds OS:-

United manager Neil Warnock says he has nothing to lose by giving Senegalese international El Hadji Diouf the chance to impress at Elland Road.

The former Liverpool and Blackburn man joined on a non-contract basis on Thursday and made his debut as a second half substitute in Saturday's 4-0 Elland Road win against Shrewsbury Town.

"I met him about six or seven weeks ago," explained the boss. "It wasn't a planned meeting, but we ended up having an hour- and-a-half chat and I told him what I disliked about him and he talked to me about the things that he's done in football.

"It opened my eyes in what I thought about him and nobody has said worse things about him than I have. It would have been easy for me not to bring him to the club but I've never been one to shirk a situation.

"A friend of mine, Micky Walker, who was at Doncaster Rovers, couldn't speak highly enough of him. He said he's good in the dressing room, he's excellent with the youngsters, and is a bit of a likeable rogue. And he told me his weaknesses.

"We're also short on the right hand side. There's a not a lot of money without moving players out - there's a couple of Premiership lads I've looked at, but they're on a lot of money - so I thought we'd have a look

"We're going to be looking for a few more goals from that position as well and he fits the bill. It'll take the pressure off me as well because they'll have a go at him not me! Its non contract, so we've nothing to lose."

• 2 weeks later...

Our Capital One Cup third round clash against Everton will take place on Tuesday September 25 (7.45pm).

The game has also been selected for live TV coverage by Sky Sports.

Everton haven't visited Elland Road since April 2004 and our last League Cup meeting was in December 1991 when a 4-1 win at Goodison Park sent us through to the quarter-finals.

Full ticket information for this game will be available in due course.

• 4 weeks later...

Leeds goalscorer Aidan White on Sky Sports: "I have been dreaming of finally scoring for Leeds and it finally came tonight. I just kind of took it early and got the keeper unexpected. I was just delighted to see it go in. Hopefully we can go all the way."

Leeds defender Jason Pearce: "It was a brilliant performance from the boys. These are the kind of nights you want to be involved in. We had to battle it out but as a team we were superb."