The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

A story about Pep

I’m going to tell you a story. When I was Bilbao coach, we played the final against Barcelona, who won 3-0. They were generous with us because after the third goal they stopped playing. I was very sad to lose this game. When the game finished I sent to Guardiola, this analysis as a gift expressing my admiration for him. He told me ‘you know more about Barcelona than me.’

But it was useless because they scored three goals against us.

I do this to feel well, I see that this information does not allow you to win games.

Half of the goals we conceded are from set pieces. if the spying was effective, we would have found a solution on this subject. But it was not useful at all for us.

Here we have the analysis for all teams [points to rows of folders]. This is this season, this for last season. This is for the friendlies. We went to watch the opponent.

What I want to tell you is that I want to be judged for my intentions. I don’t need th information I gather. In my eyes, I feel I am innocent. I don’t feel I’m trying to get a moral advantage. I feel I have done something not forbidden.

I dont have bad intentions. Is this right? No, I don’t say that. But we have to analyse the behavours, taking into account the intentions of the person behaving this way.

More from Bielsa's coach

BIelsa’s coach continues:

We will try to see in each picture all the free-kicks Derby made before. Each ball in set pieces, we show like this. Each one.

Back to Bielsa:

Is this useful? No, because half of the goals we concede are from set pieces.

His coach again:

We know if they made 184 corners, 33 were dangerous, we know quantitative data. We try to find weaknesses of the goalkeeper. Where we can press. The players know about the opponent.

Back to Bielsa

To conclude, as we’re going to play Stoke, it’s hard because they have a new head coach who has played just three games.

So what did we do? We analyse the 26 games he played with Luton and we analysed the tactical structures we used. I would like to be held with the maximum humility.

I give this explanation to amke you understand why I think I am not cheating, by doing something that is not illegal. I know I am not trying to get an advantage. I already have the information.

I repeat: Why do I do it? Because I think I’m stupid.

I thank you for you patience.

Strange to loads of ex pros supposedly shocked by this. Am I the only one that isn’t suprised that this doesn’t go on more, Im pretty sure I have heard this before in a biography but can remember which one. Wouldn't put it past certain individuals to bug dressing rooms etc.

Strange to loads of ex pros supposedly shocked by this. Am I the only one that isn’t suprised that this doesn’t go on more, Im pretty sure I have heard this before in a biography but can remember which one. Wouldn't put it past certain individuals to bug dressing rooms etc.
Same here.
Surprised at the outrage this has caused.
If these clubs dont want people spying on their training sessions, employ security to make sure it doesn't happen.
Love to see this happen then Biesla flying one of those drones overhead.

I haven't visited this particular forum for a well, so most of the outside-Scotland stuff comes from SI's/FM's Football Forum.  With a few exceptions, and the best will in the world, it seems to be full of people who'll spend the summer with a knotted hanky on their heads muttering about where they can get a good fry-up.  I'm sure you get the picture.

So I wanted to come here and see what the general consensus was on this stuff.  I always expect the media to be quite split, but mostly erring on the side of "spirit of the game".  The other forum seems to be very much along those lines, debating about the core of whether it's cheating or not.

I am delighted to see that everyone here, unless I'm missing someone, sees this as largely harmless, and mostly a great fucking laugh.  It really shows just how sanitised and boring English football has become when this becomes a big issue.  Would we even bat an eyelid over something like this up here?  Christ, lighten up a bit.

.  Would we even bat an eyelid over something like this up here?  Christ, lighten up a bit.

Not sure I agree with you here - imagine if it came out that Celtic or Rangers were caught doing this the week of an Old Firm game?